Day10-14 - Itching all over

Hello,

Has anyone else experienced this?   I'm 14 days in, and itch all over.  Primarily my low back and hips, but also belly, shins, upper back and arms.  It started in around day 10, and gets more frequent/intense/further reaching each day.   No rash, just itching.

What's really confounding me is that itching on my low back is not unusual if I drink beer or wine, or just eat poorly (sugar, fried foods, cocktails, etc) in general.  But why would I itch when I haven't had any of those things for 2 weeks?

At first I thought it might be due to my go-to's that I've been eating a lot of.  These are things I already ate several times a week, but on Whole30, eat them even more: chicken, coconut milk, curry paste, blueberries, almonds.   However, I just spent a couple days visiting family, and ate completely different things ... yet the itching just got worse.

Is it a detox phase of sorts?

Thank you in advance.  I appreciate any insight you might have.

Hey there :)

It sounds like you could be having a histamine response or similar. Could you list out exactly what you have eaten over the past 4-5 days giving specifics on veg types (ie. don't just say roast veggies, or lots of veggies we want to know exactly which types....)

That said have a think about any recent changes in shower gels, washing detergents etc., as it's entirely possible it isn't food related.

Thanks!  The last 4 days of food, working backwards from last night , I started the items that I already eat regularly ....

Sunday - Hash of zucchini, potato, pesto (no chz), pork sausage, carrot, avocado*, egg*

Eggs*, bell pepper*, mushroom, potato

Saturday - Bell pepper*, green olives, pork sausage, calamari (sauteed), egg*, potato, decaf coffee*

Hash of zucchini, potato, pesto (no chz),  pork sausage, carrot, avocado*, egg*, tomato juice, regular coffee*

Friday - chicken, tomato, onion, carrot, eggplant

Blueberries*, Turkey sausage

Chicken*, coconut milk*, curry paste*, carrot, cauliflower*, green beans*, decaf coffee*

Thursday - Blackened Rockfish, homemade Chipotle mayo, avocado*, banana, tahini

Spring greens*, homemade vinaigrette*, sunflower seeds*

Chicken*, coconut milk*, curry paste*, carrot, cauliflower*, green beans*, decaf coffee*

Wednesday - mango, pineapple, blueberry*, papaya bowl

Blackened Rockfish, homemade Chipotle mayo, avocado*

Pulled pork, chicken verde, roasted cauliflower, carrot, parsnip

Ok, so there are definitely some medium & high level histamine foods in there - the fish & the vinaigrette would be high (along with any processed meats so possibly the turkey sausage), things like papaya, avocado, tomato, mushrooms & eggplant would be considered medium.

Then a number of those foods also cause your body to release more histamine (again papaya, tomatoes, fish, pork & nuts).

With histamines it's a lot to do with the level of dosage, so it's possible you can tolerate all of these foods in small quantities but you've just reached & surpassed your threshold with Whole30 hence the onset of the itching.

If you haven't seen any improvement as yet you could do well cutting back on these foods to see how you go....

>This< is quite a good UK based one, although the foods won;t change from country to country so it's all relevant.

Note also the histamine liberators as I mentioned above - when you're having a reaction these can be just as damaging.

Once you've cut back & seen improvement you should be able to start reintroducing again.

Hope this helps - let us know how you get on! :)

5 hours ago, jmcbn said:

>This< is quite a good UK based one, although the foods won;t change from country to country so it's all relevant.

Note also the histamine liberators as I mentioned above - when you're having a reaction these can be just as damaging.

Once you've cut back & seen improvement you should be able to start reintroducing again.

Hope this helps - let us know how you get on! :)

On day 16 and have noticed some occasional bothersome itching, but unlike Websterdaisy's experiences it does not seem to be increasing but rather waning in significance for me.  Could this be a natural part of the body adjusting to eating this way?   

Hello, Day 7 and 8 have included whole body itching for me as well. Did any of yours above get better as you progressed through the program? I wasn't mentally prepared to itch - all over - all day. I read through the histamine list and it certainly seems possible it could be some of the foods. That said, eliminating the high histamine foods only makes things that much harder. I'm really hoping it will pass in a day or two? Seems like a common "side effect" given the number of threads that mention it. 

3 hours ago, 4WickBoys said:

Seems like a common "side effect"

I'd say it's not common, but certainly not rare. It can be a part of the detox process, but some folk do find they have a histamine intolerance, or an intoelrance to nightshades. It's worth keeping a food log just to see if any patterns develop - especially if symptoms don't subside. Are you eating a lot of white potatoes?

Again, consider any external factors like a change in shower gel, or washing detergent. Or if you've possibly been in contact with some environmental allergen...

Archived