Possible new allergy? Do I restart?

AshleyK

Hi everybody! I'm doing my first round of Whole 30 (on day 5) and I'm not sure if it was either a combo of too much onion or too much pepper but now I'm having a small allergic reaction (lip swelling) should I cut these out as well and start over with the program? Or should I take a small break from them and continue on and just keep watching things? I'm used to my mouth swelling when I have gluten so it's weird it's done this now. I know I went kinda heavy on the pepper and onions today which is why i think it was one of those causing this.

Also sorry of this was the wrong board to post in.

• Moderators

You don't need to start over -- you didn't eat anything that isn't allowed on Whole30. If you get to the end of your 30 days and feel like this has had a major impact on your results, you can always add some days on to the end.

If you suspect you're allergic to onions or peppers or both, leave them out for a while. You might talk to your doctor about this, we can't really give you medical advice, but food allergies can be unpredictable for some people -- it may just be a little swelling now, but as far as I know, there's no way to predict if it will get worse next time, so check with a doctor and find out what would be best to do. If you do end up having them again, I wouldn't have them both at once, have one, check for reactions, wait a few days, have the other.  That way if it's just one or the other, you know for sure and don't have to give both up.

(I'm sure you've thought of this, but you did double check any seasonings or other foods you had, to be sure there's no way there's gluten in anything else and that might be what you're reacting to, right? Since it feels similar to that reaction, I'd probably double check everything just to be sure.)

I did my best to check everything but my boyfriend cooked dinner when I was at work and he said he only did pepper, fish and onion. I'm kind just hoping maybe it was just too much onion for one day. I'll take a break and once this flare up is gone I'll try to pin point if it's one or the other. 

Archived