Starting Monday, 10/24- looking for support group

CristinaV

@habanero Throw it on a baked potato with ghee or mayo (and bacon and tomatoes and peppers), or add it to a soup, or throw it in a hash with veggies and top with eggs, or use it to top a green salad.

Yesterday I struggled not to fall asleep at my desk. I'm hoping the hangover today won't be so bad (but I have a feeling it will be...). I was able to up the amount of protein in my breakfast this morning, and tonight I plan to stop and get some more meat to cook and have on hand for pre and post workouts, plus breakfast.

Breakfast was the usual ground beef and sweet potatoes and greens and mayo.

Lunch will be leftovers from last night, pork meatballs, mashed potatoes, sauteed bell pepper and onion, a little applesauce, and a spicy coconut mayo.

Dinner will be tortilla-less chicken soup from Paleo Slow Cooking.

Tonight I have pub trivia with friends, where I'm already prepared to order club soda with lime and firmly turn down my friend's insistence that I order an alcoholic beverage.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
13 hours ago, maggie_h said:

I have felt the same for the first two days! I'm not that hungry... I had to kind of force myself to eat bigger lunches... and breakfast has never been a regular part of my routine, so that's an adjustment!

14 hours ago, LeeLeeB said:

Thank you for your input!  :) Today is day 2 and feeling ok.  Do you ever find that you lose your appetite? 

I ate breakfast - and had just protein for lunch - haven't been hungry today - so weird.  I'm going to have dinner but I'm feeling tired so I know I didn't eat enough today... 

Lack of appetite at the beginning is pretty normal. Keep plating up a template meal and do the best you can, packing up the rest to eat again as soon as you are able. Your body may not be used to regular protein, large quantities of veggies and fat is extremely satiating. It's hard to trust the signals at the beginning so just keep on and don't skip meals. Lack of appetite followed by skipping meals creates lack of appetite which causes you to skip meals. It's a brutal cycle.

@jamk321, @maggie_h, and @LeeLeeB ..... regarding not feeling hungry and having no appetite.....I've had this problem with past Whole30s and I managed it by still making my meal fit the template, eating as much as I needed to feel satisfied while trying to eat equally from each section (protein, fat, veggie) and then saving the rest for a snack later if needed.  Then your snack will be focused on the template rather than being a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts or some other incomplete snack.  My body only needed this occasionally and I got the hang of eating larger meals after a few days.

Happy Day 3!  I'm making chicken bone broth today and need to pick up some protein.  Not sure what yet.....maybe chicken wings or legs so I can make Nom Nom Paleo's Magic Mushroom chicken wings (or legs).  And I'm thinking of making some chili; it's chili weather here in Illinois. 

Pre WO:  mackerel with mayo, coffee

WO:  60 minute Orange Theory

Post WO:  chicken thigh, sweet potato

Breakfast:  3 eggs in ghee, zucchini with olive oil, sweet potato soup, coffee

Lunch:  Egg Roll in a bowl (pork, cabbage, carrots, onions), cauliflower rice

Dinner:  undecided....maybe a bunless burger, sauteed mushrooms and chard, with a big salad???

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, snowflower said:

Happy Day 3!  I'm making chicken bone broth today and need to pick up some protein.  Not sure what yet.....maybe chicken wings or legs so I can make Nom Nom Paleo's Magic Mushroom chicken wings (or legs).  And I'm thinking of making some chili; it's chili weather here in Illinois. 

Pre WO:  mackerel with mayo, coffee

WO:  60 minute Orange Theory

Post WO:  chicken thigh, sweet potato

Breakfast:  3 eggs in ghee, zucchini with olive oil, sweet potato soup, coffee

Lunch:  Egg Roll in a bowl (pork, cabbage, carrots, onions), cauliflower rice

Dinner:  undecided....maybe a bunless burger, sauteed mushrooms and chard, with a big salad???

Well done overall! Excellent choice on the pre and post workout and so glad to see you did post workout AND breakfast! Be proud, this is a huge sticking point for a lot of people and you've nailed it on Day 3. :D 

Hi everyone, 

I'm a yoga teacher, actress and writer, and so happy to see everyone on here supporting each other. 

I started last Friday so today is Day 6 for me. I feel great, I've already noticed some significant changes: 

-I've lost weight (not using the scale, I can just see it and feel it in the way my clothes fit)

-Yoga poses are easier

-Body aches diminished

-I'm mostly sleeping like a baby but not needing as much sleep 

-Food is more flavorful; my tastebuds are far more sensitive 

The most amazing part is that I'm not having intense cravings for any particular food, including sugar, which is my #1 Dragon! The first few days I craved something sweet and creamy to drink, like a milkshake or a smoothie, but not very intensely. I'm hoping that this lack of craving keeps up. 

Yesterday I made the braised beef brisket on page 214, using the directions to "make it a meal." If anyone else has ever followed this recipe, I'm curious to know if you had the same issues I did, especially when it came time to make the sauce. I'm slow-ish in the kitchen and this was quite the project. Still, It came out pretty good! 

Today I'm almost out of food and I know that I need to plan the next 3 days and go food shopping again. Does anyone have any suggestions from the book for the simplest meals that they've tried and enjoyed? 

Today's plan: 

B: Fried eggs over sautéed spinach, apple slices sprinkled with cinnamon, coffee with coconut milk

L: Leftover Mexican tuna on romaine with sliced bell pepper, cabbage slaw

D: Leftover Beef brisket with butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots and celery, side salad with leftover Ranch dressing

Vinyasa Yoga, meditation, and meal planning/shopping for the next 3 days

On 10/24/2016 at 11:00 AM, havingfun said:

I love the idea of posting meals! Let's post workouts too! :)

Quick question: has anyone found a good coffee milk substitute?  I have only about 2 tablespoons of milk with my coffee each morning, and I am REALLY missing it!  I've tried almost milk, coconut, and cashew milk. I'm hoping maybe there is a particularly brand/version which will give my coffee the creaminess I'm missing... anyone??

Meals:

B: egg, spinach, 1/2 a banana (IS THIS banana ALLOWED??, Ahh!)

L: cabbage unroll ups, roasted squash

D: salmon, sweet potato fritters, roasted squash

Exercise: cycle.  I really wish we had Orange Theory in our town! 

I put coconut milk-the pure, canned kind used for cooking, not the kind in containers like almond and soy milk-in my coffee! Open a can, carefully mix the cream from the top into the clear milk underneath, and pour a little straight into your coffee. Then I store the rest in the fridge for the next few days. 

Entering day 2 here.  I actually had to start over because of a mess up on day one.  I did not properly check the bacon package.  Every dang thing out there has sugar in it.  Has anyone found a compliant bacon and if so where?  I could really use that for my mornings.

Also, where is everyone getting the energy for workouts!  I am exhausted.  I am know part of that is the 1 and 3 year olds at home but geez.  You guys are awesome that you are getting workouts in too!

Meal plan for today:

Breakfast: Fried egg (in coconut oil), pork sausage patties (homemade), and steamed brocolli

Lunch: Coconut chicken bites and sweet potato spears

Snack: Apple with cinnamon

Dinner: Pan roasted chicken with mushroom sauce

Keep at it everyone.

The only place I have found compliant bacon is Whole Foods.  I believe you might be able to find some at Costcos but I don't have a membership there so I have not seen it.

just wait, the energy to workout will come!

heres my day today

preworkout- hard boiled egg and spoon full of almond butter

1/2 hour strength 1 hour cardio

post workout- steak and roasted turnup

meal 1--3 eggs over sautéed onions peppers left over Brussels sprouts and roasted sweet potato cubes and banana

meal 2--tuna with mayo on romain lettuce leaves, carrot sticks

Meal 3--salad with chicken, balsamic vinegar and olive oil

might throw in some almonds and a clementine into my lunch box too just in case

have a great day everyone!

• Administrators

Hi @Scarlito - the lagging feeling is pretty normal at the beginning, be gentle with yourself and maybe just schedule in the next week off of exercise. 

Just a couple comments on your menu. First, make sure that you are adding a fat source to every meal. Cooking fat is generally not counted. Second, increase the size of your meals in order to avoid having that mid-day snack.  If you do need something between lunch and dinner because the timing between is more than 4-5 hours, make it a mini meal of protein, veggies and fat or at the least, protein & fat or protein and veggie. Fruit alone will mess with your blood sugar, resulting in increased tiredness, increased cravings. 

I think if you increase the fat and bump up your meals to negate that snack, you'll start feeling better soon. 

Okay so, Day 4. 

Yesterday was rough for me and today I am sporting another headache- three days straight! My bowels have decided to stop working it seems, and I feel very bloated- which then makes me think why the heck am I doing this? I feel worse and my body image is plummeting. However, day 4 here I come!

For breakfast (I really was not loving my options today): Two scrambled eggs with hot wings sauce (my boyfriend ate all my salsa :( ) 2 cups of cubed butternut squash with jalapeno and ground mustard, roasted zucchini, small apple and 2-3 bites of paleo trail mix. I felt so full after this- it didn't feel good...again I am complaining about my bloating...sorry!

For lunch I have a pre-made paleo meal, marinara chicken breast with cauliflower, carrots, and broccoli. I will probably have an avocado if I can find one and a banana or apple. 

Supper...still unknown. 

How is everyone else doing? 

I hope to work out tonight, I haven't all week mainly because of my insane work schedule and my kid's sports. 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Bethjl said:

@ladyshanny I have been counting my cooking oil as the fat in my breakfast...so you are saying this is wrong?  What could I use as my fat with breakfast?

It's not "wrong", perse, just that a lot of time most of the fat is left in the pan so you're really getting quite a bit less than you think. You could add homemade mayo, olives, drizzle ghee, avocado, guacamole etc. 

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, tiglilygirl said:

For breakfast (I really was not loving my options today): Two scrambled eggs with hot wings sauce (my boyfriend ate all my salsa :( ) 2 cups of cubed butternut squash with jalapeno and ground mustard, roasted zucchini, small apple and 2-3 bites of paleo trail mix. I felt so full after this- it didn't feel good...again I am complaining about my bloating...sorry!

I know I don't say this that often, in fact almost never; but perhaps this meal was too large and unfortunately it's a bit mis-balanced. Eggs, if they are your only protein, should be as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping; for most people a good start is 3-4.

2 cups of starchy veggie (squash) and zucchini and apple and trail mix is quite a bit of food. Your fat source, if it was the trailmix/nuts, is not the best fat source overall and will contribute to bloating (nuts are notorious). If I was going to edit this, I would say 3-4 eggs, fist sized amount of butternut, 1-2 cups of zucchini, topped with mayo or guacamole. 

1 hour ago, tiglilygirl said:

Yesterday was rough for me and today I am sporting another headache- three days straight! My bowels have decided to stop working it seems, and I feel very bloated- which then makes me think why the heck am I doing this? I feel worse and my body image is plummeting. However, day 4 here I come!

Sorry to hear this tiglilygirl:( I too have been struggling with the headaches.  I'm prone to them and it just seems to be my bodies defense mechanism whenever something is off or not "right".  But I know what I'm doing for my body is right, so I'm pushing through and I know they will go away.  

Day 3: Feeling very tired today and wondering how I'll make it to crossfit tonight, but hoping I get an energy spike later this afternoon. I'm not a morning person anyways.  As far as food goes, I'm feeling decently accomplished at staying on track. I think I need to maybe re-read some of my "It starts with food" book on the portioning and getting all that right. For now I'm just focusing on learning what's okay and not okay, reading labels, rushing to the store at the last minute for ingredients or compliant snacks.  Last night was almost a disaster when I realized my workout and kid's teacher conferences would put me home at 8pm and no time to wait for a 9pm dinner.  So after reading the forum I had a compliant meal at chipotle (salad, carnitas, pico, guacamole). It was delicious and I was able to stay on track!!! Then I just went home and cooked the dinner I had planned and now have that for lunch and dinner tonight, since I JUST realized the beef Tapa I was making requires marinading overnight.  

Today's schedule:

B: 2 egg muffins (sausage, spinach, red pepper, green onion), hashbrowns, strawberries

L: Potato lasagna (thenourashinghome website) Compliant

Pre WO: hard boiled egg, carrots and maybe an apple if the first two are not enough

Dinner/Post WO: Lasagna again (unless someone can toss me a good quick recipe that takes less than an hour to make) We have gymnastics, work out and other activities tonight that leave me little time to cook.  

PS - Yesterday I was shopping and in a pinch I didn't know if something was Okay and found this handy sheet that was so helpful to know what additives are okay, and I was okay to buy my snack.  http://whole30.com/downloads/additives.pdf  I now keep this on my phone so I can do a quick glance. 

Morning all!

I'm starting to feel a little better already! I hope all of you are, too!

My only issue is that I'm struggling to get up for my 5 a.m. workouts! Ugh!

Today's meals:

B: leftover slowcooker pork roast, leftover sautéed squash and onions and a small sweet potato.

L: salmon cakes, carrots and celery with PB, cinnamon and apple bake.

D: fiesta bowl (tri-color peppers, onions, fajita-seasoned ground turkey, guac over greens)

Hopefully I can get a walk in this afternoon.

Happy hump day!

Somehow posted twice. Whoops!!

What I was trying to do was ask if eating Pumpkin Seeds is okay. Please say YES, because I've been eating them assuming they were. Just baked in olive oil and some salt. From what I read online, they are a good source of fat/protein. 

2 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

I know I don't say this that often, in fact almost never; but perhaps this meal was too large and unfortunately it's a bit mis-balanced. Eggs, if they are your only protein, should be as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping; for most people a good start is 3-4.

2 cups of starchy veggie (squash) and zucchini and apple and trail mix is quite a bit of food. Your fat source, if it was the trailmix/nuts, is not the best fat source overall and will contribute to bloating (nuts are notorious). If I was going to edit this, I would say 3-4 eggs, fist sized amount of butternut, 1-2 cups of zucchini, topped with mayo or guacamole. 

Thanks for the advice, the zucchini I had was only about a 1/4 to 1/2 a cup. But I will try to find balance. I just cannot mentally make myself prepare and eat 3-4 eggs. It just seems outrageous to me to consume that many yolks. I guess I need to think of some alternative protein sources in the morning. 

2 hours ago, Scarlito said:

Entering day 2 here.  I actually had to start over because of a mess up on day one.  I did not properly check the bacon package.  Every dang thing out there has sugar in it.  Has anyone found a compliant bacon and if so where?  I could really use that for my mornings.

Also, where is everyone getting the energy for workouts!  I am exhausted.  I am know part of that is the 1 and 3 year olds at home but geez.  You guys are awesome that you are getting workouts in too!

Meal plan for today:

Breakfast: Fried egg (in coconut oil), pork sausage patties (homemade), and steamed brocolli

Lunch: Coconut chicken bites and sweet potato spears

Snack: Apple with cinnamon

Dinner: Pan roasted chicken with mushroom sauce

Keep at it everyone.

Don't worry I am not working out either (I may try a light work out tonight-just to say I tried), I think about it but then I am just too tired. I know we will get back on track as the days go by :). 

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

What I was trying to do was ask if eating Pumpkin Seeds is okay. Please say YES, because I've been eating them assuming they were. Just baked in olive oil and some salt. From what I read online, they are a good source of fat/protein. 

Hey, ya, they are alright.........but they are to be considered like any seed or nut and be limited. By "limited", we mean a closed handful every other day or less. Like all seeds, they are high in Omega 6 which most of us already overload on. They can also be a bit "snacky" and hard to stop once you start. But if you are throwing them in a coleslaw or topping a cauliflower bake with them, totally fine! They would be considered a fat on Whole30.

26 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

The book has them listed under LIMIT: Nuts and seeds

16 minutes ago, tiglilygirl said:

Thanks for the advice, the zucchini I had was only about a 1/4 to 1/2 a cup. But I will try to find balance. I just cannot mentally make myself prepare and eat 3-4 eggs. It just seems outrageous to me to consume that many yolks. I guess I need to think of some alternative protein sources in the morning. 

This raises a good question - could have have say two whole eggs, then a few egg whites?  I actually made the fritatta in the book and cut it into 6 portions - not realizing they probably mean to eat at least half, if not more, of the whole thing in one meal!

• Administrators
1 minute ago, habanero said:

This raises a good question - could have have say two whole eggs, then a few egg whites?  

I guess you could do this...........but it's not necessary. If you really don't want to eat 3-4 whole eggs, go with 2 and then add another protein source like some shredded pork or a cubed up chicken thigh or two. Many people report that they don't get maximum satisfaction from just eggs no matter how many of them they eat. 

14 minutes ago, tiglilygirl said:

Don't worry I am not working out either (I may try a light work out tonight-just to say I tried), I think about it but then I am just too tired. I know we will get back on track as the days go by :). 

I am specifically not agonizing about working out this first week.  I'm more interested in getting into the groove.  My mantra has been, if I can muscle through this I KNOW I will feel better and the downward spiral will be interrupted.  

I was so full after breakfast this morning trying to fit in the template.  I might have to back off some I think.

breakfast: butternut squash soup, 2 hb eggs, brussel sprouts and tomatoes and 1/2 avacado

lunch: leftover pork carnitas, big salad with avocado, 1/2 apple

supper: stuffed peppers (using the whole 30 recipe except subbing cali rice instead of squash

Feeling bloated but otherwise good:)

50 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Hey, ya, they are alright.........but they are to be considered like any seed or nut and be limited. By "limited", we mean a closed handful every other day or less. Like all seeds, they are high in Omega 6 which most of us already overload on. They can also be a bit "snacky" and hard to stop once you start. But if you are throwing them in a coleslaw or topping a cauliflower bake with them, totally fine! They would be considered a fat on Whole30.

Thanks! I won't have them around for long and have only eaten a handful at a time.  My kids just did their pumpkins this week and so we always bake the seeds :) Plus, my body doesn't always like the way they come out the other end :P lol

Archived