Starting Whole30 on July 18

jlowe15

This has been quite the journery and although I am ready to have a little ketchup and maybe some coconut milk ice cream at some point I don't really crave anything anymore! In fact, I am looking forward to this being the beginning of something great. I can tell my hair and nails have changed for the better!  I found out the sluggish feeling I had comes when I add too much starchy or carb-heavy veggies. I actually get the same kind of crash from them as sugar. They spike my blood pressure and I get headaches. So, what works for me is protein, light carbs and fat. I don't miss the way sugar reacted in my body, but it took this 30 days to figure it out...almost the WHOLE 30! Lol. So for instance, I now know I don't need that extra sweet potato, plantain or piece of fruit on my plate. Is anyone else going to continue eating Whole30ish? 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so thankful you all are out there!  I haven't had a chance to post but I've been checking in - I was about ready to stick my open mouth under a soft-serve ice cream machine several times this week, but I check in and there you are with your encouragement, humor, and camaraderie so I make it one more day.

I don't know why I've had such bad cravings lately... worse than in the beginning.  I went out of town this week on a work trip I make every couple months.  I stay at a friend's house, and while she is a real clean eater the trip itself is usually packed with unhealthy indulgences, so just the memories and habits of the "norm" hit me hard.  But I kept my course and used my friend's kitchen to try out Melissa Joulwan's Scotch Eggs, a take on her Chocolate Chili (I used carob and not all the right spices), and a try at baked eggs in an avocado, but the avocado was too small so I fried them together instead.   Had fresh picked green beans sautéed in coconut oil for "dessert" one night.    However, I think that I too am going to have to oust eggs and coconut, at least for a while to find out what is still causing my sinus allergies.  

Have a happy weekend everyone.  I am going hiking in the Cascades, in 90+ degree heat.

17 hours ago, Chante710 said:

I am ready to have a little ketchup and maybe some coconut milk ice cream

Have you tried the kickass Ketchup recipe in Well Fed 2 ? I think it tastes better than bought ketchup and takes 10 mins to make.

I was planning to continue eating W30 Mon - frid as I still need to pre-prep most of my weekday meals anyway, but I did my weekly shop last night and bought  oats and oat based Muesli :wub: ready for day 31.  Cereal for breakfast is one thing I've really missed. Cooking eggs and sauteed veg every morning has become routine but when I'm shopping I look longingly at the cereals. Last night I could resist no more. I suspect that oats will cause me bloating like most grains and if this is the case, it will be a weekend treat only sadly.  

I've cooked a roast leg of lamb today (YUM!), cauli and broccoli mash and bacon and sweet potato soup. I'm feeling a bit bloated but not sure if it's the coconut milk or the veg.  I've been liking the fact that I no longer look 7 months pregnant and really don't want to relapse.

Wow can't believe this 30 days is coming to an end. I thinking going to stay eating whole30 ish. I already went shopping for my reintroduction period and found out I really wasn't missing too many things.

does anyone know if we have to reintroduce a certain way?? I have the book and they suggest alcohol first, which I'm not missing at all, then legumes. I was hoping to just skip right to the yogurt. I'm also not a huge bean, soy eater so was hoping the dairy day would be ok for my first day. I'm missing my quick simple on the go breakfast. I'm going to do well with lunch and dinners but really need something other than eggs and veggies. I wish I could wrap my head around having leftovers for breakfast but for me it just didn't work out. 

Well hers to a couple more days. Good luck on your journeys!!!!

• Moderators

@Vickilee51 you can reintroduce in any order that you want. Remember that you reintroduce something, preferably at all three meals that day, and then go back to Whole30 for at least two days, more if you take longer to feel good again, before you reintroduce something else. And then, even if you have no reaction to something you reintroduce, continue to leave it out until you've done all the reintroductions you are going to do.

Also keep in mind that for some people, a small amount of something doesn't bother them, but having larger amounts at once, or continuing to have those small amounts daily, can cause a reaction. So, for instance, if I have a little dairy it doesn't bother me, but I found after my first Whole30 that if I continued to eat Whole30 with the exception of some half & half in my coffee each morning, after a week or so, some aches and pains that had gone away during Whole30 came back. So even though I thought I was fine with dairy, it was affecting me, it just took it building up some before I noticed it.

Congrats everyone, just a few more days to go! It's so great to know others are still on plan and will be finishing and going through reintroduction together soon. I've already started planning ahead. I do think I'll stick to a lot of the new ways of eating I've taken on while on Whole30. I'm not sure what my long-term plan will be, but I know I feel better and I want the changes I've seen and felt to be lasting. Wishing you all a fantastic final few days...we've come so far...we can do it!

Happy last Monday of the W30!

I'm so glad to see there are still several of us participating!

We survived the big fish fry event this weekend. There was amazing food - and some of the fish was baked, not fried, so I could eat it. They also had amazing filet Mignon! Quite a BBQ! The hubs avoided drinking, despite the full open bar. I taught him to have a can of soda (I know, not great, but he needed something in a can to look like beer) in a coozie so people weren't so shocked he wasn't having a beer. It worked and made him feel less self-conscious.

While the hubs has not stayed W30 or Paleo pure, he has definitely backed off on beer, bread and sugar and of course, he's already lost like 15 pounds! Why is it so much easier for men??! :lol:

I do plan to stay mostly Whole30 after our time is up. I have always had a tendency to return to eating corn tortilla chips, tortillas and popcorn, even though I avoid everything else pretty well. I know that it's counter-productive for me to do that, so I'm going to remain corn-free this time.  I already know that dairy is not my friend is really messes with my sinus issues, so I always stay clear of it. I plan to allow some occasional dark chocolate snacks and some alcohol into my diet again over time, but pretty moderately. I've learned too much about the ill effects of certain foods on the systems of the body to really go very far off the wagon at this point. I just know it won't be healthy long term, even if it tastes good or doesn't cause immediate upset. If you're interested in learning more depth about nutrition as it relates to chronic illness, I recommend reading The Wahl's Protocol and the Paleo Approach.

I didn't expect to lose much weight on my W30 as I haven't had big losses during my previous two (7 lbs the first time and I think 3 lbs the next time) and I've been on a plateau for quite a while, but I was pleased that when I put on a shirt Saturday that has been snug across the middle, and found it fit much nicer now. :) So, that was an unexpected pleasant moment.

Someone mentioned having some ongoing sinus issues - you might look into avoiding high histamine foods (Google can tell you more). 

The finish line is clearly in sight! Keep up the good work!

Betsie

Hello Everyone!

First, I am so happy to see you all still here and posting, and congratulations on your amazing journey thus far. I'm sitting here thinking I can't believe there's only a day and a half left. Time kind of flew by (I must be blocking out some of the harder days).

This past week would normally have been full of crappy junk food and alcohol, which would have added to the stress of: packing my first-born daughter for college (late nights and lots of errands with convenient drive-throughs on every corner) a road trip (car snacks, restaurants), moving my daughter into her dorm and leaving her there (eat all the feelings), and a continued road trip to a wedding (fun, partying relatives and delicious food). BUT, I got through all of that, on-plan! And I was thankful not to have the bloating, aches and hangover!

Like many of you have mentioned, I'm thinking a lot about reintroduction and post Whole30. My husband ended up doing it with me, which is awesome, because we both don't want to go back to our old ways and are committed to finding a good balance moving forward. I think I am going to reintroduce grains first, mainly for the reasons jenmidge brought up. Part of my plan moving forward is to ritualize meals, and I just don't see eating meat/eggs for breakfast long-term.

Well, I hope you're all having a good day. I read all of the posts and love them! Here's to Day 29 and beyond!!!

It's so good to see so many who have made it! I can't believe it's A.L,M.O.S.T. O.V.E.R! Wow! Time went too fast. I am really having fun now putting meals together and plan on continuing this journey. My treat is going to be buying the Well Fed cookbooks, the one I have is from the library. Great job everyone, your journeys inspired me!

I am amazed that tomorrow is Day 30! I wrote a long self reflection about the whole experience that I linked above. I am looking forward to making a paleo treat for day 31. I think it will involve almond flour. And a glass of wine, or two, or three. 

I definitely want to keep eating whole 30 style, with added things I find agree with me after reintroductions. Lets keep posting here during reintroductions. I am very curious about what we will find and how it will pan out. Of course, I'm worried that it won't be cut and dry enough for me, but I've heard that once your body is "reset" by the 30 days, you are sensitive enough to understand how different kinds of foods affect you. 

I love having the support of this forum and the daily emails. The strict rules have made it easy to make food choices. I worry that I'll lose my way a bit, but then again, I have developed confidence in myself while shopping and such. However, I haven't eaten out all month. I'm gonna have to figure that one out. 

Hello everyone! I've been quiet but am still here and so proud that have gone this whole time sticking 100% to the food rules for Whole30.  My drinks during volleyball that one weekend half way through will keep me from totally high-fiving myself this week and so I'll continue Whole30 for another few weeks - but overall a huge improvement for me in terms of energy, clothes fitting, quality of workouts/recovery, and cravings really reduced/eliminated.  I've been reading up on re-introduction and am looking forward to that.  One hiccup in my plan - leaving for an international work trip (Sweden) this Thursday for 7 days - have no idea how easy if at all will be to keep up Whole30 while I'm there but will do everything possible to stay on track. Looking forward to hearing how everyone's re-introduction plans go!

WOW! I counted wrong! I thought tomorrow was day 30, not today :) Woo hoo! Congratulations to everyone who completed or is still in the process of completing the full 30 days! I love reading your stories and reflections at the end.

Incandescent - I read your self-reflection. Thank you so much for sharing! What an amazing story you have and how wonderful that you have found that food choices impact your life and well-being. Your son is lucky you have figured this out while he's young. I didn't get there till my daughter was a college grad - but at least I got there! I have the dairy issue too, but nowhere near as extreme as you did. So simple, right? Why don't docs KNOW THIS STUFF?? Congratulations on your GRE and everything else!

I enjoyed this W30 even more than my previous two - probably because I really needed a reset. I was so worn out from stress and being busy for the previous few months and I knew I wasn't as on top of my nutrition as I have been in the past, and my body felt it. I wanted to get back to being in control of my health again and these 30 days were a great step in that direction. I also love interacting with people who are new to the W30 journey because it reminds me of why I live like I do and why I want to continue and not let go of my health goals.

New lessons:

• I don't think cashews agree with me :( I've never noticed it before, but I had more than my fair share in the past few days and my tummy was cranky. Since everything else was the same, I'm blaming cashews. Sigh. I really like them, but I should probably put those aside for at least awhile.
  • While dairy seems to be the main culprit in my allergy/sinus issues, I'm having some issues right now without dairy so I need to figure out what the cause is. May be simple seasonal allergies, but it may be food related - and I'm afraid I have to investigate high histamine foods and determine if any of those (or some of those) are the culprits. Nuts, tomatoes - oh no!
  • I need to let go of corn. For some reason, I have given up all grains for 3 years now, except corn in the form of tortillas, chips and popcorn, but there's no good reason to keep it in my diet when I believe it causes tummy trouble and weight gain. I may allow an occasional taco, but I've decided to eliminate corn products, too.

Unexpectedly, my husband kinda joined me this round due to his health issues and I'm hopeful that we'll finally be in sync with dietary choices in the future - and that we both avoid the preventable diseases that plague our families.

True confession: somewhere in the middle of our W30, the hubs made breakfast. This doesn't happen often, so I sat back and let it happen. Then I ate the really yummy scrambled eggs and bacon. Then I was thinking how the eggs tasted different than mine usually do - and then I realized: he used butter!!! Dammit. He "forgot" I can't have it right now. Sigh. I decided not to start over because I know how dairy effects me already and it was a pretty small amount, so I let it go. I didn't confess at the time because I didn't want to promote "cheating" as ok. Had this been my first round, I definitely would have gone back to start.

I urge everyone to continue learning more about the W30/Paleo lifestyle - education is what has kept me on track for these three years. I know too much to go back now! If you're a social media person, start following Paleo bloggers on FB, Pinterest, Instagram, SnapChat, etc. and you'll have lots of reminders, lessons and recipes to try. My favs: Paleo Mom, Paleo Parents, Predominately Paleo, PaleOMG, Paleo Newbie, Paleo Hacks, Nom Nom Paleo, Well Fed, Paleo Leap, Spunky Coconut, Against All Grain. Lots of great books to learn more, now too!

Tomorrow I'm going to see how the scale looks and then I'm going to carry on living very close to W30. I have a ton of zucchini from the garden, so I plan to make some Paleo zucc bread this weekend for a treat for the hubs and I, but I have no big plans to go off plan in the near future. I plan to keep on keepin on.

Cheers to you all!! :)

Betsie

Today was a big day for us, and not just because it's Day 30; we submitted our first offer for our first house! (The stress acne is coming on strong, haha) We'll hear back either way tomorrow. If the offer is accepted, our finances will get even tighter for the near future, so we won't be able to afford so much beautiful meat anymore and will have to return to cheaper meals. But I'd say these past 30 days have been a success, if more for my husband than me. He's proud of himself for completing this, as he should be, though none of his Standard American Diet cravings ever subsided, and he has no interest in doing proper reintroductions. I probably won't, either, actually, since I haven't really seen any changes. But I do feel more knowledgeable about my health and my body, and I've decided that my next step will be 90 days of a strict Autoimmune Paleo diet as soon as possible, so probably in January after the holidays. If that plus regular exercise doesn't improve my conditions, then I'll have to look into medications. But I'm optimistic that AI Protocol will make some sort of difference, since I had minor reactions after removing nightshades for only that week or so.

P.S. I finished off the last of that jar of garlic-stuffed olives today...still don't like them. <_<

Yeah 30 days being totally compliant!!!! I'm a stubborn person my husband says but worked out well this past month. 

So it was a day off for me and decided to step it up a notch at the last minute and do a 9 mile hike, turned into 15.6, with an elevation gain of 3300 ft. Mt Tallac in south Lake Tahoe. Thought all would be groovy I've hiked this at least a dozen times before. 

WRONG. didn't really pay attention to what I've been eating and soon realized I haven't eaten a significant amount of carbs the past 3-4 days. Meat veggies, but lower carb veggies. Not on purpose but just wasn't paying attention. Totally felt like yuck hiking up. Had to stop and fuel up with a Lara bar and a few oranges. Still felt a little dizzy ate my turkey and avacado then another larbar and orange. My fit bit clocked me at 5,135 calories burned( we went the wrong way cuz I wasn't paying attention and had to double backArggggg). So I guess I learned my lesson 

all in all beautiful day and came home and ate meat potatoes and lots of mustard. Good for leg muscle when they are sore. 

Im really happy for all of you who have stayed strong and kept pressing on. Looking forward to hear reintroduction posts. 

Take care and good luck tomorrow:)

Hi everyone and congrats!!  I cannot tell you how proud I am of myself - if nothing else, the newfound confidence in myself and my ability to control my food has been invaluable! However, there have been several NSV! Energy is up, waking up is easier, sleep is very good, skin is awesome, and many more.  I also lost 12 lbs! I am doing the fast track reintroduction, skipping the alcohol because I don't really miss it, so starting with Legumes today!  

There are still some things I need to work on though. Although I was 100% compliant, I wasn't always 100% on the meal template and my meal times are still not great. I find myself not eating my first meal until 10am, sometimes later. I know I have to start eating earlier, but I get so distracted!  I also still suck at meal planning/prep! I did to better at actually making sure i bought the foods I needed on time, but I kind of just pulled things together (I stay at home, so I didn't have to pack lunches or anything). It made me realize that I just don't enjoy cooking (or cleaning it up). But also that I have to prioritize it because its important for the long term. 

My husband didn't do the Whole30 with me - but he did make some changes. He had previously gone to an allergist and found that in addition to the many fruits he is allergic to (which he knew about), he is also allergic to peanuts, corn (and therefore anything with corn/high fructose corn syrup), as well as wheat.  None of the allergies are life threatening, but they just make him feel generally  unwell. So, when I started doing the Whole30, he started eliminating the foods he knows he's allergic to, and also significantly reduced his sugar intake. He is feeling better than ever and has noticed a significant difference in his seasonal allergies and energy levels. He plans to continue eating this way indefinitely!

I'm anxious to see how the reintroduction process goes and planning out how to incorporate things that don't bother me into the rotation. Even if there are no reactions, I plan to only incorporate them once in a while until I meet my long term goals and maintain. 

I documented my journey on my Facebook group. I teach fitness classes a couple of times per week, so I used my group to journal and keep myself accountable and to share with others. I plan to keep going because it really helped me!  If any of you are interested in keeping in touch, feel free to join my group! (I don't sell anything, just occasionally advertise my classes, but it's mostly for motivation). You can find it by searching Get Fit With Anne! in the FB search bar. I also have a "page", but I am more active in the "Group".   https://www.facebook.com/groups/115945181755183/1511920378824316/?notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&notif_id=1471445512392615

Well done everyone:)

I've lost 6lbs. Not great, but the way I was eating before, I would have gained at least 4lbs in the last month if I'd not started, so I figure my real weight loss is about 10lbs. My energy levels are still slowly increasing, definitely no tiger blood but I've not given up hope. My biggest NSV's are: I don't seem to crave carbs and sugar when tired or stressed now. That's huge for me.  And, cooking and eating W30 is becoming a habit, which hopefully means I am less likely to fall completely off track after reintro's this time.

I had muesli for breakfast this morning. It was the healthiest muesli in the store and expensive, but this morning, I didn't like the taste, it didn't fill me up and I thought it needed some sauteed veg and an egg or two on the side:P Tomorrow I'm going back to my eggs and veg. Never thought I would say that, ever! It gave me a slight stomach ache as well and I was starving after four hours. I've been longing for cereal for the last 30 days and that feeling has now just disappeared. 

Looking forward to hearing other folks' NSV.

1 hour ago, jenmidge said:

I had muesli for breakfast this morning. It was the healthiest muesli in the store and expensive, but this morning, I didn't like the taste, it didn't fill me up and I thought it needed some sauteed veg and an egg or two on the side:P Tomorrow I'm going back to my eggs and veg. Never thought I would say that, ever! It gave me a slight stomach ache as well and I was starving after four hours. I've been longing for cereal for the last 30 days and that feeling has now just disappeared. 

Looking forward to hearing other folks' NSV.

Jenmidge - isn't it funny how your tastes change so fast? I was a cereal freak too! I pretty much ate it every day of my life since I was a kid and it was HARD to give up, but my veggie, meat and egg scrambles are so much more filling and satisfying now. I remember eating my cereal with fruit, and feeling full for a bit, then being ravenous within two hours. Now I have to remember to eat lunch because I don't get hungry.  I admit that the days of having cereal for an easy dinner were simpler, but definitely not healthier or more satisfying :)

So - I got on the scale today. I hadn't been feeling like I was losing weight throughout the month - and it wasn't a primary goal, but something I would enjoy - until Saturday when a previously tight shirt was much looser across my middle section (you know, that upper ab area above the belly button where I seemed to have developed a spare tire lately) and my friend said she thought I was thinner. So, I weighed in this morning. 2.5 lbs! Ha!!! woo-hoo. No big scale victory there! BUT, the lesson learned is that clearly inches were lost (I didn't take measurements beforehand) even though pounds were not. Confirms my suspicions about my continued use of corn products and other occasional leanings off the wagon - while it may not impact my weight very much, it does impact my body in other ways and apparently contributes to inflammation in my mid-section. I get it and I'll take it!

Go easy on those reintros, everyone!

Betsie

I bought a scale today on my way home from my morning root canal - that went ok, except I got shaky and lightheaded from the anesthesia, which has NEVER happened to me - so I believe it is related to my diet changes somehow. 

Drumroll please.... I lost 11 lbs! I'm thrilled about it, but need to lose 9 more to be at my pre-baby weight. I would be just as enthusiastic about whole30 if I had lost zero pounds, since the NSVs for me were huge - more energy, stabler moods, and no allergies. 

Feeling proud of all of us!

Congrats everyone, it sounds like you all had some great NSVs during your Whole30! I'm happy to say I did too - my skin is softer, less bloating, great sleep and while my acid reflux is still around it's better too. I felt really satisfied while I was on Whole30 and by transforming my breakfasts and adding protein I don't feel like I need a mid-morning snack (and in general don't really miss snacking). And to top it all off I lost 13.5 pounds, which I'm really happy with! I started by reintroducing dairy today, and so far so good. I'm looking forward to continuing this re-introduction journey and hearing how it's going for the rest of you too. Keep up the great work!

Congrats everyone!!!!

i have to say I'm really glad I did this . My biggest NSV has been knowledge. Knowing what exactly goes into our packaged foods. I do usually cook without using too many boxes or packages, but the ones I have been using I was shocked at how much crap is in them. I've never been a label reader and let me tell you I am now. 

I reintroduced dairy yesterday. So far so good on how I'm feeling this morning. Although I had plain yogurt with fruit I couldn't even Irish the whole cup. It did fill me up until lunch which was my real treat, cheese on my salad.  Yummmmm!! 

After my hike on Tuesday I did notice my hands weren't as swollen, I did use poles on that hike so not sure if that was a whole30 benefit or use of poles. 

I did lose 9 pounds and I thought I was losing because I did wear a pair of shorts last week that ended up being 2 size smaller than the ones I've been wearing, and same brand, because we know all companies have different sizing. 

So looking forward to adding in some grains on Saturday. Have a great weekend you all and again congrats!!!

Well, the seller didn't like our offer, so the house hunt continues! But that means our finances won't be extra-restricted, so I'm considering going straight into the 90-day Autoimmune Paleo so I can finish it before Thanksgiving. After a few days off, that is. I haven't actually had that much off-plan, besides a few ears of corn freshly grown by one of my husband's coworkers. As for him...his idea of reintroduction was to reintroduce his two most-craved Standard American Diet meals in the same day (a "steak" sandwich and then a burger from two local restaurants, both with cheese and fries and tons of ketchup). He was only able to eat half of the steak sandwich meal for lunch, whereas he used to order that plus some boneless wings and down it all easily. And he also said it didn't taste better to him than the healthy meals we've been eating, which was another nice surprise. He didn't have a problem finishing the burger and fries for dinner, but he had a headache afterwards and suffered some sort of intestinal distress today. And he did mention at dinner that he could try to help me cook during future Whole30s, which is fabulous. Nevertheless, he bought bread, peanut butter, and jelly after work today, but I've given up fighting with a grown man who is fully capable of making his own healthy or unhealthy choices!

Way to go everyone! I haven't really posted much, but I've been following along. I started a few days later, so today is my Day 30. 

My main hope for my Whole 30 was to improve/eliminate my reactive hypoglycemia symptoms. I'm happy to say it's been a success! I haven't "bonked" since Day 4. It took a little while, but once I recovered from that dip without the "help" of sugar/refined starches, I haven't felt the strong compulsion to consume sugar/refined starches that used to be part of my day to day life. I assumed I would have a Frapuccino on Day 31, but that just doesn't sound very appetizing right now. Take that Sugar Dragon!

Giving up dairy for 30 days was deal breaker for me in the past, so I was really surprised that I didn't miss it. I've also noticed less inflammation (especially in old injuries), I'm falling asleep a lot easier, clothes are fitting a little looser,  and my endurance is way up, even in challenging conditions.

I plan to have a non-compliant weekend (nothing too overboard, but more than reintroduction). Starting on Monday, I'll do another 4-7 days of strict W30 (depending on how I feel after the weekend) and then begin slow roll reintroduction. I'm already planning on another W30 in January, after the holidays.

I tend to be a bit cynical and adverse to hyperbole, so I'm cautious about saying something has "changed my life," but this 1st round of W30 has definitely changed my relationship with food for the better.

Looking forward to hearing more about everyone's re-intro experiences.

Congratulations to everyone who finished. I did not quite make it, but it has been an interesting journey and I've enjoyed traveling it with you all.  I am going to go for a new two-week run and use what I've learned to at least stick to a healthier lifestyle here on out.    Hope to continue to see you all around the forum.

On August 16, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Betsie_n said:

• While dairy seems to be the main culprit in my allergy/sinus issues, I'm having some issues right now without dairy so I need to figure out what the cause is. May be simple seasonal allergies, but it may be food related - and I'm afraid I have to investigate high histamine foods and determine if any of those (or some of those) are the culprits. Nuts, tomatoes - oh no!

Bestie, I have the same problem, already don't eat tomatoes and hardly ever eat nuts.  Anything else you can add about high-histamine foods?  I've been wondering about eggs.  I've never heard of that but it makes sense.  I'll see what I can find online too.  You've been a great encourager in this forum.... Thank you!  

Archived