Monkey Wrench or Driving Reason

Daryl Mitchell

So 3 days into this, I find out I have an umbilical hernia. I have been active in Crossfit for awhile and now suddenly that is going to take a backseat for 8 weeks at minimum due to appointment times and recovery time. I know it is just one of those things that comes up, but was looking forward to putting the Whole 30 together with my Crossfit and really dialing things in. I feel like I want to go home, drink a glass of wine and go to bed.

On the other hand I know that activity is going to be very limited and will need to really watch what I eat to keep the gains (really loses) that I have obtained over the past year and half eating 80% primal and doing Crossfit. I think the Whole 30 is probably the best way to do that.

.....kind of mixed emotions about it all right now. :unsure:

I so get this. Right after my first Whole30, I fell and broke both my tibia and fibula. I was done with my W30, but really was still doing it. After this happened, I wanted to eat twinkies and vodka. It just all made me so mad. I got over it. You will too. I remember a couple of my Cross Fit/Paleo people saying (right after surgery) that i would be working my upper body even if I couldn't do a thing about my lower body. That made me even madder. :) This too shall pass. Just give it time and don't let yourself go off the ledge until you really think it through.

Just remember, food is not going to fix the emotions you're feeling over this. I totally get how devastating getting pulled out activity is. I had two fingers crushed on the final walk through of my house last year which made it so I couldn't help move, unpack my first house, garden, or do yoga - for 13 weeks. It was devastating to me, and I imagine how it would be for you to have this going on.

I think it's totally ok to mourn and feel sad about it, but you know unhealthy food isn't going to improve that feeling for you. What may improve things, though, is eating totally clean so that you can reap the benefits of that. It goes so much deeper than your appearance to eat clean. It can greatly improve your emotional state, and I imagine that will only help you through. So sorry you're going through this!!

Day 4 is going to be fun. I have spent the morning researching exercises that are ok. Seems like "moving heavy things fast" are not prescribed. So going to walk today, go swim tomorrow and may try a light jog on Sunday. I gotta do something, otherwise I will turn into Grumpy.

I sprained my ankle just as I was getting into the activity after my whole 30,it set me back by 6 weeks and I am not 100% healed yet.

I then followed it up with a badly pulled muscle in my shoulder blade and I am still recovering from that.

I did fall into a pit of bad eating and only now I am coming out of that(I hope).

The thing I would say to you is stick with the whole 30,it's not worth it to cave.I could be so much farther ahead but I'm here.It's where I am but I wish I had just sucked it up and stuck with it.

Good luck with your recovery and your whole 30!

I was able to find that riding a recumbent bike is ok. 40 minutes on it at what used to be my upper capacity, before I started Crossfit, and I barely broke a sweat. I just don't want to get into the "chronic cardio" ditch either. I am going to try to mix it up the best I can.

• 4 weeks later...

So last Monday I went to the surgeon, and the knot, that my PCP thought was a hernia was almost gone. The surgeon went through a thorough examination and said he didn't find a hernia. He said I did have an unusual amount of scar tissue from where the umbilical healed when I was a child. He noticed that my skin was baggy and asked if I had lost a lot of weight. I told him my story, about Crossfit, etc. The idea is that I now have built up my abs and that my new found muscles were pressing against the scar tissue causing irritation and inflamation . He told me that I was fine and my body would adjust. So I went back to Crossfit the next day, and my energy levels have been great, even today after moving furniture all weekend, I kicked butt on the WOD. I just need to focus in on eating more sweet potatoes after CF to help my energy levels stay focused.

Great news!!! Good life lesson even if just a close call.... Life will always throw us curve balls, great to know that you can turn a crappy pitch into a home run!!

I don't do Crossfit, but workout at a MMA / Israeli combat tactics school, and our workouts are between cross fit any Navy Seals washout trials.... And we have ranking/ sparing for the Joe Lewis kickboxing system.... About a year ago my knee totally gave out ... Long story, got depressed, couldn't fight,blah blah.........switched to 100% paleo over 6 months ago, now doing my 1st W30... I dropped from a heavy weight to a light heavy and on the road to a middle weight .... So I sacrificed muscle, and brute strength, but I'm much much faster and nimble and I won't need a total knee replacement at this weight ... My attitude is so much better and I know that I can take what ever life throws at me even through my injury is minor compared to what others deal with as far as chronic illness goes...

We shall adapt!!!

Oh..... And I'm sure a good part of my knee problem was due to chronic inflammation.... Since paleo and particularly W30 I've barely felt a twinge.....

Good luck

Archived