Strength in Numbers - Lets Join Feeds for starts June 18-22, Starting 20th

EJSmadhatter

I really want to take a trashy magazine and go get fast food today. I just want to stick my head in the sand. I won’t but I am just acknowledging it today. I didn’t get half as much done as I had hoped when I got home yesterday. I promised a friend earlier in the week that we would go to the movies and we did. She had a very tramactic day so she had drinks and junk at the theatre. The Arclights Theatres now serve drinks that you can take into the movie from the bar or concessions serves beer and wine.

I need to find time to do all my prep soon. I got all this meat that needs to be done and veggies. Anyway going to make it short and get started. Have a great weekend. I will be reading from my phone but it is hard to comment and I can’t like. 

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Elizabeth, your support means a lot!! I'm holding onto these things as I'm still tired and have a foggy head and was hoping for the tiger blood by now...!

when you did your first W30, how long did it take you to feel less tired? Have you found that you are having a different experience on your second round?

I am not sure if I replied to you on this. I never did get the tiger blood. I struggled with sugar cravings, foggy brain, very tired through the entire thing. But I also have ALOT of health issues that deal directly with energy so I am not a normal Whole 30. It will eventually come and don't be discouraged.

Every body is different, but I'm sorry to hear they weren't much help. Maybe try eliminating FODMAPs? Either way, keep us posted. I hope to hear some good news soon! Good luck!

Well I happy to say I feel A LOT better today. Good mood, not tired and I can actually think and have a conversation. All I did different was drink less water. I'm almost positive my sodium was too low. I've been adding salt to my food but I was drinking around 150 oz of water and I only need a minimum of 65 a day. Thank you all again for helping me get through yesterday:)

Well I happy to say I feel A LOT better today. Good mood, not tired and I can actually think and have a conversation. All I did different was drink less water. I'm almost positive my sodium was too low. I've been adding salt to my food but I was drinking around 150 oz of water and I only need a minimum of 65 a day. Thank you all again for helping me get through yesterday:)

Happy weekend everyone!

In the last day I survived 2 meals out! Last night I came home from work a little late and we were all set to start making a pressure cooker pot roast recipe, when I read through the recipe and realized that dinner wouldn't be ready until 9! Since it's the end of the week, we didn't have any backup food so we decided to check out that Whole Foods Nom Nom Paleo Bar I mentioned in a previous post. I'm not sure if it was because it was Friday at 7:30pm, but the options were limited. We did find a really tasty compliant Mexican pork stew and potatoes, plus some chicken from the Nom Nom section and treated ourselves to fancy fruit (omg pluots). Also I found out that the reason NorCal Whole Foods have Nom Nom Paleo stuff is that she lives here in Silicon Valley.

We've been feeling like hermits the past few weeks because cooking is so time consuming and our social lives seem to revolve around food. Today we went to the newly remodeled SF Museum of Modern Art with some friends. We brought packed lunches with us and ate them in the park before we went to the museum and braved an unresearched (gasp!) restaurant afterwards for a snack. Luckily it's San Francisco so there was a kale salad on the menu that I could eat by just swapping lemon juice and olive oil for the dressing. My husband got the same with some tea-smoked duck that was pretty friggin' fantastic. The waiter swore it only had tea on it, but I'm really paranoid so I only had a small bite (wish I had more...). I felt awkward grilling the waiter, but he's probably super used to needy customers (again... San Francisco). 

Yesterday's pot roast is currently bubbling away in the pressure cooker and I'll post the recipe if it works out. 

NSV: I think I'm slimming a bit and my stomach is definitely smaller. My energy levels have been pretty good for days and all my digestion issues went away a week ago. Husband says he's back to feeling the same as pre-whole 30 but he has lost some weight, but he attributes that mostly to not drinking. He's decided that he is the "control" for our experiment because I'm also exercising. 

Day 19 I think I'm no longer counting like I was.  Yesterday I had over 24,000 steps that's right twenty-four thousand steps on my Fitbit Tracker.  I mowed with a push mower. My yard is like an acre so we are talking about allot of mowing then I mowed by the road then the pasture, then cleaned the house, finished the laundry oh my gosh!   I'm almost 60 and I haven't felt this great in I DONT KNOW WHEN!  So glad I started this program. I've done so many things but never gave up in figuring out what was really wrong with me. I've been to doctors who diagnosed an auto immunne disease. I think this is their latest catch all. Went through a test treatment program with steriods ..... and my list could go on and on.  At the end of the day I always felt like crap.

I can honestly say I Physically FEEL GREAT today and I just take it one day at a time at this phase of my life.  Emotionally I'm a wreck...

My beloved 165 pd guardian dog died today so the day is full of tears and saddness. Even though he has been very ill with bone cancer it's still super hard to make this realization. He has protected the livestock for 11 years and protected everything on the land. His name is Etta Coyote and that's what he did for fun.

Tears, tears and more tears...

So sorry about your doggy - i completely understand, i lost my cat a few months ago and was completely heartbroken! i hope you're feeling better!

That's awesome. So glad

Happy weekend everyone!

In the last day I survived 2 meals out! Last night I came home from work a little late and we were all set to start making a pressure cooker pot roast recipe, when I read through the recipe and realized that dinner wouldn't be ready until 9! Since it's the end of the week, we didn't have any backup food so we decided to check out that Whole Foods Nom Nom Paleo Bar I mentioned in a previous post. I'm not sure if it was because it was Friday at 7:30pm, but the options were limited. We did find a really tasty compliant Mexican pork stew and potatoes, plus some chicken from the Nom Nom section and treated ourselves to fancy fruit (omg pluots). Also I found out that the reason NorCal Whole Foods have Nom Nom Paleo stuff is that she lives here in Silicon Valley.

We've been feeling like hermits the past few weeks because cooking is so time consuming and our social lives seem to revolve around food. Today we went to the newly remodeled SF Museum of Modern Art with some friends. We brought packed lunches with us and ate them in the park before we went to the museum and braved an unresearched (gasp!) restaurant afterwards for a snack. Luckily it's San Francisco so there was a kale salad on the menu that I could eat by just swapping lemon juice and olive oil for the dressing. My husband got the same with some tea-smoked duck that was pretty friggin' fantastic. The waiter swore it only had tea on it, but I'm really paranoid so I only had a small bite (wish I had more...). I felt awkward grilling the waiter, but he's probably super used to needy customers (again... San Francisco). 

Yesterday's pot roast is currently bubbling away in the pressure cooker and I'll post the recipe if it works out. 

NSV: I think I'm slimming a bit and my stomach is definitely smaller. My energy levels have been pretty good for days and all my digestion issues went away a week ago. Husband says he's back to feeling the same as pre-whole 30 but he has lost some weight, but he attributes that mostly to not drinking. He's decided that he is the "control" for our experiment because I'm also exercising. 

You are so lucky you have that section at the store. So glad your stomach is better and that you are noticing the weight loss. Love the museum options

Hi everyone, day 22 here. sorry i've been a bit quiet, i was  visiting my family so had a little break from computers. managed to stay compliant by cooking my own meals or choosing not to eat certain things!

2 big NSV's - my mum pointed out that i'd lost weight around my stomach and lower back which was nice, and i've managed to kick my coffee habit too without feeling like a total zombie! i did suffer headaches, but they were manageable!

Still got upset stomach/gut issues but i'm guessing my gut must still be healing!

off for the weekly food shop and food prep now, so time consuming!!

Have a good sunday everyone!

I can’t believe it is day 20 and I have 10 days left. My sugar dragon smiled and said we should go out to fast food and have cocktails at the end. I said Oh we aren’t doing reintroductions. We are going to continue again. I am starting another whole 30 when I get back from my trip back east the first week of Aug. I am planning on remaining paleo during the trip. Not as stricted as this though but not doing any sugary paleo desserts and paleoizing things.

I am still very foggy and forgetful. Although for the most part my energy is better. I have added some things to help my body because of it’s weakened state that has been successful so that I am happy about. I have to take some melatonin for sleep.  I already take enough calcium/mag that I didn’t want to add the calm for bowel reasons.

I am really proud of myself. We had a kids evening event at my job where we did pizza, chocolate chip cookies, juices and milk. Zootopia was the movie. I had to clean up cookie mess off of faces and hands. I didn’t accidentally lick my fingers. Yay. I was very conscious to dig out the chocolate under my nails. I had all the real little one that were scared on my lap. At one point I was cuddling 3 of them because they were scare. Too cute. I was able to stay away from it and although I wanted a cookie was ok with not eating it.

I got home late and of course am up early. I wish I could sleep past 5. This is getting really irritating. I am tired this morning and I am hoping that as I move around I will wake up better. So I am off to the store to get butter so I can make ghee this morning. And might as well just get my day started.

My NSV is that I am having more energy so I don't feel drugged anymore as much. I also have been noticing my double chin is getting smaller, I made my bra smaller, and had to retie my drawstring pants. I have also been able to keep going even though I can't seem to get a real prep day which is frustrating.

Day 19 I think I'm no longer counting like I was.  Yesterday I had over 24,000 steps that's right twenty-four thousand steps on my Fitbit Tracker.  I mowed with a push mower. My yard is like an acre so we are talking about allot of mowing then I mowed by the road then the pasture, then cleaned the house, finished the laundry oh my gosh!   I'm almost 60 and I haven't felt this great in I DONT KNOW WHEN!  So glad I started this program. I've done so many things but never gave up in figuring out what was really wrong with me. I've been to doctors who diagnosed an auto immunne disease. I think this is their latest catch all. Went through a test treatment program with steriods ..... and my list could go on and on.  At the end of the day I always felt like crap.

I can honestly say I Physically FEEL GREAT today and I just take it one day at a time at this phase of my life.  Emotionally I'm a wreck...

My beloved 165 pd guardian dog died today so the day is full of tears and saddness. Even though he has been very ill with bone cancer it's still super hard to make this realization. He has protected the livestock for 11 years and protected everything on the land. His name is Etta Coyote and that's what he did for fun.

Tears, tears and more tears...

So sorry about you baby. They give us so much joy. Hope your weekend is going well

So I made something really good. My own creation. 

1 whole foods turkey burger (or TJ which are both compliant) or just ground turkey

3 large handfuls of spinach

2-3 bella mushrooms

Winking girl tomatillos salsa or your own

1/2 avocado

Add ghee or oil to pan and cook up the turkey. Chop it up into pieces. 

add ghee &  oil to pan and sauté up the the mushrooms and set aside.

To the same pan sauté up the spinach til wilted. 

Add meat and mushrooms to the pan and then add salsa to taste.

Top off with avocado and eat. It was so good

You can also do it with another veggie that you want

Day 21, prep day.

I've got to mix it up this week! I don't usually get sick of foods, but we're at that point now. Time to mix it up and go off the map a bit!

New issue, though - my boyfriend gets sick after every meal (I don't). Even if we eat at a restaurant, and no matter what the food is. He thinks it's because the rest of his diet is so poor - he gets something different/healthy, and it's like his system has no idea how to handle it. I'm thinking that reacting so negatively to good, wholesome food is a sign of a bigger problem, but he's not considering that, or giving up his usual diet of Whataburger and wings.

9.5 more days! I wonder if going back to some 'normal' foods - like buying regular bacon instead of sugar-free bacon - is going to poke the sugar dragon. There's so much sugar in everything these days... It seems like a slippery slope back into bad habits.

Happy almost fourth week, all!

I can’t believe it is day 20 and I have 10 days left. My sugar dragon smiled and said we should go out to fast food and have cocktails at the end. I said Oh we aren’t doing reintroductions. We are going to continue again. I am starting another whole 30 when I get back from my trip back east the first week of Aug. I am planning on remaining paleo during the trip. Not as stricted as this though but not doing any sugary paleo desserts and paleoizing things.

I am still very foggy and forgetful. Although for the most part my energy is better. I have added some things to help my body because of it’s weakened state that has been successful so that I am happy about. I have to take some melatonin for sleep.  I already take enough calcium/mag that I didn’t want to add the calm for bowel reasons.

I am really proud of myself. We had a kids evening event at my job where we did pizza, chocolate chip cookies, juices and milk. Zootopia was the movie. I had to clean up cookie mess off of faces and hands. I didn’t accidentally lick my fingers. Yay. I was very conscious to dig out the chocolate under my nails. I had all the real little one that were scared on my lap. At one point I was cuddling 3 of them because they were scare. Too cute. I was able to stay away from it and although I wanted a cookie was ok with not eating it.

I got home late and of course am up early. I wish I could sleep past 5. This is getting really irritating. I am tired this morning and I am hoping that as I move around I will wake up better. So I am off to the store to get butter so I can make ghee this morning. And might as well just get my day started.

My NSV is that I am having more energy so I don't feel drugged anymore as much. I also have been noticing my double chin is getting smaller, I made my bra smaller, and had to retie my drawstring pants. I have also been able to keep going even though I can't seem to get a real prep day which is frustrating.

Congrats on sticking with it despite the cookie temptation (and realizing you were fine without it). Glad to hear you're having more energy, too!

Hi everyone, day 22 here. sorry i've been a bit quiet, i was  visiting my family so had a little break from computers. managed to stay compliant by cooking my own meals or choosing not to eat certain things!

2 big NSV's - my mum pointed out that i'd lost weight around my stomach and lower back which was nice, and i've managed to kick my coffee habit too without feeling like a total zombie! i did suffer headaches, but they were manageable!

Still got upset stomach/gut issues but i'm guessing my gut must still be healing!

off for the weekly food shop and food prep now, so time consuming!!

Have a good sunday everyone!

Wow!! Supergirl over here! Kicked sugar dragon and coffee! Congrats on the NSVs and healing gut!

Happy weekend everyone!

Lots of goodness in this post - congrats, especially on getting out of the house and making it work! Super jealous of your Nom Nom Paleo bar!

Update... Meals for this week:

Breakfasts: My version of kitchen sink scrambled eggs with tomatoes, butternut squash, spinach, asparagus, and onion powder

Lunches (I don't usually do four of the same, but I wanted to simplify it, and with this, I can add stuff I make, like cauliflower mash or spaghetti squash, through the week): Gazpacho with chicken meatballs and avocado (from the book); leftovers from brisket

Dinners: Meatballs with homemade red sauce and spaghetti squash; butter salmon with spaghetti squash; chicken, roasted potatoes, and broccoli; brisket with butternut squash; steak and asparagus

I just made an epic amount of gazpacho and meatballs. I hope they're good! Happy Monday to everyone!

Happy Monday, everyone!  Another quickie fly-by from me…  I'm working in NY part of this week, had to be up at 4am (ugh) to drive up here.  The hubs and I spent most of yesterday evening cooking, so that we'd have easy meals for the next few days and all I have to do is take stuff out of the work fridge and nuke it.  Today is going to be a bummer, because we have an all-day team building thing at work and my boss has luxury tastes — there's going to be a gourmet lunch, and cocktails at the end of the day for happy hour.  But I have compliant food and will drink seltzer with lime while the others are drinking martinis…  there will plenty of other opportunities for cocktails and such when this is over in a week.  :)

Of all funny things, my biggest challenge this week was: not weighing myself!  We celebrated my mom's birthday yesterday, and the hubs and I brought over all the food to cook, under the guise of "don't bother making anything, it's your birthday and we'll take care of everything for you".  :)  Lunch was great, and we had no problems resisting the birthday cake which was a nice surprise.  BUT — mom has a scale in her bathroom…  and when I was in there, I wanted SO badly to strip down and weigh myself out of curiosity!!!!!  LOL  Who knew I'd be able to resist the siren song of a bakery cake, but have an internal struggle over using a scale!

I'll catch up on everyone's posts when I'm back in a few days…  we're in our final week now!!!!  Go team GO!

Happy Monday, everyone!  Another quickie fly-by from me…  I'm working in NY part of this week, had to be up at 4am (ugh) to drive up here.  The hubs and I spent most of yesterday evening cooking, so that we'd have easy meals for the next few days and all I have to do is take stuff out of the work fridge and nuke it.  Today is going to be a bummer, because we have an all-day team building thing at work and my boss has luxury tastes — there's going to be a gourmet lunch, and cocktails at the end of the day for happy hour.  But I have compliant food and will drink seltzer with lime while the others are drinking martinis…  there will plenty of other opportunities for cocktails and such when this is over in a week.   :)

Of all funny things, my biggest challenge this week was: not weighing myself!  We celebrated my mom's birthday yesterday, and the hubs and I brought over all the food to cook, under the guise of "don't bother making anything, it's your birthday and we'll take care of everything for you".   :)  Lunch was great, and we had no problems resisting the birthday cake which was a nice surprise.  BUT — mom has a scale in her bathroom…  and when I was in there, I wanted SO badly to strip down and weigh myself out of curiosity!!!!!  LOL  Who knew I'd be able to resist the siren song of a bakery cake, but have an internal struggle over using a scale!

I'll catch up on everyone's posts when I'm back in a few days…  we're in our final week now!!!!  Go team GO!

You got this and I know you will do great. I totally understand about that siren song. 

Well yesterday was a page out of week one. I was so tired and fuzzy brained. I forgot everything yesterday. I was also very grouchy. It was just one of those days. I didn’t want to be at work all I wanted to do was be in bed and do nothing. I was able to stay compliant even though they had desserts and pastries’ in the back where the serving and back of the house eats. I had to keep checking my attitude so I didn’t take it out on someone

I slept really well last night. I only woke up twice. The second time I couldn’t go back to sleep because my upper back was hurting. I finally rolled out of bed at 5:30. I long for the days when I can sleep past 6. I am going to have to invest into some black out curtains. The only issue is I have a lot of windows where I sleep. It sucks.

I am hoping today is better. Still somewhat groggy but functional. Today I have a lot of stuff to do after work. I want to do major food prep and pick up around the house. Why does the desk the place just magically look like a bomb went off?? Oh right, I guess that means I need to put stuff away and not just dump it on surfaces. Time to put some order in and also pay bills.

Boy my brain is poop. I am doing laundry and forgot to take the cases off my pillows. Oh well.

Food yesterday

Roasted potatoes, sautéed spinach & mushrooms, eggs, tomatillo sauce

RX bar 

Chicken apple sausage, artichoke, watermelon

Tuna salad – tuna (celery, carrot, mayo, pickles), cucumber, green beans, butter leaf lettuce, alfalfa sprouts

Hey guys I found something great at whole foods. Not sure if all carry it. It is by WrawP, Organice gluten free bread that is paleo. I have used the original because the others are listed a sweet. Ingredients are: zucchini apple, flax seeds, coconut, turmeric, oregano, onion and black pepper. I am not going to use it because it may feed my carb dragon like paleoizing deserts. But it is out there when we get off

Happy Monday, everyone!  Another quickie fly-by from me…  I'm working in NY part of this week, had to be up at 4am (ugh) to drive up here.  The hubs and I spent most of yesterday evening cooking, so that we'd have easy meals for the next few days and all I have to do is take stuff out of the work fridge and nuke it.  Today is going to be a bummer, because we have an all-day team building thing at work and my boss has luxury tastes — there's going to be a gourmet lunch, and cocktails at the end of the day for happy hour.  But I have compliant food and will drink seltzer with lime while the others are drinking martinis…  there will plenty of other opportunities for cocktails and such when this is over in a week.   :)

Of all funny things, my biggest challenge this week was: not weighing myself!  We celebrated my mom's birthday yesterday, and the hubs and I brought over all the food to cook, under the guise of "don't bother making anything, it's your birthday and we'll take care of everything for you".   :)  Lunch was great, and we had no problems resisting the birthday cake which was a nice surprise.  BUT — mom has a scale in her bathroom…  and when I was in there, I wanted SO badly to strip down and weigh myself out of curiosity!!!!!  LOL  Who knew I'd be able to resist the siren song of a bakery cake, but have an internal struggle over using a scale!

Woohoo! You always amaze me with the ways you sneak in some Whole30 goodness that gets shared with everyone. You should be a Whole30 ambassador! Your enthusiasm is electrifying.

I can certainly understand how a scale is more tempting than a cake at this point - your willpower toward the cake is bulletproof now, and you're so excited about all of the progress you've made (and you've very clearly made so much) that you want to see what that number is! :)

Well yesterday was a page out of week one. I was so tired and fuzzy brained. I forgot everything yesterday. I was also very grouchy. It was just one of those days. I didn’t want to be at work all I wanted to do was be in bed and do nothing. I was able to stay compliant even though they had desserts and pastries’ in the back where the serving and back of the house eats. I had to keep checking my attitude so I didn’t take it out on someone

I slept really well last night. I only woke up twice. The second time I couldn’t go back to sleep because my upper back was hurting. I finally rolled out of bed at 5:30. I long for the days when I can sleep past 6. I am going to have to invest into some black out curtains. The only issue is I have a lot of windows where I sleep. It sucks.

I am hoping today is better. Still somewhat groggy but functional. Today I have a lot of stuff to do after work. I want to do major food prep and pick up around the house. Why does the desk the place just magically look like a bomb went off?? Oh right, I guess that means I need to put stuff away and not just dump it on surfaces. Time to put some order in and also pay bills.

Boy my brain is poop. I am doing laundry and forgot to take the cases off my pillows. Oh well.

Food yesterday

RX bar 

Tuna salad – tuna (celery, carrot, mayo, pickles), cucumber, green beans, butter leaf lettuce, alfalfa sprouts

Hey guys I found something great at whole foods. Not sure if all carry it. It is by WrawP, Organice gluten free bread that is paleo. I have used the original because the others are listed a sweet. Ingredients are: zucchini apple, flax seeds, coconut, turmeric, oregano, onion and black pepper. I am not going to use it because it may feed my carb dragon like paleoizing deserts. But it is out there when we get off

Sorry to hear you're foggy and groggy! It seems like this has been a special challenge for you, and I can't tell you how excited I am for you that here we are, at the fourth week, and you're holding strong despite some unpleasant symptoms. You've really overcome a fair amount of curveballs, between your personal life, your time away from home, the symptoms, specific health challenges, etc. I'm proud of you! Keep going - it's only a little bit longer!

Thanks for sharing about the bread! I'll have to check it out. I have to admit... every crockpot meal I've made lately seems to be missing a side of buttered bread. I'm starting to see some of my cravings coming back, but in really specific situations, where that food makes a lot of sense. I'm hoping that means I'll only eat those foods when they should be added, and not constantly... pre-Whole30, cheese went on everything; mid-Whole30, I can't imagine fitting cheese into a lot of the meals I'm making.

I'm right there with you! Today is my team's offsite at a state park and I brought my own food (roast beef/veggie roll-ups and some other nibbles). I know that everyone else will be eating pretty good stuff and I'm pretty sure there will be beer. I miss beer. 

Week 4 (!) is starting off well for me with one exception: I had a major meltdown in during food prep yesterday when my mayo just wouldn't set twice in a row, wasting so much oil and eggs.  I'm an engineer and the mystery of why mayo just sometimes fails is incredibly infuriating. I had a mayo related anxiety attack (funny now, frustrating then) and I had to make an emergency Tessamae's run at Safeway while my husband roasted, poached and chopped. He gets major points. Our friends were BBQing last night and invited us over so we brought our leftover pot-roast and ate with them outside... they were making s'mores and we weren't even tempted!

Julia

Food yesterday

RX bar 

have you tried an eye mask? I have been in a lot of flats where the bedrooms stay quite light/have a streetlight outside, i got an eye mask and it did wonders!

Hope you're feeling better soon!!

I'm right there with you! Today is my team's offsite at a state park and I brought my own food (roast beef/veggie roll-ups and some other nibbles). I know that everyone else will be eating pretty good stuff and I'm pretty sure there will be beer. I miss beer. 

Week 4 (!) is starting off well for me with one exception: I had a major meltdown in during food prep yesterday when my mayo just wouldn't set twice in a row, wasting so much oil and eggs.  I'm an engineer and the mystery of why mayo just sometimes fails is incredibly infuriating. I had a mayo related anxiety attack (funny now, frustrating then) and I had to make an emergency Tessamae's run at Safeway while my husband roasted, poached and chopped. He gets major points. Our friends were BBQing last night and invited us over so we brought our leftover pot-roast and ate with them outside... they were making s'mores and we weren't even tempted!

Julia

my first ever mayo attempt went the same way.. i was really irritated by the amount of oil i'd wasted!!

Archived