Starting Whole30 on July 18

jlowe15

Happy Saturday everyone!  Today is my day 7!  Wow- a whole week!  But I'm a little nervous because I'm notorious for being able to do new things for a week no problem, and then falling right off.  If I can make it to day 9 or 10 I'll know I'm good to go.  Knowing I'd have to start all over helps motivate me, plus I feel like the "rules" are a sort of a safety net -- I know what I can eat and what I can't, period. No question or compromise.  

To keep myself - and maybe others - inspired, here are some Non-Scale Victories I've already noticed:

- I've barely even thought about drinking a cola all week  -- and that's saved me at least $10!

- My sinus problems are better ... not great, but slightly improved.

- My clothes are fitting better.

- Veggies have not gone bad in my fridge waiting for me to figure out what to do with them!

- I'm actually taking real lunch breaks instead of grabbing junk food on the fly.

Heading to local Saturday Market to pick up a few new veggies.  Have a great weekend.   :)

Great job! 

I started my second W30 on July 3rd but messed up on day 12 so had to restart. Instead of having just over 1 week to go, I've another 3. It's so not worth giving into any cravings. It was a take out meal after working late which was my undoing. Today is my 8th day from restart and my NSV's to date are:  flatter tummy and a little more energy. 

My advice for week two is to make your meals even more delicious than week one. And keep up the prep.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3 for me and it hit me like a ton of bricks. It's grey & rainy here so I slept in & had a late breakfast (sauteed spinach & onion in olive oil & 3 eggs scrambled in olive oil). I started bonking around noon which I didn't experience on Day 1 or 2. Had a tuna salad with homemade mayo, a ton of the compliant coleslaw leftover from last night & olives. Dinner will be grilled chicken (compliant homemade marinade) with roasted pepper mayo, a ton of roasted sweet potatoes & rounded out with more coleslaw.

I'm reactive hypo, so I was expecting a bonk like this at some point as I adjust to my new way of eating. I feel that eating 4-6 small meals keeps my blood sugar level, but also keeps me completely dependent on consuming carbs for energy. I think getting more starchy veg in breakfast & dinner should help, but please point anything I may be getting wrong!

It's encouraging to see the posts from people who are a few days ahead of me & doing so well! Great job!

Hey guys! So I've been horrible and I haven't posted here since day 1- but I'm on day 6 and still going strong! Don't get me wrong- days 2-4 were pretty darn bad, but the past 2 weren't horrible. I've definitely figured out that if I plan out my meals and I know what I am going to eat I do much better (just like what everyone says). I just finished planning out and shopping for most of week 2. I think it is definitely getting easier. For me the cheese temptation is definitely still there, but I'm working on it!. I am definitely going to try to be more active on here this week. See y'all here + have a great week!

So day 3 for me is complete. I found eating out was actually easy yesterday and today. Getting a little bit of heartburn today.

The problems I had on Day 1 was that I ate so early and then was not able to eat lunch at a regular time so was starving. I had to have an Epic bar at 1:30 pm and ate lunch later. Dinner was not too hungry since ate lunch so late so ended up just eating a baked sweet potato plain.  Next day ate breakfast early around 7 am, lunch ok time, then at 5 pm had to have another Epic bar until I could get home and finish preparing my dinner. So I have had to use the Epic bar twice to save me over the last two days. 

Day 3 woke up with a soar throat due to allergies draining all night and just could not bring myself to eat something since I was nauseas too. I ate out for lunch at 12:30 pm and it was good, stayed on track. Then I did not have any more Epic bars and did not get home until 6:30 pm and fixed dinner. Really hungry of course, but only got two meals in. I may have a little something to hold me over until breakfast. It is 10 pm so probably just a piece of fruit or a veggie.

Anyone have suggestions for when I am out all day going to different appointments and not getting to eat at a normal time, and going several hours in between meals? Also no refrigerator of course. Most of the time I will need to eat breakfast by 6 am and sometimes do not get home until 6:30 pm or later.

I am usually not out all day on the road and can work in normal times to eat, but I am used to eating four small meals a day. Trying to keep to three and no snacking per the plan. Just getting hungry since most times it is at least 6 hours or more between breakfast and lunch, and can sometimes have to eat dinner late. That is why I used to do four small meals.

Planning to cook more tomorrow so I have more meals ready. Going to have scrambled eggs in the morning with mushrooms and compliant bacon, then for lunch a hamburger with portabella mushrooms for the buns and a tomato, plus a veggie, unsure what for dinner yet, probably something with cauliflower though. Then cook an additional one or two meals to have on hand.

So day 3 for me is complete. I found eating out was actually easy yesterday and today. Getting a little bit of heartburn today.

The problems I had on Day 1 was that I ate so early and then was not able to eat lunch at a regular time so was starving. I had to have an Epic bar at 1:30 pm and ate lunch later. Dinner was not too hungry since ate lunch so late so ended up just eating a baked sweet potato plain.  Next day ate breakfast early around 7 am, lunch ok time, then at 5 pm had to have another Epic bar until I could get home and finish preparing my dinner. So I have had to use the Epic bar twice to save me over the last two days. 

Day 3 woke up with a soar throat due to allergies draining all night and just could not bring myself to eat something since I was nauseas too. I ate out for lunch at 12:30 pm and it was good, stayed on track. Then I did not have any more Epic bars and did not get home until 6:30 pm and fixed dinner. Really hungry of course, but only got two meals in. I may have a little something to hold me over until breakfast. It is 10 pm so probably just a piece of fruit or a veggie.

Anyone have suggestions for when I am out all day going to different appointments and not getting to eat at a normal time, and going several hours in between meals? Also no refrigerator of course. Most of the time I will need to eat breakfast by 6 am and sometimes do not get home until 6:30 pm or later.

I am usually not out all day on the road and can work in normal times to eat, but I am used to eating four small meals a day. Trying to keep to three and no snacking per the plan. Just getting hungry since most times it is at least 6 hours or more between breakfast and lunch, and can sometimes have to eat dinner late. That is why I used to do four small meals.

Planning to cook more tomorrow so I have more meals ready. Going to have scrambled eggs in the morning with mushrooms and compliant bacon, then for lunch a hamburger with portabella mushrooms for the buns and a tomato, plus a veggie, unsure what for dinner yet, probably something with cauliflower though. Then cook an additional one or two meals to have on hand.

Your work pattern sounds a little similar to mine. I have days when I'm out and about all day, driving from one appointment to another. I can also never guarantee that I'll finish work at a reasonable time. I was already taking my lunch to work but am now starting to take my M3 to work as well (basically surrendering to the reality that my work/life balance is not going to get any better soon). I mostly take salads which can get too warm in the car on hot days. I grew up in Australia where it was easy to buy well insulated lunch boxes and even portable car fridges, but here in the UK, not so much. For days when I need to keep my food in the car, I use insulated lunch bags, which I put inside a large zipped insulated chill bag with two ice bricks. 

Eating in the car isn't fun but I would replace the Epic bars with either a mini meal, or with an earlier M2 which you can eat on the go. If Epic bars are anything like Larabars, they will be feeding your sugar dragon. I googled W30 mini meals and came up with the list below. You're absolutely right about planning; pre-planning and prepping your meals in advance is the key to success on the W30. My prep today for the week ahead includes;  Deconstructed-Gyro-Salad and Tabbouleh from Well Fed, Roasted Chicken legs and orange fennel salad,  cauliflower Pilaf and roasted sweet potatoes.  Best of luck with it all :)

cooked chicken thigh with handful olives

meatballs with half avocado

leftover steak with homemade mayo

hard boiled egg and baked sweet potato

canned sardines with hot sauce and an apple

small container of chicken salad (diced chicken breast, celery, grated carrot, homemade mayo)

Happy Sunday! And Happy Day 7 if you started last Monday (the 18th)!   I cannot BELIEVE I  have gone 7 days without added sugar, grains and dairy! And I cannot believe it hasn't been harder.  At the same time, I don't want to underestimate the next few weeks and how I might have cravings LOL

Yesterday my family and I went to Sesame Place, which is a water/amusement park about 1.5 hours away from my home. We started the day early, trying to leave by 8:15am. I got up and forced myself to eat a large breakfast. I have to admit, I was pretty tired of eggs and veggies in the morning and I really wanted to just eat a yogurt - not because of a craving, but mostly just for convenience and I just didn't feel like eating veggies (or anything really) that early in the morning.  But I did it.  About 15 minutes down the highway with 5 kids in the car, our vehicle began to crap out. We were able to get it to our local dealership and somehow score a big enough rental car and still made it to the amusement park. 

I had been nervous about whether or not they were going to allow me to bring my food in. Turns out they would have, if I hadn't packed my salad in a glass container  <_<   Luckily, I had packed my protein and snacks as well, so that came in and I was able to get a salad at the dining area.  While I didn't actually eat balanced meals all day, I DID NOT SLIP at all. I had packed some apples and LARA bars, which I wouldn't usually eat as a snack but I thought it was better than the alternative (eating stuff from the park). I drank tons of water, got lots of walking in, and was ready to crash by the end of the night.  

Then we pulled in the driveway at 11:30 PM and realized we left our house key with the dealership  :wacko:

So day 7 here for me. Yay!!! So far so good. I was so tempted to eat some of my husbands bacon this morning though. I'm not sure if it's compliant. It was a double pack from Costco and this side didn't have ingredients. It's uncured no nitrates all natural etc but still wasn't sure if those " sneaky sugars were in there.

Well I made it through my concert last night. Took along avacado carrots compliant turkey and some fruit to get me through the night. Had to put everything in a clear zippy with an ice block but hey it worked. Have to work again tonight, Don Henly, just love him, so going to try and do the same but maybe chicken breast.

Sounds like everyone is doing great so have a great and blessed day

Happy Sunday! And Happy Day 7 if you started last Monday (the 18th)!   I cannot BELIEVE I  have gone 7 days without added sugar, grains and dairy! And I cannot believe it hasn't been harder.  At the same time, I don't want to underestimate the next few weeks and how I might have cravings LOL

Yesterday my family and I went to Sesame Place, which is a water/amusement park about 1.5 hours away from my home. We started the day early, trying to leave by 8:15am. I got up and forced myself to eat a large breakfast. I have to admit, I was pretty tired of eggs and veggies in the morning and I really wanted to just eat a yogurt - not because of a craving, but mostly just for convenience and I just didn't feel like eating veggies (or anything really) that early in the morning.  But I did it.  About 15 minutes down the highway with 5 kids in the car, our vehicle began to crap out. We were able to get it to our local dealership and somehow score a big enough rental car and still made it to the amusement park. 

I had been nervous about whether or not they were going to allow me to bring my food in. Turns out they would have, if I hadn't packed my salad in a glass container  <_<   Luckily, I had packed my protein and snacks as well, so that came in and I was able to get a salad at the dining area.  While I didn't actually eat balanced meals all day, I DID NOT SLIP at all. I had packed some apples and LARA bars, which I wouldn't usually eat as a snack but I thought it was better than the alternative (eating stuff from the park). I drank tons of water, got lots of walking in, and was ready to crash by the end of the night.  

Then we pulled in the driveway at 11:30 PM and realized we left our house key with the dealership  :wacko:

Om my gosh what a day!!!!! Your are so awesome not to have slipped. Great inspiration!! Thank you for sharing. Hope you and the kids have a nice relaxing day today.

Great job! 

I started my second W30 on July 3rd but messed up on day 12 so had to restart. Instead of having just over 1 week to go, I've another 3. It's so not worth giving into any cravings. It was a take out meal after working late which was my undoing. Today is my 8th day from restart and my NSV's to date are:  flatter tummy and a little more energy. 

My advice for week two is to make your meals even more delicious than week one. And keep up the prep.

Thank you so much for sharing this. You're right - I don't want to start over!!! Today has been the hardest day yet. Not sure why. Nothing about eating right should have been difficult, but I was so tempted to pull into the convenience store and cave to my soda pop and Snickers bar habit. But I DIDN'T!! I like your advice to focus on even more delicious meals... And I know my prep last weekend didn't last all week and that's been making it harder the last couple days. Thanks for the help!

Today has been so hard!! And to top it off a quick evening trip to Six Flags (we live right next door and have season passes)... I just see everyone walking around eating delicious things and I'm craving a funnel cake :( logged on real quick during waiting in line to read some supportive messages! Can't wAit to be in bed later having not caved and one day closer to being done !

Today has been so hard!! And to top it off a quick evening trip to Six Flags (we live right next door and have season passes)... I just see everyone walking around eating delicious things and I'm craving a funnel cake :( logged on real quick during waiting in line to read some supportive messages! Can't wAit to be in bed later having not caved and one day closer to being done !

Way to go! I felt much the same today and I didn't even go anywhere!! So glad you checked in instead of giving in. I'm finding that reading other people's posts, compliant recipes, or even the "rules" over again helps me stay on track.

Well made it through the weekend with no slips! Oh I'm so happy I stuck to it.

Now for week two. Like most I think this will be my hardest week. I'm not a huge fan of mayo but think I'll make a batch to make some ranch dressing and tuna salad. Going to be harder to make up ideas to eat that I'll like.

Great job everyone for staying on plan. Sounds like a few hard days but we made it. WooHoo!

Happy week 2 everyone!

I was offline most of the weekend doing computer updates, but I was able to read posts via my phone and I was great seeing folks getting through hard weekend adventures while staying on track! Keep it up - it can become  a habit :)

My big news is that my husband has very grudgingly agreed to join me for one week on W30. I know a week isn't enough, but we have to start somewhere and he is getting to a point with his health that he has to make a change. I've been Paleo for almost three years, while living with my SAD diet husband. He eats what I eat for dinner, but adds bread or tortillas and is on his own the rest of the day - eating crap. He's really having trouble with heartburn and just doesn't feel well and I know he may be on the edge of big health issues (yes, he has an appt with the doc), and I know that diet changes will help, no matter what it is. He's watched me lose 50lbs and get off all prescriptions, so I don't know why it seems so crazy for him when he's familiar with how it works.

SO, I'm good, but he's not so happy - he's going along, but he whines - a lot. He's used to munching all evening - chips, cheese crisps, desserts, etc. so he's feeling hungry and needs snacks for the transition. He hasn't grasped the 3 meals/day or the balanced plate thing, yet - I've got him reading It Starts with Food, so maybe he'll get there eventually. I wasn't prepared to feed both of us all three meals W30 and we live 35 miles from town where we can do real shopping, so we're struggling a bit until we can go to town tomorrow night and hopefully find him something to quell his munchies a bit. Wish us luck - we're going to need it lol! Any guys out there with tips for filling up hungry men???

A few tips - if you're bored with breakfast or want to make something ahead of time, try quiches with a sweet/white potato crust. I make these a lot - and non-paleo peeps like them, too. You can add any compliant proteins and whatever veggies you like (I find it helps to saute them a bit first). I use a mandolin to slice the potatoes, then place in the pie pan and bake till just fork tender, then pour in the filling an bake till done. Here's a recipe for inspiration:

http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/?s=oven+omelettes

Egg muffin cups are also great for make-ahead and grab and go - again, you can add any protein/veggie ingredients you like and you could use the potato slice on the bottom, or not. I've seen them done with a slice of lunch meat as the "crust" too. Very portable and kids even like them. Recipe for inspiration:

http://paleoaholic.com/paleo/paleo-egg-muffins-with-bacon/

Keep on keeping on - and keep sharing your challenges and successes - it really helps all of us! :)

Betsie

SO, I'm good, but he's not so happy - he's going along, but he whines - a lot.

I have my husband on board for the full 30 days, but he's also a whiner, not to mention much more picky than I am. Beef and chicken are pretty much the only proteins he'll eat, and he's already getting sick of chicken. But after fighting with him for basically the entire Week 1, he's finally eating and enjoying homemade mayo. I ended up forcibly spooning some on his plate and making him try it after listening him complain about yet another meal.  ;)  He used to eat a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, so he REALLY misses his bread, along with fries and standard ketchup for his burgers (I made homemade ketchup for him, but he doesn't like the "consistency"). Cooking (and dishwashing) for the both of us has been exhausting, but I've been batch-cooking a lot in my free time so I can just heat stuff up, and that's helped, as has my crockpot, even though it's finicky and likes to burn everything. Week 3 and Tiger Blood seem so far away...not to mention Day 31! :(

I am very proud of all that had a successful weekend.. Me not so much. I realize I am an emotional drinker and eater and of course something had to happen to put me in a tailspin!!!! of all weekends. I also realize I will not have one ounce of support from my husband. So back to day one for me and I feel like a huge failure... Errrrrrrrr I as doing so well until saturday

I am very proud of all that had a successful weekend.. Me not so much. I realize I am an emotional drinker and eater and of course something had to happen to put me in a tailspin!!!! of all weekends. I also realize I will not have one ounce of support from my husband. So back to day one for me and I feel like a huge failure... Errrrrrrrr I as doing so well until saturday

Wenroller1 - just get back on the wagon and don't look back! You got through several days the first time and you can do it again - and more this time. I've lived with my non-compliant husband for nearly 3 years and have done just fine on my own, so know that you can do it as well. They get insecure that our lifestyle changes are going to cause them to have to change, too. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but you have to go on your own journey to better health. Recall how great you felt with your non-scale victories last week and go for it again! :D

I have my husband on board for the full 30 days, but he's also a whiner, not to mention much more picky than I am. Beef and chicken are pretty much the only proteins he'll eat, and he's already getting sick of chicken. But after fighting with him for basically the entire Week 1, he's finally eating and enjoying homemade mayo. I ended up forcibly spooning some on his plate and making him try it after listening him complain about yet another meal.  ;)  He used to eat a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, so he REALLY misses his bread, along with fries and standard ketchup for his burgers (I made homemade ketchup for him, but he doesn't like the "consistency"). Cooking (and dishwashing) for the both of us has been exhausting, but I've been batch-cooking a lot in my free time so I can just heat stuff up, and that's helped, as has my crockpot, even though it's finicky and likes to burn everything. Week 3 and Tiger Blood seem so far away...not to mention Day 31! :(

MonicaJ - Impressive that you got him to commit to 30 days! That's HUGE! Mine is very picky, also - but he does like what I cook usually. He just wants other stuff, too - and doesn't get the point of eating three meals so he's not ravenous in the late afternoon, which causes the binging on crap - that leads to heartburn, etc. Trying to get him to see the cycle that is so obvious to me. Sigh. Crockpots definitely help - when they cook things correctly, lol. :huh: Yes, bread is the major issue here, as well, and I remember how I felt about the lack of a vessel into which to put my food, too. Now I don't even notice anymore - so it just takes time to change old habits, but it's so painful in the moment, I know.

I can't wait to hear that you and your hubs survive the whole 30 days - and I hope I live through 6 more (and maybe even more!) with my hubs :blink:

Betsie

Wenroller1 - just get back on the wagon and don't look back! You got through several days the first time and you can do it again - and more this time. I've lived with my non-compliant husband for nearly 3 years and have done just fine on my own, so know that you can do it as well. They get insecure that our lifestyle changes are going to cause them to have to change, too. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but you have to go on your own journey to better health. Recall how great you felt with your non-scale victories last week and go for it again! :D

Thank you Betsie  You are very encouraging and yes I am back at it today and funny I am not hungry at all today.  Must be because I am trying to not think about food.  This forum has been such an inspiring place for me.  Lets make it a great week!!

Oh happy day I made it home from Six Flags without a single bit of my kids ice cream or drink of their soda - I was SO happy a thunderstorm rolled in and cut the evening short!  :)  Feel much better today, have 4 full days of meal prep done and looking forward to an awesome week.  Already mentally prepping for a weekend trip to Michigan  next weekend for a volleyball tournament that is traditionally a complete booze fest and food-a-thon.  Will work to be uber-prepared with healthy foods and drinks - but will need to be checking for sure for support.

Great job everyone - love all the emails and stories from everyone, is very motivating to keep me going!

One other neat thing that happened so far on this journey... I've got 4 young girls (7,6,4, and 2), and they see I'm eating differently. I don't want to give them any complexes about food or tell them "mama's on a diet", so explained it that I'm trying to find out what was making my tummy upset so much, so for 30 days I'm only going to eat healthy, more "gentle" foods, and then we'll figure out what I can add back in. They've been so supportive - and the bigger girls have insisted on making me a fruit salad (cutting up all our fresh fruit) every afternoon (although I don't eat it all b/c I don't want that fruit sugar spike, but would never tell them to stop!) :)  Very interesting hearing everyone's "hubby" stories - mine thinks this is a "fad diet" but is generally supportive. I'm making Whole30 dinners for us, and he's just adding more food to it that he likes, although he's made the commitment to go "no carb" for awhile to drop a few pounds too. He wont' give up his dairy though (which I'm really jealous of!)   He's also doing 30 days no drinking, and said this was the nicest Monday morning he's had in awhile (since we had no late wine nights this weekend) - so, it's kind of turning into a family journey  - I'm hoping that when my 30 days gets real results, will bring everyone into the fold more fully. 

I'm a little late to the forum party but I'm here now.  I've completed 3 whole30s previously and I fell off the wagon sometime in March.  Working to get back on it before my 40th birthday.  I'm also in Maryland as I saw a few of you are too!  I'm going solo on it but don't have anyone to give me a hard time about it, except those friends that like to go out and try new foods!

I'm not having too many struggles this round except maybe getting my act together and making meals ahead!  Although, I had to be determined about when I go out with friends.  Usually, I do some menu research beforehand which helps TREMENDOUSLY. 

Each whole30, I've picked up a new tool or trick.  The first one was after all those zoodles... I just bought a spiralizer.  My crockpot is my friend for morning potatoes and this time I got an instant pot.  Made some thai beef something or other and whoa! delicious and a game changer. 

It's been a busy week for me and hopefully, I'll get to posting here more frequently.

I'm a little late to the forum party but I'm here now.  I've completed 3 whole30s previously and I fell off the wagon sometime in March.  Working to get back on it before my 40th birthday.  I'm also in Maryland as I saw a few of you are too!  I'm going solo on it but don't have anyone to give me a hard time about it, except those friends that like to go out and try new foods!

I'm not having too many struggles this round except maybe getting my act together and making meals ahead!  Although, I had to be determined about when I go out with friends.  Usually, I do some menu research beforehand which helps TREMENDOUSLY. 

Each whole30, I've picked up a new tool or trick.  The first one was after all those zoodles... I just bought a spiralizer.  My crockpot is my friend for morning potatoes and this time I got an instant pot.  Made some thai beef something or other and whoa! delicious and a game changer. 

It's been a busy week for me and hopefully, I'll get to posting here more frequently.

I'd never heard of an "instant pot" - just spent 15 minutes learning and reading on Amazon, sounds awesome!  I've always wanted to do pressure cooking but seemed scary.  I think i will try this and get one - fun tool and if it makes Whole30 easier, very worth it :) Thanks for sharing!

Hello again! It's day 8 and despite some ups and downs this weekend I've been holding on strong. After feeling great the first few days, I had no idea how hard the next few would be. I think sugar must have had a bigger hold on me than I realized. Thank goodness I'm feeling re-energized today!

Highlights have included:

- I managed to survive a wedding where I brought my own rogue salad (it was a casual event).
- My boyfriend who had only signed on for seven days (to help support me), offered to do the rest of the program with me (and joined in eating the rogue salad)

- I feel like I have come out of a cloud today after feeling up and down this weekend, and am re-energized again

- After growing a bit tired of eggs, I discovered a great Whole30 sweet potato/sausage hash recipe that helped shake up my new breakfast routine.
- I noticed my skin is getting really soft.

I hope everyone had a great weekend! It's really nice to know there is a group of people going through this adventure at the same time as me. We're in this together :)

Archived