Shakey Feeling and Too much Fat

marathonbroad

Hi all, I have been looking all through the Forum and have not found these two items addressed thoroughly enough for me.  

Am on day 6 of Whole 30 and feeling pretty good.  This morning I had the eggs, sausage and home fries from page 206 in the Whole 30 book.  I ate at 6:45 and it is now 11 and I am feeling hungry and shakey...like low blood sugar.....why?

Also, I there is a lot more fat in the eating plan than I have ever eaten in my life and I know it is good fat, but concerned I am gaining weight.  I am not doing this to lose weight, but I don't want to gain any either.  Tried to read up on the science regarding the good fat, but do not understand how eating this much good fat is good for me?  I have always been told that our daily diet should consist of 55% good carbs, $25% protein and 20% fat.....the Whole Foods plan puts me at around 34% carbs, 46% fat and 20%..yikes...what am I doing wrong???

Any feedback from anyone that has experienced the two things I have mentioned would be greatly appreciated!

• Administrators

Exactly how much breakfast did you eat? How did it relate to the palm of your hand (sausage), how many eggs, how much potato, what fat?

4 hours from breakfast would be a reasonable meal time so if you are hungry, feel free to eat. Depending on how you ate before Whole30, you may still be a sugar-burner (ie, not fat adapted) so you would still have a propensity towards burning sugar over fat. This means that if you haven't had the quick, fast acting sugar that you may be used to (ie, pastries, cereal, milk, smoothies etc), your body isn't going to feel right. Go eat a meal, you'll get through it.

Do you have any underlying medical issues?

The fat that we are recommending that you eat is a moderate amount. Fat is required for certain vitamin absorption, for brain health and for overall satiety.

Note that if you were heavily restricted prior to Whole30 or you come from a background of general restriction (calories or fat), you may go through a period of temporary weight gain while your body understands that food is inbound regularly.

Thank you Ladyshanny.  I had 2 eggs, 2 chicken sausage patties each one the size of my palm and half a sweet potato and 2/3 of a red pepper with 1 1/2 tbls of evvo.  No underlying medical issues and am not coming from a restrictive diet at all.  The change for me on Whole 30 is not eating as many grains like oatmeal and brown rice etc..along with the chocolate.   The increase in fat is a concern...I rarely ate bad fats and junk food so it appears to be a lot more fat in my diet....I will continue on....

If I eat now though, I am not sure I can make it until 6 to eat dinner!!! ugh!!

• Administrators

@marathonbroad - your breakfast looks fine and eating 4 hours later is reasonable. Trying to go from 11am until 6pm isn't though so you will probably need a mini-meal between lunch and dinner. Go for protein and fat if you can or protein and veggie. 

Potatoes are considered a veggie (note, there is no real distinction between veggie and carb on Whole30) however as it is a starchy one, you could try doing all non-starchy veggies for breakfast and move your starchy veggie to the evening meal. This has been reported to help with fat adaptation, sleep and cravings.

For what it's worth, I have lost 10 lbs since going Paleo, and i didn't even finish my first Whole 30. I'd imagine I'd have lost more if I had. So I don't think eating more fat guarantees you are going to gain weight at all. Actually, what really makes me gain is simple carbs like white bread and white rice.

After making many of the recipes in the whole 30 book, the servings sizes are rather large.  Just made the cauliflower mash and the serving size says 2!  I'd say my one head of cauliflower made about 4 cups.  2 cups is a serving???  Also I made the dinner eggs, sweet potato and chicken sausage.  The serving looked normal.  When I added it into my fitness pal app the calories where 550.  I know and am beginning to understand the science behind whole 30, but this amount of calories is concerning.....no???

Not all calories are created equal.

100 calories of broccoli for instance is not the same as 100 calories of iced donuts. If you ate 550 calories of iced donuts I'd imagine you could still eat a plate full of food, plus those donuts will have provided nothing in terms of vitamins & minerals. If you ate 550 calories of the dinner eggs, sweet potato and chicken sausage I'd imagine you'd be satisfied - both physically & nutritionally - see where I'm going here?

This is one of the reasons we ask people NOT to count calories or track macros.

And yes, x2 cups of cauliflower would be okay for a serving if it's your only veg - the recommendation in the meal template is 1-3 cups of veg per meal, with 3 being optimum. 

I get that jmcbn.  We have been so conditioned with the calorie thing.  I did whole 30 for a week and fell off last night by accident at a restaurant...ugh!!!  I do  feel better, but clothes still fitting the same.  Gotta keep reminder myself its about how I feel which is so much better.  Also, just seems like so much fat and that is something I am having a hard time getting my arms around even though I know they are good fats....I will keep reading!!  Thank you!!!

Archived