Strength in Numbers - Lets Join Feeds for starts June 18-22, Starting 20th

EJSmadhatter

Hey everyone, day 23 here and the last week for me!

tired today, and got a foggy head again, i think i'm going to go and get some blood tests if i don't see improvement this week as i should be more awake by now! i could of course, still be adjusting to life without coffee.

also, so hungry today! usual meal sizes aren't filling me up but you have those days every now and then i suppose.

Can't believe it's nearly over, i've been planning how i'm going to do my re-intros - i have a wedding not long after this finishes so i'll have to go for the quick re-intros over 10 days rather than the slow roll so i know how each food group affects me prior to the wedding. it's a big Asian wedding so i'm anticipating lots of wonderful curries, etc but of course i won't know what's going in them all!

very mixed feelings about this finishing, but we'll have to take each day as it comes.

hope you're all having a great day!

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm right there with you! Today is my team's offsite at a state park and I brought my own food (roast beef/veggie roll-ups and some other nibbles). I know that everyone else will be eating pretty good stuff and I'm pretty sure there will be beer. I miss beer. 

Week 4 (!) is starting off well for me with one exception: I had a major meltdown in during food prep yesterday when my mayo just wouldn't set twice in a row, wasting so much oil and eggs.  I'm an engineer and the mystery of why mayo just sometimes fails is incredibly infuriating. I had a mayo related anxiety attack (funny now, frustrating then) and I had to make an emergency Tessamae's run at Safeway while my husband roasted, poached and chopped. He gets major points. Our friends were BBQing last night and invited us over so we brought our leftover pot-roast and ate with them outside... they were making s'mores and we weren't even tempted!

Julia

Julia, my (only) attempt at mayo went the same way, and I refused to make any more after that point, haha! Kudos to you for not letting the mayo tear up your progress thus far. It truly is a mystery, too... I'm sure, as an engineer, you want to know how things work, and when they do not work, why they do not work... I'm convinced the mayo problem is caused by solar flares. Or... something. Check your horoscope before you make mayo? Because this does not seem to be rooted in science.

tired today, and got a foggy head again, i think i'm going to go and get some blood tests if i don't see improvement this week as i should be more awake by now! i could of course, still be adjusting to life without coffee.

also, so hungry today! usual meal sizes aren't filling me up but you have those days every now and then i suppose.

Can't believe it's nearly over, i've been planning how i'm going to do my re-intros - i have a wedding not long after this finishes so i'll have to go for the quick re-intros over 10 days rather than the slow roll so i know how each food group affects me prior to the wedding. it's a big Asian wedding so i'm anticipating lots of wonderful curries, etc but of course i won't know what's going in them all!

very mixed feelings about this finishing, but we'll have to take each day as it comes.

Glad to hear it's not just me on the mixed feelings! I'm excited, but almost afraid, too. When you start to get some structure to your reintro plan, would you pretty please share?

Hope you start feeling better ASAP! Tiger blood or bust!

I'm right there with you! Today is my team's offsite at a state park and I brought my own food (roast beef/veggie roll-ups and some other nibbles). I know that everyone else will be eating pretty good stuff and I'm pretty sure there will be beer. I miss beer. 

Week 4 (!) is starting off well for me with one exception: I had a major meltdown in during food prep yesterday when my mayo just wouldn't set twice in a row, wasting so much oil and eggs.  I'm an engineer and the mystery of why mayo just sometimes fails is incredibly infuriating. I had a mayo related anxiety attack (funny now, frustrating then) and I had to make an emergency Tessamae's run at Safeway while my husband roasted, poached and chopped. He gets major points. Our friends were BBQing last night and invited us over so we brought our leftover pot-roast and ate with them outside... they were making s'mores and we weren't even tempted!

Julia

I have yet to try it

have you tried an eye mask? I have been in a lot of flats where the bedrooms stay quite light/have a streetlight outside, i got an eye mask and it did wonders!

Hope you're feeling better soon!!

I do already. It is when I get up to go to the bathroom that gets me. Once my body senses the light it is too late. 

I am very nervous. Believe it or not it is very easy to fall back into your old habits. I do it all the time. I am actually going to be doing several of these back to back. So I will be around. If you do a fast roll out it may be difficult to see what is the issue. If you can't properly reset your body before the next item some things may show up as bad when it is still a reaction from another food. I will be interested to hear how it goes

Julia, my (only) attempt at mayo went the same way, and I refused to make any more after that point, haha! Kudos to you for not letting the mayo tear up your progress thus far. It truly is a mystery, too... I'm sure, as an engineer, you want to know how things work, and when they do not work, why they do not work... I'm convinced the mayo problem is caused by solar flares. Or... something. Check your horoscope before you make mayo? Because this does not seem to be rooted in science.

Have you tried making mayo in a food processor? I haven't had a fail yet following the recipe in the book. It's really tasty too. I prefer it to the store bought approved mayo and it is way better than the mayo I used before starting whole 30. And it's not nearly as tedious as I thought it would be

Have you tried making mayo in a food processor? I haven't had a fail yet following the recipe in the book. It's really tasty too. I prefer it to the store bought approved mayo and it is way better than the mayo I used before starting whole 30. And it's not nearly as tedious as I thought it would be

I haven't - it hadn't occurred to me since I bought my food processor midway through the plan. I'll have to give it a look. After last night's gazpacho adventure, I'm a believer in food processors being magical!

I haven't - it hadn't occurred to me since I bought my food processor midway through the plan. I'll have to give it a look. After last night's gazpacho adventure, I'm a believer in food processors being magical!

They are the best. I use mine for everything! When you're adding the oil just pour it into the small part of the lid that has a tiny hole in the bottom. Kind of hard to explain but it's part of the pusher that you use to push down food into the bowl. Mine has a small round part inside of that that is used for adding oil or anything you want to pour in slowly. I hope this works for you and can't wait to hear how it goes

I am very nervous. Believe it or not it is very easy to fall back into your old habits. I do it all the time. I am actually going to be doing several of these back to back. So I will be around. If you do a fast roll out it may be difficult to see what is the issue. If you can't properly reset your body before the next item some things may show up as bad when it is still a reaction from another food. I will be interested to hear how it goes

Glad to hear it's not just me on the mixed feelings! I'm excited, but almost afraid, too. When you start to get some structure to your reintro plan, would you pretty please share?

Hope you start feeling better ASAP! Tiger blood or bust!

What i'm thinking is this:

I finish next Monday, the 18th so it'll go something like this:

Day 31, the 19th - introduce a food group

Days 32-33 - Whole 30 eating

Day 34, the 22nd - introduce another food group

Days 35-37 - Whole 30 eating

Day 38, the 26th - introduce another food group (taking a bigger gap here as i have a work lunch at an italian restaurant this day so i'm thinking of trying gluten here with bread and pasta)

Days 39 - 40 - Whole 30 eating 

Day 41, the 29th - introduce another food group

That will give me 4 mini trial periods where ii'll test each thing separately but keep everything else i eat whole 30, including no booze/no added sugar, so i can test legumes/grains/gluten/dairy here.

I then have the wedding i mentioned on the 31st so i'll eat what i fancy but avoid anything that looks like it may upset me and hope for the best. I might then return to a few days of whole 30 through the week just to reset and decide how i'll go on with my eating from there. 

I wish i could do a slow roll and just relax the rules and add things back in as i fancy them but with this wedding coming up it's not going to be very easy to do that, if i do what i've outlined above and keep the rest of my eating how it's been it should be fine though!

I plan to just avoid sugary things as much as i can as i really don't want the sugar dragon waking up again!

They are the best. I use mine for everything! When you're adding the oil just pour it into the small part of the lid that has a tiny hole in the bottom. Kind of hard to explain but it's part of the pusher that you use to push down food into the bowl. Mine has a small round part inside of that that is used for adding oil or anything you want to pour in slowly. I hope this works for you and can't wait to hear how it goes

That's what I used to make mayo over the weekend, and it worked great — the key is pouring the oil in slooooooowly.  Like, it should take at least 2 minutes to drizzle it all in while the processor's running.  (Of course, my first attempt went *pppppfffftttt* because I used mustard powder instead of actual mustard…  totally forgetting that you need the vinegar in the mustard to make it an emulsion.  Oops.)

Did fine yesterday with all my meals in NY, thank goodness for all that cooking I did on Sunday.  Meals for both yesterday and today are/were:

Breakfast: black coffee, big slice of frittata, watermelon chunks

Lunch: leftover carnitas, big salad with tahini vinaigrette, small serving of potato salad

Dinner: leftovers - chicken and mushrooms in balsamic cream sauce, veggies roasted in duck fat

Managed to turn down a glass of wine, both at work and with my friends later (I crashed at their place rather than getting a hotel).  Not gonna lie, wine will probably be my first reintroduction at the end of the month (but moving forward I'll have much less of it than before)!  But I know that turning down the wine meant I was able to sleep well last night instead of tossing and turning.  So it's all good.

I'm excited for all of us next week!  Wondering if we should start a thread on the "re-introduction" boards next week…  or just start a new introduction one on here (I'm going right into another W30, at least as of now)...

Day 38, the 26th - introduce another food group (taking a bigger gap here as i have a work lunch at an italian restaurant this day so i'm thinking of trying gluten here with bread and pasta)

That will give me 4 mini trial periods where ii'll test each thing separately but keep everything else i eat whole 30, including no booze/no added sugar, so i can test legumes/grains/gluten/dairy here.

I plan to just avoid sugary things as much as i can as i really don't want the sugar dragon waking up again!

That sounds like the plan from the book, so I think you will be fine. Any thoughts on order of things you will reintroduce? I too think my first introduction will be wine, though I'm tempted to make it dairy. I'm terrified the sugar dragon will rage again... the cravings/thoughts are still there, they are just more quiet and I'm a lot less likely to give into them.

That sounds like the plan from the book, so I think you will be fine. Any thoughts on order of things you will reintroduce? I too think my first introduction will be wine, though I'm tempted to make it dairy. I'm terrified the sugar dragon will rage again... the cravings/thoughts are still there, they are just more quiet and I'm a lot less likely to give into them.

I think dairy first as that's something i suspect i may have issues with, so thinking a yoghurt, some milk in my tea and a greek salad with feta that day... Then non gluten grains, so overnight oats and some rice that day... Then gluten grains on the day i go for the work lunch so some pasta, maybe a bit of bread.. and finally legumes with some peanut butter and chickpeas. 

I'll just stay off the alcohol for a few more weeks i think, i already know how it makes me feel and that isn't good so i'll save that for a bit yet.

how about you, have you had any thoughts??

Mayo update: I think the eggs I bought this week might have been too small. Last night I finally had mayo success by using 2 eggs, but the same immersion blender method as before (

but with the Whole 30 book's ingredients). What a relief!

Yesterday's work offsite was great! I brought veggie sticks (red pepper, avocado, cucumber) wrapped in roast-beef slices as well as baby carrots, apples and a hard boiled egg. It kept well and tasted delicious! My team ended up going on a pretty intensive hike after lunch and I huffed it to the top of the peak with everyone else. This was after I'd also done a spin class yesterday morning, so this was definitely a NSV!

We made Shepherd's pie from the book last night for dinner. One note is that it fits much better in a 9x9 pan than the 9x12 as described in the book. Very tasty but could use a little acid... maybe some tomato paste? 

Yesterday's work offsite was great! I brought veggie sticks (red pepper, avocado, cucumber) wrapped in roast-beef slices as well as baby carrots, apples and a hard boiled egg. It kept well and tasted delicious! My team ended up going on a pretty intensive hike after lunch and I huffed it to the top of the peak with everyone else. This was after I'd also done a spin class yesterday morning, so this was definitely a NSV!

Woohoo! You go girl! :) Every time I read you guys are doing well at work events, it makes me believe I can do it too, and I've got an intimidating one coming up on... day 30. Of all days.

What i'm thinking is this:

I finish next Monday, the 18th so it'll go something like this:

I then have the wedding i mentioned on the 31st so i'll eat what i fancy but avoid anything that looks like it may upset me and hope for the best. I might then return to a few days of whole 30 through the week just to reset and decide how i'll go on with my eating from there. 

I wish i could do a slow roll and just relax the rules and add things back in as i fancy them but with this wedding coming up it's not going to be very easy to do that, if i do what i've outlined above and keep the rest of my eating how it's been it should be fine though!

Awesome great planing

Day 23: I'm a freakin' flavor/texture mastermind (OK, maybe not, but I feel like one right now).

I cracked the code on the gazpacho! Yesterday, I felt like I was eating salsa with a spoon, which made me want chips. I had my bright, flavorful gazpacho; creamy avocado slices; and spiced, flavorful chicken meatballs. Good balance, but I couldn't get away from the salsa feeling.

So... I did some searching on the forums, and I found out that I can make potato chips at home and stay compliant. Just no commercially-made chips, and I needed to use a compliant oil. Cool. I went home, made chips (potatoes, olive oil, salt), and overdid them a bit. Result? The perfect smoky flavor, with the perfect crunch, and my gazpacho tasted AMAZING. I couldn't get enough of it with the chips!

Reeeeaaallly thinking about reintroductions. The idea of having a glass of wine the first night (like the book says) seems like a bad one for me personally - it'll make me approach the wine like a reward, which is a concept this plan tries to dissolve. So far, I'm thinking: Dairy -> Legumes -> Non-gluten grains -> Gluten grains -> Alcohol. Or maybe alcohol right after dairy. I can't decide. I just don't want to get back in my old habits.

• Moderators

Day 23: I'm a freakin' flavor/texture mastermind (OK, maybe not, but I feel like one right now).

I cracked the code on the gazpacho! Yesterday, I felt like I was eating salsa with a spoon, which made me want chips. I had my bright, flavorful gazpacho; creamy avocado slices; and spiced, flavorful chicken meatballs. Good balance, but I couldn't get away from the salsa feeling.

So... I did some searching on the forums, and I found out that I can make potato chips at home and stay compliant. Just no commercially-made chips, and I needed to use a compliant oil. Cool. I went home, made chips (potatoes, olive oil, salt), and overdid them a bit. Result? The perfect smoky flavor, with the perfect crunch, and my gazpacho tasted AMAZING. I couldn't get enough of it with the chips!

Reeeeaaallly thinking about reintroductions. The idea of having a glass of wine the first night (like the book says) seems like a bad one for me personally - it'll make me approach the wine like a reward, which is a concept this plan tries to dissolve. So far, I'm thinking: Dairy -> Legumes -> Non-gluten grains -> Gluten grains -> Alcohol. Or maybe alcohol right after dairy. I can't decide. I just don't want to get back in my old habits.

Just make sure they're baked or pan fried, no deep frying (or shallow deep frying) for potato chips...

That's what I used to make mayo over the weekend, and it worked great — the key is pouring the oil in slooooooowly.  Like, it should take at least 2 minutes to drizzle it all in while the processor's running.  (Of course, my first attempt went *pppppfffftttt* because I used mustard powder instead of actual mustard…  totally forgetting that you need the vinegar in the mustard to make it an emulsion.  Oops.)

Did fine yesterday with all my meals in NY, thank goodness for all that cooking I did on Sunday.  Meals for both yesterday and today are/were:

Breakfast: black coffee, big slice of frittata, watermelon chunks

Lunch: leftover carnitas, big salad with tahini vinaigrette, small serving of potato salad

Dinner: leftovers - chicken and mushrooms in balsamic cream sauce, veggies roasted in duck fat

Managed to turn down a glass of wine, both at work and with my friends later (I crashed at their place rather than getting a hotel).  Not gonna lie, wine will probably be my first reintroduction at the end of the month (but moving forward I'll have much less of it than before)!  But I know that turning down the wine meant I was able to sleep well last night instead of tossing and turning.  So it's all good.

I'm excited for all of us next week!  Wondering if we should start a thread on the "re-introduction" boards next week…  or just start a new introduction one on here (I'm going right into another W30, at least as of now)...

Would love to have the dinner recipe that sounds delicious 

The sugar dragon is smelling the end and has all sorts of ideas to do. I am going to have to go day by day. I feel like I am back in week one again. So frustrating. I also have a lot of emotional issues going on. The 10th of this month last year I put my mom on hospice from a stroke and she died on the 15th. The anniversary is coming up and I am having a hard time dealing with it. All I want to do is climb into a vodka bottle and stick my head in the sand. For you guys it is wine for me it is vodka. I don't do well on wine or beer. Although I love a good red. That was my favorite until it started causing stomach problems. 

I didn't sleep well last night so that is not helping my mind set. I had insomnia for 3 hours last night. Woke up at 12 and couldn't go back to sleep. Finally melatonin, calm, and benadryl later I was able to fall asleep. Luckily I was not a dead head when I woke up. I made the decision that I was not going to wallow in sorrow and I needed an attitude adjustment. So I did. I looked at all the things I am grateful for and the wins that I am having. I also saw The Life of Pets which is awesome and helped a lot.

I am really not going to do many re-introductions. I am still having too much problems with sugar. I have my trip coming so I am going to keep doing the same thing only I am not going to worry about the oil or the little bit of sugar I might get in things. I will do gluten and casin free deli meats. That way if we go out to eat or I have an issue finding things its not a start over for me. Then when I get back from my trip I will do another. 

Food

Chicken and spinach sausage, jicama, cucumber, apple

Waldorf turkey salad no nuts, carrots, snap peas, celery

Rx bar

Burger w/ magic mushroom powder, mayo, mustard, pickles, bacon, brussle sprouts with bacon, & left over potatoes 

PS I am tired of all the drama. It needs to stop now!! Not wanted or needed!! :blink:  :o

The sugar dragon is smelling the end and has all sorts of ideas to do. I am going to have to go day by day. I feel like I am back in week one again. So frustrating. I also have a lot of emotional issues going on. The 10th of this month last year I put my mom on hospice from a stroke and she died on the 15th. The anniversary is coming up and I am having a hard time dealing with it. All I want to do is climb into a vodka bottle and stick my head in the sand. For you guys it is wine for me it is vodka. I don't do well on wine or beer. Although I love a good red. That was my favorite until it started causing stomach problems. 

I didn't sleep well last night so that is not helping my mind set. I had insomnia for 3 hours last night. Woke up at 12 and couldn't go back to sleep. Finally melatonin, calm, and benadryl later I was able to fall asleep. Luckily I was not a dead head when I woke up. I made the decision that I was not going to wallow in sorrow and I needed an attitude adjustment. So I did. I looked at all the things I am grateful for and the wins that I am having. I also saw The Life of Pets which is awesome and helped a lot.

I am really not going to do many re-introductions. I am still having too much problems with sugar. I have my trip coming so I am going to keep doing the same thing only I am not going to worry about the oil or the little bit of sugar I might get in things. I will do gluten and casin free deli meats. That way if we go out to eat or I have an issue finding things its not a start over for me. Then when I get back from my trip I will do another. 

Food

Rx bar

Burger w/ magic mushroom powder, mayo, mustard, pickles, bacon, brussle sprouts with bacon, & left over potatoes 

PS I am tired of all the drama. It needs to stop now!! Not wanted or needed!! :blink:  :o

Here's hoping the drama comes to a screeching halt. Sorry to hear about your mom!

Your meals sound tasty. Throw some ice at the sugar dragon!

Food

Rx bar

Elizabeth, you're doing so well with everything that you've had going on and coming up. So sorry to hear about your mum. You can get through this, like you have the last few weeks. Stay strong!

Archived