First Timer

jenh718

Hello :)

I am on day 5 of the Whole 30 and I feel really great.

I'm guessing it's because I didn't eat processed or fast food before hand although I did have snacking and sugar/carb issues. I haven't had any trouble sticking to the diet at all.

Is this normal?

Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation.

Today is Day 10 and it's the first day that I don't feel that great. I don't know if it's the weather (it's been rainy and grey all day and will be tomorrow) or my hormones or my body detoxing but I feel really down. Extremely low energy and sad. I tried to do my usual elliptical workout and I could barely make it through 20 minutes at the lowest intensity. My throat hurts and oddly enough I have stabbing pains in my breast. I haven't nursed in 8 years so it's safe to say it's not mastitis. I'm not sure what's going on?

Carb flu? I guess it could be me getting sick though it's weird to me because even pre Whole 30 I wasn't prone to sickness. Rare for me to have a cold or flu. Happens, but very infrequently and I've been taking such great care of myself!

Hey Jen, are you supplementing with Vitamin D, and where are you located? It could definitely have something to do with the dreary weather. Or maybe you just had crappy sleep? Lots of confounding factors, but just make sure you're eating enough!

Also, can anyone recommend a good calorie, nutrition tracking web site? I want to make sure my overall diet is appropriate.

Try FitDay.com

Good s/w, web and PC versions that synch up

Thanks Renee, I haven't been supplementing with D. My typical daily vitamins are fish oil (I hate fish so it's helpful), C, B Complex and Quercitin and Nettles (for my allergies). Think I should add D?

You know, I think it may have been a combo of weather (I'm in Saratoga Springs, NY and we had a couple of miserably rainy days in a row) and a diet slump. I did so well when I started the Whole 30 so I didn't understand what was going on.

Still a little perplexed by the breast pain but I'm going to chalk that up to hormones. It's happened before but never so severely.

Could be crappy sleep as well. I have been tossing and turning since I started the Whole 30.

You should always check in with a doc before adding new supplements to your regimen, but I think D is REALLY important, especially for women, in the Northeast, coming out of winter.

Personally, I notice a significant difference in mood when I forget to supplement and it's rainy in Boston, or I just don't get out for whatever reason. I like Healthy Origins. http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origins-Vitamin-D3-5-000-IU-360-Softgels/18335 I take 2 of those whenever I've been missing sun. I have a referral code that'll get you 5 dollars off your first order if you're interested, but since it gives me a small kickback too, I'll message it to you if you're interested to avoid shameless self-promotion. :)

I don't know that I would worry so much about counting calories. One of the liberating things about the Whole30 is that you can eat and be satisfied as long as you're eating the right foods. I love being able to eat when I'm hungry and eat until I'm full without worrying about numbers.

As for the slump in energy and mood...I had it in my second week of my first Whole30 but not this time around. I think it's a fairly common complaint based on conversation with my friends who did it. I hope it turns around and you feel better soon. Hang in there!

• 3 weeks later...

I can not believe it but today is day 30! I made it!

Not one cheat and I feel fabulous. I'm still battling personal sugar demons so the BF and I have decided to go a little longer. How long? I dont really know. As long as were enjoying ourselves and feeling good...

Congratulations! Such an acheivement. My husband is the sugar addict in our house (you would be disgusted if I listed it out- even he was) so I understand the cravings completely and would love to know what you did to power through them (esp. at their worst) since I am trying to convince my husband to try paleo/whole30.

Congratulations, Jen!

I am starting my second whole30 tomorrow. I just finished my first one last Wednesday. In reality I should've just kept going! That is my plan for this one. Hoping to make it more than 30 days :)

Thanks guys! This forum has been an invaluable resource while doing the Whole 30 and I appreciate the support and feedback.

@szwald I wish I had some answers for you but really it comes down to willpower for me. I really wanted to do this. I really hated how I was feeling pre Whole 30 so that was my incentive. I also did some things that were not fully condoned by the Whole 30 program. I probably drank more smoothies than I should have because they helped me feel less deprived and sometimes I just got sick of meat and/or eggs so I would have one for breakfast but I made sure that the rest of my day had a ton of protein and the smoothie was totally compliant ingredient wise. My favorite was kale (a lot), coconut milk, strawberries and blueberries.

I also made sure I had my favorite dried fruits on hand but then I made sure to still keep them in moderation. Dried pineapple rings saved me from cheating a couple of times. Nuts.com is a good source for unsweetened dried fruits, freeze dried fruits and nuts.

Good luck. I found that doing this with support (my boyfriend and I did it together) made it so much easier to do and dare I say, even fun. :)

Archived