Bernadette - Whole 30 (take 2)

bernadette

Hi my name is Bernadette and I'm a mother of two small children (4 years old and 7 months old) I started researching the Paleo diet and following it somewhat in December when I was still pregnant with my daughter. I've done so much research and kept hearing people on different blogs talking about Whole 30. I decided since I was doing well but still craving sweets that I should give this a try. I made it 14 days with the attitude that I would absolutely not cheat until I had a run in with some b-day cake my neighbors brought over from their son's b-day party. I thought since I wasn't craving sweets I could just freeze it until I was done but after a few days of calling my name from the freezer I gave in so here I am on day 3! Ughhh. I was disgusted with myself but I learned a very valuable lesson in that even though I'm not craving sweets so much doesn't mean I can keep sweets around and expect not to want to eat them. I figure if I am going to make this my diet what is another 14 days added to my Whole 30. So I thought perhaps the log would be a good thing for me to do to keep me on track. I also try to get my family to eat as much paleo as possible. My 4 year old has transitioned from eating fishy crackers as snacks to cut up veggies. It isn't always easy and I do let him have splurges here and there but for the most part I just don't buy processed food and have it at the house.

My main goals for this Whole 30 is to start to sleep better (when my baby isn't getting me up in the middle of the night) and to have more energy. I love being a mom but find being a stay-at-home mom sometimes exhausting. I work out hard doing circuit training, boot camp, and cycle classes at my local YMCA. Usually 4 or 5 times a week. I'm pretty much back to my pre-baby weight but am still trying to tone my stomach.

I've also had minor irritable bowl symptoms over the years (not all the time) but I noticed during that first 14 days I had NONE of that at all. My skin looks the best it has in years too. So there are so many things to look forward to and enjoy on this program and I really want to focus on the positives rather than the things I can't have. (sometimes easier said than done)

So far these are my meals:

Day 1:

breakfast: turkey salad w/paleo mayo, grapes, & almonds & raw veggies

lunch: spinach salad with salmon and mashed sweet potatoes

dinner: meatloaf w/mushrooms, broccoli

snack: a few grapes and a few apple slices

Day 2:

breakfast: leftover meatloaf w/mushrooms, broccoli, & sweet potatoes

lunch: sausage and raw veggies

dinner: pulled pork with tons of broccoli

snack: apple

I really didn't feel vulnerable the first 16 days but now that I'm starting over and had the slip up I am finding myself thinking about food that I can't have. I really wanted pizza today when I haven't had real pizza in a long time. What gives? I ate clean today with leftover pork and veggies for breakfast and lunch and chicken, sweet potatoes, and spinach for dinner. I did eat a banana today which I think is the second one I've eaten since I started (the first time).

So I really need to focus on the positives going forward. I think it didn't help that I was exhausted in my workout today and pretty much all day. The daily grind of trying to feed everyone, take care of everyone, and clean up after everyone over and over again is getting to me.

Today has been rough. I ate leftover chicken, pork, and veggies so far for breakfast and lunch but I went grocery shopping and really contemplated quitting. It is so weird. My first go at it I had such a great attitude. I think because I'm feeling really tired and mentally fatigued and it is making me second guess myself. I so badly want to feel that energy and better sleep.

Oh on a side note, speaking of sleep and energy, my husband has been eating 85% paleo only because he agreed to let me pack his breakfast and lunch to see if it would leave him less hungry during the day. He could care less about healthy eating and doesn't believe that paleo is the best way. He only eats it because that is what I cook. After just a few weeks (and he does snack on non-paleo foods) he has been sleeping better and waking up on his own at 4:30AM rested and ready to go. Although I'm happy for him and happy he can see all my efforts are worth it I'm frusterated that I am the one putting in all of the time and energy but not seeing any rewards yet.

Anyway so I'm on the verge of calling it quits. Not to say that I'm not going to eat paleo. I definately think no matter what this experience has helped me with cravings and really taught me to look at what I"m eating and why I'm eating. I just don't know if at this point with the stress I'm dealing with if I can upkeep this. I don't want to be a quiter!

I wish I could just give you a hug!

If you were in my kitchen right now, I would make you a cup of herbal tea, give you a hug, and tell you that you ARE worth this effort, no matter how frustrating. The frustration could simply be the sugar dragon messing with your head. You CAN get passed this, you CAN get that energy, and you will look back and say "ah, that was nothing!"

Oh, and if you were in my kitchen, you would have to have me clean a PILE of dirty dishes :P .

Feel better!

I wish I could just give you a hug!

If you were in my kitchen right now, I would make you a cup of herbal tea, give you a hug, and tell you that you ARE worth this effort, no matter how frustrating. The frustration could simply be the sugar dragon messing with your head. You CAN get passed this, you CAN get that energy, and you will look back and say "ah, that was nothing!"

Oh, and if you were in my kitchen, you would have to have me clean a PILE of dirty dishes :P .

Feel better!

You are too sweet. I'd help you do dishes for getting me out of this slump! :o) This really helped me. Thank you.

Archived