Starting March 1st

Taylor C.

Happy Day 13!  I was able to prepare for work lunches this week by making a pot of Whole30 compliant chili yesterday.  I have found that even though the rest of my family isn't doing Whole30, they are all eating much better than they used to.  Part of this is that I am just not buying the foods that I used to.  My 16yo son mentioned, while he and I were at the grocery yesterday, that "it's not bad" eating the new foods and that he is proud of his mama for holding strong and doing so well.  After a crazy Friday where I felt like I was tempted by everything (Fish Fry day), it was good to hear! :)  

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

last sunday i prepped a lot of food last week...this sunday i didn't do anything.  i will be heading to the store tonight after work because the prepping helped a lot!  without proper planning i know i'm setting myself up for failure...and failure is not an option!

Day 13 and I am feeling better. I have tried to up my fat intake and add a fist size portion a sweet potato to my meals. It has seemed to help. Saturday we went out to eat for both lunch and dinner. At lunch I took my own salad and at dinner I looked at the menu online beforehand and stuck to that compliant option. I guess I am getting better watching the family eat things that I have chosen not to eat for Lent. I haven't been on the forum or the Facebook pages in a couple days but it is great to know the support is here when I need it. Have a great day everyone, we are almost half done!

Happy Pi Day!  Everyone in the office is having pizza for lunch.  I brought my yummy chili and am looking forward to it. :)  Does anyone know if the plain spud from McAlister's is compliant?  I thought about getting a kid's spud to eat with my chili.

Hey everyone, I'm back to Day 1 today. Last night I got some bad news about my shoulder (MRI tomorrow, possibly surgery, definitely a ton of physical therapy) & I consoled myself with cake. But I'm back on the program this morning. I'm going to find another thread with folks who are starting around now. Good luck to you all!

I had to look up Pi Day.  3.14.  That's mathtastic!

It's day 14 and it's awesome to see everyone doing great!

@angledge You got this!  Leave the cake to yesterday and eat whole foods for a faster recovery from surgery.

@alcazn chili is much better than pizza!  You won't be crashing after lunch :)

@Leekeetria Food prep is so helpful.  I didn't do as much for this week and now wish I had.  I'm going to follow your lead and shop to night for some food prep.  I need some yummy sauces to top my food with! 

Thank you for everyone who is posting.  I was having a hard day and numerous weak moments a few days back.  I tried to reach out to my husband and friend by phone and no one was available.  I turned to this forum and after reading a few posts I was able to gather the strength I needed to stay strong.  We will be finishing week two tomorrow.  YAY, halfway.  I have a couple of social functions under my belt with one more big one coming before the end of the month but I am no longer concerned.  Some of our dinner conversations are focusing on what changes we can see ourselves making to our diet when the Month is over.  On another note, I put my toaster away.  It normally sits on the cupboard but I realized I have no need for it so out of the way it went.  This made more room for my InstantPot, which has not been in the cupboard since I started this.  Happy Pi Day!

@hchc I find comfort in reading what others have to say, as well.  Whether it is a good day or a bad day, I find some peace knowing that we are all experiencing the same things.  I have been looking at the Instant Pot.  What do you like/dislike about it?

@RabbitFood Thanks...the chili was much better than the pizza.  I also didn't have to wait in line for 45 minutes for it! :) 

Woot! Woot!!  Day 15 is here! :)  I hope that you are all still rocking the food choices today.  As for me, I opted for a baked potato yesterday after being sure that it was compliant.  It may be compliant, but it's not for me.  I feel sluggish today...similar to the last time I had potato.  I'm a bit disappointed as I love a good baked potato, but I don't like the feeling I get from it.  It's all about healthy, good-for-me choices, so I am crossing potatoes off of my list.  No worries...lots of other choices out there.  

Laura 

Happy Day 15!  Two weeks in the books!

@alcazn #NSV learning that potatoes make you feel less than stellar.  Someone should open a Whole30-inspired cafe/restaurant/food chain.  Something that combines need for a quick meal/takeout with the need for real food.  That way you could get some takeout that is actually real food and with options that don't make you sluggish.

@Jenny85 Congrats on no cravings!  I can't wait to be there.   

@hchc I'm interested in hearing about your thoughts on the instantpot, too :)

Working on my perspective this week.  I know that avoiding sugar and processed foods are good for us.  And I've increased fat, protein, and vegetables in every meal.  However, mentally, I continue to count the days until I can eat sugar.  I don't think it's a craving, I think (but don't know) it's more of a comfort.  I am trying to change my perspective from "I want chocolate" to "I want to relax", "I want to complete this report", or "I want some cuddle time".  I really am trying - writing my thoughts down, taking time at lunch to review the Hartwig books, reflecting on my feelings for chocolate.  Yet, I still want it.  And I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to eat it.  

On another note, has anyone found any statistics on Whole30?  How fun would it be to see the % of people who start and complete the Whole30?!  Or the % of people that don't last the 30 days?  Obviously, no one would have an exact number but Whole30 peeps could send an email with a short survey to everyone they do have contacts for, post a link for the survey on the Whole30 site, etc. . . . .  

@RabbitFood I think statistics would be interesting.  I haven't seen anything on it.  I wonder if your sugar issue is more of a control thing than a craving?  I know that, for me, it's been difficult to give up the control of having different foods and maintaining compliance.  Sugar may just be your contraband. ;)  I'll be interested to see if it's "all that" once you are able to have it again...or if it loses it's appeal.  The thought of meeting your Whole30 goal should should help alleviate any temptation.  You can do this.  

@Jenny85 The scale is such a difficult thing for me. I would venture to say that it's been the hardest thing about Whole30 for me.

Laura

happy day 15! 

@alcazni've been eating sweet potatoes, but i noticed that i felt that same way when i had white potatoes.  i think i'm with you in that while compliant, white potatoes will be removed from the meal planning rotation.   also i almost gave in to the scale yesterday morning...i resisted but i know every day until #31 is going to be a big struggle!

@RabbitFoodi'm with you in trying to work on my perspective and determine what it is i really want instead of the food i think i want.  for me i've noticed that while the compliant food tastes just as good, i still want cheese or sour cream with it!  well really it's only when i eat mexican food...but maybe it's because we associate certain things together that in reality aren't really related. 

@Mountain Girl Oh, the not being where my food is... My FIL is at a Residential Care facility, took a turn for the worst, and we've been living in the car two hours each way, at his bedside, the emotion and sleep deprivation and all of it. I packed snacks, thinking we'd tackle the "Eating Out" challenge, but this situation also made us not very hungry, so the snacks were oddly "enough". My husband is loving almond butter and apple or banana as his sweet tooth diminshes. 

And to all - that's why I haven't been around. Also, we've been getting the Daily 30, reading it together in the morning and then checking our "reward" in the evening, and it's been a real encouragement and has helped us stay on track.

It's March 15, DAY !!!!! WOO HOO!!! We are tackling a lot of molehills that wanted to be mountains. Yesterday, as I was at the hardware store register, the dark chocolate mint temptations were calling my name... I said "Hello" to them, than admitted outloud that I wanted chocolate and said immediately afterward "No, I don't want chocolate" and then at the grocery store right after that there was some other old sweet calling me, and I said the same thing. Then, it hit me -- emotional eating, cuz we're wiped out and my FIL is dying... so glad I realized it. And this morning's Daily 30 spoke right into what I went through.

There are a lot of little things to share, but I gotta go, just wanted to chaek in and say it's not easy BUT IT'S NOT HARD!! 

@BendySimcha sorry to hear about your FIL,but i have to say that you and your husband are absolute rockstars!  here i am struggling with "normal" day to day stuff and you two are tackling a very difficult situation and still managing to stay compliant.  i appreciate you sharing this with all of us...this is encouragement at its best!  

by the way...i love the "molehills that wanted to be mountains" and will definitely be stealing this phrase!

@alcazn @RabbitFood oh, yeah, potatoes. I have ended up remembering many years ago giving them up and reintroducing them and bloating and pain and.... OH NO!  And now that I know they are nightshade family, they have been on my 'don't' list for three years. I have not used potatoes these two weeks. About the sweet potatoes - totally different food family, so I want to say, was there another food there you hadn't had for a while... I am also realising that broccoli gives me bad gas, like it did when I was preggers. But cauliflower doesn't... I want to avoid broccoli again for several days or a week and see if it happens again, and maybe cook it longer.

@Leekeetria as above :-) and to you and @Jenny85 the scale....  @alcazn the scale... I actually have a daily app reminder in my phone and weighing in was on my daily checklist. I wanted to remove it, but decided to USE IT to resist the urge. The urge was there again this morning, and sure enough, the Daily 30 talked about it again. The scale is NOT my friend... how am I seeing that my body is changing... THAT's my "weigh-in" Think I'll try that. I am seeing/feeling my love-handles getting smaller. And my skin IS better.

I will weigh myself Day 31. What if I just chose another 30 day challenge and a "reward" is weighing in at the end if I succeed. Really? One day I will feel like the number doesn't matter? Who took that, tricked me, made it important?!? maybe some journalling about that will open an old emotional door... that I now need to lock and toss/lose the key to...

Half way there!! - Failure is not an option!! Thanks for that @Leekeetria, and borrow away.. we all need each other's encouragements. It is a real help this morning to be in here. And thank you for the sympathy. Here's a really weird connection -- in 2014, my gym did a sugar-free challenge, using Robert Lustig's great work to motivate us. We started 2/1, 50+ of us went a week, 20+ went a second week, 7 of us challenged ourselves to go till Easter, and my Dad died 2/23... I didn't falter and wasn't tempted. I know that is helping me as here we are, my husband doing this for the first time in his life, and I remembered this morning about 2014. I haven't told/asked him yet, if he remembers. 

Hello all, I am on day 4.  Experienced my first issue today - very urgent diarrhea about an hour after breakfast.  My pre-Whole30 morning meal was a pumpkin flax cereal.  I was too afraid to eat lunch because I was at work.  Could this just be my body adjusting?  Previously if I had any issue it would be constipation.  My previous diet included plenty of grains, rice, etc.  Help!  Other than this, although it has only been 4 days, I feel great!

Wi-fives all around for making it to day 15, everyone!  I hope things are getting easier and/or better.

I have been relying mostly on stir fries with a different protein and several kinds of vegetables in a garlic ghee "sauce."  These are quite tasty and satisfying, but when I feel hungry before a meal I deeply crave white, simple carbohydrates (I am a noodle fiend) and CHEESE!  Probably some sort of psychological barrier as some of you have hypothesized for your similar situations.

I did actually use a compliant mashed potato recipe (not once, but three times, eek!) to satisfy my need for comfort food.  I think I will try to eliminate them for the rest of the program as I did not feel great results from that choice.

Happy belated Pi day to all! What a great holiday :)

So happy we made it to Day 15!!!!! I'm still making good food choices and feeling better. With my kids home from college for spring break I have been cooking more meals. I make the protein compliant then they have side dishes that are non compliant. I'm glad we aren't making the fast food rounds for lunch like in the past. My daughter likes to bake so she made cookies the other day. Major NSV to ignore the cookies while everyone else is enjoying them. I have to do this a lot so it is getting easier but it would be great if the temptation wasn't there at all. The scale craving is actually not such a big deal recently. I am usually in a hurry to get out the door in the morning I don't even have time to think about it.  Good luck to everyone and I hope the next 15 days just keep getting better.

I celebrated day 15 with a nice round of Nordic Walking with my comrade. Walked a bit more than 7 km in 1 hour. Thats fine for me. Day 16 started for me with a freeletics workout. I feel really well at the Moment. But I am really scared now that the scale will show no significant changes at day 30. As a soldier, I have to loose weight. and I am going back to Afghanistan in July. I want to loose as much weight as I can in a healthy way until the flight. In Afghanistan I have no possibility to eat like I do now. I have to eat what the kitchen gives me...

@Jenny85  Thank you for your service.  I can imagine that the choices would be very limited there.

I, too, am worried about the scale, but I have a lot to lose.  I can tell that I am down some, so I am trying to focus on the good choices and the good vibes that I am feeling.  

Good morning, friends! I haven't checked in for a while, but just finished catching up on your wonderful posts. It's been a while, so I apologize for the lengthy post, but I am in need of some whole 30 therapy. 

First though... @BendySimcha @Leekeetria @Jenny85 @alcazn  (And anybody else struggling with scale issues)...I have a recommendation. THE SECRET OF YOUR NATURALLY SKINNY FRIENDS by Monica Swanson.  It's a very short book, but not meant to be read quickly. Each couple of pages is followed by a journaling prompt. It was eye opening to discover where my body images started, and empowering to find ways to decide for myself who I am and redefine myself beyond the scale. The book concludes with a 30 day "thought diet". I read it last summer and broke up with my scale after 10 years of daily weigh-ins. The first time I got on the scale was day 0 of my first whole30 in January. I probably don't need to reread the self discovery part at the beginning (where you find the roots of your self image), but the rest, I kind of want to do again in light of my whole 30 experience. And the thought diet is always good to come back to. Fulll disclosure: the author is Christian.  But the concepts are not, and she structures the book such that the "Christian" parts all fall in box insets titled "my story". Just skip those if it's not for you.

Now for the therapy' I will try not to ramble. I ran my first half marathon on Saturday and it KICKED MY BUTT. I was a full 21 minutes off my goal time. I know they say not to do something like that in the first two weeks of a whole 30, BUT I really didn't see it that way. My first whole 30 was 1/16-2/14. I only added a little stevia to my coffee for the first 4 days. Then we went to Paris, and I pretty much introduced everything for 5 days. Came back, and other than the stevia was compliant until I started with you guys on 3/1. (My goal being to do a whole lent and follow with a proper reintroduce...slowly) My second was nothing like my first in terms of cravings or difficulty.  I honestly felt great within the first 4 days, but I like journeying with others (and getting recipe ideas):rolleyes:  So, I thought I would be fine doing this race. I DID make sure to have a fist sized serving of fruit for breakfast and starchy veggies at lunch AND dinner everyday the week leading up to the race. So here are my questions:

Was it foolish? Should I always return to rice and beans and whole grains pre race?  I struggle sometimes with the concept of whole30 because I always resist quick fixes. I don't diet. I DO make healthy lifestyle changes. So I do whole 30 with a constant eye on how this looks post whole 30. I know it's not meant to be a whole365, but I also know that the changes we see during can't last if you just go back to your old eating habits. So what does a post whole30 life look like? And will I ever have the energy to truly CONQUER a half marathon while eating this way?  Because I never really felt the tiger blood in round one.  I felt pretty good a few days into round two...but not near enough to get me through my race.  

Im sorry to be a Debby Downer.  I'm just so frustrated with my performance.  But I really think there's something to this whole 30 stuff.  I lost 14 pounds in round 1! I am just struggling to figure out how whole 30 coexists with endurance training.

@Mountain Girl  First of all, congratulations for completing your first half-marathon!  That is quite an accomplishment itself.  As far as the rice/beans, I would do what you feel like your body needs for that type of endurance.  Of course, that isn't complaint, so you go back to the "don't do this during Whole30".  It's a vicious cycle. :)  This is my first round...and I am going to try to make it through Lent.  So far, so good.  Thank you for the book recommendation...I will check it out. 

Archived