Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to post last night, our last night but was unexpectedly called into work for an emergency- the kind that happens in healthcare so the only option is to go. I'd already eaten supper when the phone rang. Didn't get home until after 3 a.m.  The evening wrote my NSV post for me. First, it was very good that I'd had no alcohol. I wasn't on call so pre-W30, I'd probably have had a glass of wine or two. I had eaten a template meal at a reasonable time, so I went into work fueled up. It held me through the course of a very stressful night. I got home at 3 a.m. And I confess I was hungry. I didn't have to reach for a junk food reward- cooked chicken with a bit of mayo suited me just fine. Pre W30 I might not have had something good for me so readily available. 

Managing reward eating is part of why I did another W30 and this showed me some real success. Because, really, I'd completed my W30 at midnight and could have had something that was off plan. But I didn't. Other NSV: clothes a better fit,  joint pain improved, and a general sense of well being. I broke up with my scale 4 months ago, I think, so no numbers to report. 

I was going to post last night, our last night but was unexpectedly called into work for an emergency- the kind that happens in healthcare so the only option is to go. I'd already eaten supper when the phone rang. Didn't get home until after 3 a.m.  The evening wrote my NSV post for me. First, it was very good that I'd had no alcohol. I wasn't on call so pre-W30, I'd probably have had a glass of wine or two. I had eaten a template meal at a reasonable time, so I went into work fueled up. It held me through the course of a very stressful night. I got home at 3 a.m. And I confess I was hungry. I didn't have to reach for a junk food reward- cooked chicken with a bit of mayo suited me just fine. Pre W30 I might not have had something good for me so readily available. 

Managing reward eating is part of why I did another W30 and this showed me some real success. Because, really, I'd completed my W30 at midnight and could have had something that was off plan. But I didn't. Other NSV: clothes a better fit,  joint pain improved, and a general sense of well being. I broke up with my scale 4 months ago, I think, so no numbers to report. 

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎28 at 4:12 AM, Bellad said:

It's starting to feel normal to prepare my own food.....  I thought, I'd just as soon eat my own food.... I was shocked at how much money I spent eating out, but also how many risks I was taking over and over. 

Awesome! Really great!

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎28 at 4:12 AM, Bellad said:

It's starting to feel normal to prepare my own food.....  I thought, I'd just as soon eat my own food.... I was shocked at how much money I spent eating out, but also how many risks I was taking over and over. 

Awesome! Really great!

I'm a little late to doing my finishing saga post.  I made it!  And I'm still going strong.  Though this second month I hope to be less isolated than this first month, to have more dinners with friends, etc., and work around that.  I have much more energy than before.  I'm reconnected with cooking (and the necessary prompt cleaning of dishes to keep that system working).  This evening I stayed for a lecture after work so didn't get home until after 9:00, and I had some leftover roast chicken and some roasted beets and fennel in the refrigerator, but I also quickly steamed some cauliflower and whipped up some mashed cauliflower in my food processor.  Like that was some easy thing to do when it's late and I'm tired.  Clothes looser, though not a drastic weight loss.  Digestion and elimination more steady, though still a bit erratic.  No mysterious fluish symptoms that last a day or two then disappear.  More that one person has commented that my skin seems brighter (though I was not aware of it being otherwise).  I feel, oddly (for me) proud of having done this.  A small win to build upon.  Earlier this summer before I began this whole process, slowly preparing for the Whole30 then doing it, I was feeling a desperation around food that has gone away.  I feel overall more calm and grounded.  Thanks to all of you for being there through this process.  Congrats for sticking to it.  I wish you all the best.

I'm a little late to doing my finishing saga post.  I made it!  And I'm still going strong.  Though this second month I hope to be less isolated than this first month, to have more dinners with friends, etc., and work around that.  I have much more energy than before.  I'm reconnected with cooking (and the necessary prompt cleaning of dishes to keep that system working).  This evening I stayed for a lecture after work so didn't get home until after 9:00, and I had some leftover roast chicken and some roasted beets and fennel in the refrigerator, but I also quickly steamed some cauliflower and whipped up some mashed cauliflower in my food processor.  Like that was some easy thing to do when it's late and I'm tired.  Clothes looser, though not a drastic weight loss.  Digestion and elimination more steady, though still a bit erratic.  No mysterious fluish symptoms that last a day or two then disappear.  More that one person has commented that my skin seems brighter (though I was not aware of it being otherwise).  I feel, oddly (for me) proud of having done this.  A small win to build upon.  Earlier this summer before I began this whole process, slowly preparing for the Whole30 then doing it, I was feeling a desperation around food that has gone away.  I feel overall more calm and grounded.  Thanks to all of you for being there through this process.  Congrats for sticking to it.  I wish you all the best.

When I tried to post yesterday, I hit an error message and it was deleted so here I try again. 

I meant to post on day 30 but that evening I received an emergency work call that meant I had to dash to work. That event pretty much wrote my NSV thoughts. Pre W30, I might have had a glass of wine or two since I wasn't on call. Thankfully I  was able to deal with the drive and deal with events that were unfolding with a clear head. I'd had a template dinner that left me well-fueled for managing an intense and stressful situation. I didn't even have time for the cup of coffee I don't drink much of anymore and I didn't have that caffeine ramped up drive that I think makes me less effective. I didn't get home until after 3 A.M. And I confess I was hungry. I reached for some cooked chicken (never would have had that on hand before) and mayo, had enough to dim the growling in my stomach. I slept a short but sound sleep - again, if I'd tanked up on coffee to get through, that wouldn't have happened. Probably the biggest success was not reaching for food to reward myself; that was a major goal of this W30. I have no numbers to report as I broke up with my scale a while ago; this was more about those intangibles that translate into solid improvements. 

Good luck on reintros!

When I tried to post yesterday, I hit an error message and it was deleted so here I try again. 

I meant to post on day 30 but that evening I received an emergency work call that meant I had to dash to work. That event pretty much wrote my NSV thoughts. Pre W30, I might have had a glass of wine or two since I wasn't on call. Thankfully I  was able to deal with the drive and deal with events that were unfolding with a clear head. I'd had a template dinner that left me well-fueled for managing an intense and stressful situation. I didn't even have time for the cup of coffee I don't drink much of anymore and I didn't have that caffeine ramped up drive that I think makes me less effective. I didn't get home until after 3 A.M. And I confess I was hungry. I reached for some cooked chicken (never would have had that on hand before) and mayo, had enough to dim the growling in my stomach. I slept a short but sound sleep - again, if I'd tanked up on coffee to get through, that wouldn't have happened. Probably the biggest success was not reaching for food to reward myself; that was a major goal of this W30. I have no numbers to report as I broke up with my scale a while ago; this was more about those intangibles that translate into solid improvements. 

Good luck on reintros!

Good luck on reintros!

Well...I was not 100%, but I was good.  I had the major slip with wine on day 19, but got back on track and finished.  I do feel better.  My joints are definitely not as painful with the arthritis.  I am going to start again for 30 days next week.  I did manage to lose 13 lbs.  Awesome to everyone who was 100% compliant.  And while I was not I am still giving myself a pat on the back.  

Anyone is for another 30 days?

Well...I was not 100%, but I was good.  I had the major slip with wine on day 19, but got back on track and finished.  I do feel better.  My joints are definitely not as painful with the arthritis.  I am going to start again for 30 days next week.  I did manage to lose 13 lbs.  Awesome to everyone who was 100% compliant.  And while I was not I am still giving myself a pat on the back.  

Good luck on reintros!

Good luck on reintros!

Good luck on reintros!

Good luck on reintros!

Archived