Katie's 3rd Whole30! :)

katieblue

Day 23/30

M1: Two scrambled eggs in clarified butter, homemade turkey sausage, green beans with ghee, and sliced tomato with salt and pepper.

M2: Salad with balsamic marinated chicken, homemade balsamic vinaigrette, olives, cucumbers, artichokes, and tomatoes.

M3: Salad with organic mixed greens, cucumber and tomato and citrus-mayo dressing, pan-roasted NJ fluke with cabbage & papaya slaw.

Day 24/30

M1: Two scrambled eggs in clarified butter, homemade turkey sausage, green beans with ghee, and sliced tomato with salt and pepper.

M2: Salad with balsamic marinated chicken, homemade balsamic vinaigrette, olives, cucumbers, artichokes, and tomatoes.

M3: Turkey burger in lettuce wrap with tomato, homemade ketchup and pickles, steamed broccoli with hot sauce, sweet potato with clarified butter and cinnamon.

So busy... not much time to write!! Lol.

Day 25/30!

I've been having a lot of cravings lately, and I wonder if it's coming from stress, or just from summertime vibes, which are so often associated with food. I keep wanting ice cream, which is definitely a summer association, but also different food like BBQ and Cajun and I really just want to go out, which I think is a summertime feel thing, too. But this summer I'm stuck inside working and doing homework, so it's hard!

Post-WO: Homemade turkey sausage.

M2: Salad with balsamic marinated chicken, Tessemae's ranch dressing, olives, cucumbers, and tomatoes.

M3: Roasted spaghetti squash with turkey meatballs and marinara sauce, steamed broccoli, and roasted sweet potato with clarified butter and cinnamon.

Katie,

I just found this thread, and your journey has been rough, but I am SO proud of you!!  You have such determination and tenacity.  You are so much more mature than my son who is your age.  Like I said on another thread, I really believe you should have been my daughter.  ;) You are almost done with your 3rd round!  You've got this!  

Wendy

Wendy, thank you SO much. I really, really appreciate that. You're going to get me all emotional, because you know how I feel about my own mother so it really means a lot that I should have been your daughter. :D You can just adopt me if you'd like!! I can teach your son how to be more mature! haha.

I know, it's Day 26/30!! 5 more days!!

I was REALLY craving ice cream yesterday. We were walking around downtown and so many people had ice cream from this amazing little shop and I just kept gazing at it longingly. It's crazy, because as soon as I'm off the Whole30 and I CAN have it again, I bet I won't even want it anymore! But Rob is a great support and was like, "No, you don't want that, it's actually human vomit in their cups" which made me totally not interested in food at all. :P

M2: Salad with balsamic marinated chicken, homemade balsamic vinaigrette, beets, olives, cucumbers, and tomatoes.

M3: Grilled chicken with homemade strawberry BBQ sauce, grilled eggplant with EVOO, and roasted plantains with cayenne and lime juice!

Aww Katie,

I'll adopt you!  You are so sweet!!  I'm so proud of you, and how you are working so hard in school and your job, and doing the work it takes to stay healthy and get in shape.  Rob sounds so funny.  "Human vomit in their cups!" lol  I'll remember that the next time I crave ice cream!  

Your meals sound amazing!  Another reason for me to adopt you...you can live here and cook for us.  :D

Wendy

Thank you SO much, I really wish I could tell you how much that means to me, but there is just no way to convey it over the Internet! Someday I will have to visit you so I can give you a giant, daughterly hug. :)

Definitely think of gross things like vomit instead of ice cream next time - it really helped kill my appetite! Haha.

AND of course I would totally cook for you - that would be a fair trade-off for room and board! Haha. As soon as I finish grad school, of course, and have time to think up and make some more exciting dinners!

Day 27/30!! :)

Yesterday I felt more confident, less bloaty, less uncomfortable. But today I'm back to being cranky about how I look and thinking I look squishy and bloated again.

Also, I noticed that eggplant and plantains were not enough vegetables, even though I ate half the eggplant and half a plantain. I found myself going into the fridge for some broccoli with salsa until I was full enough.

And I still want dessert, like, so badly. It's so strange because during my last Whole30 I had almost no cravings whatsoever. Now this time, all I can think about is ice cream, and cake, and the sugary BBQ sauce I want to have in place of the fruit-sweetened homemade one that I made. I wonder if eating more fruit this round has caused the sugar dragon to charge up and start breathing fire again?

Post-WO: Homemade turkey sausage.

M2: Salad with balsamic marinated chicken, homemade balsamic vinaigrette, beets, olives, cucumbers, and tomatoes.

M3: Leftover spaghetti squash and turkey meatballs with compliant marinara sauce, grilled zucchini and summer squash, and half a sweet potato with clarified butter and cinnamon.

Katie,

I don't think I can convey to you how much I care about my internet daughter.  :) That would be great if we can arrange a meeting sometime.  I know you're super busy with grad school and work, and pretty soon I'll be back at work, but who knows?  That would be so fun.

My husband and I kind of jumped into our 1st W30 before reading "It Starts with Food," and we ate tons of fruit for our 1st round.  In fact, most days for breakfast I ate only fruit, which I found out later is not recommended.  Now, I realize all meals are to be built around protein.  I'm not sure if eating more fruit is charging up your sugar dragon, but it sounds like a possibility if you had no cravings last time with little fruit.  Which stinks, if that's the case.  I love fruit!  Especially in the summer.

Wendy

Day 28/30!! Three more days to go!!

Wendy, I'll only be busy with grad school for one more year or less!! That's how I'm getting through the days now, actually. When it's gorgeous outside and I'm stuck inside under a pile of books and papers, I keep thinking to myself, "Well, this is the last July I'll EVER have to spend doing this nonsense." And then it doesn't seem so bad. I just have to push through one more July, August, September, October, November, December, January, February, and March, and possibly April, May, and June, but that it still to be determined. It's just one more of each. I can do it.

I didn't realize you guys had been eating so much fruit the first round! Do you see a difference in the sugar dragon now that you have less of it? I have been having it with meals, rather than as a meal, but with dinner I usually save it for last because it's so sweet and delicious so I wonder if it's still serving a "desserty" kind of purpose in my subconscious.

Last night was rough. I fell asleep around 10pm with my anxiety in high gear, and then woke up an hour later, and didn't fall back asleep until 3am! :( Then my stupid brain woke me up with more anxiety at 5am, even though I had already decided to turn my alarm off and just sleep and call out of work. So, I'm up, drinking some coffee and going to just go to work now since I'm up and not waste the sick time. I've been taking the magnesium supplement for eight nights now, and I'm not sure it's working. I think I'll try upping the dose. Maybe someone with this nutty anxiety needs more than average. Lol.

I have an appointment at my dentist after work today to do some sort of a patient satisfaction interview with a legit camera crew and reporter person, and I think that was contributing to my anxiety. However, I'm thinking I will stop at Cave on the way home as a treat so I don't have to then start cooking at 7:30pm when I get home. :)

M3: Cave! To be determined.

Katie,

You poor thing!  I don't know how you survive on so little sleep.  I guess when I was your age, I could manage on much less sleep, as I had my first child at your age, but it sounds like you are only getting a few hours at best each night.  I hope work was less stressful than normal, and that your dentist appointment went well. I would have been nervous, too, with a camera crew!  

Wendy, I can't imagine having a child on top of all of this! And I understand that you don't really sleep at all with a baby. So we all have our different things to do but we all get through it. :) The dentist appointment was painless, thankfully!!

I tried going to Cave, but they were too crowded, so I stopped by Whole Foods instead and picked out some things from their food bar that were compliant. They had this lemon cole slaw with grilled chicken, cold grilled zucchini with baby shrimp, roasted golden beets, collard greens, and chimchurri sweet potatoes. It was an odd assortment of food, but all of it was amazing!

Day 29/30

M3: Grilled chicken with homemade strawberry BBQ sauce, collard greens, baked sweet potato with clarified butter and cinnamon, and spiralized zucchini noodles cooked in butter with salt and pepper.

Day 30/30 -- THE LAST DAY!!!

M3: Turkey burgers with boom boom sauce, lettuce, and tomato, chimichurri sweet potatoes, grilled zucchini with garlic, lemon juice, and clarified butter.

I'm finally here!! The last day of my third Whole30!! Yet I'm exhausted, my head hurts, and I feel bloated and disgusting... this one has really not been doing the magic for me that the last two did. But I will come back around tomorrow and find some NSV's!!

Yes, I guess it really doesn't matter what keeps you from sleeping, but i think it makes it so much harder to deal with stress when I am sleep-deprived.  Now my teenagers want to sleep all day and be up all night, and it's my pets who wake me up in the morning!

Congrats on completing your 3rd Whole 30!  That's amazing.  I hope you feel better soon and find some NSV's!

:)

Thanks, Wendy!! :) I may be biased because I don't have kids, but I'd much rather wake up to a cute dog than a baby!! :P

So, my NSV's for this round:

- Stopped counting calories again! Back to better habits of just knowing what is/isn't enough food for me.

- Managed to have enough energy to get through each day even when I didn't sleep.. that HAS to count for something!

- Felt much better again about what I was eating!

- Regained a sense of trust in the food and in my body that it will even out in time as I keep taking care of it.

- Really felt natural and second-nature to make time to make compliant foods, condiments, marinades, etc. and part of my normal world - making it feel sustainable!

- Made a cake for my grandma's birthday yesterday on my last day and didn't eat any of it!

- Stayed compliant through SO MUCH stress and beat out learned temptation to "treat" myself with food, and remembered I deserve better!

- Replaced food 'rewards' or 'feel better' foods with other things, like painting my nails a new color or buying a new CD to listen to instead!

- Actually let Rob help me make dinner a few nights and let go of control a little bit - that will be a work in progress but at least I've started. :)

Well, I love babies, but at least my dog doesn't whine or cry as loud as my babies did.  There is nothing like a newborn cry to zap you out of bed in the morning.

I think your NSV's are wonderful.  I agree that buying a new shade of nail polish or a cd can put one in a great mood, and they last a lot longer than a bowl of ice cream or piece of cake!  (And don't feed your sugar dragon, either!)  I also think it's great that you're not focused on counting calories, and are just focusing on eating healthy and taking care of yourself, even under stressful situations.

It must feel great having completed THREE Whole 30's-just in the last few months!  :D

Thank you SO much for all the support. You are so wonderful!! :)

I'm trying hard to feel great but I actually feel REALLY down today. I've been struggling with feeling more and more depressed the last two weeks or so. I hope it's something to do with my hormones balancing or something...

Archived