Diva Cup

Wholelottachange

Karen, as far as it crawling up during the day goes...

when you sit down on the toilet... just put your fingers down at your vaginal opening and bear down (like you are about to poo) and the base will pop right out for you to grab and pull it out.

the reason to hold your fingers down there is so it doesn't pop out into the toilet water ... ewwww. i speak from experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely go for it!! I've used Diva cups for the last 5 years or so and I would never go back... Convinced a few others to try it as well and they love it!!!

In terms of it springing open--have you tried a different fold? someone else linked here, but it's great: http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/453392.html <- I use the punch-down method and it doesn't really pop open so much. Just make sure to push it up, pull it down a teeny bit and then twist it so it seals. It sounds like a lot but it really isn't :)

You can use your muscles to push it down lower to be able to grab the base and use your pointer finger to break the seal... Worst case scenario you can't rinse or wash between uses, use some extra TP to clean it out before re-inserting. I like to travel and it is amazing! No more "uh-oh" feeling when you've been on a bus for 5 hours and then need to stand up to exit... Seriously life-changing!!!

I bought a lunette cup two months ago and I love it. I clean it every twelve hours because the directions tell me I have to, but I could really leave it in longer without needing to empty it. I've only had the most minimal of leaks (when I didn't make sure it was expanded fully) - definitely less than with tampons. It's at least as clean as tampons for me, which I appreciate, and doesn't suck all the moisture out of places that are supposed to be moist, which I appreciate even more.

I went with Lunette after doing piles of research (and limiting myself to the stuff they sold on Amazon because I'm a little in love with Prime). They only use plant dyes for the colorful ones, they're silicone, they don't have any lines on the inside and the vent holes are mid-sized so the cup is easier to clean, and they're smaller (or less long?) than most. I cut the stem off mine one ridge at a time until it was comfy for me.

I'm probably going to be one of those people that starts a collection of them whenever anyone sends me free Amazon money. I want one in any place I might need it so I don't have to get dirty or use a tampon. And also I'm a little afraid of dropping it in a public toilet and/or flushing it.

I recommend them to everyone! If the one you have doesn't fit right or gives you cramps, try a different one. I've heard of people trading used ones (not sure I think that's a good idea, but it would save money as they're not the cheapest things in the world). Really, the shape and size can make a difference. I started with the disposable softcups and they gave me cramps, but the small sized lunette cup has been lovely. To have the best bet of choosing what you think will be the best cup for you, go to that link that was posted earlier. That livejournal that was posted was helpful to me when I was picking, but I found the direct source to be even better - http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com/cup-stiffness-comparison-chart/ - she has stiffness, size, etc charts.

• 11 months later...

One more benefit: No questions from my three young kids about the giant boxes of tampons.  My friends have had to answer these inquiries, but not me!  I was to the point that my period disgusted me so much and the strings of tampons were causing me strange discomfort.  Mid-30s heavy periods--I just desperately searched the internet for some alternative.  So glad I made the switch. 

Diva cup... love it. I have an IUD and no problems with the strings, so don't let that prevent you from using it (I am also a women's health care provider and place IUDs, and tell my patients Diva cup is not a problem). My 17 yo daughter used a Diva cup when we were in Indonesia and, after figuring it out (ie, compress it before trying to remove it  :unsure:) she had no problems with it.

With respect to the concerns about cleaning it when camping/whatever, I used mine in Afghanistan with no issues. When we had no running water on the FOB, I rinsed it out in the porta-potty with a bottle of water I brought with me. Stressful, as I was afraid I'd drop it, but it worked well. It's hard to change a tampon every two hours as a helicopter pilot on an 8 hour flight...

Also, for cramps, I just bought the Ziivaa belt and I'm really impressed so far. I bought it out of desperation after cramping so bad on day 1 at a Zumba class that I was running out of both ends and had to call hubby to pick me up. Cramps were mostly over when I got it, but I'll let you all know how it goes...

I've got the FemmyCycle and I love it.  I still have a panty liner in during the day while I'm at work incase of the odd leak, but that doesn't happen very often.  I've only had it for about 4-5 months so I'm still adjusting.  As some other people have mentioned, if you're in public restrooms and need to empty, just wipe it off with some loo paper and give it a rinse next time you can.  The FC has a ring-pull instead of a stem, and it doesn't have suction holes like the others do, and it's got a leak-proof top. Just insert in a C-fold and it just pops out on it's own.  I do get a little achy at the end of my period when I take it out, but I don't get as much period pain.  And even though I had to pay international shipping as you can't buy them here, it's still going to be more economical than using tampons for a year, let alone several years! 

Just wanted to add in here...the Ziivaa Belt (http://www.ziivaa.com/) is amazing, life-shattering, and totally worth twice as much as I paid for it.

So. I've been off my birth control since last January and only last month did my cycle finally go back to what I remember it being in high school and college before I got onto BC. As in, cramps so bad I couldn't stand up and running out of both ends...and I've had two shoulder surgeries with rehab afterward, so I know a little about pain. It was awful - I couldn't function...luckily that hit me over a weekend last month so I didn't move the whole time. I found the Ziivaa and bought it on the worst day last month, but it got here too late to help.

Yes, I was totally skeptical. It was a $150 belt that was supposed to help with my cramps by compression. But in the end, I was desperate and got it anyways. Then this month happened. Today, I woke up and felt the cramps coming. My walk from the bed to the bathroom was in a funny not-quite-doubled-up-but-definitely-bent-over sort of way. Realized that today was the day to test out the claims on the Ziivaa. And it works. Oh my goodness, does it ever work. I had to go to work today, and it was a lot of work crammed into the day. I even had to skip lunch to finish the group project (we worked straight through from 0800 to 1500). And other than the occasional twinge of cramps while I was standing up, I have had no pain at all. I didn't think I was going to be able to work this morning because of cramps (they were that bad by the time I woke up) and, instead, I've been 95% pain free with the only pain I have had being easily handleable. 

If you have cramps that interrupt your life, get one! It takes 15 minutes! I promise you, I'm not getting paid for this. But if you don't like taking medicine and want to be able to function despite cramps, get it. I <3 this thing, and I've only had it for a month. I would've paid twice as much for this kind of relief, if I'd have known it was possible.

Archived