W30.04

WholeDave

You sound so full of happiness and good cheer! 

Thank you for being a burst of energy and encouragement!  Btw, that coconut mess looks terrific - I'm going to make that as part of dinner that we're dropping off for friends on Friday.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, WholeDave said:

Day 70 - wooohooo Celebration Day! (anything ending in a zero - works for me! :D)

Congrats on 70!! What a super number.  

Last night my daughter came over for dinner and I knocked up paleo spag bol (spaghetti bolognaise, but Australians shorten just about everything so it becomes span bol :blink:)... Pork & veal mince, coppa, onion, garlic, minced fresh tomatoes, can of tomatoes, sachet of tomato paste, mushrooms. Cooked it on the stove then baked it for 45 mins or so. I spiralised 6 zucchinis and stir fried them in a wok to take the edge off, and baked some pumpkin until it caramelised for a side. Wow delish!

This meal sounds incredibly delicious! 

Then I took to the interwebs and found a compliant dessert - Coconut Eton Mess. OMG! 

This dessert recipe looks mighty yummy! 

Day 71 - a bit all over the place yesterday. Started with a veggie stir fry then went out to a pub for a colleague's birthday - t-bone and salad only. Then had to race around looking at new houses to rent and back home to scoff down the last of the bolognaise from the night before with a couple of microwaved potatoes. Then out to a local football (soccer) match with one of the Canberra teams playing my team the Western Sydney Wanderers. Good fun night (although it was somewhat difficult with the spectacular smell of the volunteer bbq pumping out cranky** rolls and other delicious Croatian food). Lucky I'd eaten beforehand! Home for a cup of camomile, some figs and 9 almonds.

**See there it goes again. My awesome spellchecker - why have a Kransky Roll when can have a cranky one :lol:

Day 72 - end of the week, no food in the house. Breakfast yesterday was no tomatoes, the end of the mushrooms, two eggs (carton into the recycling), one pepper (plastic bag into the plastic bag bag), bacon and one slightly dead avocado.

Lunch was out with a colleague - noodleless Vietnamese pho, plenty of chilli. Discovered an apple in the office. Found two mandarines. Dinner was out with family but beforehand I had a mini pig-out - figs, pistachios, almonds, one stick of celery. Lucky I did - dinner was lovely but not exactly W30 - sardines on little slivers of toast. Obviously left the toast lonely and cold on the plate. Mussels. Yup yum. Main was 5 sharing plates of which I could only eat 2 - some lamb and a grilled trout dish. I had three of four mouthfuls. Camomile tea.

So now I wake up early, not exactly starving, not exactly full, with no food for breakfast. Contemplating three options: fast until late morning, take a portion of the Polish Hunter's Stew out of the freezer (for breakfast, really??) or ummmmm???

Day 73 - took the third option and went to my favourite paleo cafe for a Green Nourish Bowl from Eighty Twenty with a black coffee (just like the picture). Grabbed the Polish Hunter's Stew anyway and let rip on that for morning tea :blink: 

Zipped out to the markets at lunchtime to grab some emergency supplies and brought a roast pork hock to ground with plenty of water.

Dinner was a baked chicken thigh bone-in with potatoes and salad. Figs. Camomile. Early bed, but not before I prepped the bananas and strawberries for tonight's special family feast which will feature Nom Nom Paleo's Strawberry Banana Ice Cream.

Day 74 - Breakfast was eggs, veggies, bacon. Lunch was a feed of fresh prawns with lots of salad. Bit of a luxury but the prawns were really cheap compared to summer prices. 

Dinner was the full-on experience I had planned - carrot, celery & dips for starters, baked pancetta-wrapped meatballs with home made Harissa for entree, chicken cassoulet with salad for main, and date & coconut balls with home made banana & strawberry ice cream for dessert. Plus coffee. Plus a beer. Plus a couple of celebratory Macedonian rakijas. Not as planned on the off-roading as I had expected but the feast was fully compliant.

My opportunity now is to see it as it was - a lovely gathering of family without it being a gateway to spiralling off-roading (thanks jmcbn :))

Day 75 - after Saturday night I didn't feel much like anything to eat for breakfast - boiled some eggs and had them with fresh veggies - tomato, avocado, piperki, cucumber and a drizzle of olive oil. Waited a while then went out on my mountain bike for an hour of fun, mud and ravines. Certainly felt it after the night before - a bit headachy and flat. Drank a bucket of water and took coconut water with me on the bike which helped a lot. 

Lunch/post-WO was a bowl of the chicken cassoulet followed by the rest of the veggies from breakfast. I grazed all day really - 7 almonds, a couple of figs, celery, a banana, tea, copious water. For dinner we had my partner's mum over and I slow cooked pulled pork and stuffed it in baked sweet potato with a kaleslaw on the side.

I'm feeling very positive after my off-road episode Saturday night - I don't feel any desire to launch into a bunch of other non-W30 foods - quite the opposite. Looking forward to my standard W30 fare - I'm fully stocked for the week ahead.

Day 76 - veggie stir fry for breakfast, leftover chicken cassoulet and kaleslaw for lunch (although the cassoulet gave me heartburn - it was pretty rich) and a pork, kale, cauliflower, potato salad for dinner. Extras were a banana, some figs and an apple. Still trying to reduce the fig intake.

Day 77 - breakfast plate of veggies, eggs and a little bacon. The leftover sweet potato, salad and sardines for lunch. An apple. Dinner was grilled chicken breast, a potato & olive oil and grilled asparagus and zucchini. 3 figs. 7 almonds.

Day 78 - scrambled eggs with tomatoes and pips (yellow peppers) for breakfast. Lunch was tuna and salad but then I went out and bought a piece of roast chicken and carrot, and a paleo bar. After work was 7 almonds, 7 hazelnuts plus some celery. Dinner was a Macedonian manga (soup) with smoked ribs, red piperki, potatoes etc. Delicious! Afters were 3 figs and camomile.

Still don't feel like I'm losing "enough" weight. It feels like it's taking a loooong time. The fact that I'm only getting proper exercise once a week isn't helping but I just can't seem to find the time at the moment to get more. As spring comes on I'll have more daylight hours so that will definitely help. I still have a belly and back fat which of course takes the longest to disappear. I'm feeling fantastic within myself which is great but sometimes you just want to wave the magic wand and appear in the state you have in your mind's eye. Tricky. Sets up unrealistic expectations.

*cough* figs *cough*

(Figs are around 90% carbs, with about 9-10g of sugar per fig, that's just under 50g per 100g with anything over 22.5g per 100g considered high...)

Lesson over - consider your wrist slapped! :lol:

8 hours ago, jmcbn said:

*cough* figs *cough*

(Figs are around 90% carbs, with about 9-10g of sugar per fig, that's just under 50g per 100g with anything over 22.5g per 100g considered high...)

Lesson over - consider your wrist slapped! :lol:

Oh dear! OK I'll throw the figs out! :unsure:

Day 79 - plate of mushrooms, spinach, eggs and a little bacon for breakfast. Lunch was......errr.....no lunch. No time, no prep. Discovered an apple and mandarine in the office. After work was a small bowl of the leftover soup from the night before and 7 unsalted pistachios. Dinner was a work dinner - rib eye, potatoes, salad at a Greek restaurant. Sufficient but not ideal.

No figs!! :)

On 26 August 2016 at 5:47 AM, MrsZimm13 said:

Just stopping in to say hello and congrats on ditching the figs. It's hard to do... Those little luscious morsels taste so good....but are not the best for folks like you and I who are trying to reduce. 

It IS hard to ditch the figs!! No wonder if they are 50g sugar per 100g!

Day 80 - woohoo! Celebration Day!! Chocked a bowl full of veggies and eggs yesterday which got me off to a good start. Lunch was a salad without the tuna plus an avocado and an apple. Dinner was bbq'd compliant sausages, mashed potatoes (with just olive oil and salt - fluffed up and delicious) and a simple cabbage salad (cabbage, white vinegar, salt). I then had a bowl of my strawberry & banana ice cream (strawberries, bananas, coconut milk) from last week. 

No figs or dates or nuts!! :)

Day 81 - started with tomato, avocado, eggs, a cold sausage & bacon then for lunch cooked a piece of Barramundi (one of the best fish in Australia) and had the leftover cabbage salad from the night before. Late afternoon was a cold sausage, cucumber and celery and dinner was a t-bone with roast potatoes and salad. No figs, no nuts! Buckets of water, a couple of black coffees.

I also made bone broth in the pressure cooker - couple of chicken carcasses, leek, carrot, celery. I had planned to put a bag of other bones in there but they wouldn't fit!

Day 82 - 2 eggs with EVOO for pre-workout then on to the mountain bike for a great run up the ridge. Back for my partner's excellent frittata. Copious water plus coconut water on the bike. Lunch was leftovers - sausage, salad, cold potatoes :blink:

Afternoon was celery and cucumber. Dinner was a classic roast pork and crackling with pumpkin, baby carrots, parsnips, zucchini and home made gravy. I made the gravy with one of the awesome discoveries of this Wxx - Otto's cassava flour. No grittiness and it works exactly the same as wheat flour. Add to that the fresh chicken bone broth from the day before and it was heaven!!

Extras were 7 almonds and a few pinchfuls of dried coconut. No figs!

Day 83 - a piece of the frittata for breakfast followed by tuna and salad for lunch. I got home a bit early and decided to go for another mtb ride. Pre-ride was a couple of slices of the pork from last night. Post ride was dinner - chicken & veggie stir fry. Didn't even touch the sides! Extras were an apple, a banana and a couple of pinchfuls of dried coconut. No figs! No nuts!

Day 84 - feel like I'm making serious inroads this week. The two MTB rides helped but I've also been super vigilant with the sustenance. 

Breakfast yesterday was a plate of veggies - yellow pepper, avocado, tomato, cucumber together with 3 boiled eggs all drizzled with EVOO. Brilliant! Who'd have thought that would be a good meal!! Late morning was a couple of mouthfuls of the frittata to finish it off plus a banana. Late lunch was some of the cold roast pork, salad and EVOO plus an apple. Dinner was roast chook, baked potatoes and a mountainous kaleslaw (kale, cabbage & carrot) with a simple olive oil & vinegar dressing. Outstanding. The poor chook didn't stand a chance! Dessert was watching my daughter and partner eat a piece of wild berry cheesecake that I had bought for my daughter's birthday. I had a sniff of the cheesecake and was totally uninspired! :) Finished with a cup of camomile, no figs and no nuts!

Love your "totally uninspired" reaction to cheesecake.  I'm getting there..... I was totally craving something sweet last night but at the store couldn't find anything to even tempt me once I actually looked at it and considered it.  I bought carrots, grapes, and squash soup.

1 hour ago, CaseyP said:

Love your "totally uninspired" reaction to cheesecake.  I'm getting there..... I was totally craving something sweet last night but at the store couldn't find anything to even tempt me once I actually looked at it and considered it.  I bought carrots, grapes, and squash soup.

Nice!! I quite often have a sniff of things I once would have devoured and it's amazing to realise that a lot of processed food actually smells yuck.

Day 85 - first day of Spring in Australia, thank goodness for that!!!

Yesterday was again a salad plate with boiled eggs & EVOO for breakfast (new discovery these past two days - love the fresh full feeling you get into the morning) then leftover kaleslaw about 11am. "Lunch" was another salad with the last of the cold roast pork at 2pm and dinner was a meatloaf with..... SALAD! This morning I'm......not having salad!!

Extras were an apple, a banana and a piece of compliant pepperoni with celery. No figs!

Archived