Horrible breath?

I am on day 21 and my husband has remarked on several occasions that my breath is absolutely horrific and offensive. After some searching in this forum and online, it seems the most likely culprits are ketosis and acetone breath from the over-consumption of protein? I dont think either of these are possible culprits, but over the last few days, I have increased my starchy veggie consumption to two per day and my husband said it hasn't helped. I am a nursing mamma to an almost 2 year old, so I figured I could use the extra starchy veggie because he still nurses 4 to 6 times in a 24 hour period.  I follow the meal template fairly strictly so I don't think I am lacking or overdoing it in terms of protein or plant based starches/carbs.  I feel great and want to continue with a very slow reintroduction of just a few things but my husband said he can barely tolerate the next 9 days and he is looking forward to me eating "normally" and my bad breath issue resolving ASAP. Any suggestions ? I really would like to make this way of eating a lifestyle and the breath issue is the only impediment for me.

• Administrators

I am on day 21 and my husband has remarked on several occasions that my breath is absolutely horrific and offensive. After some searching in this forum and online, it seems the most likely culprits are ketosis and acetone breath from the over-consumption of protein? I dont think either of these are possible culprits, but over the last few days, I have increased my starchy veggie consumption to two per day and my husband said it hasn't helped. I am a nursing mamma to an almost 2 year old, so I figured I could use the extra starchy veggie because he still nurses 4 to 6 times in a 24 hour period.  I follow the meal template fairly strictly so I don't think I am lacking or overdoing it in terms of protein or plant based starches/carbs.  I feel great and want to continue with a very slow reintroduction of just a few things but my husband said he can barely tolerate the next 9 days and he is looking forward to me eating "normally" and my bad breath issue resolving ASAP. Any suggestions ? I really would like to make this way of eating a lifestyle and the breath issue is the only impediment for me.

Hi,

The most common culprits is ketosis but could also be from dehydration causing dry mouth which allows bacteria to breed.

If would be most helpful if you would outline your last few days of food including portion sizes, specific vegetables/fat types and quantities, fluids, exercise etc.  We can take a look and see if anything stands out.

Thanks so much for the response. I generally walk between 5-7 miles a day and sleep is disrupted with several night time wake-ups since my son does not sleep through the night yet. 

Here's what my days have looked like:

M1 - 3 scrambled eggs cooked in ghee

1/3 of a 6 inch in diameter acorn squash drizzled with some EVOO

1 trader joe's bag of organic spinach, steamed to yield about a cup 

1/2 cup coconut milk in coffee

M2 - 3 turkey meatballs (each a bit smaller than a tennis ball),

1 cup home made complaint marinara

2 cups green beans (steamed)

2 tbsp ghee mixed into marinara after cooking

M3 - 1 and a half boneless skinless chicken thighs cooked into a curry with

1 cup broccoli, 1/2 cup red peppers

Served atop cauli rice with 1-2 tbsp of ghee mixed in after cooking

Yesterday

M1 - Fritatta made with 2 eggs, 1/4 cup ground chicken, asparagus, zucchini, onions, spinach

roasted potatoes with herbs

1/2 cup coconut milk with coffee

M2 - Buffalo chicken spaghetti squash bake (PaleoOMG recipe)

Mixed greens with tomato and cucumber, EVOO and balsamic

M3 - ground turkey with 2 cups of veggies (same as in morning fritatta) with 1-2 tbsp of ghee mixed in after cooking

I practice good oral hygeine and brush and floss twice a day. I have been carrying around mouth wash and using that several times a day as well. I can't tell that my breath smells bad. Also, I never had this issue before W30, and do not have any underlying medical conditions that could be causing this. My husband mentioned bad breath to me the last time I did a W30 in October of 2013, but he doesn't recall it being as severe as it is now.  About a week ago, I ate squash or potato at every meal for 2 or 3 days and my husband said it wasn't as rancid but that he could still smell it. 

• Administrators

So your meals look fine to me. It sounds like it is probably keto-breath.  Can you ask your husband what the smell is? Like acetone/nail polish remover? Or sweet/fruity?  Do you get any funny taste in your mouth after exercise? Metallic in your mouth/back of throat? 

What was your diet like prior to Whole30? Did you eat a lot of carbs/grains?

Does your urine smell really strong? Like ammonia? Are you getting any irritation in your intimate area? These would be signs that you are eating more protein than your body can process. It doesn't look like it to me but every human is different.

I had a very carb/grain heavy diet before and my sugar dragon was fed several times a day before W30. I didn't eat many packaged goods in the sense of crackers, chips, cereal, etc., but I had rice almost every night (a staple in Middle Eastern cuisine), and it was rare for me to have a meal devoid of grains in some form. My breakfast staple was a protein bar of some kind with coffee and milk.

I dont notice any ammonia smell in my urine, and my husband said my breath smells like "Ramadan  breath" (the breath resulting from avoiding all food and liquid from sunrise to sundown in the month of Ramadan. 

• Administrators

Hi LadyShanny, could you explain further the keto breath and the metallic taste in your mouth? I experienced that yesterday.

Is moving your body into Ketosis a good sign? This is what we are trying to do on this program?

I'm so intrigued by keto!

No, ketosis is not the goal of Whole30. We want you to get "fat adapted" which means that your body can smoothly and easily switch between energy sources and that it would prioritize the use of body fat for energy.

Ketosis is sometimes the goal of a certain subsection of folks that do Whole30 but is not recommended for everyone, specifically people who are new to this way of eating, people with metabolic issues, women with hormonal imbalances or women who are not already extremely aware of the small nuances of how their diet impacts their hormonal health.

We recommend that most people start with a fist sized serving of starchy veggie at at least one meal per day. Increase that if you are suffering low energy, low or erratic mood, anxiety/depression, if you are very active or if you are a woman approaching or on your period.

I ordered some keto test strips from Amazon and it turns out I was in Ketosis. I don't know how others feel while in ketosis, but I was really miserable...sluggish, crabby, and just a very odd feeling of unwell/not myself. Had a few servings of white and sweet potatoes since testing Monday night and I am out of ketosis and feeling 100% better!

• Administrators

I ordered some keto test strips from Amazon and it turns out I was in Ketosis. I don't know how others feel while in ketosis, but I was really miserable...sluggish, crabby, and just a very odd feeling of unwell/not myself. Had a few servings of white and sweet potatoes since testing Monday night and I am out of ketosis and feeling 100% better!

Ya, that unsettled, unwell feeling is fairly common if you end up in ketosis.  It is especially common in women.  Glad you are feeling better!

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, Skinny505 said:

Thank you so much for all this info as I too suffer from bad breath form this diet! Fixing me some French fries!

You mean potatoes cut into french fry shape by you and then baked in your own oven right? ;)

Archived