Endurance race nutrition?

Josh Wennes

Hey gang! Just started, day 3 here.  I have a question. Any endurance (half marathon, marathon, triathlon, ironman, etc) athletes here? I'm running my first half marathon in a couple weeks and am dedicated to staying on program.  I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for nutrition during the actual run itself. Obviously energy chews and gels are out.

Hey Josh & welcome to Whole30

Race fuel has been discussed many times on the forums, and in fact we have a section especially for athletes - have a read through there and you'll undoubtedly come up with a whole host of suggestions, or google 'Whole 30 race fuel' (or similar) for links to previous threads on the subject.

Hope this helps!

ETA: I'm moving your question to the Athletes section for a better fit :)

5 hours ago, ultrarunnergirl said:

I've written quite a bit on this topic: http://ultrarunnergirl.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Remember to take it easy on yourself the first 3 weeks. The process can't be rushed!

Thanks!! I do have a question about your race fuel. I see you put down Lara bars and banana. Did you feel eating them was more difficult than a chew or gel? I do love some of the Lara bars and bananas may be my favorite thing. Ever. 

I appreciate the warning on the training. What's been such a positive for me (almost done with day 3!) Is that I haven't had any of the lack of energy and fatigue that others report. I attest this to a pretty darn solid diet before starting my Whole30. This has helped me immensely!

Thanks again for the info, it's awesome see athletes share their info and success and even failures. It's nice to know I'm not alone out there!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Just tossing this out there - if you had a moderate carb diet before you might be fat adapted enough to not need anything during the race.  I've run 5ish half marathons - 1:45-1:55 range all with nothing.  Not even water - but that was because I didn't want to stop.  All were in good/cool conditions.  I'm a special snowflake though :)

Last year I did a Spartan Super (it turned out to be about 9 miles with 2k or so of elevation) in 2 hrs 30 m or so in HOT weather.  I brought water in my camelback and a few sips along the way.  I also brought dates that I covered in sea salt in a little plastic baggie.  I ate a few of those.  Felt great.  

I do rehydrate like crazy after these events.  

I also do a lot of long distance/strenuous hiking.  My biggest lesson learned:  salt makes the biggest difference.  And get good salt - pink himalayan would be my suggestion.  

Archived