How is it possible to dine out?

Cburnem14

Hey, newbie here. I'm just wondering how is it possible to eat out at resturants, I feel like it's impossible to know what all ingredients are actually included, if you guys could just line me out on the best dos and donts. Thanks!

You have to be willing to be THAT person -the one who asks a gazillion questions and makes a special order. You also have to be prepared to carefully inspect your food and send it back if it's not right. I found it easier to skip the dining out

• Administrators

If you google "Whole30 dining out" you'll get lots of links.  Here are some to get you started:

http://www.lifehealthhq.com/whole30-restaraunts/

http://www.realfoodwithdana.com/whole30-restaurant-survival-guide/

http://whole9life.com/2012/11/dining-out-whole30/

If you do the google search above you'll also get the link to the Whole30 Dining Out Guide which is in PDF form.

Google is your best bet when you have common questions such as these.  Almost every question or concern that you can think of has been asked and answered many times.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found it easiest to pick a restaurant and then research. In the last year or so more and more helpers are posting this stuff online. Case in point, last week my co-workers were running to get take-out from Buffalo Wild Wings. A quick search indicated their plain traditional wings, without any sauce or seasonings, are fine because they are simply fried, unbreaded, in beef tallow. With a sprinkle of my own salt they were delicious.

Many restaurants have something you can manage this way. If you only eat out occasionally, it is a fun challenge to simply go with the most compliant thing you can find on the menu, realizing you may be inadvertently off-roading; restaurant beef pot roast likely has a little dextrose in the seasoning and some cornstarch or flour in the gravy. But it's a better choice than the fettucine Alfredo. I do carry my own olive oil vinaigrette for salads.

You have to be willing to be THAT person -the one who asks a gazillion questions and makes a special order. You also have to be prepared to carefully inspect your food and send it back if it's not right. I found it easier to skip the dining out

I was way too busy with work and exercise during my Whole30 to even think about dining out and couldn't see any advantage to trying to do so. The closest I came was buying a Whole Foods rotisserie chicken (warning: only the plain version is compliant and even then, you must read the label EVERY time) on Tuesdays when it was $2 off.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 3 I had a business lunch out. I picked the place and knew that in a pinch I could have a salad and grilled chicken at the restaurant. As it ended up I ordered the green salad with grilled shrimp and even asked about their homemade balsamic vinaigrette and it was compliant - a win - win all around.

• 4 weeks later...

I ask so many questions that people begin to look at me weird.

Since I'm still test driving this program, I have learned so very much! The W30 education has been a real eye opener for me. I've been unofficially on this program since 08.18.16. Since we own a small business, we tend to eat out quite a bit. Here are my suggestions based on experience:

1. Based on the restaurants you frequent, ask them for a to go menu. Study it in-depth. Mark those offerings that are compliant. Then with the non compliant ones, figure out if any modifications would make them compliant and note what they are. Keep a copy at home and one in your car.

2. Dinner - Mexican food: pass on the chips.

a. Taco salad - eliminate the tortilla bowl, any beans, rice, cheese and sour cream. Ask if the guac has any dairy in it.

b. Fajitas - ask if there's any sugar in the seasoning. Order meat with veggies but no tortillas.

c. Carne asada - order without the rice, beans.

d. Pollo a la parilla

e. Steak, potatoes or salad (no cheese or croutons or candied nuts or fruit). No bread or cheese. Double up on veggies and get a compliant salad.

3. Breakfast:

a. Breakfast skillet - eggs, potatoes, meat: if meat is seasoned, ask if there's sugar in it and be specific (brown sugar, white sugar, molasses, dextrose, etc) and are the patties dredged in flour? No toast.

b. Corned beef hash and eggs (corn here refers to the size of the grains of salt when the beef was corned. No toast.

c. Eggs and meat.

d. Eggs and potatoes.

e. Bowl of fruit

4. Lunch:

a. Naked burger with tomato and side of fruit.

b. Naked burger sliced and served on a salad with a fried egg.

c. Chef salad, no cheese with oil and vinegar dressing.

d. Salad bar - steer clear of cheese, croutons, peas, kidney beans. Enjoy fresh fruit, hardboiled eggs, grilled chicken, fresh spinach, mixed greens, broccoli, cauliflower. Stay away from cream dressings. Oil and vinegar are usually a safe bet.

Order water with fresh lemon, lime or both.

Hope that helps.

Roberta

Archived