MommaGem's Post-W30 Log

Hello everyone!

I have moved over here after 35 days of my Whole30 experience.  Although I'm not starting reintroductions until this weekend, I felt I no longer need to count days - this is life-long eating without a finite ending. This will be a place for my own good, health accountability and community support and chit-chat. :)

My primary post-W30 goals are to still eat 90% W30 w/ some relaxation on added sugars (I'm looking at you, bacon...), Paelo baking, and restaurant scrutiny.  I still want to stay away from dairy, grains, soy, legumes, artificial sweeteners, and no sugar in my coffee. And NO snacking.  Snacking is the DEVIL in my world. Once I start, I can't stop.

M1:  Ground pork, veggies, sweet potato cooked in ghee, and 1/2 avocado. Coffee w/ coconut milk.

M2: Leftover ground beef skillet w/ olives and spinach with roasted eggplant.  Coffee w/ coconut milk.

M3: Eggroll in a Bowl w/ 1/2 avocado.

Exercise:  No official exercise today because I spent that time tearing carpet and padding out of a room in prep for laying hardwood floors tomorrow.  Believe me - it is work.  10,000 steps completed.

My challenge this weekend will be to finally throw out all that non-compliant pantry junk that I've been saving "just in case." Flour, sugar, non-compliant baking powder, etc.  If I want to bake my family something nice, I will use healthier ingredients, period.

Friday, May 27th

My husband and I spent the entire day putting down hardwood floor in a large room, so it was a full 8-5 day.  

M1: Ground pork, veggies, sweet potato cooked in ghee, and 1/2 avocado. Coffee w/ coconut milk.

S: Larabar (we both started to feel a bit whoozy)

M2: Leftover Italian beef stew, sweet potato, cucumber

M3: Shrimp, green beans, sweet potato - all cooked in lots of duck fat

Evening: 1 square 85% dark chocolate (soy and dairy free), plus decaf coffee w/ coconut milk.  My first sugar in over a month and it was perfectly satisfying.  I didn't feel the need for any more.

Saturday, May 28

M1: Ground pork, veggies, sweet potato cooked in ghee, and 1/2 avocado. Coffee w/ coconut milk.

Exercise: Couch to 5K W3D3 - was really tough because I was so sore from yesterday. 10,000 steps complete

M2: Chicken, salad greens, tomato, cucumber, tessemae dressing & 1/2 avocado

M3: W30 Shepherd's Pie and broccoli

Evening: I made The World's Easiest Cookies with my son and had 2 (they're pretty tiny) and counted them as my fat for dinner

You are a strong, strong woman!  These cookies looked so good I wanted to eat them straight off the pan.

I am so glad that the time off of sugar with the W30 has "reset" my tastebuds.  These cookies are only mildly sweet, sweetened only with some maple sugar and dipped in super-dark chocolate, and they tasted delicious. I bet if I tried a regular grocery store cookie now it would seem sickeningly sweet.  And my kids loved these!  I didn't dip their's in chocolate (cause they don't need even more stimulants), and they gobbled them up! Hurray for healthy treats for the kids  :D

On a really positive note - I cleaned out pantry, freezer, and fridge of 90% of the non-W30 items.  I kept some cheese, rice, and oatmeal for the kids, and Siracha for everyone, but everything else is gone! I am convinced this way of eating is the best, and I don't need to save wheat flour and sugar to make treats for the kids, when they love the yummy Paleo goodies.

I didn't get very good sleep at all last night, and it was my early morning with the kids, so I was exhausted all day today.  I had to take a nap.  There will be very few steps today. I'm counting it as a "rest day".

M2: Chicken Thigh, salad greens, cucumber, tomato, bacon, Tessemae dressing

M3: Pork chops w/ Tessemae BBQ sauce, pineapple coleslaw, green beans

I like your approach, MommaGem. I hope that continuing post-w30 for me will look something like how you're doing it. If I feel that I go completely bonkers though, I know I can always come back to another month of w30 structure and try a different approach. But your blog here is giving me strength and motivation!

Thank you. It's still a fairly structured approach.  I know if I allow too many things to slip back into my routine, then my habits might avalanche out of control.  So still trying to stick to the plan as much as possible, but allowing only a little added sugar.  Really, the rest I can still live without. 

Happy Memorial Day W30 friends!

I started off the morning with my regular M1, and then went for my exercise.  I have planned a compliant holiday menu, so the day will still feel fun  :)

M1:  Ground pork, veggies, sweet potato cooked in ghee, and 1/2 avocado. Coffee w/ coconut milk.

Exercise: Couch to 5K W4D1 complete, then took the kids to the movies and successfully avoiding the popcorn!

M2: Leftover Shepherd's Pie and pineapple coleslaw

M3: Homemade Ground Beef/Pork Hamburgers over salad with sauteed mushrooms, tomato, Tessemae BBQ Sauce and avocado.  Compliant egg/potato salad w/ bacon and homemade mayo.  Essentially I wanted to recreate the burgers and potato salad meal I would have had prior to W30.  YUM!

Yesterday I thought I had allergies and took Benedryl to get to sleep because the runny nose and sneezing were keeping me awake.  This morning I woke up feeling like hell.  I'm sick  :(  I had no stomach for breakfast or coffee, and my husband took the kids to school so I could grab an extra hour of sleep before work. (I work at home)

Food today:

2 cups bone broth, 1 giant cup of hot Ginger Peach tea w/ lemon and raw, local honey for my throat. Not compliant, but this is post-W30

Baked sweet potato w/ one banana and almond butter

1 more Giant cup of tea

Unsweetened applesauce and cashews

1 more Giant cup of tea

Dried apricots and macadamia nuts (tummy was growling but soup wasn't ready yet)

Homemade chicken and veggie soup  (I was going to make a chicken stir fry later in the week, but I threw in all in a pot for soup)

Woke still feeling fairly sick again.  Husband drove the kids to school again and I got a few more minutes sleep before work.  I can function, but my energy is so, so low.  I'm so sad that I missed out on my jogging this morning. I was really getting into a groove and taking several days off due to illness will take me back a few levels.

M1: Leftover chicken soup

2 Giant cups of hot tea with lemon and raw, local honey

S: Cashews and coconut (was feeling extremely snacky while my potato was cooking and I caved)

M2: Sweet potato, banana, almond butter, coconut

2 Giant cups of hot tea with lemon

M3: Spicy Italian Turkey Sausage (has added sugar so not compliant) with green and red peppers and spinach cooked in ghee w/ 1/2 avocado

and some NyQuil before bed.  Here's hoping for a better tomorrow.... I'd like to get out for a walk tomorrow.

Feeling much better this morning even with interrupted sleep.  My son woke up at 2:30am and decided it was playtime already.  No, no, no.... I got up and put him back to bed.  Then there was a major thunderstorm.  But anyway, I still felt okay this morning and went back to my normal eating routine.  Going to make it a sugar-free day to offset all the honey I've been consuming. 

Exercise: Couch to 5K W4D2 - on the treadmill, because it was a freakin' sauna out this morning!  It was slow going, because I still feel a bit weak, but I completed it.

M2:  Hamburger, salad greens, tomato, cucumber, 1/2 avocado

S: Larabar because dinner will be late

M3:  Dinner out - meeting with team members. Salmon, brussel sprouts, asparagus

Last night's meeting went so late that I got to bed much later than normal.  I also woke up well before the alarm clock, so I had poor sleep last night.  So tired.  

The fridge is close to empty, so today is grocery restocking day.

Exercise: Couch to 5K W4D3 - I did it even though I was tired.  It is much harder to exercise on the weekend, so I pushed through it. 

M2: Cleaning out the fridge!  Chicken sausages, 1/2 avocado, zucchini, cucumber, sweet potato

M3: Chicken, sweet potato w/ ghee, green beans

This weekend I will continue with some Paleo baking experiments.  My husband is following my Whole30 + some sugars, but he is getting SO bored of breakfast during the week.  So I decided to try some breakfast items for the family to help him from burning out.  Because these often use almond flour, I am going to eliminate any nuts/nut butters during the week to balance things out. 

Also, my kids love toaster waffles for breakfast.  I would love to be able to produce a non-grain version that I can freeze to be able to transition them away from the Eggo version. 

Today was a reintroduction circus  :o  For breakfast I made Paleo German Apple Pancakes.  Well, these were not at all pancake like.  These were more egg custard with apples on top.  The taste was okay, but the texture was ikk! I ate two and was immediately hit with mild nausea that lasted all morning :(  So of course I didn't want to serve those to the family.  (My husband tried one and declared it too mushy)

Instead, I whipped up the breakfast I planned for Sunday.  "Lazy Morning Waffles" from the World's Easiest Paleo Baking cookbook.  These were OMG FANTASTIC!  These are no SWYPO - these are the real deal.  The best part is that there are no added sweeteners, so you can put either sweet or savory toppings on them.  I had one with ghee and it was delicious.  For my husband I made one with strawberries, maple syrup and coconut whipped cream - plus one with ghee, fried ham, and a fried egg.  The BEST part - for my kids, who are used to blueberry Eggo Nutrigrain waffles, I chopped up dried blueberries pretty fine, mixed them with the last of the batter, and made them blueberry waffles.  I topped them with some butter and a dash of maple syrup - and they devoured them!  Winner, winner!  The only non-compliant ingredient is vanilla, and whatever you might put on top. Grain-free, dairy-free, and added-sugar-free waffles for the kids.

Unfortunately, the waffle didn't resolve my nausea.  I tried to take a nap (because my son woke me up super early again), but I just laid there in this tiredwired state.  Da*# that coffee AND sugar in the morning!  I managed to snooze a little, woke up, had some bone broth for my stomach, then went for a long walk to try to burn off a bunch of that sugar.  I only FINALLY felt better after I ate lunch.  Salad, veggies, chicken, 1/2 avocado, and Tessemae's dressing. I really, really didn't want to eat it, but once I got some good, clean, compliant food on my belly - the nausea went away.

I guess the most important re-intro note for me is that added sugars, and large servings of carbs, hit me really hard.  I have to be careful how much I consume, and when.  Even a slice of Paleo cake with dinner is likely to keep me from falling asleep.  

Tonight we're having Meatloaf, potatoes, and broccoli.  I spent all day doing meal prep for the week.  In case anyone would find it useful, I'll highlight what my weekly meal prep for 2 adults look like - in the next post.

Today I did all of my weekly meal prep.  I also usually cook more complicated meals during the weekend to balance out the "throw things in a pan and heat" meals the rest of the week. 

(After the morning baking experimentations)

Today I....

Started a big pot of bone broth

Cooked 10 hard boiled eggs (for the meatloaf and potato salad)

Cooked a whole package of bacon

Made a batch of mayo

Roasted 3 large sweet potatoes

Cooked up 4 pounds of ground pork (and saved the super spicy lard that results)

Cooked up a big batch of yellow potatoes for potato salad tomorrow and mashed tonight

Chopped up a ton of veggies

Assembled 10 Breakfast bags with the ground pork, part of the sweet potatoes, and the veggies

Assembled a huge meatloaf for tonight

Assembled the potato salad

Made the kids of big batch of "Hogs in a Sweater" to replace their usual frozen corn dogs (from World's Easiest Paleo Baking cookbook) using beef Applegate hot dogs.

Next week I will add prepping 2 batches of waffles to freeze for the kids' weekly breakfasts

...and then I collapsed with a LaCroix

Got to sleep in today and it felt amazing!  

Trying to stay completely compliant today to balance out yesterday.

M1: Ground pork, veggies, sweet potato cooked in ghee, and 2 slices bacon. Coffee w/ coconut milk.

M2: Leftover meatloaf, sweet potatoes, salad w/ dressing and 1/2 avocado (Got full, didn't eat the whole plate)

Bone broth because it was fresh :-)

M3: Beef brisket, potato/egg salad w/ bacon and homemade mayo, and green beans. A few bites of pineapple

Today I did all of my weekly meal prep.  I also usually cook more complicated meals during the weekend to balance out the "throw things in a pan and heat" meals the rest of the week. 

(After the morning baking experimentations)

Today I....

Started a big pot of bone broth

Cooked 10 hard boiled eggs (for the meatloaf and potato salad)

Cooked a whole package of bacon

Made a batch of mayo

Roasted 3 large sweet potatoes

Cooked up 4 pounds of ground pork (and saved the super spicy lard that results)

Cooked up a big batch of yellow potatoes for potato salad tomorrow and mashed tonight

Chopped up a ton of veggies

Assembled 10 Breakfast bags with the ground pork, part of the sweet potatoes, and the veggies

Assembled a huge meatloaf for tonight

Assembled the potato salad

Made the kids of big batch of "Hogs in a Sweater" to replace their usual frozen corn dogs (from World's Easiest Paleo Baking cookbook) using beef Applegate hot dogs.

Next week I will add prepping 2 batches of waffles to freeze for the kids' weekly breakfasts

...and then I collapsed with a LaCroix

This is really impressive! Great idea about the chopped blueberries in the waffle mix, too!

Wow, busy work day and my eyes are so tired from reports....

I decided to change up my exercise and head out before the kids wake up.  1.) It's 3-5 degrees cooler at that time, 2.) the kids don't have to go to daycare so early to be able to get back and get my workout in, and 3.) I can experiment with weight loss when I exercise before breakfast. I was really surprised that I had plenty of energy to jog even with a completely empty belly.  I guess I really AM fat-adapted  :D

Unfortunately... I keep dreaming about making donuts!!!   :angry:

Exercise: Couch to 5K - W5D1

Another coffee w/ coconut milk when I started work. 

M2: Leftover meatloaf, potato salad, green salad with cucumbers & Tessemae dressing

M3: Chicken curry w/ pineapple, coconut milk, & sweet potato w/ roasted cauliflower

And 2 Paleo cookies, because... well, the kids were just that rough tonight.  

Archived