Wedding on Day 27 of My First Whole30

Robin R.

I am now on Day 17 of my first W30 and doing great.  I chose to start this after our family vacation and before our 28th anniversary weekend.  It is actually the perfect time with all of the local fresh veggies and fruit right now.  I am loving the food and very few cravings!  Feeling excellent.  However, we are attending a wedding in a week and a half and there is a sit-down dinner with two entree choices.  One is a seafood casserole type thing that I highly doubt is compliant and the other is the lemon herb chicken.  I am going with my husband and figured that the chicken might be the most compliant.   The bride is an employee of my husband's so he talked to her a little bit about my dietary restrictions and asked if there was a way we could find out how everything is cooked, etc.  She did say others had asked too, amd she was goig to check, but it seems they were asking about dairy.  I emailed her myself to inquire because my husband can never remember exactly what it is that I cannot eat.  I told her that I did not want to bother her, and would be happy to contact the caterer myself if I could.  I really hate to be "that person"!  I really was not sure how to simplify my request.  Would it work to tell her that I need to know what foods they will have that are  gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, grain-free meal?  I know how to avoid alcohol and sugar unless it is an added ingredient.  I know that I can eat a full meal ahead of time, (maybe carry snacks in my purse) then eat veggies, salads, etc. but I did want to eat as much of the meal as I can.  

I'd speak directly with the caterer and be very specific about your requirements - I'm sure you're not the only person with dietary restrictions and it's fairly likely that non compliant oils/fats will be used for marinading, oiling the grill etc. And regardless of the added sugar/alcohol, you're not covering yourself there for sulphites, carrageenan, or MSG - all possibilities.

I couldn't enjoy a meal that far in knowing I might be taking a risk of upsetting my gut with non compliant foods having left the responsibility in someone else's hands - someone who has enough on her plate to worry about before he wedding.

I'm always 'that person' - but I feel so much better for it.

1 hour ago, jmcbn said:

I'd speak directly with the caterer and be very specific about your requirements - I'm sure you're not the only person with dietary restrictions and it's fairly likely that non compliant oils/fats will be used for marinading, oiling the grill etc. And regardless of the added sugar/alcohol, you're not covering yourself there for sulphites, carrageenan, or MSG - all possibilities.

I couldn't enjoy a meal that far in knowing I might be taking a risk of upsetting my gut with non compliant foods having left the responsibility in someone else's hands - someone who has enough on her plate to worry about before he wedding.

I'm always 'that person' - but I feel so much better for it.

Thank you so much for responding!  I absolutely do not want to risk any of my hard work.  Just trying to figure out the best way to do it.  I will have my husband just get the cateter's number so that I can ask myself.  I did suggest that, but no response yet.  I will have him call her today.  Stay tuned!  

We contacted the bride and I was able to get the email address and phone number for the wedding event planner.

This is the email that I sent in the event someone else has the same challenge that I do:

Good Morning,

My husband and I are attending Katie Hollstrom's wedding on Sept. 3rd.  I am on a 30 day nutrition reset and elimination diet, recommended by my physician for some chronic health issues that I am dealing with.  I will be on Day 27 and it is imperative that I not eat anything that I am not supposed to.   I have a long list of foods and additives that I need to avoid, so I want to be certain that the foods I eat are not made with them.  I do not expect anything to be made specifically for me, but I just want to be certain that I know what I can eat at the reception. We ordered the seafood entree and the chicken entree.  The lemon herb chicken sounded the safest to me.  I apologize as it is a long list!  This includes what the food is cooked in or what is added to it.

Here you go:

Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.

Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking.

Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. Again, read your labels.

Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).

Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep’s milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee. (See below for details.)

Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites.   Naturally occurring sulfites are fine.

Thank you in advance for your time.  I plan to send the list to Katie so that she has it for any other wedding guests that may have dietary restrictions.

Much appreciation.

I got a response!  I hope this helps others who are tackling the same issue.  I plan to take deviled eggs (made with my W30) pesto, veggies with guacomole, and hard boiled eggs to snack on.  Instead of cake, I will have a Larabar so that I will feel that I am indulging.  Sparkling water with lemon or lime for my drinks!  Feeling GREAT!

Robin,
        I have taken note of the restrictions and will make sure that your entrée of the lemon herb chicken is safe for you to eat.  The garden salad as the first course will be OK, but you will want to bring your own dressing to be safe.  The hors d' oeuvres as well would not be safe for you, but if you would like to bring something of your own to have at that time please feel free.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks!
Dawn

My reply to her:  

Thank you so much!  I will bring my own hors d' oeuvres, dressing and
dessert (as I know I cannot eat the cake)! I bought some Larabars
today that are compliant with my diet.  If there are other vegetables
with the meal, let me know as I may be able to eat that too.

How can I be sure that I get the right entree?

This is my first big challenge so I truly appreciate you taking the
time to make this work for me.

This is my strategy, but I would pump the brakes for one small, tiny item. That larabar thingy used as a substitute for wedding cake.  You will be lingering long, looking at the cake and wishing it was yours.  I would actually eat a piece of real fruit at the end of the meal and dance myself happy knowing you're going to make it to Day 30.  

17 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

This is my strategy, but I would pump the brakes for one small, tiny item. That larabar thingy used as a substitute for wedding cake.  You will be lingering long, looking at the cake and wishing it was yours.  I would actually eat a piece of real fruit at the end of the meal and dance myself happy knowing you're going to make it to Day 30.  

If I had a Sugar Dragon to tame I definitely would take your advice.  However, I am on Day 18 and doing fantastic!  The hardest thing for me to give up (as expected) was the milk and my glass of wine.  I have done much better than I ever thought I would, in spite of pouring milk for other family members and having a friend sip a glass of wine while I had my sparkling water in a wine glass.  I did not even DREAM OF THEM but for once in the very beginning when I sipped a glass of wine and immediately spit it out without swallowing.  I plan to pack my own salad dressing, deviled eggs with my W30 pesto, sliced apples and almond butter and veggie sticks with guacomole.  I am thinking the other wedding guests are wonder where I got those yummy snacks!   I understand that Larabars are to be used for emergencies only.  I plan to pack one, and only eat it if I feel it is an emergency, I promise!!  

1 minute ago, MeadowLily said:

You have your own strategy in place and it's clearly working,  Kudos and nice job going.

Thank you!  I absolutely love the W30 and was very ready when I started.  Although there is nothing like actually doing it!  (I actually want to continue W30ish after the re-intro period because I like it so much.)  I am feeling better equipped to handle this situation now that I have a plan. I was actually considering not going because the thought of going and not eating or drinking anything they had available was a bit depressing.  Now I am actually excited to go!  I have not yet gone out to eat and have been consisistently preparing three W30 meals a day in spite of my husband having hip replacement surgery a week and a half ago and spending 2 days near the hospital with him.  He has not been able to help with the cooking and cleaning up or grocery shopping which he usually has a big hand in.  I told him how nice it would be to go out and have someone cook for me and serve me!  As soon as he is able I am sure he will be doing some of that for me.  Anyway thank you for the encouragement and support.  I will post in here after the wedding and let everyone know how it went!  

@Robin R. - I've read your log and your meals sound great, and given the circumstances with your husband's surgery, hospitals visits etc. I think you're doing brilliantly. Enjoy the wedding - it'll be much easier to relax now that you know you've covered all bases!

Okay, now I am even more excited!!  The wedding event planner just emailed and told me this:    "The vegetable is green beans and the potatoes are roasted red bliss, and I have requested no butter on either of them, so you should be all set there too:)"  

Wow!  

• 2 weeks later...

I am very happy to report that I did it!  I successfully went to a wedding and the reception and stayed Whole30 compliant the entire time.  I packed up my cooler with sliced cucumbers, red and yellow bell peppers and Sun Gold cherry tomatoes with guacomole for dipping.  I made deviled eggs by taking out the yolk and mashing it up and mixing it with guacomole (rather than mayo).  I also packed my own viniagrette dressing: Fiore Grapefuit White Balsamic, Fiore Persion Lime olive oil with organic Dijon mustard (wine free)!   Once we got to the wedding and found out where we were sitting, I went back to the car, took everything out of the cooler and put in a large zip up purse with the ice pack, and set it next to the table.   Very subtle!  Someone sat right next to me at the wedding with a large glass of white wine and I could SMELL it.  I took a deep breath and chuckled with my husband about the irony.  After the wedding during the social/h'ordeuveres time, I ate my deviled eggs and veggies with guacamole and sipped my club soda with lemon and lime wedges.  I was very discreet so I am not sure anyone even noticed.  I was able to resist the cold appetizers (bread and cheese) but snagged a few grapes for myself.  The hot h'ordeuveres started circulating, but I was so full that I was not really tempted even as my husband heartily enjoyed his. (He did ask me if I wanted one of his scallops if he took the bacon off, but I declined.)  And I. LOVE. SCALLOPS.   Very sweet of him though.  Next up, was the dinner.  We sat down and they had poured champagne into glasses at every place setting.  Mmph.  I love champagne.  I moved it away from me so that I did not pick it up and accidently sip it, and moved my water glass next to my hand.  Every time they did a toast I would pick it up, do the toast, bring it up to my mouth, then set it back down and drink my ice water.  Phew.  Dinner was served and I got my garden salad, then the grilled chicken with no butter, lemon and herb sauce, with my side of unbuttered baby potatoes and green beans.  I pulled out my vinaigrette and put it on everything on my plate.  So, so good.  The chicken was on the dry side so I REALLY needed it.  I was full and satiated and feeling good about the evening so far.  Oh... did I mention that we were seated right next to the wedding cake?!?  Baked goods are another one of my weaknesses.  When it came time for the cake to be served, I politely declined, and pulled out my own cake (Carrot Cake Larabar) as the server sat my husband's slice in front of him in all of its sweet gooey splendor.  It has the thick frosting on it, the kind that l adore.  I averted my eyes and peeled open my Larabar.  Remember I said I would use it it an emergency only situation?   Well, I considered this an emergency.  I took slow and careful bites and enjoyed the natural sweetness of the dates, coconut, carrots, walnuts and almonds.  I ate every single bite. Without a single lick of that frosting.  I drank my coffee black.  I felt full and satisfied.  Healthy and successful.  I also was able to drive us the 1 1/2 hours home while alert and awake, reflecting on the wonderful celebratory evening, surrounded by happy people.  It was awesome.

Archived