Very long period.

mmmartha

I know there are a lot of posts about menstrual cycles already. I tried to read through a bunch but none seemed to address my specific issue.

I am on day 26 of my whole30 and day SIXTEEN of my period. It has been light but steady for all this time, basically three times as long as usual.

I figure the dietary change could cause all sorts of cycle changes but I confess I am starting to be concerned and I really want a little hand holding and to hear any thoughts on this. I am overweight and I am sure I'm eating significantly less carbs on whole30 than before. Other than the weird bleeding everything has been good and I'm getting good results from the program.

Thanks for reading!!

• Moderators

I know there are a lot of posts about menstrual cycles already. I tried to read through a bunch but none seemed to address my specific issue.

I am on day 26 of my whole30 and day SIXTEEN of my period. It has been light but steady for all this time, basically three times as long as usual.

I figure the dietary change could cause all sorts of cycle changes but I confess I am starting to be concerned and I really want a little hand holding and to hear any thoughts on this. I am overweight and I am sure I'm eating significantly less carbs on whole30 than before. Other than the weird bleeding everything has been good and I'm getting good results from the program.

Thanks for reading!!

If you are concerned about something like this, the person you really should be talking to is your doctor.  Yes, significant changes in diet can cause changes in your period, but other things can also be going on, and it's definitely worth speaking with a trusted physician to make sure there's nothing you need to be worried about.

• Moderators

There's no handholding that we can do on the internet to tell you that this is normal or that you're fine... that would not be in your best interest and it's not for us to say if a 16 day period is normal. It's not. Your doctor is the one you should talk to, as Shannon said above as you said you were concerned. If you're not concerned then that's okay too but aside from us saying 'hormones can get screwy while they rebalance', we're not medical professionals and we're not qualified to say anything else.

Personally I would go see the doctor, even if it's just to get an iron test to make sure you're not getting anemic.

I had similar symptoms a while back - turns out I had a polyp in my uterus that I had to get removed. They're also common on the cervix. Some people just get them, and they're pretty easily removed (unless like me it's in your uterus) and the problem goes away with it. Oh, and they don't affect your ability to get pregnant - two months after mine was removed, I got pregnant the first time hubby and I tried and little Twig is now 3 months old. Definitely ask your doctor to look into it!

My doc is really great about answering questions over the phone. A simple call might get you what you need: either a "come in if it keeps up for x more days" or "please come in TODAY". Some docs always say " come in" but hopefully yours is willing to give a bit of advice over the phone.

Archived