Getting Ready to Start.. Completely Terrified

brandyontherun

Hello,

I'm in the planning stages of getting ready for my first go at the Whole30.  I've done my if/then lists and made my intentions clear to my spouse. I'm currently working on the meal plan and I was super confident until now!  Now I'm terrified!  I don't have a lot of cooking skills and as I put together my meal plan, based on the whole30 recipes in the book and our own regular fruits/veggies/meats, I'm realizing this is going to be a lot of work and will require a lot of planning and prep all throughout.  So any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated in regards to meal planning.

Also, I'm pretty active.  I workout 5-6 days/week for 60-75 minutes.  I'm training for a half marathon (May), Spartan races (July & September), and a few other runs.  I want to make sure I'm still fueled well through this process.  Any pointers on foods to include in my plan? 

I'm looking at starting either this weekend, Feb 12, or next, Feb 19.

Thanks in advance! Brandy

I'm just starting myself, but one thing I've realized already is that it really helps to have something quick you can throw together that you actually like to eat (in my case, I wound up making a giant pot of no-bean chili loaded with vegetables on day 2, after realizing I didn't really like anything that I had prepped beforehand - ack!)

I'm on day 8 of reintro after completing my January Whole30. Before taking the plunge I was also scared but being on the other side of it I can say it's the best thing I've ever done for myself.

That being said it is a lot of work and I spent a *lot* of time in the kitchen and still am.

What helped me was-

-breakfast frittata or casserole for tight weekday schedules. Make it on Sunday and heat and eat during the week

-no-cook protein and homemade mayo for days when you don't have a lunch or dinner plan, I am not a big canned tuna or salmon person so I used chicken. homemade mayo with an immersion blender (made in the cup it comes with) takes 5 min, tops, just use room temp ingredients

-"go to" meal when you don't feel like making something elaborate out of the cookbook- can't tell you how many nights I had a simple steak/chicken/burger seasoned with salt & pepper cooked in a little fat with 2-3 roasted veggies on the side.

-dishwasher! if you have one use it for everything. I have glass tupperwares so I stuck all of them in there all the time. saved a ton of time.

Good luck & try to enjoy!

I agree.  Terrified is a good word for it.    It is just my husband and myself.   He won't do it, but he does eat Gluten Free sometimes because of me.   What I get frustrated with is my weight will be down a few pounds and then shoot back up just before weigh in day!    I'm starting on Wednesday February 15th!

Archived