Terrified of overeating

Emw30

Hello all! This is day 3 of my first ever whole30. I meal prepped like a boss on Sunday and I feel super prepared for this week and hopefully the weeks ahead. My question is this, is there such a thing as eating too much food? My whole thing for doing the whole 30 is to find a healthy balance with my eating. Before starting the whole 30 I thought I ate pretty good. My biggest downfall was peanut butter. But my whole thing is I have never been able to control my portions myself. Maybe its because im so use to weighing and measuring everything because that's what works for me. If i give a plan of what I ate today can you let me know if I'm okay so far?                                           For breakfast I had two boiled eggs with half an avocado and half banana. For lunch I had a chicken salad with chicken, carrots, celery, peppers, green olives and the whole 30 mayo. It was about 6 to 8 olives. The bowl was a medium sized bowl. I didn't over do it or anything. I also had a half green apple on the side. For a snack around 3 I had organic sliced coconuts, toasted. A handful. For dinner at 5 I had the sweet potatoes shepherds pie from the book. Now I took out about 1 serving and I'm like no I'm hungry, took out another, so it was about half my plate. I don't eat after dinner as I find myself feeling better in the morning. Although write now I feel like I'm in the clouds and my head is pounding. Day 3 please be over. Any tips or help would be great. In so scared of putting on weight when the whole purpose of me doing this was to be free from having to constantly calorie count. I just want to be happy and I think I'm beating myself up over having that second square of the shepherds pie. I don't feel gross like I normally would if I over ate but I think its all in my head saying I should have only ate one serving.

• Moderators

If you follow the meal template, you're probably not going to overeat. It may feel like a lot of food, especially if you come from a background of restricting your food, but you won't be overeating.  You're really unlikely to overeat if you're eating real, whole foods, combined into meals that have protein, fat, and vegetables. These kinds of foods tend to trigger natural satiety signals. Eat mindfully, not while watching tv or looking at facebook, but while paying attention to your food, and your body will start letting you know when it's full. It may take a little time to figure it out, but you'll get there. In the meantime, you're eating nutrient-rich foods that are making you healthier.

When eggs are your only protein source, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand -- so probably 3-4.

At every meal, even breakfast, have lots of vegetables. The meal template says fill the plate with vegetables.

The thing about casserole-type dishes is that it looks like a lot of food, but when you break it down, it's really not as much as you think. The Shepherd's Pie in the Whole30 book says it serves 2. Unless you ate more than half of it, you didn't have more than one serving, and even if you did, it's okay to eat if you're hungry.

Keep in mind as you go through this month that there are days when you're going to be hungrier, and it is fine to eat more if you are hungry. For women especially, there are certain times of the month -- usually the week or so leading up to your period -- when it's absolutely natural to be more hungry. It's part of your body getting ready to possibly grow a small human, which takes lots of energy and extra resources. Don't worry about it, eat if you're hungry, and know that it will pass in a few days. If you're hungry between meals, have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

I love the clarity being offered from the moderator (above). I have also felt afraid of portions and calories but as I moved through my first W30 I realized that was a symptom of being a slave to the scale and to calorie based food journals/ apps. During my W30 I opted to keep a written journal where I wrote down what I ate, the time I ate it, how much water I drank and any other beverages. I made notes about mood and energy levels and wrote down whatever I did for a workout that day. I also wrote down sleep and wake times. This way of journaling helped me to read my body's signals better and also helped me make good choices throughout the day. Just a few examples... I realized early on that I was not good at incorporating veggies into my first meal of the day so I started making extra veggies each evening with dinner and saving some aside for the morning. It is different to eat roasted Brussels sprouts in the morning but I did it and felt better knowing I was following the meal template more accurately. I also was eating 1/2 an avocado at a time and then realized that a portion of fat was supposed to be the size of my thumb so I adjusted that down to 1/4. I tried to eat 4 eggs at a time because that's how many I could hold in one hand but it was way too much, so I adjusted down to 3. I learned that casserole type meals didn't work for me as well as a palm sized portion of protein, a fist size portion of starchy veg and the rest of the plate covered in green veggies. (Fat could be a few olives or a drizzle of ghee over broccoli.) I learned that coconut milk is a "food without brakes" for me and learned to keep it to a minimum. All these things and more were revealed as I made my way through the 30 days. I also extended my first round to 60 days because I realized about 3 weeks in that I had been eating canned tuna that was not compliant with the program because it had soy in the ingredients list. Rather than get frustrated I took it as a learning experience and moved on. I want to encourage you to trust this process and stick with it because I truly believe you can reach your goal of freedom from calorie counting and weighing. The first week can be rough and full of ups and downs but it is so worth it in the end. Best of luck to you!

Thank you guys for all the info and advice. I greatly appreciate it! I will take that all into consideration and keep going stronger! So if I were to have two eggs, spinach, cauliflower rice and homemade ground turkey meat ball for breakfast would that be ok? If i add half a banana is that over board?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Emw30 said:

Thank you guys for all the info and advice. I greatly appreciate it! I will take that all into consideration and keep going stronger! So if I were to have two eggs, spinach, cauliflower rice and homemade ground turkey meat ball for breakfast would that be ok? If i add half a banana is that over board?

This is fine. You might even need a little more fat with the meal. If you eat the main meal and still want the banana, have the banana.

Sorry just one more question! I have been cooking with extra light olive oil since day 1 (currently on day 4). How much is too much when cooking with it? I am generally following the 1 to 2 thumb size rule per meal I just feel like it's so much. I use to cook with Pam before lol. So this is different. Like for example tonight I cooked some sweet potatoes and onions in oil and some ground turkey in some as well. Then I cooked my veggies in the same pan but added no oil and just threw in a bit of water so they wouldn't stick or burn. I don't feel greasy but maybe it's more then I'm use to? Is that okay to cook with it all the time? I guess I could buy some ghee tomorow and give that a try? Is it better or just the same? I never cooked with butter before so taste makes no difference. Just health wise. By the way day 4 has been great. Yesterday wanted to crawl into a hole. Today much better. 

13 minutes ago, Emw30 said:

Sorry just one more question! I have been cooking with extra light olive oil since day 1 (currently on day 4). How much is too much when cooking with it? I am generally following the 1 to 2 thumb size rule per meal I just feel like it's so much. I use to cook with Pam before lol. So this is different. Like for example tonight I cooked some sweet potatoes and onions in oil and some ground turkey in some as well. Then I cooked my veggies in the same pan but added no oil and just threw in a bit of water so they wouldn't stick or burn. I don't feel greasy but maybe it's more then I'm use to? Is that okay to cook with it all the time? I guess I could buy some ghee tomorow and give that a try? Is it better or just the same? I never cooked with butter before so taste makes no difference. Just health wise. By the way day 4 has been great. Yesterday wanted to crawl into a hole. Today much better. 

Cook with as much olive oil as you wish. Generally, you don't even count cooking fats as your 1-2 thumbs of fats as so much stays in the pan. So, that would mean that you would ADD another fat such as oil on a salad, or ghee or mayo or 1/2 an avocado or a handful of olives, etc.

Fat is your friend! It will help you stay satisfied between meals, counter any cravings for sweet things, help your brain function and much more.

I don't think I've ever read about someone new to the program eating too much if they are following the template. But I've seen those who are new to Whole30 eating too little.

The meal template (linked above) is your path to the most benefits from your Whole30.

On 2/8/2017 at 7:13 PM, ArtFossil said:

@Little_Ramona that is an awesome post, with your valuable and hard-earned experience!

Just one note: if you look at the meal template you'll see that not all fats follow the 1-2 thumbs recommendation. Avocados, for example, are 1/2 to 1; olives are 1-2 open handfuls, etc. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

@ArtFossil Thank you for clarifying this! I stand corrected!

Archived