Homemade Mayo storage

sboavida

Hi! I only made homemade olive oil mayo once but I was afraid to eat it after a day or so because I don't really know for how long you can safely store it in your fridge and I was afraid of food poisoning.

So, how long can you store it safely? Also anyone has tried to put garlic and herbs in your mayo? Sounds like something I am wiling to try...

Thanks!

• Moderators

I tend to keep my mayo about a week, give or take a day or two. Usually by then I've used most, if not all, of it so it's not a big loss if I toss it and make a new batch.

You can definitely add garlic or herbs to it. I've made a whole batch with a head or roasted garlic and some other herbs, that was really good, even though it was thinner than usual. Other times I just take part of my batch and mix it with herbs to make a dip or dressing for one meal -- I have a dill blend that's good for this, but any herbs you think sound good would work. I also sometimes will mix it with mustard and use that mixture as a dressing for a hamburger salad (greens topped with ground beef and whatever you like on a burger, like tomatoes, onions, and pickles).

I've always followed the expiration date of the egg you use to make the mayo but mine never lasts more than a week because we eat it on everything! ;-) I use a mason jar to make and store mine. (I think it's a pint.) It has a one cup marker on the jar so I start with one cup of oil, drop one egg in, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp mustard powder. I blend it with a stick immersion blender and the whole process takes about 5 mins total. The jar seems to seal well and store well in the door of the fridge. And yes, you can definitely add spices!

Archived