Need suggestions for alternate fats

I'm starting to plan my first Whole 30 and the thing I'm struggling with most is how to get in enough fats. I don't eat avocado, olives, or mayonnaise which seem to be what most people add to their meals. Any suggestions?

• Moderators

Look for oil-based sauces like chimichurri or pesto type sauces (Google whole30 pesto, traditional pesto has cheese which you'd need to leave out). Nuts are okay to have occasionally. Coconut in any format-- make soups or curries with coconut milk, add toasted coconut flakes into vegetables or salads, coconut oil to cook with or to top a baked sweet potato.

Have you tried homemade mayo? It's not like the store bought stuff, some people who thought they didn't like it find they do like the homemade stuff.

If you're willing to give olives another try, look for castelvetrano olives, they're much milder flavored than other varieties.

You can also choose fattier portions of meat. That's not usually enough to not add any extra, but you might not need to add as much.

You can also use ghee and compliant rendered animal fats (lard, tallow, duck fat, etc.)

Like Shannon said, don't give up on mayo or olives. I love compliant mayo/homemade mayo, but not anything like hellmans or miracle whip. You can also use mayo based dips. So if it's the taste, making ranch or spiced dip. Those make me gag! There are also a lot of variety in olives. Hopefully you'll discover something you like.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Coconut cream.  Fatty meats - US Wellness sells a 75% (maybe 70%) - I bet that makes a darn tasty burger!  Cook with extra fat - I just made pan fried potatoes in duck fat.  I used a tbsp for a pan full... I'm sure 2 tbsp would taste even better!  Canned salmon has a lot of fat (and the bones have lost of minerals!).  Bacon.  Sausage.  Ghee like someone said - if you make your own I think it tastes a little like caramel - delicious on baked/mashed sweet potatoes.  

Archived