Kombucha Observations

I discovered kombucha during my second Whole30 back in April, and had been having an 8oz serving each morning with breakfast since then (because it's amazing, and was totally helping with bathroom regularity - sorry if TMI! :)).

Anyway, since that time, I have gained a fair amount of weight, despite a third Whole30 that closed out in mid-July and eating generally compliant (save the occasional salad dressing or condiment with some sugar - avoided legumes, soy, wheat/grains, and dairy like the plague).

I stopped the kombucha a few days ago because I ran out of it, and didn't have the money to restock on it quite yet. But I've noticed that since that time (less than a week) I have a lot less bloating and my body looks a lot more defined, I get hungry by lunchtime (which I hadn't been, even when eating breakfast at 7:30 and not having lunch break until 1pm). I never noticed a conscious discomfort from drinking kombucha, but I'm wondering if there might be a reason for the change?

An 8 oz serving on the average is 35 cal which is pretty much insignificant or not enough to cause weight gain. Good booch is healing for the gut.  Bloating on booch could be bad bug die off.   Adding booch  is a good trade UP especially when adding sugars back in.

SIBO, fancy name for candida....some don't give fermented foods like booch enough time to do their magic.  AIP/FODMAP people often see improved gut healing with fermented foods. Time is on your side for gut healing but removing the ointment before you see results could result in belly bloat.  Sugars do that that if there's a colony in the gut setting up housekeeping.  Again. 

Could definitely be possible! I feel like I am sensitive to fruits but I also am not sure how much of that is psychological "bad girl don't eat sweet things" nonsense.

It was just very interesting to me to see such a drastic change!

There is nothing at all bad about fruit per se. It could just be that you're sensitive to the sugars in specific fruits since FODMAPs were a bit of an issue for you in the past IIRC. I guess the way to find out is to hold off on the Booch for a day or two & then try it again - maybe one without fruit in the second ferment, and then one with.

Archived