Strength in Numbers - Lets Join Feeds for starts June 18-22, Starting 20th

EJSmadhatter

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Patty!  Thx for asking about the swing dancing.  I do a style called West Coast Swing, and I don't have a partner or anything...  you just go out to dances and classes, and you change partners every few minutes during class.  It's a great way to meet people and get some awesome exercise (I came home last night drenched with sweat and had to shower before bed)!

Carol - I think you're my Chicago twin!  I work from home, unfortunately down the street from several fast food places...  so when I'm having a stressful workday, it's easy to say "I'm taking a break and getting a Big Mac for lunch".  Ugh.  And I eat at restaurants probably 3-4 times a week at a minimum.  Between that and my evening glasses of red wine, it's no wonder I feel like such crap!  Good news is I haven't missed the sugar, wine or fast food as much as I expected...  fingers crossed that it continues!

also, EJSmadhatter, I would love your recipe for tandoori chicken thighs!!

The recipe I got was from realplans.com. I am going to put a link for nomnom paleo because mine has no garlic or onions in it. It was so good. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3251876576/super-easy-tandoori-chicken

Good Morning,

Jeanne in Santa Barbara here, joining this group at Day 1 June 22nd!   I will keep reading and sharing as we all go along.  I'm a busy working mom in a household where there will not be Whole30 going on except for me.  I work with kids, driving to their homes, so I definitely need to have whole30 compliant food in the car to keep from swerving into In and Out Burgers!   I am thinking I can do this, however!

Glad to be with you all - will let you know how day 1 was!

jeanne

Welcome we are glad to have you

I just started my second round of Whole30 Monday, June 20th. I did my first round October-November of 2015, I actually kept going and did my first Non-Whole 30 food (actually wine) at Thanksgiving and it was 47 days I think total. I actually stayed pretty close to plan until March of this year, 2016, when all heck broke loose. A Birthday, Anniversary, Traveling to New Orleans (a city that most just eat their way through), etc all in one month and have slowly been letting my sugar dragon sneak back up on me.

I tried to break the cycle a few times on my own, cutting out "sweet stuff" but then I realized that my addiction is bigger than me already....like a true drug addict, yep that's me, only my drug of choice is SUGAR. I noticed a pattern, I started eating more dried fruit, Larabars and other "Whole 30 compliant" packaged foods. I tell you, this lead to my downfall!!!! But I am going into this second round with my eyes wide open from those triggers.

I realized Friday of last week that it's time to just embark on another Whole30. The first go was AMAZING for me. I most definitely felt the tigerblood. I had more energy than I could ever imagine, I constantly wanted to move, my sleep was rock solid, my mood was great and by the end I was making great food choices all on my own. That is until March...which it's been an uphill battle since then.

My weekly exercise is typically 3 days of 1 hour high intensity boot camp (+ 30 minutes of strength training but only for the next month) and 3 days of running (alternating days obviously). The last go I definitely went through that stage where I felt like my legs were made of lead, but I just kept on keeping on and made it through to the other side with WAY MORE endurance and strength. Not to mention I looked fabulous,  dropped several pounds, and my body was burning fat instead of recently eaten carbs and sugar. I ran a 10K in February with an average 8:27 pace - ya'll this is AMAZING for me, my typical run is at a 9:30/10 minute pace. When my body got used to burning the fat instead of instant fuel....I actually felt better, but I wont lie I wanted to quit for 2 weeks when I was adjusting. 

All that said, it's time to get back at it. I did not do the forum last time around because I had my husband supporting me and doing it with me, but I think I need the support this go round, I couldn't find a buddy. I feel like it might be easier for me to try and "cheat" or something, which I do not want to do. Maybe a daily dose of reading these forums will help me stay on track.

Glad to have you with us. I too have a REALLY big problem with sugar. Lets kick it together. 

HALP! Someone brought doughnuts today, and while I had a good breakfast of ground beef, an egg, and avocado and tomato slices, I can almost smell the sugar from here. It doesn't help that my coworkers keep teasing me and asking if I want a doughnut.  :o I'm not feeling as exhausted and cloudy as I did yesterday, but nonetheless, the temptation is strong.

We can do it!

Hi! I'm Carol, in Chicago, and I am starting today. I appreciate all the great info already posted here! My goal is to do a major reset of what I eat. My demons are sugar and carbs, and as I live alone and work from home, I can sometimes eat out of boredome not hunger. I go out to eat a lot, which will be very challenging, and it's summer and I love my French rose wine. But I understand that in the grand scheme of things, this is not hard to give up some things for a while. I like the perspective of "fighting cancer is hard," eating without sugar, alcohol, and carbs is not hard. Anyway, I look forward to all of us moving forward successfully!

Welcome and I love the quote too

also, EJSmadhatter, I would love your recipe for tandoori chicken thighs!!

The recipe I got was from realplans.com. I am going to put a link for nomnom paleo because mine has no garlic or onions in it. It was so good. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3251876576/super-easy-tandoori-chicken

mine was with coconut milk, turmeric, cumin, coriander, cardamon, cayenne pepper and salt. opps I forgot the cilantro on the top but it was great with out it. Just beware it turns every thing yellow. 

Hi, 

My name is Kathy, and I just started yesterday, June 21.  I bought the Whole30 book and read it before embarking on this journey! Digestive issues run in my family, so I am going through the Whole30 to get back to basics and help me figure out which foods I need to eliminate or reduce once I am finished.  I already know I am sensitive to dairy- pizza and other foods loaded with dairy make me feel bloated!   I'm also hoping to sleep better at night.  

I exercise on a regular basis, so this is not a new goal, but one to maintain.  My main goal is to stick to the program and see it through, which would be a great accomplishment!  I look upon this program as one of self-discovery, determination and hopefully enlightenment!

So today has been kind of weird. I did really well considering all the triggers. They were going down to Escondido, being around really bad food for part of the day. So many it’s too much to mention. Then my niece says she may be breaking up with boyfriend 6 years. Sitting with family while they eat burgers and fries and I have a salad.

I did really well. Yes I ate too many nuts but compared to what I would have done it is leaps and bounds for me. Plus it seemed easy. Not sure how easy had the nuts not been there. LadyShanney, thanks for the info you gave on nuts. I am now more aware that it is an occasional food. I didn’t realize that so thank you. I will make sure I watch it more because I can see how it can be a substitute for not eating crap. I need to break that habit.

The weird thing is on the way home the negotiator started kicking in pretty loud. Well this and that and just one more day to indulge etc. It is almost harder now that I am away from all the triggers than when I was there. I also got very achey on the way home and grouchy. I cat napped on the 3 hr drive back to LA. Usually being so tired I would have said lets go to Taco Bell but I took out my prepped food and ate it. All in All a good day but I am a little in the dumps and really want a burger and fries!!!

I am going to get into bed early tonight.

Thanks to all of you that posted today. You are a big reason why I made my dinner instead of going to fast food.

Food:

Eggs salad in romaine boats

Turkey, nuts, apple, & some carrots, snap peas, green beans and celery w/ almond butter. (I know it sounds like a lot but it was a little of each and not the entire thing)

Chicken salad w/ carrots, purple cabbage, tomatoes, and red wine vinaigrette.

Nuts

Tandoori chicken w/ sautéed zucchini and small hand full of grapes & cherries  

Hi, 

My name is Kathy, and I just started yesterday, June 21.  I bought the Whole30 book and read it before embarking on this journey! Digestive issues run in my family, so I am going through the Whole30 to get back to basics and help me figure out which foods I need to eliminate or reduce once I am finished.  I already know I am sensitive to dairy- pizza and other foods loaded with dairy make me feel bloated!   I'm also hoping to sleep better at night.  

I exercise on a regular basis, so this is not a new goal, but one to maintain.  My main goal is to stick to the program and see it through, which would be a great accomplishment!  I look upon this program as one of self-discovery, determination and hopefully enlightenment!

Welcome and glad to have you with us

Hey everyone! I'm Katy, and I'm so glad there are several people starting around the same time. I started my first Whole30 on New Years, so there were plenty of people at the same stage, and it was really nice to get to interact and learn about others' experiences of the Whole30. I started on my 2nd Whole30 on 6/20/16, and what follows is what I wrote in my log, which serves as an okay introduction.

My first Whole30 was 3.5 years ago, and went pretty well. My main takeaways were:

1. Vegetables are delicious!!! :)
  2. Lots of great new recipes that I continue to make because they are *that* good
  3. Making a week's worth of food ahead of time is a great way to ensure eating healthy
  4. I am very sensitive to sugar and basically all grains - causing blood sugar fluctuations & anxiety, not stomach issues
  5. I don't do well on a low carb diet

I never really got to the high energy stage of the Whole30, though I remember a couple days in the middle I felt amazing. I started a PhD program a few months after finishing my whole30, eating mainly compliant but adding back in rice, soy, and noncompliant sauces for convenience's sake.  For the last 2 years I have been extremely busy and take all 3 meals with me to the lab. Often I'll get home at 11pm or later, and I've developed a habit of eating a snack then, which really turns into stress eating too many potato chips or other simple carb (usually salty for some reason...sugar makes me wired). I honestly like how the carbs make me really sleepy right before bed (though I have no trouble sleeping without them). I have also started eating more simple carbs in general, and they make me feel emotionally good in the short term but overall crummy.

My goals for this Whole30:

1. Break the night snacking habit
  2. See whether W30 helps my medical condition (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), which some have found is better on a gluten and dairy free diet. The main symptom is fatigue with less frequent heart palpitations, heart racing, fainting, and nausea.

Looking forward to journeying with you all!

Hi everyone,  I made it through day 1.  

I made a sweet potato/bacon and egg scramble this morning with coffee.  Lunch was a little sad - I had smoked herring on romaine lettuce - the salad dressing with the apple cider vinegar was weird - along with a side of cashews and olives, some raisins, and a little fruit.  Dinner was good - chicken thighs with nom nom paleo magic mushroom powder, mashed potatoes with coconut milk and garlic.   Then I started thinking about that one last paleo-approved 'mexican pot of chocolate' in the fridge and I was THIS close to saying 'I'll start the whole30 tomorrow.'  but then I realized I would want the sugar just as bad if not worse tomorrow.  

So day 1 is safe - but that was a close call - slaying the sugar demon is going to be very difficult.  I had some fruit slices instead.

• Moderators

Hi everyone,  I made it through day 1.  

I made a sweet potato/bacon and egg scramble this morning with coffee.  Lunch was a little sad - I had smoked herring on romaine lettuce - the salad dressing with the apple cider vinegar was weird - along with a side of cashews and olives, some raisins, and a little fruit.  Dinner was good - chicken thighs with nom nom paleo magic mushroom powder, mashed potatoes with coconut milk and garlic.   Then I started thinking about that one last paleo-approved 'mexican pot of chocolate' in the fridge and I was THIS close to saying 'I'll start the whole30 tomorrow.'  but then I realized I would want the sugar just as bad if not worse tomorrow.  

So day 1 is safe - but that was a close call - slaying the sugar demon is going to be very difficult.  I had some fruit slices instead.

Hi, jlbwhite, congrats on getting through your first day!

Just a tip for the rest of your Whole30 -- when you're craving something sweet, instead of having something sweet, have some fat, like olives or avocado. Having something sweet, even fruit, when you're craving something sweet will keep those cravings going.  Try ending meals with a few olives to cleanse your palate and signal the end of your meal instead of something sweet or desserty.

Depending on what you do for exercise and how depleted you are at the close of your session, you need pre and post workout food.  If you are comfortable not having preworkout (protein and fat), that's fine but you really, really should be having post workout food (lean protein and starchy veg).  The post workout food is not a whole meal but a few bites of the protein and some starchy veggie.  This should not replace your regular next meal.  You will recover quicker and may experience less general fatigue if you properly nourish your body post-workout.

Be careful on the nuts, too.  They are a poor fat source when eaten in large quantities and they can be harshly disruptive to your gut as well as being hard to stop for some once they start.  Nuts are recommended to be limited on Whole30 as an occassional fat source.  Think one closed handful every other day or so.  If you are legit hungry between your meals, do two things.  First, eat something.  Preferably protein and fat and veggies but if not all three, protein-fat or protein-veg.  Second, start making your meals larger so that you are getting a solid 4-5 hours in between without the need to snack.

Thank you!! I will start adding some chicken and sweet potatoes in after my training.... and stop going so nuts on nuts!!

HALP! Someone brought doughnuts today, and while I had a good breakfast of ground beef, an egg, and avocado and tomato slices, I can almost smell the sugar from here. It doesn't help that my coworkers keep teasing me and asking if I want a doughnut.  :o I'm not feeling as exhausted and cloudy as I did yesterday, but nonetheless, the temptation is strong.

I can so sympathise, my Mum posted me some fudge on day 2 when she knew i was doing this! AND i had a meeting yesterday and they kept trying to give me muffins!!

Hi All, 

I'm based in Scotland, so my post timings are completely different to you all so I have loads of useful posts to catch up with in the mornings  :D

How is everyone sleeping? I'm having trouble getting a good sleep and feeling super tired with a heavy head the next day!

I have been really enjoying my food on the plan though, I've had:

Breakfasts:

eggs/veg/avocado

frittatas - i had some banana, cashew butter & coconut flakes alongside the one i had today

this - http://fedandfit.com/2014/01/28/the-breakfast-salad-2/(I made my own sausage meat to go in the recipe which was really easy too)

Lunches:

Leftovers from Dinner or a tuna salad with avocado and homemade mayo

Dinners:

Roast chicken thighs and veg

salmon fishcakes, salad and homemade mayo (from the book)

chicken "fajhitas" - i made my own spice mix and had the chicken with homemade salsa, more mayo, lettuce wraps and some paprika potato wedges on the side

Tonight's dinner is Cottage Pie!  :)

Great to hear what everyone else is eating/how you're all doing!

Well done everyone  :D

Kate 

jlbwhite - that magic mushroom powder really IS magic, isn't it?  :)  One of the best reasons to buy that cookbook!

Good morning everyone!  I'm starting Day 5 and feeling pretty decent.  Yesterday I started to come out the other side of the exhaustion phase, and I hope in the next day or so it'll be fully kicked.  Planning ahead for meals and potential pitfalls has been a major help so far -- my mantra has been what a WeightWatchers leader of mine from years ago used to say: "it's better to prepare and prevent, than repair and repent".  I've never forgotten that saying, because it's SO true!

My meals yesterday were pretty simple:

Breakfast - 2 hard-boiled eggs "deviled" with compliant mayo and mustard; black coffee

Lunch - leftover grilled chicken thighs; big salad with homemade tahini vinaigrette dressing

Dinner - grilled shrimp, cauliflower rice, and homemade pineapple/avocado salsa

I've really been struggling with black coffee at breakfast...  it's not that I miss dairy, I just don't enjoy the taste of black coffee.  I made bulletproof coffee this morning and it's helped a bit.  I have a feeling I may be searing for a caffeine alternative for the mornings soon.  

Have a wonderful day, everyone!  :D 

Hi All, 

I'm based in Scotland, so my post timings are completely different to you all so I have loads of useful posts to catch up with in the mornings  :D

How is everyone sleeping? I'm having trouble getting a good sleep and feeling super tired with a heavy head the next day!

I have been really enjoying my food on the plan though, I've had:

Breakfasts:

eggs/veg/avocado

frittatas - i had some banana, cashew butter & coconut flakes alongside the one i had today

this - http://fedandfit.com/2014/01/28/the-breakfast-salad-2/(I made my own sausage meat to go in the recipe which was really easy too)

Lunches:

Leftovers from Dinner or a tuna salad with avocado and homemade mayo

Dinners:

Roast chicken thighs and veg

salmon fishcakes, salad and homemade mayo (from the book)

chicken "fajhitas" - i made my own spice mix and had the chicken with homemade salsa, more mayo, lettuce wraps and some paprika potato wedges on the side

Tonight's dinner is Cottage Pie!  :)

Great to hear what everyone else is eating/how you're all doing!

Well done everyone  :D

Kate 

Welcome, Kate!  :D  My sleep has been off a bit as well...  and last night I actually dreamt about chestnut ravioli, which cracks me up because I remember reading about food dreams when preparing to start W30!  (And I've never eaten chestnut ravioli in my life!  LOL)  Can you share your recipe for cottage pie?  I'd love a good recipe for that from an awesome Scot who knows what she's doing!  Yay!

Welcome, Kate!   :D  My sleep has been off a bit as well...  and last night I actually dreamt about chestnut ravioli, which cracks me up because I remember reading about food dreams when preparing to start W30!  (And I've never eaten chestnut ravioli in my life!  LOL)  Can you share your recipe for cottage pie?  I'd love a good recipe for that from an awesome Scot who knows what she's doing!  Yay!

Hi there  :D

haha your comment about chestnut ravioli, i actually had that in italy on holiday a few years back and it was probably the best thing i've ever eaten! it was from this tiny restaurant in rural Tuscany so i would never be able to recreate/find it again! 

I'm hoping that the sleep will improve, i've just moved into a new flat too so i wonder whether i'm adjusting to the new sounds etc as well. I've been having some weird stomach cramps and other digestive issues that I didn't have before..  sorry for the info overload!

Glad to read you're starting to feel less tired :)

the recipe is from the Whole 30 book, this is it here: http://true-hw.com/blog/2016/02/11/whole-30-shepherds-pie

they call it shepherds pie but i think if you make it with beef its technically cottage?? haha!  and sadly i can't claim i'm a true scot, i'm actually from north east england, i just moved here after falling in love with the place!

Thanks for sharing, Kate! I too am having a really hard time with sleep... I have difficulty *going* to sleep, and then, once asleep, I'm waking up at least 2-3 times during the night to use the bathroom (which is odd, because I was already a big water fan before I started the Whole30, and I'm not trying to drink more water, though I may be doing it subconsciously due to lots of salty food). I also have a pretty persistent low-grade headache, which I guess may be the sugar dragon trying to make itself heard. I also slightly reduced the size of my portions, and I'm finding that I am hungry at appropriate times now.

Also... where is this magic powder? Do I need to talk to some guy on a corner and bring cash?  :P

Starting day 4 with a non-scale victory - I had to hook my bra a little tighter than usual while getting dressed this morning.  :D

Breakfast - ground beef, tomato slices, avocado slices, one fried egg

Lunch - leftover ground beef, homemade tomato sauce, and spaghetti squash

Dinner - leftover brisket, onions, and butternut squash (will probably also sneak in some cabbage slaw)

Hi guys and gals. My name is Kait, I'm new here and doing W30 for the first time. I started on Monday. I haven't really experienced the headaches that a few of you mentioned in the first few days. I've had near perfect days so far with some unintentional slip ups. Hoping to correct as the days go on.

I'm looking to change my eating habits. I tend to be a grazer throughout the day. I also found myself heavily relying on processed foods that often didn't fill me up. I felt like I was eating all day and still starving. Over the course of the W30 I am looking to discover better eating habits and learn when my body is telling me its hungry versus me thinking I am hungry because its a certain time. I am also looking to focus on general health and hopefully weight loss while powering my body with fuel not food. 

Archived