The dreaded headaches (days 2-4)

Hi All, 

Figured I'd touch base in case I'm missing something obvious. I do have somewhat of a chronic history of headaches/migraines, which I'm *hoping* I will see less of once I get through the detox phase. Had to take one of my Rx pills last night, but other than that have been avoiding otc meds. This is my first W30 and I'm just starting Day 4.

background: In general, I did eat some crap (before), but ate whole foods every day. I'm not a smoker. I rarely drink soda and very rarely drink alcohol. On an average, non-exercise day, I probably drink about 96oz water (3 standard nalgene's) + black coffee, sometimes Lacroix sparkling water, sometimes tea. I've been drinking extra water (out of thirst) since starting the program. 

Most days of the week I bicycle-commute to and from work, which is ~20-25 min of easy-moderate riding each way. Sometimes I would also do a 30-min workout on top of that, but the most I've done this week is just walk the dog 20-40 minutes a couple times. I've biked every day of my W30, but not as intensely as I might usually. I haven't been treating this activity as a workout because it is fairly short and not intense. Yesterday I did eat 1 dried fig and 4 almonds before biking home because I felt so sick from headache. It didn't make a noticeable difference, but I did get home alright. 

Woke up Day 2 with an average (aka NOT a migraine or even close) headache which persisted all day. Felt really dehydrated and drank tons of water. Everyone tells me this is normal. That night I woke up at 4am. Went back to sleep. Still had headache upon waking Day 3. Lasted all day, but until afternoon was not as bad as day 2. Drank some green tea mid-afternoon, and that seemed to help. Headache almost completely went away for the better part of an hour, and then suddenly came pounding back with nausea. Lasted the rest of the day. Managed to get home, take a migraine pill (Rx), eat something and lay down. Headache eased a bit and I was able to walk the dog for 45 min (slow, easy walking). Went to bed early, still with a headache. Woke up at 3am with head pounding. Tried to massage the base of my skull with some success. Fell back asleep. Woke up almost pain free, but now that I've stood up, the mild headache is back. Maybe I just have to stick it out through this phase, but if there's anything I can adjust please advise.

Here are some of the meals I've been eating:

1 1/2 cups turkey-sweet potato chili w/ whole avocado, additional handful of frozen mixed veg, 1/2 a mango

2 hard-boiled eggs w/ mustard, pairs of asparagus spears wrapped with prosciutto (~7 asparagus & 3 slices of meat), a pile of broccoli, carrots & onions sautéed in coconut oil, small handful of flaked coconut

2 handfuls of chopped kale sautéed in coconut oil, 2 eggs, palm-sized piece of chicken breast, 1 small red potato w/ homemade ketchup

1 can albacore tuna w/ diced celery, onion, carrot, 2 dollops of homemade mayo, wrapped up in 4-5 leaves of Romaine hearts w/ the extra tossed with a handful of spinach, 1 small red potato w/ homemade ketchup (I could have had more veg with this meal but was already quite nauseous from headache)

Some of your meals look a little light to me... and light on protein in particular.

Your 1.5 cups of turkey-sweet potato chilli probably didn't amount to very much considering the veg, and when eggs are your only source of protein in a meal a serving is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand. I'm a 5'2" female and I can hold four when hungry. Proscuitto is more of a fat, and a light one at that so I'd not even count that...

Fat wise you also look a little light - and fat will *definitely* help with the headaches. Don't count the fat you use for cooking, and add an extra source to each meal - and be generous here, especially if it's just oil/ghee rather than a more solid fat like olives or avocado, although your whole avocado is maybe a little over-board in the first meal you listed - maybe aim for a half. I'd also save any fruit/starchy veg for later in the day.

If you're going to eat anything before cycling try & make it fat & protein - eating fruit will encourage your body to burn sugar when you want it to be tapping into fat stores and it will also impact your blood sugar, possibly aggravating any headaches... If you feel like you've raised your heart rate then may be try for a few bites of a lean protein when you're done cycling - no fat, no fruit.

Are you salting your food?

Thanks, this is helpful! I've been including 2 servings of fat at every meal, BUT I was counting the cooking fat so I'll add more.

Day 5 and so far very little headache. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Meal 1 today: 

onions, mushrooms, garlic & a large handful of chopped kale sautéed in olive oil

4 eggs scrambled & topped with a dollop of ghee, tomatoes, 1/2 an avocado, spoonful of homemade ketchup and I salted the whole plate. 

Meal 2: 

1 1/2 palmfuls of chicken breast, 2 *small* sweet potatoes, the other 1/2 avocado, handful of kalamata olives and 1/2 a bag of frozen mixed veggies.

Better?

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this makes me soooo happy! Not because you're suffering Barfygarfy but because I am too and now I know I'm not the only one. I am on day 2 and this morning I woke with a headache and have felt like I'm walking through wet concrete all day! I didn't expect the sugar detox to be this immediate!! I mean I know I eat crap regularly but I also drink a lot of water (it's 3:45) here and I'm 96 oz in and I exercise regularly. 

I too have chronic migraines and have resisted the urge to knock the edge off this headache all day because while it's annoying it is NOT migraine level.

Good responses about food too. I don't think I ate enough for lunch but don't have anything else complaint with me and dinner is at least 5 hours away. How bad is this? Wait, I didn't bring an apple and banana but was trying to save them for later, maybe I should eat one now.

Archived