Ideas for black coffee

EdenH

Hello W30 group!!! 

I am on my second round of Whole 30 and really would love some input on coffee brands that are great to drink black. I always used to put a little 2% milk in my coffee for years, but now am finding that when the coffee is black, it is so hard to drink. Bitter, etc. 

Does anyone have a brand they like that I can make in my Cuisinart coffee maker? I used Starbucks, but it is soooo bitter, now am trying Dunkin' Donut brand.... so, so..... any info is appreciated!!! 

Maybe find a local roaster. I've found that when it's roasted in small batches, it's less likely to be be bitter or worse, burnt. 

I still don't drink coffee black. I use whipped coconut cream to give it a little creamy texture. Or some compliant almond/coconut milk blend. 

I have also added a bit of salt or cinnamon to change the flavor and help with the bitter

I have never made it myself, but apparently cold brew coffee is less bitter than hot-brewed. Some companies (trader Joe's) make a cold brew concentrate. Add hot water-boom, delicious hot coffee. Always check ingredients, I can't remember off the top of my head if it is compliant.

I have the cusinart coffee maker that grinds the beans. I realize now that it really doesn't grind them well and it was resulting in bitter coffee (no matter which brand I used). I invested in a burr grinder and now grind the beans myself, resulting  a Much better tasting cup of coffee. It's not always the beans or coffee that is bitter but the way you brew it, that effects the flavor. But yes, good quality coffee is important, but prepare it well too. 

I love the taste of coffee but I have a pretty sensitive stomach and don't like bitter taste either.  I always buy organic coffee beans and have never had a problem but some are better than others.  I have tried a few cold brews and those are especially smooth and easy on the stomach.  That being said, it is probably up to individual taste too.

Archived