Halloween Party Menu - Suggestions?

meleigh

Because of an unfortunate run-in with pizza last night, I am restarting my whole30 today. This means that I will be be whole30ing it on Halloween. We are hosting an outdoor dinner this Halloween because we finally live in a neighborhood with tons of trick-or-treaters. So, a group of friends will come by, we'll eat outside (we live in Florida, so the weather is still pretty nice for outdoor dining) on the porch, and hand out candy. We are going all out with the decorations, and I am trying to figure out the menu. We'll have about 10 people over (all adults), and about half are paleo-ish. The other half are flexible and one has an absurd love of legumes. I know I'd like the main dish to be the famous Well Fed Chocolate Chili with some avocado slices, onion, and olives for garnish. Am I required to put out sour cream and cheese? I am going to go ahead and make a side of black beans so the legume-lover can add them to her chili. But what else should I serve? I'd like a couple more items, maybe an appetizer or two, and something sweet for the end (I was thinking baked apples, or maybe apples with homemade cashew butter...) So, does anyone have any suggestions? Also, just as a side note - has anyone changed their halloween candy preferences for trick-or-treaters after whole30? Do I have a responsibility to hand out a healthier treat or am I overthinking this?

Thanks!

I'm a newbie to Paleo and am only on Day 6 of my Whole30. However, I am the mother of six children. We hand out little tubs of Play Doh. We've done this for the past few years. The kids all seem to like that and not feel ripped off. You can buy 80-packs at Costco. My kids play with the leftovers. When we handed out candy, my husband and I would eat the leftovers. Play Doh is better. :-P

Hopefully someone will answer your food questions. :-)

I still give candy like blow pops and some of the various chocolate minis, but I also have been giving glow sticks for years and sometimes pretzels to give the kids a choice. The kids love the glow sticks since it's actually evening and getting dark when they put them on. One for a bracelet or three make a necklace. I just attach the connector to the end of each stick and let the kids bend and snap them to make them glow. We have less than 50-60 kids each year so it's not that expensive for the glow sticks. Target usually sells them either 8 or 10 for $1 and I stock up. Michael's has them too. Leftovers are saved for goody bag treats since both my boys have November birthdays or given to their teachers for their treasure box treats...

Some of our favorite appys are bacon-wrapped scallops, or proscuitto wrapped asparagus on the BBQ. You could do caprese-inspired 'salads on a stick" by skewring pieces of romaine, basil and cherry tomatoes and drizzeling in oil and balsamic (we use a balsamic reduction that is really nice and sticks nicely to the salad) also grilled portobellos with garlic and oil cut into wedges are nice. Topped with some tomato sauce and a slice of pepperoni they taste just like a pizza (could also do with button mushrooms as a little bite sized one)

For us for Halloween we'll just be doing gluten, nut and dairy free treats to give away--so not "whole 30" but eliminating a little nastiness. I wish I could find good little dark chocolate treats!

Oh I had started my post and not finished it so the other two halloween suggestions weren't up yet--those are great ideas! I've also seen little spider rings or glow in the dark skeleton toys that might be a nice option.

Archived