Nuts and cashew butter

Jazminmkw

Hey guys so this has probably been asked a million times but nuts! Is having 1 handful or half a handful of macadamia nuts or cashews or hazelnuts once a day okay and almonds every 3rd day okay or is that having to much nuts?? I'm only having half a fist full to a full fist full not more then what is recommended. Should I only be having nuts in general every few days?? Also cashew butter is it okay to have every second day so a few times a week or not??

25 minutes ago, Jazminmkw said:

But everyone else even other admins and moderators have said nuts and nut butters are good fats so you can eat them but they haven't said how many times a week is okay or to much

No, no, no and no. The mods always point out that nuts are lower quality fats, they can disrupt digestion, and they can be a food without brakes.

Even if you decide to have nuts, the serving is not a handful, it's a closed fist and take it from me, that's just a few nuts. 

Do yourself a favor and concentrate on the other good fats. 

If you have nuts, have a few as part of a dish. (And no more than every other day.) Don't eat the as a snack and don't use nut butter as a "dessert."

• Moderators

The link I provided above tells you the size of a serving of nuts. There are many posts on the forum that discuss how best to include them in your meal planning. Repeating those discussions is something I am not willing to do. I did offer you my judgement based upon working with 1000s of people doing the Whole30 and that is don't eat nuts or nut butters at all. I don't mind repeating that judgement.

• Administrators

Ya, @Jazminmkw - sorry but we really don't recommend cracking out on nuts. They are meant to be "limited" so you can think that to be one closed handful every other day or less. They are a "good" fat but they aren't really that good. They are terribly high in Omega 6 which nearly no one in North America/Europe needs more of, they can be gut disruptive (think diarrhea, bloating, discomfort), they can be hard to stop eating once you start and they are pushing better foods out of the way. 

Yes they are "good for you".....but there are much better choices. But, as with all things, you're an adult and you get to decide how you want to proceed. Our recommendations are for best possible results.

Archived