Starting TOMORROW! January 29

jmo472

Hi Everyone, my name is Jackie. I am the proud mother of a 2 year old little girl, and for most of my life have struggled with depression, terrible acne and other skin issues, and since I've had my daughter, add thyroid, hormonal imbalance and anemia to the list, along with chronic fatigue, headaches and tons of intestinal discomfort. I am beyond excited to start my Whole 30 journey, but I am also incredibly nervous about being able to keep up with it even for 30 days, let alone the rest of my life even with alterations, I am glad we have a place to seek support and guidance and I wish you all the best of luck as well!!

Hey caseypo and jmo472 :) 

I'm starting as of now! 

@jmo472 you just described my life right there! And whole30 does really clear up your acne as it did with mine! I fell off the bandwagon a couple of months ago but I'm trying to myself there again :) 

@caseypo I'm glad everything is working for you! What are your motivations? Let's keep each other strong as we go through this journey together! 

Hi everyone,

I'm Maura and I started on the 29th (I guess that was only yesterday :))

Already have to go to a work dinner tonight so that is going to be interesting...menu did not look very Whole30 friendly but I know I can find something that'll work.

OK, have a great day all -

Maura

Hi @Tokyo00hanaco! I go through waves of eating well and eating horribly. I'm hoping this will once and for all change my relationship with food, so I can find a balance and learn to treat food as fuel, and not as pleasure. I'm optimistic! How was your first day!

Hello @mm3! I've been nervous about my first experience out, since you never know where food is from or how it was prepared. If I were in your situation so early on in Whole30, I might bring a backup snack that's compliant, just in case they don't have compliant food and you get tempted! Good luck at your work dinner!

Where is everyone in this thread from? I'm in San Diego, CA :)

Good morning, everyone! I originally started my first W30 on Jan. 2 - but got the stomach flu last week so my W30 became a W24 with no reintroduction. After some encouragement from my husband and discovering a bunch of issues that returned when I went off plan (and with no reintro, I don't know what the problem foods are) - I started again yesterday! I'm looking forward to 30 days (well, 29 now) of good eating and NSVs!

4 hours ago, caseypo said:

Hi @Tokyo00hanaco! I go through waves of eating well and eating horribly. I'm hoping this will once and for all change my relationship with food, so I can find a balance and learn to treat food as fuel, and not as pleasure. I'm optimistic! How was your first day!

Hello @mm3! I've been nervous about my first experience out, since you never know where food is from or how it was prepared. If I were in your situation so early on in Whole30, I might bring a backup snack that's compliant, just in case they don't have compliant food and you get tempted! Good luck at your work dinner!

Where is everyone in this thread from? I'm in San Diego, CA :)

Good morning @caseypo :) 

day 1 was not good.... I'll be honest. I didn't have time to eat breakfast since I had a class that started at 8:30 am (it takes me 1 hour and a half to get to school) so I skipped breakfast. During class I got really depressed (also blaming that the class was a statistics course) and my friendly kindly offered me a almond coconut kind bar.... I took it and immediately regretted it because it was waaaaay too sweet for the first meal of the day. Expecting a sugar crash on the way home but hoping I can get over it by the evening and make some whole30 compliant chicken soup for dinner tonight.

how was your first day?? 

5 hours ago, OkieGina said:

Good morning, everyone! I originally started my first W30 on Jan. 2 - but got the stomach flu last week so my W30 became a W24 with no reintroduction. After some encouragement from my husband and discovering a bunch of issues that returned when I went off plan (and with no reintro, I don't know what the problem foods are) - I started again yesterday! I'm looking forward to 30 days (well, 29 now) of good eating and NSVs!

I admire your ability to stay persistent! If it wasn't for your stomach flu you would've probably completed the program! It's good that you're extending your whole30 because I find that's what others do as well in order for more lasting effects :) 

Hi @caseypo (and everyone!) Great to meet you all here. To answer your question - I am in Washington D.C. My second day went OK - the restaurant was very accommodating and made me a plain grilled piece of salmon, then I had a beet and fennel salad with no dressing, just lemon , and some grilled brussell sprouts. So: phew! will be in the next couple nights and cooking at home. Please let me know if you have any favorite recipes.

Onward!

Hey all! 

Day two was the first day I went to work, and everything worked out well! I made a slow cooker chicken vegetable soup/thing and brought that to reheat. Way yummy! The only issue was that I didn't get anything to snack on, so I was super hungry by the time lunch rolled around! I read on Whole30 that the RxBar from Trader Joe's is compliant, and got one of those on a break - YUMMY! Totally recommend. 

@Tokyo00hanacokeep on persisting! Once we get into the groove of this, I'm sure it'll be a little easier. I'm already finding ways I can be more prepared and such. 

@mm3that's exciting to know the restaurant could make accommodations for you - sounds tasty. Good luck with your home cooking! I've pretty much never left the kitchen the past three days. SO. MUCH. COOKING.

Had a little snafu with my lamb not defrosting in time to make dinner tonight! So having some leftover cauliflower pie from breakfast.

Good luck on day three everyone!

18 hours ago, Tokyo00hanaco said:

I admire your ability to stay persistent! If it wasn't for your stomach flu you would've probably completed the program! It's good that you're extending your whole30 because I find that's what others do as well in order for more lasting effects :) 

Thanks! I have to be honest - I wasn't really wanting to start another W30 immediately. But when I got up Sunday, I noticed some aches and pains and sleep issues had already returned. That made me realize how much better I felt (maybe not Tiger Blood, but definitely better) doing W30 which really motivated me to start over. I guess that's the only way I can figure out what foods are causing the issues.

It does get easier, everyone! After a week or so, you'll get into a groove and figure out how this works for you. For me, that means planning about a week in advance. I usually plan next week's meals on Wednesday or Thursday, go grocery shopping after work on Thursday or Friday, then cook A LOT on the weekend. I usually cook 3-4 "meals" that will cover multiple meals (I don't mind leftovers!), and a few "extras" that can get thrown in wherever (meatballs, a whole chicken to shred and use in salad, roasted potatoes, etc.). Oh - and a breakfast casserole. I usually only have time to cook dinner 1 or 2 nights a week, so this works best for me. And now I really appreciate all the meal prep - it makes my hectic evenings (and mornings) much easier.

Oh - and to answer the earlier question - I'm in Oklahoma.

@caseypo and @mm3 Here the link to my current favorite breakfast casserole:

www.plaidandpaleo.com/2013/11/paleo-sausage-and-sweet-potato.html

I've been it eating for 2 and a half weeks and still like it! I've made it with both sausage and bacon (never really paid attention to the amount of either - just used a package) and whatever greens I have on hand. I've never added the onion - my husband is allergic. I usually make it on the weekend, then slice it up (12 slices = 1 egg each!) and eat on it through the week (and then some if hubby doesn't eat). Some mornings, I add hot sauce to it. Recently, I've been topping my morning slice with part of an avocado. It's also pretty solid - so would be easy to eat on the go if needed.

Luckily, I'm not one of the ones who gets sick of eggs for breakfast. Although I usually do cook them differently on the weekend.

Thanks from me too, @OkieGina - casserole looks great!

I am down for the count with a bad cold - have not had one for a couple years, but I usually take Zicam at the first hint that I might be coming down with something...well, I looked and Zicam has sugar in it as do most forms of zinc. So that was out and here I sit with a whopping cold and sore throat. Oh well! At least I am not hungry. Anyone else been sick? I am going to make some ginger tea and see if that helps. @caseypo I was very lethargic yesterday with major headache too. Looking forward to rest and feeling better soon. Take care all!

Oy, what a helpless feeling. Did you check any of the forums @mm3? I wonder if anyone has used any remedies that you can make from scratch that you can use. 

Another day of frustrating headache! It's not pounding, it's not debilitating, but it hurts and it's constant! I work with kids, and my patience has just been shot today. Please tell me I'm in good company!

How has everyone's eating been? Found any yummy snacks or good meal planning meals?

Happy day five!

Hi Everyone! I started on 1/29 too and I'm feeling well!  A little about me; my name is Michelle, Im a mother to an almost 3 year old boy and a 6 month old boy and currently breastfeeding the 6 month old.  Before having them I ate fairly healthy, worked out multiple days a week and lived a very active social life.  I decided to start Whole 30 because I truly felt like I need a reset and  I always make some excuse because we have so much going on socially it would be to hard or it gets pushed out another month. I had developed bad food habits through both my pregnancies that carried on into post birth and Im also having difficulty losing the baby weight as quickly as I did with my first when I didn't even really have to try to. 

I work full time and fitting in exercise is tougher now with 2 kids than ever before and I truly feel like I need to change my relationship with food first before  I incorporate exercise back into my life. I love to cook and find this program quite intriguing and so far am enjoying the journey. I have a social event every weekend this month and I am determined to make it through regardless of what's in front of me; and I have prepared a game plan!

Good luck to everyone!

Hi @mtex1985! welcome to Day 10! Sorry for slow welcome but that cold really had me down. It's still hanging on - many here in D.C have the same so I cannot attribute it to change in diet. It has kept me from exercising but you are reminding me to pack my gym clothes.

I leave on a trip this Thursday and need to pack well. Another thing I'll toss in my bag - I've discovered nutpods which are a mix of almond and coconut milk, for coffee - delicious! I buy them via Amazon. Anyone else have travel/food suggestions? I have a couple cashew Larabars, just in case, but am trying to stay away from that kind of thing.

BTW @caseypo I am cranky at times and then feeling kind of joyful within moments. Odd.

OK, hope all are doing well! Cannot believe how quickly it is going (at least right now) :)

Wow...our thread went a little dormant there. Not that I'm really in any position to talk...;)

How's everyone doing so far? I'm still chugging along here. Luckily, the aches and pains that came back when I get sick last month and went off plan have gone away again. Now I'm just dealing with a horrible allergy attack. I'd like to get my hands on some bone broth to see if that will help, but I haven't had time to make any. I think I saw some in a Sprouts ad recently - but I haven't had a chance to check it out. Does anyone know if it's compliant?

We're over halfway there!

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, kirkor said:

I mean...hopefully everyone, right?? :o

I know it is a part of the process that is recommended, but I didn't think it was required. I'm doing it, but I know of other people who have done Whole30 and not done the reintroduction. Am I wrong?

Archived