Chiropractor suggested the following

To tack onto this, he is also suggesting a high quality protein shake for the nights that I work late. He suggested this because he doesn't think that I'm getting enough protein in my system to help aid my body in recovery. Would some chicken thighs or something be an even better option? Couple of eggs? Really don't want to get into a protein shake habit. I trust this chiro and know he is trying to help me, but want to stay as close to Whole30 as I can (not drink my meals, etc).

Thanks!

• Moderators

Your body never benefits from supplements nearly as well as from eating a good variety of real, whole foods. You do not need supplements like this unless you are living on crappy food. Eat good protein like beef, bison, fish, liver, pork, chicken, eggs, every day and you should be good. Another good natural option would be bone broth. I have a recipe on my site if you need one.

Protein shakes are convenient, but protein in powder form can't match the overall health benefits of eating real food. You are right that eating some chicken thighs or eggs would beat a shake.

One of the best things I learned from going Paleo was to use a slow cooker to prepare roasts.... spice a roast with salt, garlic powder, and ground cumin, slow cook it for 8 hours, and you've got incredibly tasty, easy food. I slow cook a roast at least once per week and then eat pulled roast beef with meals for a few days at a time. Easy protein!

Thanks. I had a feeling the supplement would be frowned upon. Now what to do with the $25 bottle :( ugh.

I think I'm not eating enough fish, but trying to take the darn fish oil, when I remember. Just want to stop hurting all the time. Crossfit has helped with mobility but too many days in a row and I'm hurting pretty severe. I don't think I can WOD more than 2-3 days in a row, which is fine, just taken me a couple months to figure this out (been WOD'ing since July).

Thanks again Tom!

I have (literally) a stack of herniated discs in my lower back, and basically, after trying to do lots of noninvasive treatments, I wound up doing a series of epidural steroid injections and 6 months of physical therapy. It was life changing and minimally disruptive (I had to have someone drive me to/from injections, but that was the only pain in the neck part Otherwise, it's outpatient). I have minimal problems with it now and then, but that's it.

So, in addition to the above advice with regards to food, I'd personally recommend weighing treatment options that are appropriate for your injury. If it's like mine is/was, the semi-invasive option turned out to be the best choice.

Thanks for your thoughts :) I've done all the different injections as well as participated in a trial study, non of which helped :( doctor suggests biacuplasty (burning of the disc to seal it, i know i have spelljng wrong, lol) however I don't know that I want to do that. So when I started xfit in July, one of the coaches is a chiropractor, he seemed genuine and thought maybe he could help. That's the very short version of this 4 year battle.

Archived