In need of quick lunch ideas!

AmyEWang

Hi Whole30 family, 

I am new to Whole30 and was hoping I could get some feedback on quick lunch ideas for my husband. My husband is a resident and has sporadic lunch times (that's if he gets time or remembers to eat). We have not started the program, as I just received the book, but I wanted to get some ideas for him. As of right now, his lunches consists of a turkey sandwiches, vegetables and fruit. It's quick, doesn't require much effort, and he can eat on the go. 

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Canned chicken or tuna with homemade mayo (takes 5 min with an immersion blender and room temp egg, light olive oil, and mustard powder) or mashed avocado and you can add veggies to that (carrot or celery) or have them on the side. A piece of fruit wouldn't hurt, it's recommended to have no more than 1-2 pieces a day and with a meal, not by itself as a snack.

• Moderators

Meatballs (meljoulwan.com has a lot of different flavoring ideas), grilled chicken cut into strips, frittatas are all good hot or cold and easy to eat. Pair with salads (and not just leafy green ones -- Google whole30 broccoli salad, or beet salad, or potato salad, or go to meljoulwan.com and use the search button there to search salad, she has several that aren't just piles of lettuce), leftover roasted vegetables, vegetable soups. Add olives or guacamole or mayo for dipping for the fat.

I cook 1lb of ground chicken (light and dark meat mixed) with homemade goya sazon seasoning every few days.  I send my honey off to work with a scoop of ground chicken, 5 butter lettuce leaves (or romaine), a handful of grape tomatoes, an avocado, with an apple or pear and sometimes a lime.  

The ground chicken also works well well as a salad on spinach.  

20170122_211942.JPG

I always bring leftovers with me to work from the night before. It has totally saved my life... I can't stand preparing lunch for myself before work in the morning so I can just grab my leftovers and leave in the morning! I always just make sure to make twice as much as I need the night before so I'll have leftovers. I make a lot of curry and greens - last night I made (compliant!) bacon-wrapped chicken breasts stuffed with spinach and mushrooms.... I was feeling fancy ;). But I just made two of those so that is my lunch today. Does your husband have a refrigerator/microwave he can use at work? If that's the case, I think leftovers might be the way to go. It might not be quite as "on the go" as he needs but I feel like it's quick enough for him to get done in 15 minutes or less.

Just make a little extra at dinner so he knows he'll have something to bring with him the next morning, and he can even pack it up the night before so it's right there in the fridge when he's leaving. He can also grab an avocado (very filling), some raw veggies (I love carrots and bell peppers) or a piece of fruit if he needs some extra quick food to keep him full. 

I hope this helps! I am about halfway through my first Whole30 and I love it so far. It's definitely not easy but I have been so much more creative in the kitchen and that part of it has been really fun.

Thank you for all the great ideas! I'm feeling confident he'll stick with it now that I have more ideas for lunch and even breakfast (cold frittatas for the win!). He's out of the house for about 14 hours, 5 days a week. Hoping whole 30 will help with his IBS.

Archived