First whole30 starting July 11, 2016!

ms62060

What seasonings are you finding have a lot of additives? Your post made me double check my spices but they don't list any ingredients so not sure about mine! I know I have to be careful with some blends but wasn't sure about like, granulated garlic, etc.

Read through most of this: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.22

Sounds like, if the only ingredient is what's shown in the name of the product, it's okay if it doesn't have an ingredients list. However, if it's something that you know for a fact does not have only one ingredient (ex: garlic salt, Italian seasoning blend), and it does not have an ingredients list, it's in violation.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure on the conversion, but I started at about 90-100 lbs overweight (target range is 135-145 lbs). I can easily put down - or could have, pre-Whole30 - an entire pizza by myself, pint of ice cream, etc. I'm also in a similar place from a budget standpoint.

If I can offer some advice... take some time to peruse the produce section at your grocery store. Better yet, see if there's a farmer's market in your area (farmer's market will often have better prices and products). There are some vegetables that are very cost-effective - some of your starchier ones, plus different types of squash, celery, etc. It'll depend on your area, but also learn what's in season and target those things, as the price will naturally fall when the supply is plentiful. For example... asparagus is "special-occasion" expensive much of the year for me, but right now, it's $1.50/lb. I can get a sizable bunch for a great price, chop it up, and throw it in omelets or other dishes to add to my meals in an easy way.

I've also learned to stay stocked up on frozen veggies, which can often be as cost-effective as fresh ones. Having enough fat in your meals is also a key to not being hungry all the time, and ghee and mayo get expensive FAST. Make your own clarified butter to save costs here while having enough fat in your meals.

I hope these tips help! I haven't found myself getting hungry until meal time.

Thank you - I hadn't thought about frozen veg  :P  I am in the UK and food is quite expensive - my weekly budget for me and two cats is £40 (about $53) It is the protein that is the most expensive - especially if going for the grass-fed or organic options - a large (1.9k) organic chicken is £12.95 (about $17) It is possible to buy much cheaper meats but I don't like to buy other than free range (personal preference as I care about the meat I eat!) Vegetables are not too bad - a savoy cabbage being just under a dollar and 1k of carrots (not organic) about 60 cents.  For a while I was vegetarian and that was cheaper!  I am just not sure how to get the protein levels up without the meat and fish so have gone back to eating them!  500g of ghee was just under 5 dollars so I will Google how to make my own :)

This can get very costly... especially adding in all the raw nuts.  I went into Market Basket last night and came out with a $50 bill just on some veggies and nuts.  I am sure there are ways to keep the cost down, but it is will be expensive.

One way to look at this... that $50 should hold me over a for a few days.  Going to dinner just once will cost you almost that.  The grocery bills are going to go up, there is no doubt about that, but remember all the money you are saving from going out to eat or even worse the health bills down the road.  Its all relative.  Good luck and EAT A LOT!  Remember that fruits and veggies have a much lower calorie count than a bagel and pizza.  Your body needs those calories if you want to succeed.

$50 is my entire week's food budget for me and my two cats! LOL.  However - if I am honest about the amount I would spend on binge-eating that would push me over that total by at least another $15.  I am in the UK and find that the protein foods are the most expensive - especially as I find it morally impossible to buy cheap, factory farmed meat or fish  :( Thank you for your encouragement though  :)

What seasonings are you finding have a lot of additives? Your post made me double check my spices but they don't list any ingredients so not sure about mine! I know I have to be careful with some blends but wasn't sure about like, granulated garlic, etc.

MS62060: I was fond of a Greek seasoning that can be found in most grocery chains and I discovered that it has corn starch, msg, and corn soy protein. I like spicy Creole seasonings as well and my favorite says in bold letters "may contain wheat, soy, or milk." Yikes! So, I have made my own all-purpose seasonings by blending single spices (onion powder, garlic powder, basil, oregano, etc.). I have a separate one that I added Cayanne pepper to so my craving for spicy is satisfied. I also have Mrs. Dash but I don't like that on everything.

My biggest challenges: (1) I really enjoy a glass of wine 2-3 times a week; (2) night time snacking; and (3) inconsistent exercise routine. At only 5 feet tall, 10 extra pounds make me look chunky and my clothes don't fit well. I turned 52 in May and I hormonal changes are also making it more difficult for me to maintain my ideal weight as easily as I once did.

I did not have the headache others complained of yesterday but I have it today. I guess that's a good sign of the body detoxing.

Confession time! I'm supposed to be on Day Three and I've been failing miserably! I ate ice cream I found in my freezer the first night (I cleaned out the pantry but apparently forgot the freezer!) and I didn't have time for meal prep last night so I ordered a salad for lunch that had non-compliant bacon, dressing and cheese!

Perhaps some public shame and/or encouragement is needed!? Help?

How is everyone else doing that was scheduled to start this week? 

Congrats to those who have been sticking with it! You guys are amazing and I have all the more respect for you now that I'm trying it! 

Confession time! I'm supposed to be on Day Three and I've been failing miserably! I ate ice cream I found in my freezer the first night (I cleaned out the pantry but apparently forgot the freezer!) and I didn't have time for meal prep last night so I ordered a salad for lunch that had non-compliant bacon, dressing and cheese!

Congrats to those who have been sticking with it! You guys are amazing and I have all the more respect for you now that I'm trying it!

Do not beat yourself up to hard! Tomorrow is a new day! Changing you eating habits is really hard. I have to keep reminding myself that it is only 30 days. When I eat out (like I did today), I ask alot of questions. I also get oil and vinegar as dressing if available.

After a week or so, you just get used to it. I finished my first Whole30 in April and was very pleased with the results but I let some of my old late-night snacking, chocolate and potato chip eating, and beer drinking habits sneak back in.

Round 2 has been easier so far...almost no negative side effects except being very tired tonight. I did eat way too late tonight and I had to work really hard to keep from snacking. I have to travel next week and am nervous about that but as long as I pack some food I will be ok.

You can do this!!

Hello!

I started on July 11th as well. Things are going okay so far, day 3 is done! I was lethargic yesterday and then tossed and turned all night last night. I am having a hard time getting up in the morning, besides weird sleep patterns, I am doing okay food wise....I am scared of getting into a food rut though so I have been reading a lot about different things to cook and make sure the kitchen is stocked.

My boyfriend is not doing it with me, but he is eating what I make and said he supports me 100%. It is sometimes hard to see the cheese he can eat in the fridge....but I am committed!!

Perhaps take time to reflect on why you decided to do this then try it again. Maybe you just weren't ready and that's ok. Kudos to you for being courageous enough to openly admit that it didn't go well.

Day 3 went fairly well but I got busy at work and did not timely eat meal 2 so that pushed meal 3 later into the evening than I should be eating. I'm trying to use what I have that is compliant as much as possible. I did not buy any meat for breakfast so I slightly defrosted a tube of ground turkey from my freezer, cut it into slices and seasoned the slices with Italian herbs, onion and garlic powder and salt and pepper. I pan seared all of the slices in a little olive oil and ate a few slices for breakfast with bananas, blueberries and strawberries. It tasted like the pre made breakfast sausage patties. I refrigerated the rest to use for breakfast for the next few mornings. That was my biggest food accomplishment today.

Hope it's going well for everyone else.

Morning all! Starting Day 4 feeling good. That's despite a really weird nights sleep. No dreams of pancakes but still strange. 7.15 work meeting didn't help. I managed to bypass the non Whole30 breakfast options though and kept to the program. Have a great day all

• Administrators

We don't shame here, there's no moral value in the food you eat.  That said, you sought out ice cream and then got a spoon, opened the container and ate it.  Examine what happened before, during and how you can take steps to resolve that for your next try.  Same with the salad, take a think around what happened.

Check out some pre-cooking resources both here on the forum and the internet. Google "Whole30 cookup" or "Whole30 precooking" for lots of ideas and plans.  In less than 2 hours on a weekend day you can make enough protein to last a week and then every couple of days roast or steam some new veggies.  It's not super interesting but it gets the job done!

Hi everyone! I started my first whole30 on July 11th as well. I felt just awful the first 2 days. After reading your posts, I see that it was "The Hangover", lol. I had suspicions, but didn't really know. I've been struggling all week with a few things that many of you mentioned: 1) eating very late due to underestimating the prep time, 2) hubby is only on board "part time" ie: for dinner, 3) by Wednesday, I had run out of veggies to cook with. I figured I'd make chili tonight and waited until dinner time to double check the recipe real quick. I was dismayed to see that I'm supposed to put bell peppers in! Turns out, I used them all last night. Bummer. We're having chili without bell peppers tonight.

One way I was able to convince hubby that Whole30 is a good thing, and not Atkins, was to make him think it was all his idea...."YOU told me I should be eating healthy." There really isn't any way to say that the Whole30 isn't healthy eating! It worked, he's being much more supportive of this than he was when I used to do Atkins (which, by the way, stopped working).

I've had a very rough and emotional 2 years battling infertility and coming out on the losing end of IVF. After all the hormones and terrible eating habits I developed, I'm really counting on this resetting my life and getting me back into the shape I'm more used to being in. I've gained 30 pounds these past 2 years and it is VERY uncomfortable, to say the least.

Best wishes to us all! It won't be easy, but the best rewards never are!

Hey folks! I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Sara, and I also started my first Whole30 on July 11, just a little late getting to the forums! 

Reading all of your comments has already been so helpful! It's nice to have folks who are in the same place as you. My fiance started out saying he would only be participating "part-time" as well, but so far he has actually stayed Whole30 compliant the whole time! I am about 40lbs overweight for my size, have migraines, joint pain, allergies, trouble sleeping etc. My hope is at the end of my Whole30 I will be able to discern how certain foods effect me and be able to make the decisions that are healthiest for my body. The love of my life is dairy, and ice-cream is my world. For me, I know giving up dairy is going to be the most difficult part of this whole journey. Been trying to jot a few things down about each day, here are some observations so far:

Day 1 - I could not get full. I ate the entire day and my body still wanted more food. Probably because I wasn't getting the food I was craving! 

Day 2 - The headaches began. I barely got any sleep. However, I was able to feel full on my 3 meals and a snack. This would be so much easier if I had a dishwasher.

Day 3 - My whole body hurt. Apples and almond butter = <3 For some reason, this combination is the most satisfying food so far. Today I learned that kombucha tea is not meant to be shaken before opening. Also - I apparently looooove kombucha. I was incredibly restless and had a very short attention span by the end of the day. I would give anything for a glass of milk. Sleep isn't even an option. 

Day 4 - This was my first day off work since starting. It's much harder for me to stay focused when I'm at home apparently. Went to the grocery store without a list because I only needed "a few things". I was so distracted in the store by all the food I couldn't have that I kept forgetting what few things I needed, and ended up having to go to three stores because I continually forgot something at the last. Bought a food processor. Rage broke it on accident putting the cover on. Returned it, got a new one, made sure to eat before I assembled it. Made homemade nut butter. It is the nectar of the gods, and I highly recommend it. If anyone is interested, I made this recipe for Macademia Coconut Cashew Butter. Slept for 10 hours. 

Today I woke up feeling like I was hit by a truck, but I think that's mostly because I slept so hard. I found some organic salsa and marinara sauce at the grocery store yesterday that are compliant, and I am excited to try them. I plan on making coconut curry chicken with cauliflower rice tonight. 

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experiences and being a support network for each other! I would also love to share/swap recipes if anyone comes across anything that was super successful for them. :) 

I've had a headache as well but survived through Day 2. It's been eye opening to see what is added to foods. I thought I was a good label reader but had no idea there was added sugar in my bacon and sausage even those I purchased from the farmers' market.  l searched for a quite a while to try to figure out if I could eat lunch at Panera (I think I can with some care). Hope that stuff gets easier with time.

What were you thinking about ordering from Panera? I work there part time and head straight there a few evenings a night after my day job. On those days, I work 15 hour days so I usually get pretty hungry there. Lately, I have been snacking on some smoked turkey (and the occasional piece of bread and pastry) but I saw a post on the "Can I have" forum that said the smoked turkey was off limits. That thread said the only compliant meat is the roasted turkey. I looked on their website after reading that and confirmed. It looks like most of the dressings are off limits too. The only one that is potentially ok is the greek dressing but it still had a lot of ingredients in it that I weren't sure of.

Let me know! That is something that I am anxious to figure out myself.

Hope everyone has a great Day 03!

Hi ms62060! Best that I can tell from research and actually finding a post on the forum, steak and roast turkey for meats at Panera are okay but I guess you should actually check at the location. I will probably start with the seasonal green salad and just add to it. I read in my search the squeezed lemon juice isn't bad on a salad so I guess that will be my dressing of choice if I don't bring my own. I do like ordering at the kiosks so I can customize what I want :) but I am thinking eating at Panera may be best for after the Whole30. PS. I think the Greek Dressing has soy so I assume it is out. 

Hello all! I am really struggling with energy. I went for a bike ride on Thursday and as soon as I started I knew I was in trouble. I ended up passing on today's ride as I didn't want to slow the group down and I felt pretty light headed (like a head cold) when I woke up. I am trying the WO meals but haven't figured it out - is anyone else succeeding here? I am hoping to feel better by the next ride.

On the plus side, I am finding it almost liberating to know I can't have something. No more should I or shouldn't I. I had been doing the 5-6 meals so thought cutting back to 3 would be really hard but so far so good. I've enjoyed cooking some different things; the riced cauliflower was really nice and I would have never tried it otherwise. All in all, I am finding the food part easier than I thought I would. Guess I just need to get to the part when it kicks in! Have a good rest of the weekend.

Day 7.

Headaches, exhaustion, feeling like I'm always hungry, even after I eat. I guess veggies don't satiate very well yet. Hopefully soon.

It's so hot, and the sugar cravings are creeping back in after being non-existent for the past 3-4 days. I'm just certain a brownie with ice cream would make me feel more full and satisfied. :angry:

This is harder than I thought. I question whether I'm eating enough calories. How to know if we're not supposed to be counting? Could be the reason for the headaches and tiredness?

• Administrators

Day 7.

Headaches, exhaustion, feeling like I'm always hungry, even after I eat. I guess veggies don't satiate very well yet. Hopefully soon.

It's so hot, and the sugar cravings are creeping back in after being non-existent for the past 3-4 days. I'm just certain a brownie with ice cream would make me feel more full and satisfied. :angry:

This is harder than I thought. I question whether I'm eating enough calories. How to know if we're not supposed to be counting? Could be the reason for the headaches and tiredness?

Veggies aren't what satiate, you'd be looking to fat and protein for that. 

Sugar cravings can be caused by lack of suitable nutrition, for sure, as can headaches and exhaustion.  Would you post a couple days of typical eating including portion sizes, timing, fluids, exercise and sleep? We can take a look and see if there is anything that stands out.

• Administrators

Hello all! I am really struggling with energy. I went for a bike ride on Thursday and as soon as I started I knew I was in trouble. I ended up passing on today's ride as I didn't want to slow the group down and I felt pretty light headed (like a head cold) when I woke up. I am trying the WO meals but haven't figured it out - is anyone else succeeding here? I am hoping to feel better by the next ride.

Having decreased performance in an athletic capacity at the beginning of a Whole30 is pretty standard as your body switches from relying on carbohydrates and learns how to access fat stores or, becomes fat adapted.  This improves around 10-14 days, typically.

The pre and post workout meals are in addition to your regular meals. We recommend pre workout as protein and fat (about half a regular meal sized amount) and post workout as lean protein and starchy veggie (this is about regular meal sized amount).  What are you having trouble figuring out? Timing? Composition?  Let us take a look and help you out! 

Hello, all!

It has been a few days since I posted an update so I wanted to share how my whole30 has been going. So far, so good! Last week was a lot easier than I had expected. I was able to go out to eat on Friday and got a whole30 compliant meal which was a nice experience. I got a garden salad with grilled ahi tuna. I asked them to cook it as plain as possible (no seasoning, no dairy, etc.) and I brought my own salad dressing (Tessamae's Ranch) to add to it. I had a lot of anxiety even thinking about going out to eat but I made it work which was a win in my book!

My biggest struggle this past weekend was with snacking. When I was at home, my boyfriend snacked endlessly and it just made me want to snack too! I had to fight the urge. I did have a few cashews before dinner and some cherries after dinner but I didn't overeat like I usually would and had a delicious whole30 approved dinner.

So far this week has gone well. I spent Sunday meal prepping and feel like I cooked all day long between that and cooking lunch and dinner for that day. Luckily I really enjoy cooking. I did have a hard time figuring out what I wanted to eat all week and finding recipes. I got a lot of delicious looking jalapenos from the farmers market and need to figure out what to do with them! If anyone has any good whole30 recipes, let me know!

I am definitely a little bloated today, as the timeline says could be expected. I am not looking forward to potential strong cravings as I know they will come in the form of sweets which is the hardest food group for me to say no to. But I have made it this far and have a strong determination to get to the end!

Hope everyone else's whole30 is going well!

So far this week has gone well. I spent Sunday meal prepping and feel like I cooked all day long between that and cooking lunch and dinner for that day. Luckily I really enjoy cooking. I did have a hard time figuring out what I wanted to eat all week and finding recipes. I got a lot of delicious looking jalapenos from the farmers market and need to figure out what to do with them! If anyone has any good whole30 recipes, let me know!

I am definitely a little bloated today, as the timeline says could be expected. I am not looking forward to potential strong cravings as I know they will come in the form of sweets which is the hardest food group for me to say no to. But I have made it this far and have a strong determination to get to the end!

For the cravings... the thing that helped me the most was really taking a moment to think about how hard I'd worked, even in just the first few days, and refusing to toss that down the drain. Also... I noticed early on that eating fruit awakened a need to eat more sugar in me, so I cut out the fruit except for about once a week.

For the jalapenos... Yummy! Track down some Whole30-friendly bacon and make these (plenty to eat yourself over a few days or to share):

Bacon Jalapeno Poppers

15 slices of bacon

5 chicken tenders

4 jalapenos

•            Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (you can also grill these, and they are DELICIOUS that way).

•            Cut the tenders into thirds (normally about 2" long and 1" wide).

•            Cut the jalapenos into quarters (long, thin pieces) and remove seeds.

•            Wrap a chicken piece around a jalapeno slice (you'll have one extra jalapeno slice).

•            Roll the chicken/jalapeno piece up in a strip of bacon.

•            Use a toothpick to hold the bacon, chicken, and jalapeno in place (make a point of also piercing the jalapeno).

•            Once all are rolled, put on a baking sheet and put in the oven.

•            Bake 15-17 minutes (variances based on oven), turn 180 degrees, bake for another 15-17 minutes. When they're done, the bacon will look fully cooked and the jalapeno that's visible might have some brown on it.

These are flavorful and juicy - they really don't need anything else to go with them - though you'll need to add in more veggies on the side.

@ladyshanny - I've been eating either 1 -2 scrambled eggs with home made salsa and ground beef with about 1/4 of an avocado for breakfast.  Lunch is sometimes a small salad (no meat), sometimes leftovers, sometimes I skip it (i've never been a big lunch eater and my activity level is total chill right now as I'm on vaca, so I don't feel my  body asking for it). Dinners I've been making using the Whole 30 book I just purchased. Last night we did the stir fry which was SO good! I've been grilling a lot of chicken.  Today I added coconut cream to my coffee. I couldn't find it on the list of no-no's, but coconut milk is allowed and the can said that the cream has more fat than the milk. I thought that might help?  I'm drinking about 6 - 8oz glasses of water a day. I gave up the seltzer because of the gas. I'm surprised, actually, that I'm still as gassy as I am. I'm trying a little "refrain" from the bell peppers, as I have a suspicion they are the cause, but I'm not sure yet.

Thanks for your advice!  Oh- and the headaches have disappeared (thank God!). But I'm still sluggish and having trouble finding the energy to exercise. I still want some things - like ice cream and brownies - but not enough to kill for them. Lol. I had a dream last night that I was eating at a paleo lunch counter and all they had were sandwiches! I don't feel guilty at all about my dream-self digging into that bread! I think I'm in a stage of missing bread/crackers. :(  I suppose this, too, shall pass.

Just wish I had some more energy. I know you may say I should eat more, but I honestly am. not. hungry. at. all.  I don't think I could eat right now if I had to!

• Administrators

@ladyshanny - I've been eating either 1 -2 scrambled eggs with home made salsa and ground beef with about 1/4 of an avocado for breakfast.  Lunch is sometimes a small salad (no meat), sometimes leftovers, sometimes I skip it (i've never been a big lunch eater and my activity level is total chill right now as I'm on vaca, so I don't feel my  body asking for it). Dinners I've been making using the Whole 30 book I just purchased. Last night we did the stir fry which was SO good! I've been grilling a lot of chicken.  Today I added coconut cream to my coffee. I couldn't find it on the list of no-no's, but coconut milk is allowed and the can said that the cream has more fat than the milk. I thought that might help?  I'm drinking about 6 - 8oz glasses of water a day. I gave up the seltzer because of the gas. I'm surprised, actually, that I'm still as gassy as I am. I'm trying a little "refrain" from the bell peppers, as I have a suspicion they are the cause, but I'm not sure yet.

Thanks for your advice!  Oh- and the headaches have disappeared (thank God!). But I'm still sluggish and having trouble finding the energy to exercise. I still want some things - like ice cream and brownies - but not enough to kill for them. Lol. I had a dream last night that I was eating at a paleo lunch counter and all they had were sandwiches! I don't feel guilty at all about my dream-self digging into that bread! I think I'm in a stage of missing bread/crackers. :(  I suppose this, too, shall pass.

Just wish I had some more energy. I know you may say I should eat more, but I honestly am. not. hungry. at. all.  I don't think I could eat right now if I had to!

The template is the minimum amount of food a person needs to be alive. A garden salad with no protein isn't sufficient, nor (obv) is skipping lunch. I would not at all trust your body signals at this time, especially if they are telling you that 1 or 2 eggs and a quarter avocado is enough food for you at a meal.  Plate up a template meal, eat as much of it as you can and then pack it up to take with you and eat from as soon as you are able.  Lack of eating caused by lack of appetite brings about lack of eating which perpetuates lack of appetite.  You are suffering the symptoms of being under-fed and under nourished (headaches, lethargy, cravings).  

Also, our recommendation for water is 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight. Your current consumption is perfect for a 96# person. If you weigh more than that, you need to up your water consumption.

@ladyshanny - I've been eating either 1 -2 scrambled eggs with home made salsa and ground beef with about 1/4 of an avocado for breakfast.  Lunch is sometimes a small salad (no meat), sometimes leftovers, sometimes I skip it (i've never been a big lunch eater and my activity level is total chill right now as I'm on vaca, so I don't feel my  body asking for it). 

Just to add to ladyshanny's excellent advice... I was never one to eat breakfast, but now I am, and I won't be going back to the no-breakfast-Staggolee41. I am more alert and energetic through the day. My quality of work has increased. My muscles recover more effectively in the morning after I do something taxing. I wake up more easily.

To be frank, I did have to force myself to eat a handful of times (mostly breakfast and lunch) during the plan, but it was rare, and I did it because I knew my body needed the nutrition. Remember that the signals you brought with you into this plan have been influenced by so many more things than nature (environment, advertising, different hormone levels, social pressure, etc). Once I got through those few times, I started feeling hungry at the right times, and I had better days the times I forced myself to eat than I would have if I hadn't eaten. Your body might not be asking for it, but your body also isn't experiencing tiger blood, is it?

Remember we've been there before, you are not alone, and this isn't an easy task, but you're doing the right thing by reaching out for help. You *can* do this, and you *are* worth it!

Archived