Costco Sun dried Tomatoes - whole 30 approved?

Ryder's mom

Is the sun dried tomatoes from Costco whole 30 approved?

ingredients: sun dried Roma tomatoes, olive oil (pure olive oil, extra virgin olive oil), garlic, herbs, spices, contains sulfites (for color retention)

I assume that since the ingredient states "contains sulfites", that it is a NO. I googled "Costco sun dried tomatoes on whole 30" and I am getting mixed answers. Some say this particular sun dried tomatoe is whole 30 approved, and they even show the picture of this exact one as a good pantry staple.

Please clarify for me.

• Administrators

Some foods naturally have sulphites.  It's the ones they add after that are a problem. This one confuses me though. Normally if the statement says "contains sulphites" outside of the ingredient list, we rule it as a statement and not an added ingredient. The fact that they say "to preserve color" though would lead me to believe that it was something they chose to add in which would render it Non compliant.

I would personally avoid these because I'm not sure.

As far as the packaging and branding goes, companies have different formulas and ingredients in different areas so while they might look the same, you always have to read the ingredients of the actual thing you are planning to use.

I'm interested to get another mod's take on this one. 

• Moderators

I agree @ladyshanny, the fact that the manufacturer put the reason for the sulfites on the label leads me to believe they would have added them for the purpose of retaining color.  If they were naturally occurring, no such statement would need to be made... it's nice that the company is transparent for why they're putting additives, but in this case, they would be out for the Whole30 as you said.

Archived