Strength in Numbers - Lets Join Feeds for starts June 18-22, Starting 20th

EJSmadhatter

Day 18 here and feeling good, I wouldn't say I've got the tiger blood but my mood is very good today! Haven't had a chance to get much sleep the last couple of nights so that could be something to do with it! Had a bit of a "I AM SO OVER THIS" moment yesterday but then realised... I've got less 2 weeks left and I started thinking, "what on earth am i going to do after this??".

it's hard to say without re-intros having been done yet, but i imagine i'll continue eating this way, i'm really enjoying the food and do not want to go back to putting processed things in my body.

Things I haven't missed and I really thought I would.....

- cheese, not once and i used to eat it all the time, seriously sometimes i'd just get the block and a knife and nibble away with no real thought. 

- any dairy really except for whey protein as an addition to a smoothie

- bread/rice/pasta - i'm going to have a go at cauliflower rice tonight and see how that is and courgetti (or zoodles to most of you) are wonderful

- sugar - i never want to go back to that horrible relationship with the sugar dragon, he's been dumped for good 

- alcohol - sure there's been moments where i've thought "ooh a wee wine would be nice", but i've just put some soda water in a wine glass with lime and ice and that did the trick

- shop bought sauces - homemade is so much better and worth the effort - homemade pesto, mayo and applesauce have all been made and loved with chimmichuri to try next week!

Things i have missed....

- thai food - i really want a thai green curry but nowhere in the uk seems to have a paste without sugar

- the ease of eating out - have had to avoid thai/indian restaurants as you don't know whats going in the food and i do love that kind of cuisine

- extra breakfast options such as overnight oats/a smoothie - i woudn't eat these a lot before W30, but if i'm hitting the gym before work and need to be out the house quick, something i can grab like this for after the gym is nice to have as another option.

- vegetarian options - this for me would be a chickpea curry/bean chilli - i've eaten a LOT of meat and assuming all is well with legumes it'll be nice to have some more vegetable based dishes with plant based proteins a couple of nights a week

I can't say i've missed any food groups at all which is surprising and really good!

Have a great day everyone  :D

I so enjoyed your list of things you haven't missed!  Didn't think about it until I read your comments.  I'm with you on the sugar demon being removed. I never want to experience the withdrawals again. Not worth the lousy feeling that goes along with it.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today feels weird. I am not at home so there is not food prep. When I get to my cousins I will make a salad but there is no "I need to make this and check that, and make sure this is done" I have my emergency things for when non compliant things come up but I feel kind of like a leaf on the wind. Not sure I like it but it is kind of exciting. Every day and meal has been planned for so long to not have anything planned kind of makes me agitated too. This is my first vacation that I have remained compliant EVER. I have always gone off plan or scheduled the improving my eating/whole 30 around it. 

One of the things I really need to start watching more is am I still feeding the sugar dragon with compliant foods. In some ways I am. I am eating too many nuts but I have now completely cut out pistacios. Other nuts I don't bing eat as much. I am going to cut down on the amount of fruit I eat and split it up between meals. I am going to take my carby veggie and reduce the portions so I am eating more of the others. I am also going to be more aware when I am eating certain things if I am feeding a craving while I am hungry. Sugar dragon is very sneaky and I have allowed it to manipulate me for many years so it knows all the ins and outs. On the whole I am very proud of my self and proud of the group. We really have a great thing going here.

Your posts are so fabulous. I really relate to your words and find it comforting that this battle isn't all mine. I'm adding exercise today. I live in Texas on 91 beautiful acres. I had an accident 8 years ago and that's when everything just fell apart, I didn't walk unaided for 18 months. For the very first time since then I actually feel that there is light and I can control my life again.  Reading everyone's posts has been so inspiring!  We can do this! I feel good really really good and even when I don't think I do, I compare it to just 2 weeks ago and realize I feel good really really good!

Day 17 here! Honestly I haven't been keeping track lately and just had to count it on my calendar. I don't think I've got the Tiger's Blood, but I feel really good today and my 7am Spin class went pretty well. I started going to the gym a few weeks before I started Whole 30 so I'm not sure if it's the food or just me getting into shape - either way, I'll take the win!

Last night was our weekly Pub Trivia night. It's really hard to sit there for a few hours drinking soda water with lime while my friends are all drinking beer and eating delicious fried things. There was a plate of fries in front of me for an hour - usually I would casually pick at them even when they're cold and gross but this week I just tried my best to ignore them. We ate a huge dinner of Aidell's sausage, sautéed eggplant, and oven-roasted cabbage before we went out so I was still full even after we got home. 

My husband is so over this, by the way. He's committed to seeing it through, but since he hasn't seen any of the promised results he just doesn't think it's doing anything for him. Food-wise, we're sticking to the guidelines pretty well - he's actually way better about compliant snacking than I am. Our main weakness is that maybe we are eating too much fruit? We bought some delicious stone fruit (peaches, nectarines, pluots) at the farmer's market on Sunday and have been eating a few per day. We're also trying to keep the dried fruit snacking in check - it's funny how candy-like raisins taste now. He fantasizes out loud about he's going to eat when we finish (Domino's pizza, haha) but we've also been thinking a lot about our reintroduction plan. While I don't think I see Whole 30 as a sustainable diet shift for myself (my pre-W30 meals were actually pretty balanced and wholesome), I am going to pay a lot more attention to ingredients and go as unprocessed as possible. I think I'd been eating too many "low-fat" foods - it's better to eat a reasonable amount of full-fat, plus it tastes so much better. 

One tip for the week:

This week I repurposed a small dry-erase board to write out our meal plans for the week. We have it up in the kitchen so it's a visual reminder of meal planning and prep items. Super helpful!

Day 17 here! Honestly I haven't been keeping track lately and just had to count it on my calendar. I don't think I've got the Tiger's Blood, but I feel really good today and my 7am Spin class went pretty well. I started going to the gym a few weeks before I started Whole 30 so I'm not sure if it's the food or just me getting into shape - either way, I'll take the win!

Last night was our weekly Pub Trivia night. It's really hard to sit there for a few hours drinking soda water with lime while my friends are all drinking beer and eating delicious fried things. There was a plate of fries in front of me for an hour - usually I would casually pick at them even when they're cold and gross but this week I just tried my best to ignore them. We ate a huge dinner of Aidell's sausage, sautéed eggplant, and oven-roasted cabbage before we went out so I was still full even after we got home. 

My husband is so over this, by the way. He's committed to seeing it through, but since he hasn't seen any of the promised results he just doesn't think it's doing anything for him. Food-wise, we're sticking to the guidelines pretty well - he's actually way better about compliant snacking than I am. Our main weakness is that maybe we are eating too much fruit? We bought some delicious stone fruit (peaches, nectarines, pluots) at the farmer's market on Sunday and have been eating a few per day. We're also trying to keep the dried fruit snacking in check - it's funny how candy-like raisins taste now. He fantasizes out loud about he's going to eat when we finish (Domino's pizza, haha) but we've also been thinking a lot about our reintroduction plan. While I don't think I see Whole 30 as a sustainable diet shift for myself (my pre-W30 meals were actually pretty balanced and wholesome), I am going to pay a lot more attention to ingredients and go as unprocessed as possible. I think I'd been eating too many "low-fat" foods - it's better to eat a reasonable amount of full-fat, plus it tastes so much better. 

One tip for the week:

This week I repurposed a small dry-erase board to write out our meal plans for the week. We have it up in the kitchen so it's a visual reminder of meal planning and prep items. Super helpful!

Marvelous that your husband is giving it a try right beside you!  My husband WILL NOT even consider the idea. Now mind you he eats most things I prepare then throws in some corn dogs, chili dogs, cheese burgers,chips, hot sauce, nachos......  His diet is so unhealthy but yet on our blood work his results were superior to mine, ugh!!!  Those genetics and DNA!!  grrrr. Oh well, congrats on making it through Day 17, almost there!

I started on June 20th so I think this is day 17 for me too.

No more sleepy fog hovering over me, oh yes!!  That was the worst, I think it had allot to do with not drinking enough water. Thanks for that suggestion it worked!

Going to go for 30 minutes of exercise with Jack Lalane. Everyone here is probably way to young to remember him, but he has a great exercise program available on ROKU that I signed up for.  Also going to force myself to to at least 5,000 steps on my FitBit.  It's time.

Things I haven't missed and I really thought I would.....

- cheese, not once and i used to eat it all the time, seriously sometimes i'd just get the block and a knife and nibble away with no real thought. 

- bread/rice/pasta - i'm going to have a go at cauliflower rice tonight and see how that is and courgetti (or zoodles to most of you) are wonderful

- sugar - i never want to go back to that horrible relationship with the sugar dragon, he's been dumped for good 

I really wish I could say I didn't miss these things! Even my sugar dragon is still rearing its ugly head from time to time. Cheese, I missed A LOT at the beginning, but not so much now. Kudos to you!

So today feels weird. I am not at home so there is not food prep. When I get to my cousins I will make a salad but there is no "I need to make this and check that, and make sure this is done" I have my emergency things for when non compliant things come up but I feel kind of like a leaf on the wind. Not sure I like it but it is kind of exciting. Every day and meal has been planned for so long to not have anything planned kind of makes me agitated too. This is my first vacation that I have remained compliant EVER. I have always gone off plan or scheduled the improving my eating/whole 30 around it. 

One of the things I really need to start watching more is am I still feeding the sugar dragon with compliant foods. In some ways I am. I am eating too many nuts but I have now completely cut out pistacios. Other nuts I don't bing eat as much. I am going to cut down on the amount of fruit I eat and split it up between meals. I am going to take my carby veggie and reduce the portions so I am eating more of the others. I am also going to be more aware when I am eating certain things if I am feeding a craving while I am hungry. Sugar dragon is very sneaky and I have allowed it to manipulate me for many years so it knows all the ins and outs. On the whole I am very proud of my self and proud of the group. We really have a great thing going here.

Congrats on sticking with it - that's huge! It also shows you that this is a way you can live going forward, of course with some things added that don't bother you during reintroduction. I had to totally cut myself off from almonds because they turn into massive snacks quite easily. I have mostly cut out fruit, too, because I tend to eat/see it as dessert, which is not okay for this plan.

That's awesome!  You'd be surprised how many places are cool with making accommodations, as long as it's for "food allergies" as I usually put it.   :)  Note to anyone who travels: all you have to do is call your hotel ahead of time and tell them you need a mini fridge in your room "for medical reasons", and they'll do it for you (often at no charge).  Hotels have a bunch of them available for people who need to refrigerate insulin, other medications, breast milk, etc.  I certainly consider having non-inflammatory food available a "medical reason".

Thank goodness, I'm feeling better after a brutal day yesterday.  I was the worst I've felt in over 2 weeks of doing this...  completely exhausted, foggy brain, anxious, sluggish to the point where it was an effort just to walk through the house.  (I told my husband it feels like I'm trying to walk through a pool full of peanut butter.)  Granted, I got a horrible night's sleep the night before... and my husband pointed out that we had a lot of fruit salad and (compliant) potato salad at Sunday's BBQ, so maybe I was coming down off of a mini carb overload.  It's crazy how quickly your entire outlook can change from one day to the next -- for the past 2 weeks I've been feeling energetic, happy, sexy, feisty, and all around awesome...  Then overnight, I switched to feeling exhausted, bloated, miserable, and fat.  I do NOT want to feel that way again, it was awful.

Thanks for the tip on the fridge! I did NOT know that! And I'm hoping you're feeling much better. Those other, improved feelings are much preferred. :) I had to laugh out loud at the imagery with the pool full of peanut butter!

One tip for the week:

Nice idea on the dry erase board! Ooh, if you have some open wall space, you could do the chalkboard paint and make it kind of a display for your kitchen. Kids love that stuff, too. ...If you want to make it more permanent. :)

I agree on the "things changed for the better" - there are some things I'll never buy/eat again because of what I found out was in them. So that's a great thing coming out of this plan. It's hard to work alongside someone who's really not "bought into" it anymore, though... my boyfriend wavers between very supportive of and angrily frustrated with the plan. Maybe tell your husband to post here in the Troubleshooting section? :D

Day 17 here, just wanted to drop a quick note. I'm feeling well, despite not getting enough sleep two nights in a row now (ugh!). I did the opposite of the couch potato routine last night - I cleaned for three hours, then cooked dinner, ate with my boyfriend, and then cleaned for another hour and a half! And I still wasn't tired enough to crash immediately upon crawling into bed! I was getting pretty far behind at home with the family craziness that was going on, but now I'm caught up and then some.

A few NSVs (minus one I thought of this morning and promptly forgot... oops)

-Wearing a shirt today that I bought roughly a month before starting the plan and stuffed into my closet immediately upon realizing it would have generated pregnancy rumors due to how huge my belly looked (and it looks fine today)

-No one has told me I looked tired since the beginning of the plan (used to hear this ALL the time)

-Plenty of energy to work a full day, cook dinner, and keep up with household responsibilities (see above :D)

Hope everyone is having a fabulous Wednesday!

Just wanted to share our recipe for dinner tonight - I'm a sucker for Frank's Red Hot:

Buffalo Chicken & Broccoli bowls:

http://www.foxandbriar.com/buffalo-chicken-and-broccoli-bowls/

I forgot to buy cauliflower for the rice so we tried Nom Nom Paleo's way of broiling zucchini instead (mushy but better than sauteed):

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4739682522/broiled-zucchini-or-eggplant

Hey team,

Day 19 here, madness it's going so fast! Reading through your posts, you're all doing so well and i'm so glad we have this group!

Last night's dinner was amazing and really easy! 

It was this:

http://physicalkitchness.com/paleo-tomato-basil-beef-goulash-with-eggplant/

and i had some sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower rice with it, highly recommend! 

Been having another think over NSV's and the way my taste/outlook has changed and I've been thinking that prior to the plan i didn't really feel like a meal was complete without carbs but now i'm very satisfied with a big plate of veg and substitutes like cauli rice and courgette/zucchini spaghetti. For ages i've wanted to change my diet to fit with my fitness a bit more, by keeping my carbs closer to when i work out and eating higher fat/lower carb meals around the times i'm not working out. I really struggled to do i before as i just wasn't feeling full or satisfied without rice/pasta/potatoes etc, but this has taught me how to be. So I think once this is over i'll have another go at that to see if it will enhance my performance when exercising and hopefully start seeing better results from the gym.

I've also decided to try and kick my coffee habit on my last 12 days of the plan, something i've done in the past but it's never stuck for longer than a few weeks but now my diet's cleaned up I want to see if I can do it properly. Means i'll be feeling tired/foggy over the next few days but i'm still feeling a bit like that anyway so I might as well! What's everyone else's caffeine consumption been like on this plan?

That's awesome!  You'd be surprised how many places are cool with making accommodations, as long as it's for "food allergies" as I usually put it.   :)  Note to anyone who travels: all you have to do is call your hotel ahead of time and tell them you need a mini fridge in your room "for medical reasons", and they'll do it for you (often at no charge).  Hotels have a bunch of them available for people who need to refrigerate insulin, other medications, breast milk, etc.  I certainly consider having non-inflammatory food available a "medical reason".

Thank goodness, I'm feeling better after a brutal day yesterday.  I was the worst I've felt in over 2 weeks of doing this...  completely exhausted, foggy brain, anxious, sluggish to the point where it was an effort just to walk through the house.  (I told my husband it feels like I'm trying to walk through a pool full of peanut butter.)  Granted, I got a horrible night's sleep the night before... and my husband pointed out that we had a lot of fruit salad and (compliant) potato salad at Sunday's BBQ, so maybe I was coming down off of a mini carb overload.  It's crazy how quickly your entire outlook can change from one day to the next -- for the past 2 weeks I've been feeling energetic, happy, sexy, feisty, and all around awesome...  Then overnight, I switched to feeling exhausted, bloated, miserable, and fat.  I do NOT want to feel that way again, it was awful.

I went to bed early last night and slept well, so I'm hopeful that today I'll be back to my old self.   :)

Thanks for the recommendation about the refrigerator. I didn't know that. I hope you feel better soon

Your posts are so fabulous. I really relate to your words and find it comforting that this battle isn't all mine. I'm adding exercise today. I live in Texas on 91 beautiful acres. I had an accident 8 years ago and that's when everything just fell apart, I didn't walk unaided for 18 months. For the very first time since then I actually feel that there is light and I can control my life again.  Reading everyone's posts has been so inspiring!  We can do this! I feel good really really good and even when I don't think I do, I compare it to just 2 weeks ago and realize I feel good really really good!

That is awesome and yes we can do it together!

Day 17 here, just wanted to drop a quick note. I'm feeling well, despite not getting enough sleep two nights in a row now (ugh!). I did the opposite of the couch potato routine last night - I cleaned for three hours, then cooked dinner, ate with my boyfriend, and then cleaned for another hour and a half! And I still wasn't tired enough to crash immediately upon crawling into bed! I was getting pretty far behind at home with the family craziness that was going on, but now I'm caught up and then some.

-Wearing a shirt today that I bought roughly a month before starting the plan and stuffed into my closet immediately upon realizing it would have generated pregnancy rumors due to how huge my belly looked (and it looks fine today)

-No one has told me I looked tired since the beginning of the plan (used to hear this ALL the time)

-Plenty of energy to work a full day, cook dinner, and keep up with household responsibilities (see above :D)

Awesome NSV. I have had that happen to me with sleep. Sometimes I would also in addition to the calm is take sleepy time tea and drink that an hour before bed. I also discovered I need to slow my activity level down sometimes 30 mins before and read a book or listen to music to get my body geared down for sleep.

It was for the most part a good day yesterday. There were a few instances where Sue (my cousin) got condescending but Crawford says he just doesn’t pay any attention to her. It was somewhat hard food wise. I forgot to bring the eggs and listened to Sue about not brining a lot over so when I got hungry I didn’t have a lot of options. I ate more fruit than I originally wanted but there you go. They were munching on chips, Cheetos, etc. so I may have gotten hungrier sooner than I should have just by watching them.

We had a great dinner with bbq grilled hamburgers, roasted potatoes, asparagus and broccoli. Brent was very careful to make sure that he was only putting on the foods that I needed which was very nice. My sister and her were both great about it. 

Food:

Scrambled eggs, spinach, & beef sausage with fresh picked peaches

Turkey, mixed greens, balsamic vinaigrette, peach

2oz beef sausage & banana (salad always does't fill me up very much)

Burger lettuce wrap, mayo & mustard, asparagus & broccoli with ghee, and roasted potatoes

Help!

Any recommendations on food I can eat picnic-style? Total "first-world problem": My department is going on an all-day trip next week to a state park as a reward/team-building/whatever that includes lunch. I'm thinking I should just bring my own food rather than talking to the admin about accommodating my special diet. 

So I was thinking something sandwich-like that can keep without refrigeration but still really filling because I depend on lunch a lot. I'll make sure to have a huge breakfast but we'll be gone from 9-4. 

Start day was June 19th... I am on day 18.... A friend and I are doing the whole30 together.  I am so frustrated because I see her results- any I know I am not supposed to compare, but I can't help it! She has lost major weight in her stomach and has more leg definition than me- we are also work out buddies.  May I also mention, she hasn't been compliant.... drank once, has been chewing gum and has bacon that she doesn't know is compliant or not.  I have been following the rules to a tee and feel like I could be gaining weight.  My stomach has been upset the last couple of weeks in the morning and I find myself so tied and closing my eyes at my desk.  Workouts are slow and difficult.  I used to have so much sugar and sweets and protein balls.... and I expected to have a major difference in my body, especially my stomach by now but have not seen any results.  I actually feel like I was starting to see results with my own diet and workouts before I went on the whole30 and now I worry that I wasted the last month on this diet for no reason.  Especially with summer I wanted to lose a couple of pounds in my stomach to make the inevitable bikini feel better... I just feel the need to rant to someone who understands.  Co-workers look at me like I am the annoying person on a diet and I don't feel very much support....My skin doesn't look better... my stomach hurts! Am I wasting my time on this!!

• Moderators

Help!

Any recommendations on food I can eat picnic-style? Total "first-world problem": My department is going on an all-day trip next week to a state park as a reward/team-building/whatever that includes lunch. I'm thinking I should just bring my own food rather than talking to the admin about accommodating my special diet. 

So I was thinking something sandwich-like that can keep without refrigeration but still really filling because I depend on lunch a lot. I'll make sure to have a huge breakfast but we'll be gone from 9-4. 

You can put 'whole 30 picnic' or 'whole 30 brown bag lunch' into google and get dozens of threads where this has been discussed with great suggestions :)

Start day was June 19th... I am on day 18.... A friend and I are doing the whole30 together.  I am so frustrated because I see her results- any I know I am not supposed to compare, but I can't help it! She has lost major weight in her stomach and has more leg definition than me- we are also work out buddies.  May I also mention, she hasn't been compliant.... drank once, has been chewing gum and has bacon that she doesn't know is compliant or not.  I have been following the rules to a tee and feel like I could be gaining weight.  My stomach has been upset the last couple of weeks in the morning and I find myself so tied and closing my eyes at my desk.  Workouts are slow and difficult.  I used to have so much sugar and sweets and protein balls.... and I expected to have a major difference in my body, especially my stomach by now but have not seen any results.  I actually feel like I was starting to see results with my own diet and workouts before I went on the whole30 and now I worry that I wasted the last month on this diet for no reason.  Especially with summer I wanted to lose a couple of pounds in my stomach to make the inevitable bikini feel better... I just feel the need to rant to someone who understands.  Co-workers look at me like I am the annoying person on a diet and I don't feel very much support....My skin doesn't look better... my stomach hurts! Am I wasting my time on this!!

Kristina, first off, welcome! If support is what you need, you've come to the right place! While the forums in general are good, this group is full of wonderfully supportive people. Please feel free to stick around and post more.

I would like to note that this plan is not really about losing weight, but being healthy. You'll be setting a baseline for your healthy body, which isn't up to you. It's determined by factors that are out of your control - genetics, environment, and past choices you've made. All three of those things will be different for your friend. On another note, I'd guess that if your friend is not compliant in those ways, she is not taking this seriously, and she is probably not following the guidelines in other ways. If she's skipping meals or scrimping on fat, yes, she will lose weight faster, but the losses are not sustainable.

If you'd like to post a few days' worth of meals, I'm sure the moderators will have a look and see if there are tweaks to be made.

Day 18: sick. Blech!

Sorry to report that I woke up actually sick today - no "carb flu," but a real sore throat and fever. Ah, well, bound to happen right after my boyfriend was sick. Posted up at his house, with compliant foods, lots of water, and the least offensive medicine I could find. I read over the forums for info, read ingredient labels carefully, realized I couldn't afford to take another day off of work, and decided to take something. I figured... It's an extremely miniscule amount, and I need to watch my health. I was careful to find one without starch or sugar.

Today's NSV is one word: Cheekbones!

I'll be heading to my old favorite store to buy jeans in the next size down as a goal. I want to add working out back into my plan, and that'll be good motivation to make it through a lot of cardio. I'll also need to figure out a good post-workout meal plan. Suggestions welcome! I was looking at a recipe for Scotch eggs as one possible idea.

I hope everyone is having a great Thursday! Y'all continue to inspire me!

Awesome NSV. I have had that happen to me with sleep. Sometimes I would also in addition to the calm is take sleepy time tea and drink that an hour before bed. I also discovered I need to slow my activity level down sometimes 30 mins before and read a book or listen to music to get my body geared down for sleep.

You're so right. I've got to be more consistent with wind-down time. Thanks, Elizabeth!

It was for the most part a good day yesterday. There were a few instances where Sue (my cousin) got condescending but Crawford says he just doesn’t pay any attention to her. It was somewhat hard food wise. I forgot to bring the eggs and listened to Sue about not brining a lot over so when I got hungry I didn’t have a lot of options. I ate more fruit than I originally wanted but there you go. They were munching on chips, Cheetos, etc. so I may have gotten hungrier sooner than I should have just by watching them.

We had a great dinner with bbq grilled hamburgers, roasted potatoes, asparagus and broccoli. Brent was very careful to make sure that he was only putting on the foods that I needed which was very nice. My sister and her were both great about it. 

Food:

Scrambled eggs, spinach, & beef sausage with fresh picked peaches

Turkey, mixed greens, balsamic vinaigrette, peach

2oz beef sausage & banana (salad always does't fill me up very much)

Burger lettuce wrap, mayo & mustard, asparagus & broccoli with ghee, and roasted potatoes

Those meals sound delicious! I've been really surprised by how laissez-faire people are with health - their own as well as that of others. It sounds like you've got a mix of that and support, but you're continuing to lead, which requires strength. Keep it up, my friend!

Hey team,

Day 19 here, madness it's going so fast! Reading through your posts, you're all doing so well and i'm so glad we have this group!

Last night's dinner was amazing and really easy! 

It was this:

http://physicalkitchness.com/paleo-tomato-basil-beef-goulash-with-eggplant/

and i had some sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower rice with it, highly recommend! 

Been having another think over NSV's and the way my taste/outlook has changed and I've been thinking that prior to the plan i didn't really feel like a meal was complete without carbs but now i'm very satisfied with a big plate of veg and substitutes like cauli rice and courgette/zucchini spaghetti. For ages i've wanted to change my diet to fit with my fitness a bit more, by keeping my carbs closer to when i work out and eating higher fat/lower carb meals around the times i'm not working out. I really struggled to do i before as i just wasn't feeling full or satisfied without rice/pasta/potatoes etc, but this has taught me how to be. So I think once this is over i'll have another go at that to see if it will enhance my performance when exercising and hopefully start seeing better results from the gym.

I've also decided to try and kick my coffee habit on my last 12 days of the plan, something i've done in the past but it's never stuck for longer than a few weeks but now my diet's cleaned up I want to see if I can do it properly. Means i'll be feeling tired/foggy over the next few days but i'm still feeling a bit like that anyway so I might as well! What's everyone else's caffeine consumption been like on this plan?

I'm so glad you're taking the time to be thoughtful about this. I know it hasn't been easy, but I'm hoping you are able to reap some more NSVs with some of the more recent changes made. I don't think I could give up coffee, so more power to you!

Help!

Can you take a small cooler with ice packs? If you can, I found the salmon cakes with homemade tartar sauce to be suitable, though you might look at the recommendations made by others in this thread, as following the recipe in the book resulted in some dry cakes. They would be tasty in lettuce wraps.

Can you take a small cooler with ice packs? If you can, I found the salmon cakes with homemade tartar sauce to be suitable, though you might look at the recommendations made by others in this thread, as following the recipe in the book resulted in some dry cakes. They would be tasty in lettuce wraps.

Exactly what I was thinking!  Using a small lunch box or cooler with ice packs will help you to bring whatever you'd like.  Maybe bake some chicken breasts (coat them in seasoned almond flour if you want them to look more like "fried chicken"), then cut the cooked chicken into strips and put them in a container.  (Or heck, just cook some chicken drumsticks and pack a few and eat them cold!  Yum!)  You can also do homemade potato salad made with compliant mayo, veggie sticks, fruit salad.

Kristina - welcome to our crazy little group!  I'll echo what Staggolee41 said — Whole30 isn't meant to be a weight loss diet, it's a way of eating to rid your body of inflammation and give you better health.  Some people do lose weight over time, but this isn't a crash diet or quick fix…  so if you approach it with a more long-term mindset, it'll help alleviate some of your concerns.  :)  Stomach problems and even weight gain are things that some people do experience on W30, it's a sign of your gut healing…  I'd recommend going back and reading over the basics again, see where you might be able to tweak what you're eating, and let the moderators here help you.  Everyone's body is on a different timeline, but the end goal is the same: to get healthier!  Good luck!

You can put 'whole 30 picnic' or 'whole 30 brown bag lunch' into google and get dozens of threads where this has been discussed with great suggestions :)

Thanks for the tip on the keyword search! I found a few lettuce/meat rollups that might work well (no chance of a cooler):

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/30457067976/a-week-of-paleo-school-lunches-part-4-of-5

http://whole30.com/2016/05/whole30-recipes-lunches/

http://iowagirleats.com/2015/07/27/california-turkey-and-bacon-lettuce-wraps-with-basil-mayo/

Also stumbled upon this cuban sandwich bowl that I NEED to make this weekend. I love cuban sandwiches so much!

http://wickedspatula.com/cuban-sandwich-bowls/

Next Wednesday, I'm attending an evening lecture that will require me driving 1.5 hours in traffic to get there. The food at these things is usually pizza so I need to figure out a meal that I can eat one-handed while driving in rush-hour. If my Monday picnic works well, it will be my car dinner on Wednesday too  :P

Thanks for all the advice! Hope everyone's day is going well. I managed to make it through my first ever boot camp this morning. I'm sore but happy. 

Hey Kristina, don't feel too disheartened! I've experienced similar frustrations to you with regard to the quality of my workouts and i understand how you feel. everyone is different and i think it's definitely worth seeing it though till the end, as some may take longer than others to see the benefits.

i would say give one of the moderators a message, they're really helpful! Keep posting here too for support, this is a really good group and has cheered me up on days when i've been fed up of a lack of tiger blood!

You're doing really good, keep going!  :)

Archived