Bad taste in mouth?

• Administrators

An unpleasant (usually mettalic) taste in the mouth can be a result of inadvertently ending up in ketosis. Can you give us a run down on what you've been eating? How's your starchy veggie intake?

I usually eat some sweet potatoes or reg. potatoes at dinner but here is a basic sample of what it has evolved into lately:

meal 1: eggs with ghee and salsa, greens/bell pepper, avocado, maybe leftover meat, fruit, almond milk, coffee

meal 2: greens, chicken or fish (or leftover dinner meat), olive oil & balsamic, whatever grilled or roasted vegs are around (like mushrooms, squash, sometimes potatoes here too). Nuts, sometimes some fruit.

meal 3: love the cauliflower rice, have that alot. Or sauteed shredded brussel sprouts cooked in olive oil and or ghee. Meat or fish with sauce like chimcurri or coconut curry or romesco (my three fave sauces) I also try to throw a handful of greens (spinach and kale) in to the mix. and vegetables like sweet potatoes, or yukon potatoes. Probably about 1/2c-3/4c of the starchy veg depending on if I have the cauliflower. Sometimes some fruit.

So Id guess im having about 1/2-3/4 c of starchy veg a day, and also about 2-3 "servings" of fruit (also about 1/2c) Ive cut way down on the nuts and fizzy water bc I was very bloated for many days and that seems to help. Im better about eating enough at meals now but lately i eat my avocado while i wait for my dinner to cook because Im starving! (lunch is at noon and dinner is usually at 7)

• Administrators

Hmmmm...everyone is different but your meals look good. Is the taste metallic or something else? My next guess is that it might have to do with the quantity of cruciferous veggies you're eating. Could be an issue of them "coming back on you"? 

• 2 weeks later...

@AmyRosina, hi. I am only on Day 5 and I started experiencing the bad taste on Day 3. It is most likely Ketosis, but man, it is unpleasant. Many W30 admins say that they have never heard of this happening. However, if you do a quick google scan, you will find that many people have had this unpleasant side effect. 

The reason I am already in ketosis, is because I don't really like sweet potato's and realized that after I had already gone shopping ; ) 

On the bright side, you burn a ton of fat in ketosis. Downside, the taste and the fact that I feel like I am hallucinating sometimes.

Going back to the store for reg potato's today. This taste is bitter, acrid, metallic, makes eating unenjoyable and is downright awful. 

More potato's and nuts for you. Good luck.

B

• Moderators

@banderbuzz In addition to potatoes, try carrots, beets, turnips, rutabaga, parsnips, winter squashes like acorn, butternut, or kabocha squash, jicama, or pumpkin for starchier vegetables. There are actually lots of options.

Fruit with a meal or two a day would also up your carbs and help to kick you out of ketosis. 

Archived