Wine

sstrayer

Husband and I went out to a very nice restaurant last night.  We tried to stay as compliant as possible ----but relaxing the "no added sugar rule" for dressings etc. We had calimari sauteed in olive oil and spices for an appetizer, I had a warm spinach salad that had bacon and onions and a dressing that tasted sweet, a filet mignon (specified no butter to the waiter), sauteed brocolli (again no butter),  I also had 2 glasses of white wine.  I didn't knowingly reintroduce anything during this meal, although I had 2 glasses of wine when I've usually only been having 1 glass whenever I do have wine.  I slept horribly and tossed and turned last night because I was so hot!  We always keep the house cool at night but even with the temperature down, I was so hot all night and couldn't sleep.  Could it have been the wine that did that to me?  Just trying to figure out what I did wrong......

• Moderators

Here is the deal. You don't know what you ate last night. You don't know what oil the meat was cooked with. You don't know the ingredients within the dressings you ate. You don't know the ingredients that may have been added to the calamari, broccoli, etc. You do know that you drank two glasses of wine. Maybe it was the wine. Maybe it was something else you don't know about. Maybe it was a combination of things. And maybe your poor sleep and feeling hot did not have anything to do with what you ate for dinner. Our bodies are complex enough to feel hot and disturb sleep independent of our last meal. I would not worry much about this incident. 

Okay thank you for the feedback. I guess I'll just be happy I was able to have a nice night out without having any major digestive problems etc. And I need to remember your points for next time I go out....that even though it seems like I'm making good food choices, I'll never really know what kind of stuff restaurants put in their foods. That's just a risk I have to assume whenever I decide to go out to eat, I guess. Good thing I never went out to eat while I was doing my strict whole30!

I don't think he was being overly mean on purpose.

but he is right, it could have been anything.  see how you react next time you have two glasses of wine, with a different meal, in a different restraunt.

If you do really want to know what you're eating, then ask before you order.  If they're not cooking with the same ingredients that they tell you they are, then there's not much you can do about that.  but if they tell you it's all none compliant, then you can take your custom elsewhere. 

I have had nights like yours, excessive sweating, and I do usually put it down to alcohol as the factor (I'm not saying it is, in your case, but it could be).

not sure if confirmation bias is at play here, but the nights I remember sweating lots have either been when ill, or after large amounts of alcohol.

If you've given it up for a while, then a smaller amount will have more of an effect on you as well.

Archived