First whole30 starting July 11, 2016!

ms62060

Hello! My name is Michelle and I am starting my first whole30 today! I have wanted to complete a whole30 for months now and am finally ready. I am completing the whole30 alone which will present some difficulties. My boyfriend (avid junk food eater, potato chip lover) is there to support me but made it clear that he will not be following the rules with me. Of course, he will be eating whole30 compliant meals at dinnertime. Anyways, I wanted to post this as my way of officially starting and keeping myself accountable!

Any good tips/tricks/advice are always welcomed!

Cheers to a great 30 days!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome! Congratulations on making the decision to pursue a healthier you!

I 100% feel you on the boyfriend-not-participating bit. Mine hasn't been participating except when I cook dinner and is now experiencing some nasty side effects (every healthy meal we eat, regardless of whether it's out or at home or what type of food we eat, causes sprints to the bathroom). I'm now trying to meet him halfway and cook some things for him that he prefers that don't tempt me. To be honest, Whole30 has been somewhat difficult for our relationship (despite his support), due to some unintended consequences. He's not used to me cooking so much, he hates going to the grocery store, and both of those things are now happening much more than before. If I can give you some tips based on things I wish I'd known at the beginning based on that specific situation...

• Double the prep time a recipe (especially anything in the Whole30 cookbook) gives you. Seriously. Unless you're working in a commercial kitchen as your job and are used to annihilating mountains of prep under the watchful eye and unrealistic expectations of an executive chef/restaurant manager... This caused some grumbling when dinner was waaaaayyyy late because I planned what the book told me to plan in terms of time.
  • Stock up some things he loves that won't tempt you. This will add some balance for him so that he doesn't feel confined by the rules he didn't decide on his own to follow.
  • Research a handful of restaurants in your area and know which ones can make you a tasty Whole30-compliant meal. We're already sick of Chipotle (order a carnitas bowl with pico de gallo, medium or hot salsa, guac, and extra lettuce), and I'm struggling to find more that can a) answer my questions about how things are cooked and b.) meet Whole30 expectations.
  • Day 10 is hard - ask him to do something nice for you that day and apologize in advance for any extra-moody behavior that day. And set a reminder (mine forgot).

I hope these help. You can do this! :)

My name is Kay and I'm also starting my first Whole30 today! Like you, I've been thinking about doing it for months and now that I'm finally taking the plunge, I find myself doing it on my own. My boyfriend is wonderful and supportive but he won't be strictly following the rules of the Whole30, although he'll eat the main meals with me (for which I'm very grateful!). 

Overall, I'm most intimidated by breakfast! I don't love eggs and generally don't like to have a lot of meat for breakfast. Most recipes I find like chia pudding, alternative oatmeals, etc. seem to be comprised of Whole30 ingredients but are apparently against the spirit of the Whole30... Uh-oh!!

Anyway, good luck to all of us! This will be a worthwhile journey, albeit not an easy one!  

Hi all. Also starting today. Have wanted to do a sugar free month for a while and then saw Whole30 and thought I might as well go the whole way. Feeling excited but also a bit daunted by the challenge. Also have luke warm support at home as my partner is questioning 'why all these rules'. Let's see. Great to know there are others starting today too! Good luck to all. Martin

Good luck to all! You're starting in a good spot by forming a group of people who are starting at about the same time. The Strength in Numbers thread - my "home" thread created by another user for those starting June 18-22 - has been incredibly helpful for me - it's a one-stop shop for inspiration, commiseration, support, NSVs... :)

Hi all,

I am starting today as well.  This is actually my 3rd attempt after 2 previously failed attempts.  I was just flat out not eating enough.  I am a big guy and realized that I just need to CONSUME a lot of the good stuff.  Do not make this about portion control... 

Looking forward to starting with this group.  Lets keep each other motivated.

@kirbz I started looking at my meals as "meal 1, meal 2, meal 3" instead of "breakfast, lunch, dinner" and it has helped me think of different ideas for breakfast that isn't just bacon and eggs. I will often eat leftovers, soup or just chicken and veggies for breakfast! Lately I have been obsessed with this summer squash soup recipe by Juli Bauer at paleomg.com that I am eating for breakfast. It uses bone broth which has a good amount of protein in it so it is light for a first meal but also filling. My coworkers eye me funny because of my lack of "breakfast-y breakfasts" but you gotta do what works for you!

I am glad to read that there are others in the same boat as I am. Good luck everyone! Let me know how your first day and/or week goes!

Today was my first day too - I think my biggest struggle is going to be eating enough to stop me feeling hungry.  I am on a very limited budget so the amount of food I can buy is limited too.  I am 8 stone overweight so my body is used to a huge amount of calories to keep it going. Was interested to read what andysousa said about not making this about portion control but am concerned that I will get half way through the week and have already eaten the whole week's food!!

Anyway - good luck to all you other July 11 starters :)  I am going to eat some more protein and go to bed now :)

Hi folks!

I'm starting today too.  A friend and I are supporting each other IRL, but I thought I'd check in here too because you can never have too much help.

I don't have any immediate health concerns, but after four kids I'm about 40 lbs. overweight.  Heart disease, diabetes and cancer run in my family and being overweight can be a risk factor in developing these issues.  I want to head them off at the pass by getting as healthy as I can before I turn 40 in two years.  

I purchased a workout schedule from FitnessBlender.com and will be doing the videos daily.  

On a funny note, my son and husband have become obsessed with this new Pokemon Go game.  The kids were begging to go on a walk at 8 am this morning to catch imaginary critters!  So I'm closing in on 12,000 steps on my FitBit.  Who knew a funny kids phone app could help me meet my fitness goals!

Hi everyone!

I am starting today as well! This is my second whole30. I finished one at the end if April and felt great! I have reverted to a few of my bad habits so thought a 2nd whole30 would help me get back on track. My husband is supportive but does not want to follow all the rules. He does most of the cooking so I usually eat something different than the rest of the family. He is good about cooking fish or leaving out some scrambled beef for me to use when he is making tacos or spaghetti for the kids. But most of the time I fix something for myself.

My struggle is night time. I want to snack. Last time I just went yo bed when I felt the need to snack so.net I may just stick with that method. Also, I have to travel a good bit this month so that will be interesting! UGH!

Good luck to you all! We can do this!

Hi. MaryBeth here. Started today as well! This is my first Whole30. I have let an occasional treat become a daily habit so hoping to reset and refocus to start feeling better. Day 1 down - if I could do it today, I can do it tomorrow too. :) Best.

Today was my first day too - I think my biggest struggle is going to be eating enough to stop me feeling hungry.  I am on a very limited budget so the amount of food I can buy is limited too.  I am 8 stone overweight so my body is used to a huge amount of calories to keep it going. Was interested to read what andysousa said about not making this about portion control but am concerned that I will get half way through the week and have already eaten the whole week's food!!

Anyway - good luck to all you other July 11 starters :)  I am going to eat some more protein and go to bed now :)

This can get very costly... especially adding in all the raw nuts.  I went into Market Basket last night and came out with a $50 bill just on some veggies and nuts.  I am sure there are ways to keep the cost down, but it is will be expensive.

One way to look at this... that $50 should hold me over a for a few days.  Going to dinner just once will cost you almost that.  The grocery bills are going to go up, there is no doubt about that, but remember all the money you are saving from going out to eat or even worse the health bills down the road.  Its all relative.  Good luck and EAT A LOT!  Remember that fruits and veggies have a much lower calorie count than a bagel and pizza.  Your body needs those calories if you want to succeed.

So Day 1 done. Seems to have been OK. We had a visitor staying and still managed to stick to the rules without her feeling she was on a health farm. No day 2 'hangover' this morning .... At least not yet.

Day 1 success! I woke up this morning to a killer headache. I tried to still get my workout in but it was too much with a pounding head so I laid back down for a bit before getting ready for work. I took some Tylenol (I read on the forum that Tylenol was ok to take) and that has helped a bit but I still feel my headache lingering. I can't be sure if it is from the "hangover" as they explained in the timeline or other factors. Regardless, I hope it goes away soon!

I hope everyone has a great Day 2!

Not sure on the conversion, but I started at about 90-100 lbs overweight (target range is 135-145 lbs). I can easily put down - or could have, pre-Whole30 - an entire pizza by myself, pint of ice cream, etc. I'm also in a similar place from a budget standpoint.

If I can offer some advice... take some time to peruse the produce section at your grocery store. Better yet, see if there's a farmer's market in your area (farmer's market will often have better prices and products). There are some vegetables that are very cost-effective - some of your starchier ones, plus different types of squash, celery, etc. It'll depend on your area, but also learn what's in season and target those things, as the price will naturally fall when the supply is plentiful. For example... asparagus is "special-occasion" expensive much of the year for me, but right now, it's $1.50/lb. I can get a sizable bunch for a great price, chop it up, and throw it in omelets or other dishes to add to my meals in an easy way.

I've also learned to stay stocked up on frozen veggies, which can often be as cost-effective as fresh ones. Having enough fat in your meals is also a key to not being hungry all the time, and ghee and mayo get expensive FAST. Make your own clarified butter to save costs here while having enough fat in your meals.

I hope these tips help! I haven't found myself getting hungry until meal time.

I started yesterday, too. Just joined the forum today. I am experiencing the Day 2 hangover. Yikes, headache, nausea, feel horrible (called in sick to work.) Feeling this crappy makes me not want to go back to my old habits and have to start this over!

I don't love to cook so the 7 day meal plan they provided really intimidated me. I finally realized I don't have to follow it exactly.

I have a supportive family, they will follow Whole30 with me, but not as closely. They can cook for themselves if they don't like what I'm preparing. Looking onward to this journey. I know feeling good, energetic and losing weight will all be worth it! Getting off the path of destroying my health is exhilarating!

Hi everyone. I also started yesterday. I am excited about the journey but 1 day in and I realize so many of my seasonings have forbidden additives. I am going it alone and will not be joined by my husband and 2 boys. I am hoping to see an increase in my energy level, reduction in my waist line and an improvement to or elimination of my snoring. 1 day in and I've already learned a lot about additives.

Abbie B

Hi everyone! I too started my whole30 yesterday July 11. My husband will participate part time, so he says. I am really excited to have started this program. In the last 2 years I have put on 20 pounds, I blame it  all on menopause and I have exercise on and off thru the years. I have always consider myself a healthy eater but I never realized how much sugar we consumed on a daily bases. Today I drank black coffee for the first time ever. Not Bad! I do have a slight headache though but definitively not hungry. Cant wait to see what this will do in 30 days. Good Luck everyone!

My name is Kay and I'm also starting my first Whole30 today! Like you, I've been thinking about doing it for months and now that I'm finally taking the plunge, I find myself doing it on my own. My boyfriend is wonderful and supportive but he won't be strictly following the rules of the Whole30, although he'll eat the main meals with me (for which I'm very grateful!). 

Overall, I'm most intimidated by breakfast! I don't love eggs and generally don't like to have a lot of meat for breakfast. Most recipes I find like chia pudding, alternative oatmeals, etc. seem to be comprised of Whole30 ingredients but are apparently against the spirit of the Whole30... Uh-oh!!

Anyway, good luck to all of us! This will be a worthwhile journey, albeit not an easy one!  

Breakfast is my struggle, too!!!  I was literally salivating at my daughter's Golden Grahams this morning.   Today is my day 2.  I was thinking coconut flakes, almond butter, bananas, and berries mixed up if I am short on time.

Hi!  I'm on Day 2, as well! I did one Whole 30 last summer.  I lost 15 lbs and got pregnant with my 3rd child (we had been trying for 2 years.) I'm back after a beautiful baby boy and really hoping to do a Whole 60 this time and really change my habits and lifestyle. 

I prepped a ton of veggies yesterday, which seemed to take forever.  I'm hoping with more time and experience I will be able to think less about food.  I feel like it's the only thing going through my brain right now!!

I've had a headache as well but survived through Day 2. It's been eye opening to see what is added to foods. I thought I was a good label reader but had no idea there was added sugar in my bacon and sausage even those I purchased from the farmers' market.  l searched for a quite a while to try to figure out if I could eat lunch at Panera (I think I can with some care). Hope that stuff gets easier with time.

Hi All!

I started yesterday too! Day 1 and 2 have gone fine - the black coffee is not as awful as I thought it might be. My 19 year-old daughter is home from college and is doing the Whole30 with me. The big challenge for me is getting back in the swing of cooking every night - it's the last thing I want to do after a long day at work. In the past year, we had fallen into the bad habit of getting take-out several times a week, and I personally had way too many vanilla latte's for an afternoon pick-me-up. The key for success for me will be about adjusting priorities and getting organized ahead of time. It seemed a bit overwhelming Sunday night as we prepared for the week, but so far, so good! I'm looking forward to the "Tiger Blood" phase, with more energy and focus.

Wish everyone here great success over the next few weeks!!!

I've had a headache as well but survived through Day 2. It's been eye opening to see what is added to foods. I thought I was a good label reader but had no idea there was added sugar in my bacon and sausage even those I purchased from the farmers' market.  l searched for a quite a while to try to figure out if I could eat lunch at Panera (I think I can with some care). Hope that stuff gets easier with time.

What were you thinking about ordering from Panera? I work there part time and head straight there a few evenings a night after my day job. On those days, I work 15 hour days so I usually get pretty hungry there. Lately, I have been snacking on some smoked turkey (and the occasional piece of bread and pastry) but I saw a post on the "Can I have" forum that said the smoked turkey was off limits. That thread said the only compliant meat is the roasted turkey. I looked on their website after reading that and confirmed. It looks like most of the dressings are off limits too. The only one that is potentially ok is the greek dressing but it still had a lot of ingredients in it that I weren't sure of.

Let me know! That is something that I am anxious to figure out myself.

Hope everyone has a great Day 03!

Hi everyone. I also started yesterday. I am excited about the journey but 1 day in and I realize so many of my seasonings have forbidden additives. I am going it alone and will not be joined by my husband and 2 boys. I am hoping to see an increase in my energy level, reduction in my waist line and an improvement to or elimination of my snoring. 1 day in and I've already learned a lot about additives.

Abbie B

What seasonings are you finding have a lot of additives? Your post made me double check my spices but they don't list any ingredients so not sure about mine! I know I have to be careful with some blends but wasn't sure about like, granulated garlic, etc.

Archived