Starting Whole30 on July 18

jlowe15

This is HARD. :angry: Not seeing or feeling any changes. And all the cooking and cleaning leaves me with no energy to try new and exciting recipes, so things are getting very boring and tedious. My husband is still on it, without cheating, but he is very much focused on everything he wants to eat again as soon as this is over. I'm hoping at least he starts seeing some non-scale victories that make it all worth it for him. But I'm afraid of reaching Day 31 with zero changes. I'm determined to get there either way, though!

P.S. There has been one unexpected bonus: My mother seems genuinely interested in it! She's discussed it at length with me the couple times I've seen her over the past few weeks. At first, I thought she was just making cooking small talk, but she was often connecting it with her own food choices ("Oh, I love eating XYZ! I could do that") and appreciates the fact that it's protein/fat focused rather than veggie or general deprivation. She cooks some fantastic unhealthy comfort food and is the source of my family's general aversion to vegetables, so a Whole30 would be very difficult for her, but that means she would also see the most benefits. So I'm gonna try to go cook some compliant stuff at my parents' house soon (if only to have some help with the cooking and cleanup, haha) and maybe join them on their own Whole30 in the future!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah. You're feeling the growing pains of expanding your palate. Don't beat yourself up. It's one day at a time. Try one new recipe or sauce a week. Even if it's throwing chicken in the crockpot, pouring salsa over it and walking away. The trick is to have enough things around and sauces you can throw on it so it doesn't become boring. You got this. Really you do.

It's ok to sleep more. You're doing a reset. How long does a computer take to reboot? Your body is easy more powerful than that machine so it'll take time.

My first 30 felt rough and I didn't nearly see as many benefits as others in my group. It took awhile for me to see it. The second time it happened faster. It all depends on how you were eating before and for how long. I confess last year, I was a terrible eater before whole30. It gets better. You'll find your groove in no time.

Oh dear  :mellow: are you drinking plenty of water?

If you're feeling a bit blue, high carb root veg are recommended.

I am drinking a lot more water than usual, but then I go to the bathroom all the time, so it just seems to be over-hydration, which isn't doing my body any favors, either. And I do have potatoes with at least two meals a day, to preempt any female mood weirdness, so I'm glad I'm not worse off without them.

The trick is to have enough things around and sauces you can throw on it so it doesn't become boring.

It's ok to sleep more.

It all depends on how you were eating before and for how long.

I did buy plenty of new sauces and other canned stuff at the beginning that I've been digging into, so that does help. It's encouraging to hear that I can allow myself to sleep more, though! I'll try not to accuse myself of being lazy so often. :) I actually ate decently well before my Whole30 (probably 75% if a Whole30 is 100%), for several years, which is why I'm tempted to think that it's pointless for me and a waste of time/money/energy. But if I quit, my husband quits and goes back to mindless unhealthy eating habits, so I'm gonna stick it out if only for his sake. Still, I don't want to have to do a Whole60 to feel benefits! <_< We shall see.

(Maybe I'm not getting enough fat! I cook everything in ghee and eat it all with mayo, but I'll try finishing meals off with a few drizzles of olive oil and add in 1/2 an avocado to every meal. Any tips on developing a taste for olives?)

(Maybe I'm not getting enough fat! I cook everything in ghee and eat it all with mayo, but I'll try finishing meals off with a few drizzles of olive oil and add in 1/2 an avocado to every meal. Any tips on developing a taste for olives?)

Getting enough fat in is still a struggle for me just because there are limited options, but it definitely could be contributing to your low energy and low moods. Yes, adding some olive oil and avocado to your meals should help! I know I rely on avocados a lot, but I had a deficit last week because the ones they sell in my local market were almost $5 each!! So I waited till we went to town to the real store and all they had were super hard, not ready to eat avocados :( I finally got to eat some last night with my dinner salad and I honestly felt better - and also fuller! Like you, I don't love olives. A few black ones I can do in salad but I don't care for the other kind. I'm sure trying them repeatedly would help us both develop a taste for them.

I also cook with lard. Yep, just like grandma used to do - last night I quartered brussels sprouts, chopped some onions and some bacon up and drizzled it with a generous amount of pork lard and wrapped it all in foil and tossed it on the grill and let it simmer there for about 30ish minutes while I was doing other stuff. When I opened the package, it was all cooked and the sprouts were a little crispy, just like I love them. The bonus was the lard! :)

Hang in there - remember, we're not even halfway there, yet. Your changes may not be obvious yet, but they're happening inside your body all the same. Patience, young grasshopper, patience. And remember what Melissa Hartwig says, fighting cancer is hard; following W30 is not. It's different and it's uncomfortable, but we've done harder things. You and hubs are doing great! Keep it up!

Betsie

So day 13 today. Yay. Haven't posted in a few days or read up on any posts, I've been working a few double shifts but now it's over for awhile. I'm actually glad I was so busy because it just helped me power through these past few days. No time to get bored with food or even think about it really.

Basically eggs, spinach mushrooms, onions with clarified butter every morning

I did make some really delicious shepherds pie I ate for 2 lunches

I've been using my George foreman to just grill up chicken breast very few days and either eat them with Brussels sprouts, and a sweet potato or mix them in a salad. All in all really plain but great for my schedule.

I am having a problem with my husband now that we're more into the middle of the program. Seems like he just doesn't even acknowledge what I'm doing and how hard it is to change eating habits. I've explained several times I'm eating clean , no sugar, rice, dairy etc and then 20 minutes later he hands me the bag of Chex mix and ask if I want some. Same day earlier ask if I want beer to go out on the boat. Really???? Argggggg

Well I didn't cave and I took my turkey avacado lettuce tomato celery grapes and water out on the boat and did just fine!!!

Here's to a great next week!!!

Day 14 - I can't believe we are almost to the half way mark! I was even a day behind in keeping track of my whole30 and told a friend I was on day 12 yesterday when I was actually on day 13. Guess it's becoming less of a big deal as I get used to it!

Went to see ghostbusters last night and broke down and ate a lara bar towards the end of the film, even though my intention was to not snack in the movie. Loved the movie btw!

M biggest kitchen fail so far has been a lemongrass chicken recipe from nom nom paleo, which tasted delicious the first day, but I made a bunch in the slow cooker and the marinade has fish sauce in it and now that flavor is concentrated in the leftovers and I can't even touch it - its just too strong :(

Otherwise, the recipes I've been making have been coming out great. SO MUCH WORK IN THE KITCHEN though. OMG.

I'm studying for the GRE on August 11th so I am going to need to cut back on all the cooking and get more streamlined. Any tips for cutting down on cooking time? Help me out!

Happy Sunday! Looks like everyone had a good weekend and is getting some good recipes going. I did a lot of prep yesterday and am looking forward to a good week but I will be starting over, all because of a ham and cheese omelet. You can read the gory details here:

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/37936-caseys-really-doing-it/#entry403224

I was really bummed and mad at myself but I've decided to make the most of it. I don't feel like it's going to derail me all that badly physically. I was starting to feel pretty good and I think/hope I'll bounce back and stay pretty on par with this group. It's mostly the principle of being honest with myself and the psychology of following the rules. I just get some extra practice time.

Hi All,

I haven't posted since the first day but I've been reading all the emails - and its quite encouraging, some have made me laugh out loud - the one about no JOY on day 5 or 6! And also motivating to stay on the plan - even when it turns out that all I want is to drink 3 lattes in a row.

Iinstead of craving sugar like crazy, all I want is a decent cup of coffee with milk.  I've tried drinking it black for a few days - ugh, and tried with almond milk, ugh - so that's been my main bug, and the thing that tempts me the most is to just have a wee bit of milk in my coffee.  but so far, I'm on day 12 and still on track :) 

It's a bit of a struggle though bc i'm still traveling and eating out of restaurants, so sometimes I have to go to a few different places before I can find something I can eat, and I can't wait till I get back to my own kitchen and have more control and also more delicious meals.   My saving grace sometimes has just been apples, bananas and macadamia nut butter - I recently discovered Macadamia nut butter and love it, guess I have no problems getting enough fat in my diet bc this sure packs a punch! I don't think I'm getting enough fiber, although I'm eating lots of spinach - I'm trying to find more sweet potatoes when I'm out, but its not that plentiful where I am atm. 

My husband is supportive - although sometimes he forgets and offers me a glass of wine or suggest something that I can't eat (but want to).  I've been to a few events and parties, which was difficult to explain why I wasn't eating the appetizers or drinking, but I just told them I'm trying to be a bit healthier this month and then just changed the topic.  I was a bit lethargic around day 6-7, but now feel pretty normal, I never got the headaches etc that I was expecting.  I can already feel that my stomach flatter then before and know that I am making healthier decisions with each meal, but there's a lot of things I miss eating - especially diary and rice.   One thing I noticed is that I'm tired earlier, so I'm sleeping earlier then before, which is probably a good thing.

Thanks everyone for continuing to post, esp as maybe some others are also reading but not posting as often.  I especially appreciate Betsie's updates and wish she'd do more  ;)  can't wait to get cooking on some of those recipes and when I need extra encouragement, I try to find a podcast with Melissa talking about whole30 and then I get re-motivated!

*Casey, I'm sorry to hear about the cheese omelete, that must've been frustrating.  I read your post re. the decision to not further upset your family, I guess its a balance and it's what makes you most comfortable, in the end its not so much about only this 30 days, but how mindfully we'll (hopefully) continue to choose healthier ways of eating and being even, so congrats on getting this far, and congrats for not letting this be more than a little bump on the road! :)

Happy Sunday! Looks like everyone had a good weekend and is getting some good recipes going. I did a lot of prep yesterday and am looking forward to a good week but I will be starting over, all because of a ham and cheese omelet. You can read the gory details here:

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/37936-caseys-really-doing-it/#entry403224

I was really bummed and mad at myself but I've decided to make the most of it. I don't feel like it's going to derail me all that badly physically. I was starting to feel pretty good and I think/hope I'll bounce back and stay pretty on par with this group. It's mostly the principle of being honest with myself and the psychology of following the rules. I just get some extra practice time.

I love your positive outlook. You will bounce back, I'm certain of it. Tomorrow should be my day 30 but I veered off track two weeks in and had to start over, so I really know how you're feeling right now. I'm actually glad now that I still have two weeks to go because I'm only just starting to feel benefits. 

I love your positive outlook. You will bounce back, I'm certain of it. Tomorrow should be my day 30 but I veered off track two weeks in and had to start over, so I really know how you're feeling right now. I'm actually glad now that I still have two weeks to go because I'm only just starting to feel benefits. 

Thank you!! I'm glad to know someone else has found themselves in the same boat but still going strong.  I'm not generally much of a "joiner"  but the encouragement I find in these forums has really helped.  Good luck to you in finishing the 30 days this time :) .   I have bounced back pretty well and feel good!

Hello!

Day 17! I can't believe I haven't had candy or wine for 17 days.

IronGirlTrixie, I'm with you on the craving! I had my worst/strongest craving yesterday. It was after a day of getting a ton accomplished. I was out on the patio, with the warm breeze and the sun going down and it felt so TIME to open a bottle of wine. I knew I wouldn't, but I sat for a solid hour trying to reason myself into it.

Still no Tiger Blood. Do I feel better? Probably. Anyone else experiencing a marked increase in energy?

I'm worried that I will return promptly to my old ways on Day 31. Because I still WANT to. I hope that changes during the second half of this process.

Anyway! How are you all doing at this point?

LightenupFrancis - I have had more energy pretty much from day one of the whole30. It hasn't been easy per se, but its been a heck of a lot easier than I expected it to be, mostly because I:

- haven't experienced seasonal allergies or even forest fire smoke allergies (live near big sur) at all!

- clothes are looser

- a SIGNIFICANT amount of more energy

- I am sleeping 1-2 hours per night less than I used to (used to sleep 9 hours)

The dr. weighed me today - oops! wasn't foreseeing being MADE to stand on a scale during my whole 30. I guess could have looked away but of course I didn't. 

I'm very curious to see how dairy, wheat, etc affect me after 30 days is up. I didn't expect to have so much more energy with this diet. 

I made the thai coconut soup tonight and it is supremely delicious! Highly recommended. 

So my man let slip his first positive comment last night! All I've heard from him for the past 18 days are complaints, but when he was talking to a friend about it yesterday, he admitted he's losing weight! He said his clothes fit differently, especially his belt. Not that that makes it worth it for him; he's still dying to get back to his Standard American Diet. But I felt fantastic that one of us is seeing a positive change. I'm still feeling bloaty and tired, even though I've added more fat to each meal this week. I just want my milky, sweet coffee back. :( But it feels good to be past halfway!

It's hard to believe it but we're more than half way through! Generally I'm feeling pretty good. I went and bought a new pair of work pants today because the pair I was wearing seemed a bit saggy...not a bad problem at all! I'm still trying to figure out a couple things with digestion, there were two days where my stomach felt a bit off, but I'm feeling good again and back on track. I made a coconut curry and I thought it might have been from the spice, as I haven't eaten much spice in awhile (due to acid reflux). Generally I've been feeling a lot better on Whole30 though, not perfect, but better for sure. My partner has stuck through it with me and he's actually enjoying the benefits too. No Tiger Blood...yet, but it may come soon. Congrats to everyone who is working hard to make changes. We can do it!

Wow has this process been an eye opener. I can't believe I haven't had any sugar in the past 18 days.

You know I really thought this would be so expensive to eat this way with all the organic meats fruits and veggies but I'm so shocked that it's not. I'm thinking because I would buy so much other junk food and that is far more pricy. Who would of thunk.

Anyways doing pretty good, not a ton more energy but some extra. Sleeping more sound but still a little tired when I do get up and kinda hit a wall about 3:00-4:00 and struggle a little till dinner.

Tonight I made the chicken chowder. Om my gosh it was delicious. My husband is still eatin cookies and ice cream but has also enjoyed all my new dishes I've been making.

I'm g lad to hear we still have most of the people on board that's so awesome. Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Hi everyone!  What a week... I ended up going to MI last weekend Sat/Sun after having been invited to play in a volleyball tournament that I've been wanting to be invited to for TEN years, literally.  Was so much fun, played 10 games over an 8 hour period on Sunday, exhausting but a total blast (and we did pretty well too!)  I was very proud of myself that I prepped a TON of food/snacks/etc and was perfect on the food front all weekend.  Buuut... this is an incredibly social thing of hundreds of people and I had some drinks.  So - back to Day 1, but I'm actually viewing it as a Whole 45 for me from my original start date as I'm really proud of myself that the food thing will have been "unbroken" since Jul 18.  And having read Melissa's post about - in general (not on the Whole30 of course) if you're going to have some drinks, then drink what you want and make sure the consequences are worth it for the occasion - I really am trying to stay positive on this b/c I had the BEST time on what was, for me, a once-in-a-decade experience.  Also ,not having food prepped AT ALL on Sunday, I still made it through this week just keeping it simple with what I had on hand (chicken/hamburger/eggs/veggies/fruit - nothing fancy at all.)   In spite of my lapse, still feeling pretty great overall, glad my stomach didn't automatically explode with the early re-introduction!  Keep it up everyone - great to hear all your success stories and ups/downs/ups :)

Hi everyone! I started a longish post on Monday, then slipped on my keyboard and accidentally deleted it and haven't had time to get back to it since! But I read every post! So glad to see so many folks still here - even if restarts have been required - as we move into the third weekend! High-five!

My big news is around my husband, who survived his semi-Whole 7 and did have some cheats Sunday for a reward, but is otherwise doing his best to stick to the plan going forward. The doc gave him a big wake up call (extreme high blood pressure, gout, kidney issues and on the way to diabetes) so he knows he has to make a change permanently. Some days he's fine but other days he's pretty grouchy - I get tired of having to be the one who says whether he can or cannot have something so I'm trying to teach him to read his own labels and just know what is ok and what is not. He hates taking a bunch of prescriptions so I keep telling him that over time, if he cleans up his health he can probably get rid of most - I got to give up high blood pressure meds, myself. I'm trying to be patient with him but I know I forget how hard it was in the beginning for me - reading your posts here helps remind me to be gentle and remember it's a learning curve and there's grief in giving up certain foods so it's a process to get over it.

I went to book club Sunday with my 5 favorite friends. Our tradition is to drink a lot of wine and we each bring a dish to pass so we have a fine feast while gossiping and talking about the book. While the food is generally on the healthier side, there was always a decadent dessert and cheese/dairy involved in years past. When I first started on Paleo they were a little confused about why I couldn't eat everything anymore - and maybe a little offended when I didn't, but now that everyone knows why I eat the way I do, and a couple have joined me, they make an effort to bring compliant food. Sunday I was able to eat every single thing! All fresh produce with beautiful salads, shrimp and fruit kababs for dessert! They had champagne and I enjoyed my kombucha and really didn't mind. So, to those struggling with friends and family, just know that it's a process on that end, too - but I've been able to teach so many people because they do notice something is different and then they want to know what I do. It works out eventually.

TGIF - Stay the course and keep at it! I'm going to write a separate post to comment on some of the posts above. :D

Betsie

Archived