High-oleic sunflower/safflower oil?

TJ1969

Got the following from the Whole30 site:

So, we ban the seed oils specifically off-limits according to the Whole30 “no grains, no legumes” rules (corn oil, rice bran oil, soybean oil, and peanut oil), and encourage you to limit your use of the others (like safflower, sunflower, canola, grapeseed, or sesame) at home, while not specifically excluding them on the program. That means don’t use canola as your primary cooking fat in your own kitchen; there are much healthier choices outlined in our shopping list. But don’t stress about using high-oleic safflower or sunflower oil in your homemade mayo, or eating eggs fried in canola while out to brunch with your friends. See our Guide to Dining Out for more details on how to navigate your way around a restaurant menu (and their cooking oils).

Source: http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

The very next sentence in the link to the article you posted gives the reason why these oils have been deemed as alright: The seeds used to make these oils have been bred to contain more healthy monounsaturated fats and less polyunsaturated fats, making their nutrition profile almost identical to olive oil.

The very next sentence in the link to the article you posted gives the reason why these oils have been deemed as alright: The seeds used to make these oils have been bred to contain more healthy monounsaturated fats and less polyunsaturated fats, making their nutrition profile almost identical to olive oil.

Ahh! I didn't read the embedded mayo link, just the one at the end. Thanks for pointing that out!

Ahh! I didn't read the embedded mayo link, just the one at the end. Thanks for pointing that out!

I was confused by how the poster was saying the link (which was obviously an official Whole30 link) was saying those seed oils were alright. I figured there had to be a reason so I did some digging :) Good info all around!

• 2 weeks later...

So, reading this.. I can use grapeseed oil to make mayo then? My mom, who is a vegan, uses a premade vegan one with grapeseed oil and cooks with it as well. I personally do not see why it is so special but it does make for a very light flavor.

If you don't like the flavor of olive oil mayo, you can use avocado oil or high-oleic sunflower/safflower oil to make your mayo. If grapeseed oil has the same nutritional profile as olive oil, then it'd probably be okay, but otherwise it's still a seed oil and those aren't preferred. 

Nowhere in the article does it say grapeseed oil is allowed (the comments are a different matter and none of the commenters were Melissa or Dallas).

Archived