June 1st 2016! DO or DIE right?!?!

socalmama

Happy First Day, Everyone!  I think I did pretty good considering I didnt really have much time to prepare completely!  

Meal 1:Eggs scrambled with onions, peppers and tomatoes

Meal 2: Grass fed beef burger with onion, tomato, mustard wrapped in lettuce leaf.

Afternoon Snack: Apple with almond butter

Meal 3: Pork chops and saurkraut.  

thanks for all the support in here.  I look forward to checking in each day. 

Yea!!!! Day 1 complete!! You started nice & strong!!! Here we go.... Day 2!!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did pretty good for day 1

veggie omelet, half an avocado and half an apple for breakfast with ginger&turmeric tea

Lunch was a Sautee bowl of seasoned ground beef, cabbage,mushrooms and peppers

Dinner was fish, roasted balsamic cabbage steaks and roast sweet potato.

What balamic recipe did you use? Day 1 is behind us! Only 29 more to go! You got this!!

Hi all!

Today I started my very first Whole30!!!

Last December I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I could not believe it and neither could my doc. He had me do the lab-work again, just to make sure there wasn't a mistake. There wasn't :o .

I have no family history of diabetes, I have always been pretty active, have been going to the gym 3-5 days per week for 14 years, I am not really overweight, although I have been trying to loose the same 20 pounds for 20 years ;) I don't drink Coke, Dr. Pepper or any of that crap, never have, and I "thought" I have always eaten fairly "clean"...

So, with that diagnosis, I started reading EVERYTHING I could find to try figure out what the heck caused this to happen to ME!!!

I REFUSE to be diabetic!!! NO-NO-NO!!!

In my reading/research I came across the "Wheat Belly" book and read it in two days! Then I found  "It Starts With Food" and read it in two days. This stuff is FASCINATING to me!!! I am almost finished with "Whole 30".

This is what I think happened: When my daughter was a few months old I discovered that Cheerios were a great finger food for babies, so I got her some. And I started eating them...EVERY SINGLE day, for almost 35 years!!! I'll bet I DIDN'T have one (or two) bowls of Cheerios (w/milk & sugar) maybe 10 days in the last 35 years. Is this possible?!? 

Anyway, that's my theory.

All that said, I am REALLY REALLY REALLY missing my Cheerios. That is gonna be the hardest part of this journey for me, but I'm gonna do it!!!

Day one down ~ let's do this!!!

Oh my goodness!! I would be shocked by that diagnosis myself!!! Welcome to our group! Sounds like you have the exercise under control now just to balance out the nutrition angle. Isn't crazy how we form "habits" that we feel are harmless at 1st?

So guys I have something to share. I Am going to try to do as close to 100% as possible for this but it won't happen. I am currently at a military field exercise and have to eat what they give me. However they almost always seem to have a grain less meat option and veggies so I will be as Whole30 as possible. However I still need your support to get through this, even if I don't actually know if my eggs are powdered or if my meatloaf has flour in it but I have to work with what I have. Please support me even if I am not 100% to the best of my knowledge I am.

Over my past primal and whole30 expectancies I have found I am very sensitive to grains and sugar so it feels imperative to stay on track, even when everybody around me eats awful and tries to peruse me to joining in.

Saw your IG post last night! Congrats for finding the positive & working with what you have & thank you for your service! it is so easy to just pick the "quick, fast, easy route" but you didn't! You went for the BEST choices!! Hooray Day 1 is over!!

I had a good day today...

Breakfast: homemade sausage, cucumber & avocado and a fried egg over arugula

Lunch: turkey breast, almonds and an orange

Dinner: carnitas salad at Chipotle (romaine, carnitas, double tomato salsa, guacamole)

Plus I got my 15k steps in for the first day of June (going to try to make a 30 day streak).

We're on a small dog show related road trip through Sunday. Since our motel room has a refrigerator, I made a frittata, brought the leftover (cooked) sausage, some veggies, a knife and cutting board, leftover tri tip and pork tenderloin, and some canned tuna/salmon. We're going to eat out of the motel room for breakfast and lunch, so I only have to worry about dinners out. I suspect in addition to sticking to my plan, we'll save some money that way too. Going to be HOT (105+) the next couple of days and the motel doesn't have a gym, so I'm going to have to get creative getting steps.

Yay!!! I love my fitbit!!!! Be super careful at Chipotle!! They do marinate their meat (i called its been a fave of mine) side note: use the stairs, & walk up & down the hallways  for more steps!=) 

Day 1 down. Had a hard time sleeping and have a headache this morning. I think it's because I'm used to having wine at night. Bring on day 2!!!

I miss my WINE!! (ok more of a champagne girl) With all the upcoming graduations, it is gonna be interesting! Although pg 392 i believe has some "pretend" sangrias! =)

I survived the first day... with only two trips to the grocery store! Luckily it's less than two blocks away.

Breakfast: Tuna guacamole salad in lettuce leaves with apple slices

Lunch: Mushroom, onion, and basil omelette with bacon and kombucha

Snack: Apple slices and almond butter

Dinner: Chicken, mango salsa, and peanut sauce in lettuce with bok choy

Now the hangover starts...

I am so glad I am not the only one! I too hit the grocery stores looking for items! I am so glad we made it through day 1!!! 

Good Morning Day2!!!!!!

WOW day1 wasn't to BAD LOL... Started feeling energized & went to bed at 11pm with a migraine!! 

Breakfast: 4 egg whites w/ spinach, blk olives, mushrooms. Coffee w/ califia almond milk (ya this did not taste good at all, 2 sips & done!)

Snack: I know I know but I need it!! Larabar - cashew cookie

Lunch: Chicken w/ cauliflower rice & apple w/ cinnamon

Dinner: Chicken Lime w/ spinach & peppers

RAN 3 miles (it was global running day)

*PWO meal: egg whites 

I had 6 glasses 8oz of water

Ontop of running around & graduation prepping & decorating! 

Also I see many of you like almond butter: look into Nuttzo Power Fuel (this is the only whole30 complaint one)

By the time I took a shower I was in full migraine mode.

Day 2 is starting off well! Repeat of breakfast & I was able to drink a bit more coffee (I am looking into the nutpod creamer) BUT I FORGOT my LUNCH!!!! I am off at 12:30 so hopefully no one loses an arm! xoxo 

Today is my first day, so I'm a day behind you all. So far, so good! I had a great breakfast with chicken-apple sausage, mushrooms, and broccoli with an egg, and some coffee w/coconut milk (thanks for the tips in this forum on using an immersion blender with this!). Packed a healthy salad for lunch, and working on a cauliflower-rice based "paella" for dinner... should be tasty. Lots of water, and maybe some raw almonds along the way, depending on how my day goes.

• Moderators

Good Morning Day2!!!!!!

WOW day1 wasn't to BAD LOL... Started feeling energized & went to bed at 11pm with a migraine!! 

Breakfast: 4 egg whites w/ spinach, blk olives, mushrooms. Coffee w/ califia almond milk (ya this did not taste good at all, 2 sips & done!)

Snack: I know I know but I need it!! Larabar - cashew cookie

Lunch: Chicken w/ cauliflower rice & apple w/ cinnamon

Dinner: Chicken Lime w/ spinach & peppers

RAN 3 miles (it was global running day)

*PWO meal: egg whites 

I had 6 glasses 8oz of water

Ontop of running around & graduation prepping & decorating! 

Also I see many of you like almond butter: look into Nuttzo Power Fuel (this is the only whole30 complaint one)

By the time I took a shower I was in full migraine mode.

Day 2 is starting off well! Repeat of breakfast & I was able to drink a bit more coffee (I am looking into the nutpod creamer) BUT I FORGOT my LUNCH!!!! I am off at 12:30 so hopefully no one loses an arm! xoxo 

Hey there... sorry to hear of your migraine... you really need to work on eating to the meal template and I think you'll have less issue with headaches.

Why are you only eating egg whites for breakfast?  We eat the whole egg here... it's a whole and complete food when eaten in its entirety.

The snack makes sense because your breakfast was quite slim but if you're needing to eat between meals we suggest protein and fat or protein and veggies... larabars are for emergencies and unfortunately not eating enough on a regular basis is not an emergency (not saying this is a regular basis but we don't want this to become habit).

Your lunch and dinner show no added fat so the only fat you ate was an amount of black olives with your meal 1

The recommendation also is for 1/2oz of water per pound of body weight (not including that consumed during exercise) so 48oz is good ifyou weigh 96 pounds.

Both the not eating of enough fat or protein and not drinking enough water along with detox of any sort is going to be a huge migraine trigger so check out the template linked below and let us know if you have any questions.

Another day! One of the those days. I don't think it is because of Whole30. Just work and the heat (it is almost 5:30 and 95 degrees outside), and poor planning/laziness 

Meals

Breakfast 3 eggs scrambled in ghee, black coffee, 1/2 grapefruit

Snack/lunch? : cashew larabar, black decaf

Snack 2 oz sunflower seeds

lunch/dinner:  meatloaf w/ 1/2 small potato

I really missed the stevia and cream in my coffee this morning. I kept putting off making/eating real meal of lunch (and it was already thawed so all I had to do was put it in the microwave). I did look forward to my break of eating and getting on this forum/message board, so that was good. 

I am starting to re-read the books ISWF and W30 again. 

I really like reading all the postings - it is nice to know I'm not alone in this.

I did alright last night with some decaf and a few almonds (ugh stale almonds). 

I need to get more organized - I recently saw a one dish (jar) ranch dressing recipe, but now I don't remember where it was. 

I have a whole crock pot of bone broth to strain and put away, and I can make veggie beef soup, that will help!

That is my check-in for now. 

Most everyone looks like they are having a pretty great day2!

I miss my WINE!! (ok more of a champagne girl) With all the upcoming graduations, it is gonna be interesting! Although pg 392 i believe has some "pretend" sangrias! =)

I miss my wine too!! as well as cheese, but I keep telling myself "its only 30 days".   ;)

I know bacon is a no-no except for a certain brand that is compliant.  Does anyone know what that brand name is?  also, my grocer has Aidelle (sp?) sausage but most of iit has cheese in it.  I have other options for grocers, but Im wondering what brand sausage you all use.  thanks!

Day 2 was awesome! I felt hungover this morning, but the rest of the day went great and I have a lot of energy right now (7:00ish pm).  

HOJABO - may I ask about the Cheerios? Was it the plain one in the yellow box? Do you think the sugar you added played a role or the actual grains from the Cheerios? My husband eats it everyday (no sugar) because he thinks it's healthy. I'm just curious what you found out. (Don't kno how to quote from my phone)

As for me, day 3 is in the books! Made it to the blood test. After some pistachios on the drive home so I wouldn't go to a drive thru. Breakfast was after 9am - 3 eggs, sautéed mushrooms, half tomato and half avocado.

Lunch- leftover meat sauce with spaghetti squash

Dinner - almond flour crusted chicken tenders, roasted broccoli, leftover grilled veggies, zucchini salad.

I made two of the salads from the Whole30 book. One with zucchini and sunshine sauce and the other with cabbage and lemon garlic EVOO. Took a while but at least I have something to eat tomorrow.

This whole experience isn't so bad. The biggest thing I miss is sweet creamy coffee, but I've learned to embrace black coffee. The key for me is to have things ready. It takes time but I'm determined to stick to this and see where it takes me.

Everyone is doing great! Love hearing how you have found ways around challenges that have come up.

well day 2 was pretty uneventful.  

breakfast = scrambled eggs with orange peppers, fruit salad

lunch = chicken breast green beans

dinner = pork loin, broccoli, watermelon & cantaloupe

water - 72 oz - a little low

mild headache = diet or work??  feel okay no real challenges yet, well maybe the occasional craving that last a couple of minutes. I chug some water when I get the cravings and it does alleviate them.

Now bed and face day 3!

Day 2 is done and aside from a headache I am amazed that I am not "suffering" more than I am.  I have done a diet program (the one with the points) multiple times in the past.  While I started off well I have come to realize that it wasn't about how much I was eating but what I was eating.  I would make better choices, smaller portions, lower calorie/fat options but basically I was eating the same things.  My body was telling me "I WANT MORE."  As a result I was not successful.  I was still eating bread and carbs but I was going for the whole grains because they had a lower point value. Bread is still bread, cheese is still cheese, etc.

My plan is to keep it simple.  If my family wants hamburgers tonight, we will have them.  I'll just eat mine without the bun or have a bun alternative.  For me if I overthink or start planning things to far out I start to focus too much on what I can and can't have.  I just am keeping compliant things in the house and go from there. One thing I know about myself is if I focus on the entire process I will fail.  I know most people have said plan, plan and plan however I think that is why I failed the other plan.  Too much focus on what I can or can't have for the day in order to meet a points goal was a recipe for failure for me.

Does anyone feel the same?

I do know that things probably will get worse before they get better but I am remaining positive, taking one day at a time.

Good Luck all on Day 3.

• Moderators

well day 2 was pretty uneventful.  

breakfast = scrambled eggs with orange peppers, fruit salad

lunch = chicken breast green beans

dinner = pork loin, broccoli, watermelon & cantaloupe

water - 72 oz - a little low

mild headache = diet or work??  feel okay no real challenges yet, well maybe the occasional craving that last a couple of minutes. I chug some water when I get the cravings and it does alleviate them.

Now bed and face day 3!

The headache could quite possibly be from not eating enough... I see no fat in any of your meals.  We don't really count cooking fat because it mostly stays in the pan or gets divided up between servings so get that added fat in according to the template (linked in my signature below).

I  MISS my GUM!!!! day 3.. we got this!!!

Day 2 was so busy with work & graduation! We ate out (Lucilles BBQ house) & the staff was great with my needs! I had Grilled plain chicken breasts, with a side salad of lettuce, cucumbers, and tomatoe w/ oil/vingar, baked potato (plain w/ salt) & watermelon. 

I have been cooking with ghee & like cooking with it (not adding to my coffee) 

I notice more & more how I depend on gum (that chewing sensation) but good news I do not feel as bloated! 

I still struggle with balancing out the food/meals, meaning adding the "fats". that is going to be a nice positive for me.. learning how to really eat & fuel my body the BEST & RIGHT way.

My 1st farm fresh to you box came today.. What a great service! I have a referral code if anyone is interested. Not sure if that's allowed to post here! I will have info on my IG page for sure (@nunzia_l) 

Happy Friday... the real challenge for me will be the weekend! 

HOJABO - may I ask about the Cheerios? Was it the plain one in the yellow box? Do you think the sugar you added played a role or the actual grains from the Cheerios? My husband eats it everyday (no sugar) because he thinks it's healthy. I'm just curious what you found out. (Don't kno how to quote from my phone)

As for me, day 3 is in the books! Made it to the blood test. After some pistachios on the drive home so I wouldn't go to a drive thru. Breakfast was after 9am - 3 eggs, sautéed mushrooms, half tomato and half avocado.

Lunch- leftover meat sauce with spaghetti squash

Dinner - almond flour crusted chicken tenders, roasted broccoli, leftover grilled veggies, zucchini salad.

I made two of the salads from the Whole30 book. One with zucchini and sunshine sauce and the other with cabbage and lemon garlic EVOO. Took a while but at least I have something to eat tomorrow.

This whole experience isn't so bad. The biggest thing I miss is sweet creamy coffee, but I've learned to embrace black coffee. The key for me is to have things ready. It takes time but I'm determined to stick to this and see where it takes me.

Everyone is doing great! Love hearing how you have found ways around challenges that have come up.

Hi Karineh ~

My research led me to Dr. William Davis' book "Wheatbelly". It is a must read!!! Watch this to get acquainted with Dr. Davis:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVjlGoVFXfkcA4ysPxQt.;_ylc=X1MDMjExNDcwMDU1OQRfcgMyBGZyA3lteXktdC05OTkEZ3ByaWQDcmxkZmFxX0FTQ3VtODVObE41Z0xIQQRuX3JzbHQDMARuX3N1Z2cDNARvcmlnaW4Dc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDNARwcXN0cgN3aWxsaWFtJTIwZGF2aXMlMjBvbiUyMHlvdQRwcXN0cmwDMjAEcXN0cmwDMzUEcXVlcnkDZHIlMjB3aWxsaWFtJTIwZGF2aXMlMjBvbiUyMHlvdXR1YmUEdF9zdG1wAzE0NjQ5Njc2MDU-?p=dr+william+davis+on+youtube&fr2=sa-gp-search&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&type=sbc_dsl

I think I have been poisoning myself with whole grains for over 35 years. I barely used maybe 1/2 tsp. of sugar on my Cheerios (yes the yellow box w/red heart bowl) but over 35 years, that is a LOT of sugar too!

I thought I was being so "heart healthy"....it says so on the box!!! We are being mislead!!! Whole grains are not good for us. Humans are not supposed to eat grains. I had no idea. I knew none of this until I found out I was diabetic. I had to Google diabetes because I didn't even know what it was.

I miss my Cheerios!!! Talk about changing habits ~ It has been my every day routine for 35 years to get out a bowl and spoon, scarf down my Cheerios and I was done, ready for the day, EVERY day, for 35 years!!! This is gonna be hard to stop...and I'm not too fond of eggs, but I'm doing it anyway. I have to.

Maybe even more than Cheerios I am finding that today, Day 3, I miss my coffee creamer ever more :(

Oh, this is hard, but not really....I  can do this!!!

So tired yesterday, feeling better today...on-ward to day 4 :)

Feeling excited but tired! This morning I made eggs for my family and ALMOST forgot to clean out the pan before I started on mine (my parents wanted butter to fry the mushrooms and onions in before adding the eggs). I made my 2 eggs with coconut oil and onions and then topped them with sliced avocado.

It's interesting how habitual eating is. Around 10 I grabbed a banana for a snack, but two bites in realized I wasn't actually hungry. Luckily I was able to pass off the rest to my mom (I hate being wasteful).

It's almost noon for me. What's amazing to me is that I'm not terribly hungry. I've had a lot of coffee this morning (with a hint of coconut milk) but I plan on not having any once 12 pm hits. Keep up the good work everyone!

• Moderators

Feeling excited but tired! This morning I made eggs for my family and ALMOST forgot to clean out the pan before I started on mine (my parents wanted butter to fry the mushrooms and onions in before adding the eggs). I made my 2 eggs with coconut oil and onions and then topped them with sliced avocado.

It's interesting how habitual eating is. Around 10 I grabbed a banana for a snack, but two bites in realized I wasn't actually hungry. Luckily I was able to pass off the rest to my mom (I hate being wasteful).

It's almost noon for me. What's amazing to me is that I'm not terribly hungry. I've had a lot of coffee this morning (with a hint of coconut milk) but I plan on not having any once 12 pm hits. Keep up the good work everyone!

Don't forget to get those veggies in with breakfast... 1-3 cups (3 being optimal) and eggs when your sole source of protein are as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand without dropping. If you don't want more eggs, try adding some leftover other protein source.

Also note that coffee is an appetite suppressant so depending on what 'a lot of coffee' means, that could be why you're not hungry because your breakfast wasn't really all that much food. :)

I realized late last night that I don't think I'm getting enough fats in! Then I couldn't find my avocado this morning... <_<

I just downloaded and printed the Meal Planning Template... thanks SugarcubeOD! I think having that handy will help.

Archived