Is it possible to have too much fat?

lunawishs

I'm on day 4 and still feeling sluggish. Anyways, my energy was pretty low yesterday so I decided to add extra serving of fat on my meals from today. I think that did the trick and I was feeling pretty full for 5-6 hours without having the need to snack but I am worried that I might be eating too much fat and gain weight. I have a normal weight but I am hoping to lose some weight as well. So here's what I ate today:

Bfst

2 eggs and mushroom omelette cooked in coconut oil, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 Apple, 1/2 banana, few nuts

(I am a pretty petite woman so I only need 2 eggs)

Lunch

Chicken salad with mayonnaise, 1/2 avocado, greens, carrot sticks, 1/2 sweet potato, few nuts

Dinner

Pan fried salmon in olive oil, steamed broccoli with 1 tsp ghee, 1/2 sweet potato

I still don't have high energy and I need a lot of carbs on my diet because I used to eat a lot of carbs before.

Does my meal look ok? Did anyone gain weight on whole 30?

Thanks.

• Moderators

You're only on day 4, and it's pretty normal to have low energy for the first week or so, so hang in there, it should get better. Here's the timeline so you can see the kinds of things you might experience throughout your Whole30. Clearly, it's a little tongue in cheek, not to be taken super seriously, but many people find it pretty accurate.

I don't think you have too much fat. Do watch the nuts though -- a serving size for them is a closed handful, and you should try to not have that many every day. Their Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio is not very good, plus they can cause digestive issues for many people. If you're getting 4-5 hours between meals, you've probably got about the right amount of fat. If you're not managing to go that long before you're really hungry, you should increase your meals a bit. If you're going 6-7 hours between meals without feeling hungry at all and having to remind yourself to eat, you may have a little too much fat.

Have you done the egg test to know for sure how many you should aim for in a serving? 

I would try to have more veggies, especially at breakfast. Aim for 1-3 cups at each meal. You might try not having fruit at breakfast too -- some people report that they are hungrier and more likely to have cravings the rest of the day if they have fruit at their first meal.

I still don't have high energy and I need a lot of carbs on my diet because I used to eat a lot of carbs before.

On top of Shannon's great advice I'd just add that a big part of Whole30 is teaching your body to become  fat adapted so that it does not rely on a constant supply of carbs for energy - whether or not to you ate them before will only effect how you feel in the early days as your body adapts to the changes, and unless you have specific medical reasons for needing carbs then you will eventually quite easily go without them.

Because you want your body to become fat adapted I'd suggest holding back any fruit and/or starchy veg until at least meal two (but peferably three), rather than topping up on them throughout the day.

Thank you so much for all your great advices. I know I am only supposed to have a handful of nuts a day so I only eat 4-5 nuts with every meal. Is that still too much?

I'll try to skip carb in the morning and see how I feel. I'll also do the egg test.

I am actually on day 7 today. I just had to restart my whole 30 on my day 3 because I noticed I ate something non compliant without realizing it. So hopefully my body will adjust soon. I haven't been sleeping well and also have been having aches on my knee though...

Archived