restart required?

Mekare27

so I'm on day 6 of my first whole30. Hi *Waves*. My sugar dragon is still breathing fire but other than that I was doing ok. Had a misshap on day 1 forgetting corn is a grain even when it isn't flour'd but the slip didn't derail me at all and I was all set to do a Whole30+1 to make it up. Except today I was in the car and realised I had gum in my purse and absentmindedly (to freshen breath NOT get a sweet fix) I popped a piece in my mouth. I chewed for about 2 minutes before my brain kicked in and went 'STUPID! What about all the sweeteners in this stuff?!?!' and I spat it out the window. 

Is there enough of those horrible sweeteners in sugar free gum that I did systemic inflammation damage or gut damage and ruined my 'reset'? My intention wasn't food related at all - I genuinely didn't even think of chewing gum as EATING and I wasn't trying to sooth a sugar craving. I haven't gone into a craving spiral and I'm totally cool with doing a Whole30+1+6 :) I'm just wondering if I'm being too hard on myself. Should I really restart?  Is it worth the reset based on the grounds of the 'absentmindedness' alone?

If it were me I'd restart - because 1. I'm old school and rules is rules, and 2. because of the absent-mindedness thing...

Sugar/sweeteners probably aren't going to cause any inflammation or digestive stress, but you get to decide how you want to handle this.

Have a read at >this article< and let us know what you decide....

If you want the most benefits from your Whole30, you will restart. Doing a Whole30--eating template meals and only template meals--for 30 days--30 straight days--is your opportunity to nourish your body, identify exactly how eliminated foods affect you (in your reintroductions) AND practice eating mindfully.

The eating mindfully part is just as important as avoiding sugar and sweeteners.

If you do restart, I highly recommend getting rid of all food that isn't compliant, emptying your kitchen, pantry, bag, desk and car.

Thank you both for replying! I am officially on day 1 again :) And feeling pretty proud of myself that I had no desire to go off plan yesterday even knowing the day was already a wash. 

Thanks jmcbn for the article link and for the suggestions ArtFossil - Unfortunately with a family in the house (who are supportive but if I throw out the oat bars in the pantry WILL mutany) I can't clear out everything non-compliant. My purse and my car are safe now though! 

Archived