Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eatspinraverepeat

February 15th--Let's Do This

Recommended Posts

Confession: I had SWPO last night (Well, kind of. It was legit a snack I enjoy on it's own and eat at other times, and it's not on the "official" SWPO list, but I definitely violated the spirit of the rule). Everything was compliant so I'm not starting over, and I certainly could rationalize it, but I won't. I did what I did and I ate what I ate, and I had my reasons but I knew what I was doing. 

So, today is a new day. I made a breakfast frittata last night to make it through the rest of this week's breakfasts and it's super yummy. I'm planning on meatloaf and mashed potatoes/cauliflower tonight for dinner, which I'm excited about because it's one of my favorite meals anytime, although I will miss having ketchup with it! 

How is everyone else doing today? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MargretB - what is SWPO??  I think you're fine if you were compliant.  Not like you pigged out on chips or candy:o)

It's been a good day.  The real test for me is going to HH tonight.  I want to stay social, but, it is challenging!  Think I will see if Perrier water is worth the price tonight! And, I'll make sure I've eaten before I go.

Hope you all are having a great day #8!  Wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did everyone do today?

I was feeling especially run down, almost like as described in days 2-3 in the W30 timeline. My workout was really rough, and I felt tired walking up the stairs to my office. My energy picked up in the afternoon, especially after I ate lunch, but I'm curious if anyone else is feeling this way today on Day 8?

I hope to have more stamina for my workout tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MargretB said:

Confession: I had SWPO last night (Well, kind of. It was legit a snack I enjoy on it's own and eat at other times, and it's not on the "official" SWPO list, but I definitely violated the spirit of the rule). Everything was compliant so I'm not starting over, and I certainly could rationalize it, but I won't. I did what I did and I ate what I ate, and I had my reasons but I knew what I was doing. 

1

It's great that you are being honest about this. I feel like the best results will be seen if you, personally, hold yourself to the rules. 

Have you taken some time to think over why you had that indulgence? Were there triggers that sent you down that path? What's the game plan next time those triggers pop up?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How's everyone feeling today? Day 9!

I actually feel a lot better - puffiness (which I know was totally normal but still) has gone way down, I feel really energetic, and I'm still excited about my food. Had kind of a breakthrough last night, actually. My boyfriend (who is doing Whole30 with me and is doing amazing - and has visibly lost weight, so I definitely hate him!) and I LOVE Mexican food. Chips and salsa, chips and cheese dip, chips and guac, anything wrapped in a tortilla or in a taco shell or...you're seeing a trend here. One of our favorite meals to make at home is chili-rubbed steaks with homemade guacamole (recipes upon request!) with a lot of chips and Pancho's cheese dip. Last night we just did guac and steaks - not the most vegetable-filled dinner, but still compliant and healthy. About halfway through I looked at my boyfriend and said, "You know, I miss chips. But I would rather have this with no chips than not have it at all." For someone who is kind of persnickety about how food is served, this was huge for me!

Small challenge coming up on Saturday - I judge a regional history day competition (think science fair for history - I'm a history PhD student) for high schoolers, and breakfast and lunch are provided. It's SO EARLY I may just grab a hard boiled egg and Larabar in the am, and I'm not that tempted by the breakfast stuff they have anyway, but lunch is always so good, with lots of lasagna and bread and this amazing cake. There is a salad bar, so I'm going to hit that, but definitely going to be a challenge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

It's great that you are being honest about this. I feel like the best results will be seen if you, personally, hold yourself to the rules. 

Have you taken some time to think over why you had that indulgence? Were there triggers that sent you down that path? What's the game plan next time those triggers pop up?

I mean, it was the first day of my period. So thats obviously not going to happen again in the next 22 days.  And,  taking into account the results I see from my reintroduction, I absolutely plan to continue to indulge on that day if I need to, especially if it's something as innocuous as bananas and almond milk :) I fully own that I broke the spirit of the rules and confessed in the interest of full disclosure, but I don't see this as a particular problem going forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 9 almost behind us! I will admit it was a tough day.  I thought about candy and really had some cravings today.  Kind of a stressful day, so it shows me those habits need more time to be broken.  The good news is that I didn't indulge.   Stayed on plan.  I made some clarified butter this evening.  Super easy if anyone wants to try it.

@eatspinraverepeat - definitely recommend the book!  First half are the rules, the philosophy behind it and why the food groups are off limits and more.  The 2nd 1/2 is a cookbook.

I had two eating out situations this week.  I didn't get to choose where we were going in either situation for various reasons.   I would recommend that if you do go out, plan it and look at the menu in advance. It makes it a lot easier to plan and you can bring something in your purse if need be!  Last night at a wine bar, the only thing on the menu I could find was a grilled veggie and olive plate.  I wondered if there was sugar in the peppers.  I'll never know, but, with restaurant eating the ingredient list isn't always available.   I'm definitely going to limit or possibly cut it out for the next 20 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rgill said:

 

@eatspinraverepeat - definitely recommend the book!  First half are the rules, the philosophy behind it and why the food groups are off limits and more.  The 2nd 1/2 is a cookbook.

1

I'll have to buy it! :)

4 hours ago, Lizamtampa said:

I am starting March 1st.

Awesome! You will love it. Just make sure to take your time to plan ahead.

4 hours ago, MargretB said:

I mean, it was the first day of my period. So thats obviously not going to happen again in the next 22 days.  And,  taking into account the results I see from my reintroduction, I absolutely plan to continue to indulge on that day if I need to, especially if it's something as innocuous as bananas and almond milk :) I fully own that I broke the spirit of the rules and confessed in the interest of full disclosure, but I don't see this as a particular problem going forward. 

 

I'm glad it's not something you're worried about having issues with. I'm on a lot of forums right now, and see so many people who are not able to process the situation when they give into cravings, just explaining away that they can't do anything about it. Glad we're on the righteous Whole30 path, here.

 

Day 9 was great for me. I incorporated a small pre-WO bite o' almond butter, and that helped me power through the workout this morning. I feel 100% more energetic than yesterday, and have noticed my face is a bit slimmer. I have struggled with sleep the past few nights, and credit that entirely to my stress from work. Can you believe we are hitting double digits tomorrow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

Can you believe we are hitting double digits tomorrow?

Actually I can't, I lost a day somewhere in there and spent all of today thinking it was day 8! Finding out tomorrow is 1/3 of the way through is awesome :) 

I must be growing some absolutely fantastic new gut bacteria, because the last 24 hours have been *very* uncomfortable, to the point where it interrupted my sleep. I guess it was too much to hope I wouldn't have any bad side effects after I managed to skirt by without a sugar headache...I'm looking forward for this part to be over. 

The sleep I am getting must be good quality though. Because of the way my gut was feeling, I skipped coffee this morning. And I was fine! Usually I would have a caffeine headache without it. I'm considering switching to tea for the rest of this. I actually really enjoy good black coffee but I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine, so if I'm doing okay without it I'm thinking maybe I should take a break for the next 21 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm the only one who has not had improved sleep! I've woken up in the middle of the night or struggled to fall asleep all week. Hopefully it's just work-related stress as opposed to something I'm eating or not eating.

 

I don't want to go back to taking melatonin, but that always helped me sleep through the night. Has anyone tried night calm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

I think I'm the only one who has not had improved sleep! I've woken up in the middle of the night or struggled to fall asleep all week. Hopefully it's just work-related stress as opposed to something I'm eating or not eating.

 

I highly recommend magnesium glycenate! I know the moderator also mentioned magnesium. I take 200mg every night before bed & have been doing so for 5 or 6 years. It's a mineral that most of us are lacking & it helps with many things including sleep. I get the Metagenics brand from Amazon. The glycenate is important for quick absorption. Sort of expensive as far as supplements go, but, your sleep is worth it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, everyone. My wife and I also started on February 15th. I did a Whole 30 a few years ago by myself and I've found it easier this time going through it step by step with her.

Have a nice weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 10!! Double digits. I'm a little discouraged, I had to take my wedding ring off today as it was digging into my finger. Also experiencing some joint pain, but I feel like I'm rocking the diet! Drinking a decent amount of water, not sure what's going on there. But viva the single life!  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kimbo8 said:

Day 10!! Double digits. I'm a little discouraged, I had to take my wedding ring off today as it was digging into my finger. Also experiencing some joint pain, but I feel like I'm rocking the diet! Drinking a decent amount of water, not sure what's going on there. But viva the single life!  :P

Ha, that's hilarious! :)

I felt like that day before yesterday - I don't have any magical advice, just encouragement! Today my jeans that are a little tight under normal circumstances, and that I just washed, so super tight, are looser than ever. It's like a mysterious science-y hump to get over, but you've got this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day TEN!?! We're a third of the way through, y'all! 

Nothing too much to report here, although I sprung out of bed 10 minutes before my alarm, seemed to do everything more quickly, and even came into work a little early to catch up on some things, which never happens. Energy surge FTW!

Oh and I made mashed potatoes with chicken stock last night and it changed my life. For real. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still feeling good on this woe. Trying new foods. I think I need to ,ake sure to stay off the scale. I may not lose weight but the energy I'm getting each day is awesome! Still not getting the "best sleep".

  Question....I'm not crazy about olive oil in vinegrettes.....any suggestions? [ I don't like coconut oil either]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Brensuma said:

Question....I'm not crazy about olive oil in vinegrettes.....any suggestions? [ I don't like coconut oil either]

I see people making homemade dressing out of the homemade mayo like a ranch.  i'm not a mayo fan, so, haven't done anything but a balsamic vinaigrette.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late check-in, but happy to report another successful day. I did get ravenously hungry around 4:30 and ended up eating an RxBar to tide me over. Dinner came much later....after 7:30.

I haven't looked at the Whole30 timeline for a while. Is this time period just the new energy surge?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Brensuma said:

Question....I'm not crazy about olive oil in vinegrettes.....any suggestions? [ I don't like coconut oil either]

How about avocado oil? Or walnut oil works well with salads...? Macnut oil too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites