Weigh-in anxiety

csullivan18

Disclaimer: I have not been on the scale since Day 0.  I am on Day 14, this is my first Whole30.

So in the 2 weeks that I've been strictly abiding by the rules of Whole30 I've seen a lot of change in my body composition. My stomach is flatter, my thighs are thinner, and when I lift weights my arms are noticeably more lean.  However, I have this sneaky suspicion that on Day 31 when I get on a scale I'm going to be sorely disappointed.  I know the Whole30 isn't presented as a weight loss challenge, and I'm desperately trying to remove pre-conceived ideas that I should lose weight.

If it were up to me I'd never step on a scale again, but here's the thing: On January 23rd, they're starting an incentive based challenge at work (meaning if I complete it I get money).  It's an 8 week challenge starting 4 days before my Day 31. I want to do this because, hey, easy money... On the other hand, part of the challenge incorporates weight loss. I could theoretically complete the challenge without losing a pound, but I have to make sure I do cardio and weight training every time I go to the gym and I have to go 5 days a week.  I try to hit the gym 5 days a week, but I work full-time, go to school, I'm a wife, a mom, and I have a household to run.  Sometimes 5 days a week doesn't always happen.  

Does anyone have some words of encouragement for how to handle potential weight loss disappointment? 

• Administrators

First, I would not get on the scale. If you are happy seeing Non scale based improvements, leave it at that. 

If you do want to do this challenge at work, let them weight you but tell them you don't want to know any scale results at all. Win, lose or draw, they can know, you don't want to.

Would that work?

There's a tracker that is self-maintained that includes a weekly weigh-in.  While I could get our coordinator to withhold my start weight until the 28th I'd have to maintain it thereafter.  

I have until next week to figure out how to work around this.  Either I refuse to weigh-in or I get over it.  There are several challenges like this during the year and they always require weigh-ins. 

I have a coaching appointment with our coordinator tomorrow, so I'll talk to her some more about it and update afterwards. 

• Administrators

Get a girlfriend or spouse to take your weight and enter it if you really don't want to know it.

Or, honestly, and I mean this in the nicest way: you are an adult and if you do not want to know what you weigh because you understand that it means nothing, then just don't do it. :) 

Archived