Working at a Restaurant

RudyetRose

Hello all!

I'm only on day 3 of my 30, but I have a question that has been bothering me long before I began. I work at a restaurant in NYC and our menu and cocktail list changes constantly. We are required to have tastings before shifts to perfectly explain and sell food and beverages to our guests. Being on Whole 30, I cannot taste most of our new dishes to help explain them better. I'm very serious about sticking to the entire Whole 30 program, so I don't want to even take a sip of a cocktail and have to start over. I also don't want to offend my chef or managers by not tasting the food or drinks. Does anyone have any advice on this situation? I was thinking I could always sip a drink or take a small bite and then spit it out...

Thanks,

Stephen

• Administrators

Hi @RudyetRose - We have had lots of restauranteurs, pastry chefs, bakers, cooks, servers, bartenders etc who have to taste food. A common practice is to taste the food and then spit it out if the goal is just to know what the flavour is. Some choose to go the route of having the flavour/taste explained to them by someone else as would be the case if you actually had an allergy to something and wouldn't be expected to eat it. 

To be honest I'm always surprised that the "tasting for recommendations" is a thing because what you think something tastes like isn't going to do anything for what I might think it tastes like. If I, as a customer, asked you what a certain cocktail tasted like, I would expect a response like "fruity with a bit of fizz" or "kind of tart from the grapefruit juice with a salted rim". Both of which descriptions you could give without ever having it pass your lips. :) 

But to answer your question, yes, you can do the spit thing. 

Archived