Starting Whole30 on July 18

jlowe15

I wanted to comment on a few of your posts, but didn't want my post above to get too long.

CaseyP - I read your story about the egg and cheese incident. It is hard to cope when you're in those situations and you're worried about others' feelings. It takes practice, but you will learn that it's ok to advocate for yourself -and you can do it in a loving way that people can understand and respect. Usually telling people that x food makes you feel nauseous is a simple way to get them to understand. Nobody wants you to feel sick. 

MonicaJ - WOO HOO on the Hubs actually admitting something was working. Men are just...harder to get to admit the change works, but they really do get it deep down, I believe. Maybe he'll revert back after 30 days, or maybe not, but after living with mine and his SAD for 3 years I know you can live harmoniously on different plans. I cooked Paleo dinners and he ate them - and had bread and dessert. The rest of his meals were up to him. I do shopping, so I only bought him minimal junk - he had to get it on his own if he wanted it. I used to struggle with having it in the house, so I used to make him keep it in the garage or the bread box so I didn't have to see it. Out of sight, out of mind, most of the time. Anyway, at the end, you each get to decide what's best for each of you and do your own thing. Regarding your bloating - I wonder if some other food is causing that at this point. You might want to try a little more elimination to see if you can figure that out: common culprits are: eggs, coconut, nuts, nightshades - or it could be a particular type of veg (mushrooms don't like me). If you're having a lot of any of those, maybe cut out for a few days and see if that makes  a difference.

Kellyclare - congratulations on the big volleyball tourney! My daughter is a vball freak and coach, so I know how thrilling that was! Impressive that you managed to keep your food clean during that big event!  :D  That's pretty tough, I'm sure - and I think your attitude on the drinks is right on target and I love that you're plunging ahead and not letting it derail you! And you're right, you can keep things simple and not have to do a ton of prep to eat clean. KISS rule: Keep It Simple, Silly! A little grilled meat/fish + sauteed veg does not take more than 20 minutes to prep and cook. We can do this!

KikiC - WOW traveling and doing W30 successfully! That's a challenge!! For your coffee issue, have you tried coconut milk? I didn't like the almond milk either, so I do coconut milk + a little sprinkle of cinnamon and ginger. I get the canned coconut milk that doesn't have extra junk in it - usually found in the Asian section of the market.

Tip: if you're getting bored with food and want to try new recipes, Pinterest is your friend! You can search for Whole 10 recipes and there's thousands! I pin a ton of Paleo recipes, so you're welcome to follow me: https://www.pinterest.com/betsie_n/

I don't know if I could have survived switching to this lifestyle without Pinterest :)

My favorite meal this week has been putting some leftover spicy grilled chicken on my salad greens from the garden, with some avocado and sliced peaches. I drizzled with olive oil and red wine vinegar. So simple and sooo tasty with the sweet and spicy! :P

Cheers! Betsie

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall, I'm feeling better. The clothes are looser, I'm sleeping better. I think I'm slowly heading to Tiger blood. I'm not worried though. I've had it before. It'll come again!

Wondering if you could help...I am so fatigued! I did drink quite a bit of black and green tea and I haven't had any for 2 days could that be it? I have lost weight and I eat liver, and lots of other yummy stuff from the Well Fed cookbook and Whole 30, however I think I am not getting enough carbs, maybe? I feel discouraged but I am not throwing in the towel. 

Today and yesterday were hard! I realized I had been drinking a lot of black and green tea to get through the bad fatigue days. So I stopped that 2 days ago and now I am SO TIRED!!! I try to eat more...my husband says I eat like a field hand but although I exercise I know I am not burning off all those calories. For example, this morning I ate A piece of liver, onions and mushrooms sauteed in ghee with roasted butternut squash and brussel sprouts. I also had a little Trader Joe's unsweetened applesauce. By 11:00 I was feeling soooooo tired so I ate a few cashews and a banana. and I felt better. White potatoes weigh me down. What other carbs can I eat to manage this fatigue? Or is this just caffeine withdrawal I do have a slight headache...but it's also 100 degree where I live. 

Today and yesterday were hard! I realized I had been drinking a lot of black and green tea to get through the bad fatigue days. So I stopped that 2 days ago and now I am SO TIRED!!! I try to eat more...my husband says I eat like a field hand but although I exercise I know I am not burning off all those calories. For example, this morning I ate A piece of liver, onions and mushrooms sauteed in ghee with roasted butternut squash and brussel sprouts. I also had a little Trader Joe's unsweetened applesauce. By 11:00 I was feeling soooooo tired so I ate a few cashews and a banana. and I felt better. White potatoes weigh me down. What other carbs can I eat to manage this fatigue? Or is this just caffeine withdrawal I do have a slight headache...but it's also 100 degree where I live. 

I'm guessing that the caffeine withdrawal is your main issue since you went cold turkey. Be sure to be drinking plenty of water to deal with it and the heat. I think it gets better after about 3-4 days, so hang in there. Could also be carbs are lower than usual so you might try adding more squash and sweet potatoes as those are higher in carbs. I think they don't recommend the banana with nuts because it causes spikes in blood sugars due to the sugar in the fruit, then crashing. Try to get protein, fat and carbs with every meal and snack. Watch fruit due to the sugar highs, then lows.

Betsie

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I posted, but I've been reading all of your posts via email. I'm on Day 19!! I seriously cannot believe I'm doing this. It hasn't been perfect - I'm still struggling with timing my meals. I haven't really been getting my post and pre workout meals in, because I can't figure out how to fit them all in and plan them around my regular meals and exercise. I still haven't had any real cravings, although I really miss my coffee with cream and sugar. I'm starting to get anxious for the end, just because I want to find out what happens when I add back those food groups!

I'm still struggling with being tired during the day, but I'm pretty sure it's related to my thyroid. I'm not feeling bad, but I wouldn't say I have "Tiger's Blood" yet. My husband says he sees a difference and that I look thinner, but I'm not sure. I haven't seen any noticeable changes in how my clothes fit yet and I don't think I look any different! 

Great to see so many are still on track with just over one week to go!! We're almost on the home straight. I'm not feeling as energetic as I was at this point on my first W30 but hoping this will improve in the final week.

I've taken inspiration from others on this thread when planning my meals for next week and I'm making Chicken Chowder (thanks Vickilee51) and Shepherd's Pie, can remember who recommended this.

If anyone else is looking for ideas, I can recommend the Bora Bora Fireballs and the Egg Foo Yong from Well Fed 1. The secret sauce is delicious.

Here's to a successful final full week :)

I just wanted to share a special weekend treat I've been making for my son and I - plantains pan fried in ghee, served with eggs and whatever else you want. The plantains satisfy the desire for something pancakey on a weekend morning. 

I can't find plantains here in the UK but I've made Zucchini fritters a couple of times on the weekend, also a bit pancakey and a treat,

Regarding your bloating - I wonder if some other food is causing that at this point. You might want to try a little more elimination to see if you can figure that out: common culprits are: eggs, coconut, nuts, nightshades - or it could be a particular type of veg (mushrooms don't like me). If you're having a lot of any of those, maybe cut out for a few days and see if that makes  a difference.

Haha! Yep, I eat eggs, coconut, tomatoes, and potatoes every day...looks like burgers for breakfast from now on! I'll wait and see if things improve, then do some mid-Whole30 reintroduction testing to see what's giving me issues. It would really stink to have to give up eggs; No more cheap protein! Cutting out mayo and coconut milk makes it tough to reach my fat quota, but I picked up some garlic-stuffed green olives from the store the other day. I'm trying to have one with every meal until I acquire a taste for them. They aren't bad until I go to swallow them; they're so bitter on the back of my tongue. But I've acquired tastes before, so I'm optimistic.

Feels like Day 20 kind of snuck up on me, and now it's practically Day 21. It's super encouraging to only have 9 days left. But I am worried about reintro testing with my husband, because I highly doubt he'll be willing to do it properly. I think he's already accepted that the bad stuff will make him feel worse, but also that it's worth it for him to eat it. His coworkers want to take him out that Friday to celebrate, 3 days after our Day 30, so there wouldn't be time to do even one proper reintro before that. But I'm certainly planning to reintro, probably starting that Friday night rather than Wednesday, because starting it Wednesday would mean that I'd have to be eating Whole30 on Friday. So that means a Whole32 for me, I guess! I talked to him some more about his seeing positives from the experience, and he said that he'd like to do a Whole30 twice a year going forward, which is very cool. And he still keeps saying that he wants to eat this way during the week and only really make use of his freedom on the weekends, but that's still a lot of cooking/cleaning/effort for me long-term. I did get him to help scrub potatoes the other day! B)

I don't have any of the books yet (all of my money has been going toward food, haha), but I'm planning to order It Starts With Food and The Whole30 as a sort of reward.

Oh, and I didn't know I should be eating breakfast within 1 hour of waking up to help re-balance my hormones, so I just started doing that, too. Crossing my fingers that I'll finally see some improvements in a few days!

How was everyone's weekend? Mine went well. Lots of food planning, shopping etc., but also had a relaxing day at the beach. Tonight we made a delicious roast with veggies which should last for a few days, and a turkey sweet potato hash for tomorrow morning.

If you're looking for a new recipe, I really enjoyed making these yummy chicken drumsticks this weekend. I didn't use as much spice as they called for, but I did include the cinnamon and they were delicious. Just perfect for an afternoon picnic. http://everclevermom.com/2014/05/easy-weeknight-paleo-chicken-best-drumstick-recipe-ever/

Wishing everyone a wonderful week ahead!

I'm massively craving comfort foods and feel about ready to go on an emotional eating binge and not care one bit about quitting the whole thing.  Thankfully im able to get online right now. So I.m reaching out instead of going crazy.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, CaseyP said:

I'm massively craving comfort foods and feel about ready to go on an emotional eating binge and not care one bit about quitting the whole thing.  Thankfully im able to get online right now. So I.m reaching out instead of going crazy.

Hey, Casey, don't quit now!

Make sure you've been eating enough at meals and including fat in addition to what you cook in. It really does help with cravings. And if you're female, remember that at certain points in your cycle, it's normal to be hungrier than usual. This is typically in the week leading up to your period and first few days of it. Eat more, it's okay. have some extra starchy vegetables, and more food in general if you need to.

Right now, if you feel you really have to eat something, go eat a handful of olives, or some avocado, or even just a spoonful of coconut oil, and see if that doesn't help some.

If it's really an emotional thing, it can be hard, but you sometimes just have to sit with upsetting emotions and let them run their course.

Yay!!!! Weekend went ok and I'm glad it's over. Had my granddaughters 1st birthday party and didn't get off plan. Then today we went to the water park with all 4 kids and 4 grandkids. Had a great breakfast before and packed a lunch with chicken breasts salad and avocados. Couldn't bring it in the park, so had to keep occupied while everyone had "park food" including ice cream . I was so happy I stuck to it. Even had my husband finally  board. So with just one more weekend left, I'm really hoping it all goes well. My 10 year wedding anniversary is Saturday but I'm planning on doing a seafood, steak night. What better way to celebrate with a great steak, grilled shrimp and some awesome stemmed veggies!!!!

Have a great week everyone

12 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Hey, Casey, don't quit now!

Make sure you've been eating enough at meals and including fat in addition to what you cook in. It really does help with cravings. And if you're female, remember that at certain points in your cycle, it's normal to be hungrier than usual. This is typically in the week leading up to your period and first few days of it. Eat more, it's okay. have some extra starchy vegetables, and more food in general if you need to.

Right now, if you feel you really have to eat something, go eat a handful of olives, or some avocado, or even just a spoonful of coconut oil, and see if that doesn't help some.

If it's really an emotional thing, it can be hard, but you sometimes just have to sit with upsetting emotions and let them run their course.

Thank you for your encouragement. I did make it through. It was just emotions that I'm learning to have to deal with without sugar etc.

On Friday, August 05, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Chante710 said:

Wondering if you could help...I am so fatigued! I did drink quite a bit of black and green tea and I haven't had any for 2 days could that be it? I have lost weight and I eat liver, and lots of other yummy stuff from the Well Fed cookbook and Whole 30, however I think I am not getting enough carbs, maybe? I feel discouraged but I am not throwing in the towel. 

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. It's been a little nutty over here. How are you doing? I think the tea could be kicking your butt going cold turkey. If I skip my one cup of tea, I feel it. So if you were having that much more and then stopped, you'd feel it. It usually passes for me in a day or two. 

58 minutes ago, CaseyP said:

Thank you for your encouragement. I did make it through. It was just emotions that I'm learning to have to deal with without sugar etc.

CaseyP - So glad you were able to get through the moment! You're a normal human who has learned to deal with stress by eating sweet treats! Most of us do use food in the same way. I still have those issues even after several years of improved diet - I just don't keep the bad food around, so I have to eat something relatively healthy to provide that comfort. I know I still have work to do in this area, too. It takes time and it's a process that won't be over after 30 days - BUT you got through that moment last night, so you'll get through more. Keep on keepin on!! :)

Betsie

4 hours ago, CaseyP said:

Hi CaseyP, Good on you for making it through. Life does throw up tricky moments, no doubt about it. Reminds me of the Kelly Clarkson song " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, Stand a little taller"

You've just grown a little stronger:wub:

21 hours ago, HeatherYYZ said:

How was everyone's weekend? Mine went well. Lots of food planning, shopping etc., but also had a relaxing day at the beach. Tonight we made a delicious roast with veggies which should last for a few days, and a turkey sweet potato hash for tomorrow morning.

If you're looking for a new recipe, I really enjoyed making these yummy chicken drumsticks this weekend. I didn't use as much spice as they called for, but I did include the cinnamon and they were delicious. Just perfect for an afternoon picnic. http://everclevermom.com/2014/05/easy-weeknight-paleo-chicken-best-drumstick-recipe-ever/

Wishing everyone a wonderful week ahead!

thanks for the recipe, one I'll definitely try. If you havn't tried the Kickass ketchup from Well Fed, it also has cinnamon in, is delicious and very easy to make.

4 hours ago, jenmidge said:

thanks for the recipe, one I'll definitely try. If you havn't tried the Kickass ketchup from Well Fed, it also has cinnamon in, is delicious and very easy to make.

You're welcome, and thanks for your suggestion too! I haven't tried making any sauces yet, but that sounds delicious, so will give it a go.

FINALLY, a couple days ago, so about Day 21, my face started to look thinner, which is very exciting for me. The bloating has also improved (thanks, Betsie!), so I added coconut milk back in today (some minor discomfort, actually, so I may just finish the open can in the fridge and then leave it out of my diet) and probably trying tomatoes tomorrow if I feel up to it. This week is the week of the month when a girl has to eat more, so I need to go to the store and stock up on some non-potato starchy veg, since white potatoes are out for the moment. I also just recently read somewhere that meat in general can be detrimental if you're eating way more than you typically ate before, so you should supplement with probiotics until your body catches up with your increased meat intake. So I've been taking some "shots" of Bubbies sauerkraut juice and plan to look for kombucha at the store. I'm still eating an olive at every meal to acquire the taste, and they are getting slightly less gross, but I can't have more than one at a time yet.

I think my missing link for "tiger blood" energy may be exercise, not food. I don't really work out at all, because I'm too paranoid to go out and walk/run by myself, and our apartment floors creak like crazy so I feel bad jumping around or jogging in here. Plus, I have zero motivation or energy after all the shopping and cooking and cleaning. But I'll probably stay mostly compliant after Day 30, and then when my husband is back to being responsible for more of his own food, I can find some time and energy to borrow his Planet Fitness card and start walking 30+ minutes a day like I want to. And maybe then I'll see the energy and mood improvements I've been waiting for!

Almost Day 24, guys! :)

I spoke too soon; my face was chubby again today. :angry: So coconut's back out, and the eggs/nuts/nightshades are staying out, at least until after a picnic on Friday (Whole30 broccoli slaw is in the fridge!). And the conventional grocery store only had one sub-par kombucha option, so I'll have to check the health food store tomorrow. Afternoon energy slumps are still hitting hard... At least we have less than a week to go!

I went to a huge shopping mall tonight, straight after work. It was a last minute decision as I was tasked with buying a gift for a colleague who is leaving tomorrow. I didn't have any food with me and was hungry but was surrounded by food outlets which were off limits for me. I felt excluded from what the hundreds of other shoppers were enjoying. Weird feeling, a bit like being in a crowd of people who all speak a different language to me. Before I left I found a store selling everyday groceries and bought a pack of compliant sliced ham which I had with water. Not the most exciting meal. Looking forward to finishing soon, more than ever.

Hi everyone! Heading into our final weekend! I'm wondering how many folks are still onboard. Say "aye" if you're still with us.

I admit to having a few moments of thinking, 'ah, that's good enough, I'll just have those tortilla chips" but they were short moments and they passed. I think boredom is a common tendency at this stage - I've done great; now I'm done enough. Don't let it happen to you - we're sooo close! :D

The hubs is doing well with his improved eating habits. He's not totally W30 with me, but has cut waayyyy back on the non-compliant foods and I know he feels better. No big heartburn issues lately, either.

We're going to a big social event tomorrow night - an annual end of summer fish fry where there will be tons of SAD food and booze. We really want to go because it's the first time we've been invited and we know it will be a good time, but it will definitely be challenging not to imbibe in the goodies. I am going to take a big pesto shrimp and greens salad so I'll have something to eat if the fish is all out of the question. I'll also take some kombucha and keep it in a coozie which helps avoid questions about not drinking. I'm not sure if the hubs plans to drink, but I am sure he'll go with the fried fish and other goodies. We all have to make our own choices.

As we near the end, I thought I'd ask the group if they're noticing non-scale changes yet. How's your skin and hair? Allergies? Sinus/nasal congestion? Mood? Focus? Blood pressure? General digestion? Confidence? Aches and pains?

Honestly, I don't think I've ever gotten to "tiger blood" but I have had so many health and well-being improvements during the past three years. Next week we'll all step on the scale and see if our W30 resulted in weight changes. I might for some and not for others, but PLEASE don't discount all the other improvements you may feel - or will feel if you continue on with your journey. I did my first W30 on the first anniversary of my healthier lifestyle and I wrote about that first year and thought you might be interested in reading it: http://cookingripe.com/a-year-of-relearning-how-to-eat-how-i-lost-45-lbs-eating-real-food/

Have a great weekend! Betsie

Yep! Still on it! Its been foggy and cool here - making me crave comfort food something major. However, when I want bread or cookies I reach for fruit or tea or nuts and just ride it out. Tea helps too. Another major craving I had yesterday was wine. I passed the GRE in the morning, got the score I need to apply to grad school and wanted desperately to celebrate yesterday evening with a glass of wine or two. But I held back. Had cherry flavored seltzer instead. 

I was starting to feel tigers blood coming on, then aunt flo arrived 2 weeks early --- it was shocking and also made me pretty tired. I learned on the ladies part of this forum that thats a common side affect for women on Whole 30. Yikes. 

Overall this has been a fantastic experience. I have had more energy, my moods have been more stable, I've lost weight, and I feel more confident. 

Keep up the good work everyone!!!

Archived